Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-27-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunday is Cut down day....The Turk is coming....

Cutting edge: Cowboys' fringe players anxious
11:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Bruce Mays, the Cowboys' football operations director, is not a very popular person these days. When he asks to see players, they know it's not good and involves them taking their playbook to the head coach's office.

"It's hard to avoid him, because he sits out front every day where you have to walk in," rookie cornerback Jeff Sanchez said.

These are trying days for players such as Sanchez, linebacker Keith O'Neil and defensive tackle Shaun Smith, college free agents days away from fulfilling a dream of playing in the NFL or having to get on with their life's work.

Thursday's preseason finale against Oakland is their last chance to prove to the coaches in game situations that they can be reliable contributors to a 53-man roster coach Bill Parcells said is almost complete. At the very least, they would like to make the five-man practice squad.

"It's nerve-wracking right now," Smith said. "It reminds me of that Martin Lawrence movie, Life. All of the sudden, everyone is just gone."

Those three players sweated out Tuesday's first cut, but by 3 p.m. Sunday the roster has to be finalized, and even that will not provide closure because Parcells has indicated the team will scour other team's cuts, looking for talent.

"I told the players all along that you're not only competing against players on this team, but you're in competition with players on other teams that might be effective for us," Parcells said.

Twenty-three years ago Tuesday, O'Neil was born. It happened to be the same day his father, Ed, a linebacker being coached by Parcells, was cut by New England. In the first three preseason games, O'Neil has five tackles, an interception and a pass deflection. With starters Dat Nguyen, Al Singleton and Dexter Coakley entrenched and Markus Steele and Bradie James ahead of him, O'Neil could be caught in a numbers game.

"I try not to count, but I can't help it," O'Neil said.

It's not just the rookie free agents playing the waiting game. Because the knee injuries suffered by cornerback Derek Ross and defensive tackle Willie Blade will keep them out a few weeks, Parcells may have to keep more players at those positions than he planned. As a result, keeping four tight ends might be a luxury right now.

"[The final decisions] not only involve guys, but it could also involve situations," Parcells said. "They might be able to get into the mix if the situation allows them to."

A month ago, Sanchez was at Tulane ready to register for classes to complete his computer science degree.

Not only was he undrafted, he went without a phone call from any team in the days after the draft until the Cowboys offered him a chance on July 28.

In a short time, he has impressed Parcells, though the dropped interception at Pittsburgh last week did not help. He is second to Woody Dantzler in special teams tackles and has been around the ball.

"A lot of people were concerned about my height," said Sanchez, who is listed at 5-10, 175 pounds. "I guess that's a problem for a lot of coaches, but Coach Parcells looked past that and gave me the opportunity to make the team. Five weeks ago I was watching this stuff on TV, so it would mean a whole lot to me to make it."

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

<u>ON THE BUBBLE</u>
Pos. Player Staff Writer Todd Archer's comment

CB Jeff Sanchez Dropped interception vs. Steelers but has performed well.
CB Don McGee May be playing out of position. Better at free safety.
LB Keith O'Neil Has proven to be a reliable special teams player, backup.
DT Shaun Smith Lack of depth could help his chances.
WR Reggie Swinton Return ability helps set him apart.
WR Ken-Yon Rambo Hasn't made enough plays in the preseason.
WR Zuriel Smith Intriguing because of return ability but needs time as WR.
S Woody Dantzler Mental error led to decisive two-point conversion last week.
TE Tony McGee Injuries elsewhere could lead to one less tight end.
RB Adrian Murrell Lack of practice time could lead to departure.
DE Kevin DeRonde Situational pass rusher hasn't gotten to QB.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always amazed at the threads spambots choose to bump.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing this reminded me of the all-time quintessential d-m.com thread:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29200

Slow clap.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Seeing this reminded me of the all-time quintessential d-m.com thread:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29200

Slow clap.
Man... Just read that craziness all the way through again. Sheesh...

I still find it odd that the following was never really commented on by KG:

03-22-2007, 02:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting.

while following one of alexamenos' MULTITUDE of links to the picture of two scantily clad lesbians kissing ...
(for some reason, I follow that link EVERY time... will I never learn that all there is at the end is two scanily clad beautiful women kissing? )
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...ter#post666703

... in a PREVIUS thread about how much sombody thought drbio was a chump (unrelated to THIS thread bickering about drbio's chump-hood) I found this exchange beween drbio and kg_veteran (bottom of page 1, trough top of page 2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Internet message boards produce the weirdest behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Sociologist love it though kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I'm sure they do. Some of the threads on this board would make for a rather interesting sociological dissertation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
What a novel idea.

now, I just present the evidence.. it is up to you all to determine whether this means that doc got a "good idea" from this thread, or whether it was a "ha ha insider moment", or whether god crated man or man created god.... whatever.

and, simply for the love of science ... here is the offending picture:
http://www.kapowgifts.com/acatalog/k...ters-women.jpg