Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 08-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default ALL-PRO LB Porter shot!!

Steelers All-Pro LB Porter among six shot, in serious condition Aug. 31, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was seriously wounded when he was among six people shot early Sunday outside a bar following the Colorado-Colorado State football game.

Porter was in serious condition after being shot in the buttocks, but the injury wasn't life-threatening, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said. One of the other victims died, Jackson said.

Joey Porter made the Pro Bowl for the first time last season. (Getty Images)
Porter, 26, was not involved in any confrontation. The All-Pro linebacker, a five-year veteran, is a Colorado State graduate.

"He was an innocent bystander. There was no confrontation or altercation that we know of at this time," said Jackson.

No arrests were made.

Jackson said the shots were fired from outside a fenced-in parking lot where the victims were standing just before 2 a.m.

The dead man was identified as Christopher Wilford, 28.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said the team would not place Porter on injured reserve, which would sideline him for the season.

"The bullet entered his left buttocks and is lodged in his right thigh," Cowher said Sunday. "All the preliminary tests are being done and, at this time, it looks as though the bullet did not hit any vital organs. He is resting comfortably in the hospital and we are in the process of ... trying to fly him back here (Monday)."

Cowher did not speculate how long Porter would be out. Losing Porter for a substantial period would be a major blow to a defense that was the NFL's best in 2001 and ranked seventh overall last season.

"Joey's going to be fine; he'll be back," Cowher said. "He's a special guy and he'll be back."

Clark Haggans, who played mostly as a rush end in the Steelers' dime defense last season, likely will start Sunday's opener against Baltimore. Haggans also is a former Colorado State player.

Cowher talked to Porter on Sunday and said the linebacker was distraught over getting hurt with the season about to start. The Steelers otherwise came through the preseason with no serious injuries.

"He's as well as can be expected. He feels like he's let the football team down. He was really emotional," Cowher said.

Porter, a third-round draft pick in 1998, played in his first Pro Bowl last season. He became the first player since sacks became an official statistic in 1982 to have nine sacks and four interceptions.

Considered one of the league's best all-around linebackers, Porter also had two fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles last season. Against Oakland in the second game of 2002, Porter made 10 solo tackles, had three sacks and intercepted two passes, earning him to AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

"Joey's like a Broadway showman," Haggans said during training camp. "If he has any ability in something he likes to show it. He wants everyone to see it, like it."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated
Old 08-31-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

He may have been an innocent bystander and make no mistake about the tragic nature of this, but if he hadn't put himself into a late night bar scene it wouldn't have happened. If I were making the kind of money these guys are pulling in, I assure you I wouldn't be hanging out at bars at 2 in the morning.

At least he was smart enough to run. (got hit in the buttocks)
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: ALL-PRO LB Porter shot!!

They are human, and they are young guys. Nothing wrong with them going out and having a good time like regular folks. Dirk and Steve were on some pictures out having a good time one night, and was visibly wasted. I dont think anything is wrong with either, and it's not fair to expect those guys to stay at home all day every day. It's an unfortunate situation but even remotely blaming him for it is ridiculous. He was a innocent bystander, and can't control other peoples actions. If you were making the kind of money they were, where would you hangout and what time would you be in? Honestly.............
Old 08-31-2003, 08:59 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Did you bother to read my post? I said I would not do it. Honestly....if you are going to critique a post...read and understand the whole post.

What I said was......if I were making that kind of money, I wouldn't be out at 2am putting myself at risk to being shot, being accused of something, etc. I would be protecting my career and my income. I could party at home, at private parties where places are reserved, with friends, etc. Not too many things go right at 2am. I do not expect young men to be inside by 9pm. They should be careful however. The news is lined with examples of athletes being in the wrong place at the wrong times.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
The news is lined with examples of athletes being in the wrong place at the wrong times.
Kobe Bryant maybe? Both of your posts make total sense doc. Normally, the NFL players have parties at their homes, doing the same thing you would do at a bar. And out of all places, why hang around anywhere in Pennsylvania at 2. Isn't that in the top ten of states with high crime rates?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
The news is lined with examples of athletes being in the wrong place at the wrong times.
Kobe Bryant maybe? Both of your posts make total sense doc. Normally, the NFL players have parties at their homes, doing the same thing you would do at a bar. And out of all places, why hang around anywhere in Pennsylvania at 2. Isn't that in the top ten of states with high crime rates?
FWIW--I think you misread, Nash. The shooting occurred in Colorado.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

also it was after the CU - CSU game, and he went to CSU, so he had a reason to be there. And the game didn't end to far before 2, so he just had some bad luck. Sometimes i guess SHIT really does happen
Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I certainly don't think he did anything to provoke it. I was just trying to say I would be extremely protective of my career if I were pulling in that kind of money and was fortunate enough to play a professional sport for a living.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

That couldve happened at one of their homes, he was not the blame for it. I cant bring myself to put one ounce of the blame for that unfortuniate situation on him. You can't control other peoples actions, and if he were at someones house at a party, I believe it couldv'e happened. I am not saying it would, but its definitely possible, which is all I am saying. I think these guys should be human first and foremost, but that's just my opinion.