Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breaking News.... Chan Ho pulled from tonights start

Could be injury, could be designated for assignment... could be trade?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Breaking News.... Chan Ho pulled from tonights start

Reportedly traded.....

details in a sec...
Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Trade between Rangers and San Diego.

Chan Ho for Phil Nevin.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

okay, its been a sec!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, they tried to trade Nevin to the Orioles for Ponson, but he invoked his no-trade clause.'

Interesting. I may get blasted for this, but I'd just assume they kept Ho.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

So he's our DH then?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

That would be my guess.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

What is the length of his contract U2? Any idea?

Old 07-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

What is the length of his contract U2? Any idea?

Old 07-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

From a Google search it expires next season.

edit: He is still owed around 5 mil this year and 10 mil next.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Nevin can play catcher, right?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #12
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Breaking News.... Chan Ho pulled from tonights start

Nevin only has a partial NTC, Texas is not on the list. ESPN has Chan Ho having a full NTC, which I didn't know about & is completely insane, but they say he's good w/going to San Diego. I am guessing Nevin can back up catch while Barajas is out & be our righthanded DH. If they move Dellucci to St Louis, he'll go full time.

If they actually work out the money part of this where we aren't paying Chan Ho's entire salary, I will be amazed. This just flew out of nowhere.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, Chan Ho and Nevin were rumored to be a part of the Orioles trade scenario but it fell through. I guess John Hart pulled this one out after that deal. Outstanding move. Although he has had a decent year, Chan Ho was not going to pitch like he had in LA while in Texas. Park is reportedly thrilled to waive his NTC to go back west.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

How funny....Chan Ho traded to San Diego on Korea Night at the ballpark. Wierd irony. Honestly though I feel really bad for the korean fans who showed up tonight expecting Chan Ho to pitch.

Tom Grieve just reported the deal was submitted to the league for approval.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #15
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Updated from ESPN w/quotes from the clubs to confirm it. Nevin doesn't sound upset w/it, which is good.

The timing makes sense for sure, w/the Rangers facing a couple of lefties coming up & Barajas's condition in the air. Who gets Chan Ho's rotation spot? If they stick CJ Wilson in there for Kenny (gag), who's left? Someone in Triple A? JuanDom? I guess maybe give Wasdin another shot? He did pretty good tonight...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

Nevin's numbers on the year:
.256 9HR 47RBI 31R 1SB

Career .276 hitter, can play 1B, 3B, C, & corner OF. Historically hits lefties better than righties.

The more I look at this deal, the better it looks.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

What's not to like? Seriously, dump Chan Hopeless and getting a power hitter in return too? John Hart should be named exec of the year for this trade alone.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This is truly a sad day in Rangers land, the likes of which have not been seen since Nolan Ryan threw his last fastball in the white and blue. To lose a franchise cornerstone and genuine fan favorite strikes at the very core of even the most casual Rangers fan. I can only hope that the boys in Arlington rise like a phoenix from the ashes of this trade and soar anew into a rebirthed era of dominance on the mound.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #19
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
What's not to like? Seriously, dump Chan Hopeless and getting a power hitter in return too? John Hart should be named exec of the year for this trade alone.
The Rangers are first in the league in home runs and third in SO's. They have plenty of power hitters that strike out alot already.

If nothing else, Chan-Ho was a warm body on the mound. I know that's not a very high standard, but we are talking about the Rangers here.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Nevin can play catcher, right?
Since the season's over anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing them call up Laird.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 AM   #21
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
This is truly a sad day in Rangers land, the likes of which have not been seen since Nolan Ryan threw his last fastball in the white and blue. To lose a franchise cornerstone and genuine fan favorite strikes at the very core of even the most casual Rangers fan. I can only hope that the boys in Arlington rise like a phoenix from the ashes of this trade and soar anew into a rebirthed era of dominance on the mound.
*snicker*

I don't really think it's so much a matter of Nevin being a power hitter as him being able to hit lefties. That's going to be his main value here. Also, this doesn't have anything to do w/it, but read his quotes about leaving SD if you get a chance. He comes across as very classy.

On the other side, sure, Chan Ho's done somewhat better this year, but I still think it's got to be psychologically taxing on the hitters whenever he goes out there to produce run support. Plus he takes forever when he's pitching, what a beat down it must be to play behind him. I don't see how whoever will replace him will be less consistent than he has been.

Is Laird still on the DL?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Is Laird still on the DL?
Apparently, you are right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to discredit what Chan Ho did this year. When he lost, he was terrible. But, in the 15 starts in which he won the game or got a no decision, he was pretty good. Honestly, if the Rangers get that out of whoever takes his place to end this season, I will be thrilled.

It was a good deal, but I hope that everyone realizes that Chan Ho wasn't that bad this year. The Rangers might not actually have anyone that could be as productive as he was that is available to take his place.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

He has a 5.66 ERA and a .299 BA against.

He was *slightly* less terrible than in previous years. The only reason his record was decent was his amazing run support.

We're not contending for anything this year anyway, so I don't really care what his replacement does this year. We got rid of the Ho, got a struggling Righy slugger who might or might now get back to form in Arlington. If he doesn't, it's a lateral move. If he does, it's a wonderful, wonderful trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

From WufDog over at Dallasbaseballhome.com

Quote:
.....actually, I'm not sure we did...........in looking at the Ho's 20 starts this year, his performance could clearly be seperated into 3 categories. (1) his 8 wins...where he had a shiny 3.10 ERA (2) his 5 losses...racking up an 11.51 ERA (3) his 7 non-decisions...posting a 5.11 ERA in the process. When he won...he was pretty damn good. When he lost...he was god-awful. The rest of the time he was a #5 caliber starter. Conclusion...15 out of 20 starts he was at least a pretty servicable #5 starter or better.
Sorry Thig...you're a bit off..... The reason why he has a decent record is that he pitches pretty well most of the time on a good hitting team. But, when he's bad, he's really bad.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #26
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Hate to say it but, Chan "Ho-peless" Park will thrive in the pitcher friendly, laid back settings of Petco Park in San Diego. This place (Petco) is tailor made for fly-ball pitchers to succeed and for home run hitters to die. In San Diego, he will resurrect his career.....

But in that sense, give Nevin some playing time (AB's) and he too will succeed in hitter friendly Ameriquest Field. He, like many other Padre hitters, was robbed numerous times of homers in Petco that would have flown out of Ameriquest Field. In fact, I believe it was Nevin that complained about the depth of the fences at Petco to the media that caused a fan backlash as taxpayers footed a rather large bill to get that ballpark built. He wont have to worry about fences in Arlington, though. So in essence, this trade will benefit both players in the long run.

My question is, why is Texas giving up one of its starting pitchers for another hitter? You guys need another starter in that rotation more then anything....
Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Pitches pretty well most of the time??

Um...no. He does pitch well SOME of the time. If he pitched well most of the time he would be a better pitcher and would get better results.

The fact of the matter is, even with his best year for us this year, he was on the level of a #4 starter at best. A non-contending team has no reason to hang onto a guy that is at best a #4 starter next year, when they have young pitchers to look at possibly, and can get a possible candidate for their full time DH next year.

It is entirely possible that Chan Ho thrives in Petco, and Nevin thrives here, and both teams win.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Considering he has given up three runs or fewer in 11 of his 20 starts...It's safe to say that most of the time, he has pitched more than well enough to keep the Rangers in games. No, obviously not top of the rotation type stuff, but he has kept the Rangers in games or better most of the time. There's no disputing that. And no, I'm not advocating that he was a good pitcher at all or anything this year. I'm simply saying that more often than not, he pitched well enough to keep the Rangers in games. It might not be easy to replace that. No, it might not be much, but it's something.

But with his run support, when he pitched good...he usually got a win.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Fair enough, but when you're talking about "keeping the Rangers in games" and yet he's generally lucky to make it into the 7th, he's not even eating innings. That to me equals 4th or 5th starter, in his very BEST year for us. So certainly there's nothing wrong with getting rid of him in a year we're not contending for anything in attempt to fill a hole in the lineup. Agreed?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Oh, I definitely agree that he's a 4th-5th type starter at best. He's done a mediocre job this year. But, mediocrity might be hard for the Rangers to replace without rushing some of their prospects that they don't want to rush. Who's going to take his starts? Wilson? Dominguez? Wilson doesn't have his arm strength. As far as I know, he's still on an 80 pitch limit. Dominguez is a head case...good stuff but a head case.

Personally, I'd love to see Dominguez. My goal this year for the Rangers starting pitching was this.... Find out about Dominguez, Rodriguez, and Benoit. Perhaps that'll happen. If they can hit on one or two of those guys...Solid mid to bottom of the rotation type guys....I'd be thrilled.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

My point is I don't really care who takes his starts this year. Now, if we're still stuck in this situation next year, that's a problem. But if we have any hope of doing something next year, we needed a Righty bopper, and we SHOULD, theoretically, be able to replace our bottom of the rotation guys.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #32
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I sure do hope we manage to pick up a starter somewhere. Losing is one thing. Losing BIG is quite another.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #33
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

i really feel like this move screams Hidalgo or Sori is getting traded. Probably hidalgo.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #34
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

HOPEFULLY it's Hidalgo. I'm not ammused by him.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

According to Tom Grieve, the Rangers players had "Lost faith in Chan Ho". You absolutely have to move him. John Hart pulled off what was probably thought to be the impossible......he traded the singlemost worst signing in Texas Rangers basebaall history. Hitting Chan Ho in Texas was like hitting off a teeball stand.

He probably will fare better in the NL. He now goes back to a pitchers park and there is no DH. But noone can say anything more than "he sucked here". I praised him a little this year for not allowing a homer every second batter, but when the teammates don't believe in you, it's time to cut bait.

Thank goodness he is gone.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Apparently Park 'gave up' his last start and wanted out of the game after the first inning. To get out of the game, some thought he intentionally threw pitches over the middle of the plate.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Anyone wanting to read a very good, although depressing article, check out Scott Lucas' blog.

http://rangers.scottlucas.com/

For anyone not wanting to read the whole article, Baseball Prospectus has a collection of statisctics called VORP (Value over Replacement Player), which guages a player's worth, and in a nutshell, Park is literally 2nd from the bottom of pitchers over the past four years, making him quantifiably one of the worst pitchers in baseball.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2005, 06:07 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

Yet another reason to thank God and John Hart that he is long gone.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #39
ames7
Diamond Member

0-4 hitting cleanup(!) for Nevin today, but in the 2 ABs I saw at least, he was really working the count. So I guess that's a good sign.

I still think Hank doesn't need to be hitting that far down since he's actually relatively patient compared to most of the lineup. Not sure I'm a big fan of the lineup today.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

After all of the hype, the trade deadline was nothing more than a fizzle. I'm glad the Rangers played hardball with Soriano, but I sure wish they had dumped Hildago.