Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold
Default 2008 Cowboys Off-season Thread

Last thing i've heard was a trade rumor going on about trading barber and some of our picks for to the Dolphins for their pick.... not sure.

So what players do we need to add or resign?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas needs to resign Hamlin, Barber, Canty, Loudeur and maybe Flo.
Let JJones, Reeves, Thompson and Nate Jones go.

Dallas needs to draft a speed back, (just a guess but Felix Jones from Ark) in the late first.

Dallas needs another WR, preferably one with speed to replace Glenn who might be undergoing microfracture. Roy Williams (Detroit) is said to be on the market for a #2 and might be a good pickup to put opposite TO -- he has stated his desire to move back to Texas.

Dallas needs another bigger NG - Fergy is coming back, but Ratliff and Tank are really a little light. Shawn Rogers who is way out of shape but can be dominating is supposedly available from Detroit. Not sure if Dallas is interested or not in him.

Dallas could use one or two more corners. Reeves was toast as the #3 guy and probably wants more than min. I am guessing they use a high pick on corner. No team ever seems to have enough cover corners in todays NFL. There are a couple FA out there in Trufaunt, and A Samuel, but I doubt Dallas pays the big bucks since they need to resign TNew this year.

Dallas has approx 15M to work with right now, but lot of big pay-outs if they keep Hamlin, Flo, and Barber.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202

Dallas needs to draft a speed back, (just a guess but Felix Jones from Ark) in the late first.

Dallas needs another WR, preferably one with speed to replace Glenn who might be undergoing microfracture. Roy Williams (Detroit) is said to be on the market for a #2 and might be a good pickup to put opposite TO -- he has stated his desire to move back to Texas.

Dallas needs another bigger NG - Fergy is coming back, but Ratliff and Tank are really a little light. Shawn Rogers who is way out of shape but can be dominating is supposedly available from Detroit. Not sure if Dallas is interested or not in him.

Dallas could use one or two more corners. Reeves was toast as the #3 guy and probably wants more than min. I am guessing they use a high pick on corner. No team ever seems to have enough cover corners in todays NFL. There are a couple FA out there in Trufaunt, and A Samuel, but I doubt Dallas pays the big bucks since they need to resign TNew this year.

Dallas has approx 15M to work with right now, but lot of big pay-outs if they keep Hamlin, Flo, and Barber.
there's some good corners who are coming out - Jenkins, Mckelvin, Rodgers-Cromartie - hopefully we can get one of those guys with our first pick and a good young RB or WR with our 2nd number one pick. Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall - would be happy with any one of those guys. Lots of talk about trading up for Mcfadden but hopefully not - as dalmations listed, we have quite a few areas of need and there's some good talent that should be available when we draft.

Regarding NT, i'd disagree about picking up another NT, at least with a high draft pick. Assuming Ferguson returns, we should be very solid with him and Tank in the middle, and Ratliff swinging over to DE. Also, Tank is still young and hopefully will have a full TC to get work in.

I'm guessing we'll end up keeping Reeves, but i do hope that either a draft pick or one of our guys from last year (Ball, Brown) can actually step in and take that spot. Hoping also that we can keep Hamlin - not sure if Pat Watkins is ready yet, but he did seem better this past year than his rookie year.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting Game
Cowboys Trying To Fill Final Coaching Staff Pieces

dallascowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - The season that actually counts is now officially in the books.

Some 13 Cowboys players still have a game left to play as they head over to Hawaii for this Sunday's Pro Bowl, where a league-record baker's dozen will participate for Dallas.

It's unlikely the Pro Bowl can generate anything close to the excitement from Sunday's Super Bowl XLII shocker, in which the Giants became the first team to beat New England all year.

While some will debate what the game meant in a historic context, it might help settle the NFL coaching carousel. And the potential domino effect could play a role in the Cowboys' attempt to finalize their own coaching staff.

Last week, the Cowboys interviewed veteran defensive coach Dom Capers for an unidentified position on the staff. The Cowboys have just one vacant spot - linebackers coach - but it appears as if head coach Wade Phillips has considered creating a consultant-type spot for Capers, who has been a head coach twice in Carolina and Houston and spent the last three years as the Dolphins' defensive coordinator.

Over the weekend, the Cowboys reportedly met with former Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, possibly for the same type of assistant position as Capers. Unlike Capers, Williams does have experience coaching linebackers, a position he held in Tennessee before becoming the Titans' defensive coordinator from 1999-2000.

Williams was recently fired by the Redskins, a surprising move considering he not only interviewed for their vacant head coaching job multiple times last month but also was considered the leading candidate.

Instead, Williams and offensive coordinator Al Saunders were dismissed by Washington owner Daniel Snyder last week.

While the Redskins reportedly have met with former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci about the opening, they now want to talk to Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, whose defense shut down the Patriots' offense in New York's 17-14 victory.

Now how does all of this relate to the Cowboys?

If Spagnuolo leaves the Giants for Washington, it would open up a defensive coordinator position in New York.

That could be an ideal destination for Williams, a veteran defensive coach with a proven 4-3 scheme he could install with the Giants. Not to mention he has experience in NFC East division, given his tenure with the Redskins.

Capers also could be an option despite his history of running a 3-4 defense. While the Giants' personnel is more fit for a 4-3, Capers does have a history with Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, having served as the defensive coordinator in Jacksonville from 1999-2000 when Coughlin was head coach.

The Cowboys have only a linebackers coaching position currently available, so it's unlikely they could offer a position that could compare to the opportunity of coaching the defense of the reigning Super Bowl champions.

So depending on how these dominoes fall and whether the Cowboys have other candidates in mind, which is also possible, it could take a few days to sort out the final pieces of their coaching staff puzzle.

So far this off-season, the Cowboys have lost four coaches to the Dolphins, including Tony Sparano, who took over as head coach in Miami. He brought with him Todd Bowles, Paul Pasqualoni and Kacy Rodgers, all but raiding the Cowboys' defensive side of the staff.

Since their departures, the Cowboys hired Hudson Houck to coach the offensive line, a position Sparano held, and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett assumed his assistant head coach responsibilities. Houck coached the Cowboys' line for nine seasons from 1993-2001. Since then he has coached in San Diego and Miami, working with both Phillips and Garrett, the team's backup quarterback in Dallas from 1993-99.

The Cowboys replaced Rodgers on the defensive line with Todd Grantham, who spent the last three years as the Browns' defensive coordinator.

Next, the Cowboys brought back former head coach Dave Campo as the team's secondary coach to replace Bowles. Campo coached the Cowboys to three straight 5-11 seasons as head coach from 2000-02. He has since held a defensive coordinator position in Cleveland and spent the last three years in Jacksonville, where he was the assistant head coach/secondary coach for the Jaguars.

With Campo and Grantham, the Cowboys now have three position coaches who previously have been a coordinator in the NFL, along with receivers coach Ray Sherman.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I think the boys have to resign barber and canty. I would franchise Flo to get him for one year until a replacement (maybe mcquistin) is ready. I don't know about Hamlin I think if the right corner (Aqib Talib or Leodis Mckelvin) with one of the first round picks I think Henry makes a smooth transition to FS. I think the other first rounder has to be on the offensive side of the ball since we have to stock young players there. I like Deshaun Jackson or Felix Jones here.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202

The Cowboys have a lot of money put into the nose guard position. I don't see them adding Rogers huge contract and he's lazy as hell. I think we have to remember that his team does want to stay under the salary cap and to my knowledge the Cowboys are in good shape as far as the salary cap goes but bringing in both Roy Williams and Shawn Rogers would do some damage to that.

I see this team definately bringing back Marion Barber and Canty. Nate Jones and Jacque Reeves will be back but the Boys won't overpay to keep them and rightfully so. The corner spot is the hardest spot to fill with solid players. I'd hope if they let Jacque Reeves walk they have someone better in mid via free agency or the draft. Flozell is in the same sitiuation. Will be brought back for hte right price but not overpriced. Not sure if he'll be back since this team did let Larry Allen walk.Julius will definately be gone. I think the Cowboys wouldn't mind keeping him for cheap to back up Barber but Jones wants to start in this league. I wish him the best.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

NFC Pro Bowl Squad Has Definite Cowboys Flavor

IRVING, Texas - For about three-fourths of last year's final roster, the season has been over the day the Giants knelt down the ball to secure the shocking playoff upset at Texas Stadium.

But for the rest, one game remains.

No, it won't be met with the same intensity or excitement, but 13 Cowboys players will get one more game this season: Sunday's Pro Bowl in Hawaii. For some it will be a chance to relax and enjoy the camaraderie with the other players. For others, it could be a chance to possibly to try and erase, or even suppress, the bitter disappointment that probably still exists from the final loss to the Giants.

No team in NFL history had ever sent more than 11 players to the Pro Bowl, much less 13. So the Cowboys will be making history this Sunday when the NFC squad takes the field.

While seven of these players have been before, it will be a new experience for six Cowboys, including 10-year veteran Greg Ellis, who was added to the roster due to an injury to Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

"I'm going to have to ask these young guys what you talk about over there at the Pro Bowl," Ellis said the day he learned he would be making his first appearance. "It's a great feeling to be honored to be going to the Pro Bowl. You can't put too much on it. A lot of guys like myself that have never been and they should've gone, in my opinion. But when your number is called to go, it's a tremendous honor."

Other veterans making their first trip to the game include guard Leonard Davis and safety Ken Hamlin - both of whom will be starting. Other first-time Pro Bowlers are cornerback Terence Newman, kicker Nick Folk and running back Marion Barber.

Here's a closer look at the 13 players expected to play in Sunday's Pro Bowl, with a glance at their season and what their future might hold with the Cowboys:

Terrell Owens - No current Cowboys player has been to more Pro Bowls than T.O., who makes his sixth trip to the game. Owens is also going with his third different team. Owens led the Cowboys with 1,355 receiving yards and 15 touchdown catches, setting a new franchise record. Owens will be starting the game alongside Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald. The NFC backup receivers are Green Bay's Donald Driver and the Rams' Torry Holt. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said two weeks ago that he plans to pick up the $3 million roster bonus due to Owens on June 3. Owens is entering the last year of the three-year contract he signed in March of 2006.

Roy Williams - Headed to Hawaii for the fifth straight year, Williams certainly isn't coming off a banner season for the Cowboys. Not only did his production slip, but his season was marred by yet another horse-collar infraction, prompting the NFL to suspend him for one game late in the season. Williams was added to the Pro Bowl roster as a reserve in place of the Sean Taylor, an honorary selection for the late Redskins safety who was tragically killed in November. Williams was second on the team with 115 tackles but failed to record a sack or a tackle for loss.

Jason Witten - After enjoying the most decorated season by a tight end in franchise history, Witten will be starting his first Pro Bowl, although he's going for the fourth straight year. Witten finished second in NFL history in single-season catches by a tight end with 96, a career-high. He also added another personal-best with 1,145 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. Witten is now one of two tight ends in club history with at least four Pro Bowl selections, trailing only Jay Novacek (five). Witten will be playing in front of Redskins tight end Chris Cooley in Sunday's game.

Flozell Adams - The Cowboys left tackle is making his fourth Pro Bowl selection in the last five years. Since suffering a torn ACL in the middle of the 2005 season, Adams has returned for two straight Pro Bowl trips. Adams is an unrestricted free agent but has hinted he wants to return to the Cowboys to possibly finish his career. The question will be how long of a contract offer the club extends to Adams, who will turn 33 in May.

Tony Romo - The Cowboys quarterback was selected for a second straight appearance, initially as a backup to Green Bay's Brett Favre, who has since opted out of the game. Romo is expected make his first Pro Bowl start following last year's exciting debut. Romo engineered a pair of game-tying scoring drives in the final minutes, although the AFC prevailed with a last-second field goal. Romo enjoyed one of the finest seasons by a quarterback in Cowboys history, setting single-season records for completions (335), passing yards (4,211) and touchdown passes (36). The other NFC quarterbacks are Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck and Tampa Bay's Jeff Garcia.

DeMarcus Ware - Another repeat selection, Ware now has two Pro Bowl trips in his three-year career. Ware finished second in the NFL and first among linebackers with 14 sacks. Ware has three of the franchise's five-highest season sack totals by a linebacker, with eight as a rookie in 2005, 11 ½ in 2006 and then 14 this past season, to go along with his team-high 27 quarterback pressures. Last year, the NFC squad played mostly a 4-3 scheme and Ware played the game as an outside linebacker, but did get the opportunity to rush the quarterback in passing situations.

Andre Gurode - The Cowboys center is going back for his second Pro Bowl trip. But after being added as a last-second alternate last year, Gurode will be starting for the NFC this season. Gurode is one of four Pro Bowl centers in Cowboys history along with Mark Stepnoski (three), Ray Donaldson (two) and Dave Manders (once).

Leonard Davis - One of six first-time selections, Davis has been criticized over the years for failing to make the Pro Bowl as a former No. 2 overall pick of the Cardinals. But Davis had been playing both guard and tackle during his six years in Arizona, and in Dallas he showed that guard is likely his best position. Davis started all 16 games and has never missed a start in 107 career games. He'll get the chance to start again Sunday in Hawaii.

Greg Ellis - Finally, the veteran pass-rusher is going to the Pro Bowl. Playing defensive end in a 4-3 scheme for eight years, Ellis had never recorded more than nine sacks in a season. He had 4 ½ before suffering a torn Achilles injury in 2006. But a career-high 12 ½ sacks this past season despite missing three games not only earned Ellis the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award, but a trip to the Pro Bowl as well. Like Ware, Ellis will probably play some outside linebacker, but should get a decent amount of reps at defensive end.

Ken Hamlin - While it's hard to argue with the Davis acquisition, signing Ken Hamlin might have been the best off-season move by the Cowboys in 2007. Hamlin was the quarterback of the defense. He set career-highs in tackles with 103 and five interceptions, second-most on the team. Hamlin was initially a backup in the Pro Bowl but moved into the starting spot for Sean Taylor. Hamlin is one unrestricted free agent the Cowboys are likely targeting to re-sign. He signed a one-year deal last March with the hope he could play his way into a bigger contract. He has certainly done that, and now the Cowboys have to make sure he will remain in Dallas.

Terence Newman - Another first-time selection that is probably long overdue. Newman was hobbled some by nagging injuries to his foot and knee, but he was able to play 13 games and prove once again that he's one of the NFL's top cover corners. Newman finished the season with four interceptions and tied for the team lead with 15 pass deflections. Newman is the NFC's third cornerback behind starters Marcus Trufant of Seattle and Green Bay's Al Harris.

Marion Barber - Could be the only position player in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl without starting a regular-season game. But Barber was the primary tailback all season long and just missed a 1,000-yard season, finishing with a career-best 975 yards. He had 10 rushing touchdowns and added two more receiving scores as well. Barber is a restricted free agent and his name has been tossed around in potential trade talks, although Jones has said publicly he has no intention to trade Barber. So when he takes the field Sunday, backing up Minnesota's Adrian Peterson and Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook, don't expect it to be the final time Barber wears a Cowboys helmet.

Nick Folk - He becomes the first Cowboys kicker since 1981 to make the Pro Bowl and first rookie since Emmitt Smith in 1990. Folk finished fourth in the NFL and second in the NFC in scoring with 131 points. He also set a Cowboys scoring record for place-kickers. Folk became a household name in an October win over the Bills, when he not only had a perfect onside kick in the final seconds to give the Cowboys possession, but then nailed a 53-yard field goal that was nullified when Buffalo called a timeout just before the play. But the rookie calmly drilled another 53-yard kick again with no time remaining, giving the Cowboys an improbable 25-24 win that kept them undefeated at 5-0. Folk made 26 of 31 field goals this season and all 53 extra-point tries.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Yahoo.com - Reggie Herring will coach in the state of Texas next season although it will not be at A&M, according to a Yahoo Sports report.

Herring was named as the Cowboys' new linebackers coach Saturday just over a month after joining the Aggies as a defensive coordinator.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

what's the word on Herring?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
snoop

from ap hope this helps

The 48-year-old Herring coached Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl after the Razorbacks fired Houston Nutt. Three days after the Jan. 1 game, Texas A&M head coach Mike Sherman hired Herring as his defensive coordinator.

Herring had been the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Arkansas for the past three seasons. He was the Houston Texans linebackers coach from 2002-03.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see the pro bowl highlights? T.O. 2 td's 8 receptions for 101 yards. A. Peterson 169 yards, 2TDS

hmmmm McFadden ANYONE?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just before that, a comical kickoff runback attempt by Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware resulted in a fumble at the NFC 29 recovered by Baltimore's Ed Reed.
RECAP
I kind of want to see a clip of this just for kicks.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
what's the word on Herring?
He literally did nothing to improve the linebackers while at Arkansas. Just my opinion, but I think they've been pretty horrible since his arrival. Of course, he didn't recruit. With the NFL, who knows. Maybe he'll be okay.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
He literally did nothing to improve the linebackers while at Arkansas. Just my opinion, but I think they've been pretty horrible since his arrival. Of course, he didn't recruit. With the NFL, who knows. Maybe he'll be okay.
here's hoping.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
snoop

I saw that carolina cut Mike Wahle today I would love to bring him in if you can get him at a good deal to compete with Kyle kosier who I think is the weak link on the O-Line
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
snoop

there are rumors KC might cut Ty law, any interest?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 AM   #17
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
there are rumors KC might cut Ty law, any interest?
henry/newman are certainly up to the job..unless we get law to replace roy williams I cant see any spot for him on our roster. Hamlin did a decent job last year as well.

Although on second thought, he might be a good rotation guy to keep newman and henry from getting winded during long defensive stretches. how much would law cost I wonder?

Last edited by Ninkobei; 02-20-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #18
snoop

AP - The Cowboys designated Ken Hamlin their franchise player on Thursday, locking up the safety through at least next season, as reported by the Associated Press.

The move means Hamlin has a one-year contract at the average base salary of the top five safeties: $4.4M. It also keeps the unrestricted free agent off the market and extends the window to negotiate a long-term deal.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #19
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Dang, i was sure we were gonna use the franchise tag on Flozell Adams.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
Dang, i was sure we were gonna use the franchise tag on Flozell Adams.
9+ million to franchise him for one year. No thanks at that price. Hopefully we will get him cheaper than that or there won't be any FA signings to speak of this year other than our own.

Berrian isn't being franchised. That is who I would go after hot and heavy. 71 receptions and almost a thousand yards this year with the equivalent of a turd throwing the football to him. He is only 27 and would make one hell of a #2 behind TO. When TO leaves he could step into the #1 spot while Crayton and the WR we pick in round 1 or 2 of this draft moves his way up our depth chart, (Sweed possibly).
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
9+ million to franchise him for one year. No thanks at that price. Hopefully we will get him cheaper than that or there won't be any FA signings to speak of this year other than our own.

Berrian isn't being franchised. That is who I would go after hot and heavy. 71 receptions and almost a thousand yards this year with the equivalent of a turd throwing the football to him. He is only 27 and would make one hell of a #2 behind TO. When TO leaves he could step into the #1 spot while Crayton and the WR we pick in round 1 or 2 of this draft moves his way up our depth chart, (Sweed possibly).
Berrian is not a #1 receiver... i think he'd be a good #2, but this guy has hands of stone. Not saying that Rex/Griese were awesome but the Bears problems extended beyond the qb position and Berrian had his share of miscues...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
Berrian is not a #1 receiver... i think he'd be a good #2, but this guy has hands of stone. Not saying that Rex/Griese were awesome but the Bears problems extended beyond the qb position and Berrian had his share of miscues...
Hands of stone? Man, I haven't read that anywhere. I have read a lot of positive on the guy. He simply hasn't had a QB to throw the ball to him. He may not be a number 1 but we wouldn't be paying him #1 money in the first place. Hopefully our future number 1 is getting ready for the combine.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Roy Williams (Det) also know as RUT really available for a 2nd round pick?

If he is, isn't that the route to take, and draft a burner in the 4th range?

IMO, if they believe DMac is a franchise back (Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, even Eric Dickerson type) -- one that is a home run threat each time he touches the ball. Then Dallas should try to take both first, Fascano, and Carpenter, and try to make some 3 way trade into the top 5, and get him. If they do not believe he is that kind of back, then take RB/CB (best available) in the first round. Maybe D-Cromraterie/FJones?

Second round give up for RWilliams (if possible). 3rd Round, back to DB (best available).

4th round, get the burner (WR), and 5-7 look for LB's, OL's.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #24
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Hands of stone? Man, I haven't read that anywhere. I have read a lot of positive on the guy. He simply hasn't had a QB to throw the ball to him. He may not be a number 1 but we wouldn't be paying him #1 money in the first place. Hopefully our future number 1 is getting ready for the combine.
yeah, i live in Bear Country so often end up stuck watching 'da bears'... maybe hands of stone is too harsh, but he drops plenty of balls. one you might have seen this past year was against the cowboys when he was all alone near the end of the first half i think and dropped what would have been a sure touchdown. he's definitely a deep threat and for all his shortcomings, rex is pretty good at heaving it up for the long ball. but with that said i don't think Berrian is a number 1 receiver.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Underdog

Sources: Cowboys win Thomas sweepstakes
link

The Zach Thomas sweepstakes are over.

The seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker, who was released by the Dolphins last week, has agreed to a deal with the Dallas Cowboys. Thomas flew to Indianapolis on Friday to meet with owner Jerry Jones and president Stephen Jones, who were there for the NFL combine.

The move is somewhat shocking in that, at one point, Thomas had considered canceling his meeting with the Cowboys after meeting earlier this week with the Patriots and Saints.

Thomas remains in Indianapolis with his new employers and could take a physical as early as Saturday.

Thomas' family members are lifelong Cowboys fans, and that may have played a part in the decision.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Not sure where he fits in but I welcome his experience and leadership, as long as his salary is reasonable.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

1 year 3 mil????

I don't get it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Per Raul at the Boys Blog:

Ayodele signed a 5-year deal in March 2006 and received a $5M signing bonus. They can cut him and have $1M count against this year’s cap and the other $2M against next year’s cap. His salary for 2008 is $2.5M so the Cowboys could save $1.5M in cap space by releasing him and take the $2M Cap hit next year.

Apparently Akin hasn't lived up to his contract. I noticed a fun stat also. In 16 games last year in which he started them all, Akin had 57 tackles. In 5 games last year prior to calling it a year with the headache issues stemming from the concusion MBIII gave him, Thomas had 52.

Apparently this guy is replacing Akin.

Rumors have Akin being moved in a trade for D. Hall but a cut would help us this year as well.

Interesting stuff. If Thomas can return to just last year's form pre-injury he would be the 2nd best linebacker on our team. Interesting indeed.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-23-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #29
Underdog

Cowboys, LB Thomas agree on 1-year, $3M deal

Linebacker Zach Thomas is headed home to Texas to play for the Dallas Cowboys in the state where he was a high school and college standout before 12 seasons with the Miami Dolphins.

Thomas has reached an agreement on a one-year, $3 million deal with the Cowboys, agent Drew Rosenhaus confirmed Saturday night. Thomas, a seven-time Pro Bowler who missed much of last season because of concussions and migraines, has already taken a physical for the Cowboys.

The news of the deal was first reported by FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer.

"It is going to be signed in the next couple of days," Rosenhaus said.

The deal includes a $1 million base salary, a $1 million signing bonus and a $1 million incentive-based bonus based on playing time that Rosenhaus said should be easily attained.

Thomas was released Feb. 14 by the Dolphins, part of the massive rebuilding project being overseen in Miami by new vice president of football operations Bill Parcells, the former Cowboys coach. The Dolphins were 1-15 last season.

The 34-year-old linebacker said after his release from the Dolphins that he planned to play with another team next season, more than likely one that can contend for a Super Bowl title - and give Thomas a chance at winning his first championship.

"I am healthy and look forward to playing in 2008, but will always consider myself a Miami Dolphin," Thomas said then.

Thomas also visited with the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints. All three teams offered similar deals, but Thomas wanted to play in Texas.

"It was a huge factor, a gigantic factor," Rosenhaus said. "At the end, it was the difference. It's a great opportunity for him."

Thomas is a native of Pampa, Texas, and then went to Texas Tech. The Dolphins selected Thomas 154th overall out of Tech in 1996. The 5-foot-11 linebacker then led Miami in tackles 10 times and is the team's career leader in that category with 1,642. His 168 games in Miami are the most by a defensive player.

After missing only 13 games in his first 11 years, and having a career-best 165 tackles in 2006, Thomas missed 11 games last season. He still had 52 tackles in the five games he played.

Thomas missed two games in September because of a concussion. Then after Miami's loss to New England on Oct. 21, his vehicle was rear-ended on Florida's Turnpike. He didn't play again and was placed on injured reserve against his wishes in December because of nagging migraines, an aftereffect of the car crash.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #30
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Damn. Didn't think we were even in the Zach Thomas race. Not sure what to think about the deal. Its hard to get hyped about a aging player on his last legs coming to your team(See Mavs). But at the least he can bring leadership to the locker room. Would've loved to get Jason Taylor but seems like he's not going anywhere.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Damn. Didn't think we were even in the Zach Thomas race. Not sure what to think about the deal. Its hard to get hyped about a aging player on his last legs coming to your team(See Mavs). But at the least he can bring leadership to the locker room. Would've loved to get Jason Taylor but seems like he's not going anywhere.

Last leg? He only played 5 games last season due to an automobile accident and still had 52 tackles and a sack in his limited play time... The season before that was his most productive ever (165 tackles in 16 games) - each season's stats have been better than the last for his entire career... If he doesn't have any permanent effects from the accident (it's migraines, nothing "physical"), then there's no reason he can't bring A LOT to this team...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #32
snoop

dont like that signing, I want to see Carpenter play
Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #33
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Not exactly cowboys off-season related, but Darren McFadden just ran a 4.27 at the combine. Think most people expected Jamaal Charles to be the fastest RB but he ran a 4.36.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #34
snoop

i saw that even Marshall Faulk was speechless very impressive
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Mendenhall with a 4.37 on his second run was just as impressive, I think. At his size...that's TRUCKIN!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not exactly cowboys off-season related, but Darren McFadden just ran a 4.27 at the combine. Think most people expected Jamaal Charles to be the fastest RB but he ran a 4.36.
Oh my dear lord. Four-two-seven? Unbelievable. Trade the whole draft for this freakin' stud!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
The time was officially 4.33 but the guys doing the commentating at the Combine said they thought he actually timed out quicker than that.

Chris Johnson had the fastest 40-time of 4.24 and that guy looked like a freekin Olympic dasher.

McFadden ran more like a football player (if that makes sense) with long and strong strides. He always looked balanced and in control. I really hope we draft him; the guy is going to be a stud.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #38
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Last leg? He only played 5 games last season due to an automobile accident and still had 52 tackles and a sack in his limited play time... The season before that was his most productive ever (165 tackles in 16 games) - each season's stats have been better than the last for his entire career... If he doesn't have any permanent effects from the accident (it's migraines, nothing "physical"), then there's no reason he can't bring A LOT to this team...
Not saying he can't play. I'm saying at 34 he doesn't have much years left in him. Maybe a year or two. Its not realisitic to expect for him to play any more than that. Not really big on the moves. Our biggest weakness in our linebacking core is none of them can cover and it doesn't help when Roy is back at safety. Though we displayed horrible tackling during the Giants game I wouldn't say tackling was a weakness for this team.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #39
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I like the Zach Thomas move, although I agree it is a stop gap measure. The guy has a nose for the football. He doesn't have many years left though for sure. I think Burnett was going to beat out Akin this year anyway. I am beginning to think that Bradie, and Zack start inside, and Burnett takes Bradies place in the nickel. Akin, might be packaged.

Does Carpenter have trade value? Fascano?
IMO, these are the two young players that don't seem to fit -- that you might be able to get something out of. Just a thought.

Now that the combine is over-- Is DMac a franchise back?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #40
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

I don't see Fasano having much trade value. We're pretty solid at the tight end spot with Curtis, Witten and Fasano. I'd keep that same core for next year. I'm not sure where Bobby Carpenter stands in this league. He's been horrible. He'd bring us back a 7th rounder off of what he's displayed in this league. But he was a 1st rounder just 3 years ago. I'd like to think that means something. Maybe others in this league feel he's just in the wrong system in Dallas but hopefully Parcell's will give us something for him.