Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #81
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
Hmm, touche little green alien. touche....
Did u really mean touch little green alien. touch?
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #82
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
surprised that we didnt take a look at DeAngelo Hall if he was around for a 2nd and 6th rounder. I think if you tke a chance on a troubled CB I would have liked to see it be Hall. Less past trouble and more experience
For 10 per year over 7 years? No thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #83
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Does DMac drop as far as #7 NE? If he does, would they take the two firsts of Dallas?

I don't see Dallas getting any higher than that, but if he were to drop that far, I can see NE moving down.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #84
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Does DMac drop as far as #7 NE? If he does, would they take the two firsts of Dallas?

I don't see Dallas getting any higher than that, but if he were to drop that far, I can see NE moving down.
If he does drop that far, I cant think of a thing in the world NE would benefit from more than a great Running Back. Doubt anyone would be able to pry that pick away from them.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #85
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

we really don't need mcfadden. chris johnson in the 2nd round is where it's at.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #86
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I want Jamaal Charles.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #87
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he does drop that far, I cant think of a thing in the world NE would benefit from more than a great Running Back. Doubt anyone would be able to pry that pick away from them.
From what I understand they are backed against the salary cap wall, and are trying to trade down because of it. That was heresay from another board, so it might now be true though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #88
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
we really don't need mcfadden. chris johnson in the 2nd round is where it's at.
Sorry, but if DMac is really a franchise back; an Emmitt Smith, or Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders, or Adrian Peterson, or Eric Dickerson, or LT, etc. --- you spend the picks while you have them, and you keep the power back in Barber as well, IMO.

Some of you might not remember Dorsett and Newhouse. Newhouse was a powerful horse in the backfield, where Dorsett was a scat back. You can drive defenses crazy when you can go to either, throw to a all-pro TE, and throw to a WR that is in the top 5.

Some 2nd round back that could replace Barber for a few plays a game -- fine. A franchise back that could run with Barber --- new aspect for defensive coordinators to have to plan for -- much better.

Roger S -- Romo
Tony D -- DMac
Newhouse -- Barber
Cosbie/PPearson/JSmith -- Witten
D Pearson/THill -- TO/ ???

These guys were in the playoffs deep every year, and won a SB or two in the process.

Just Keeping the Dream alive.

This team needs franchise players to push a good players back, not backups that need to work hard to get up to second string.

Jerry hires talent evaluators, and I don't know how they evaluate DMac -- but IF they evaluate him as a franchise back, Dallas needs to go get him, IMO.

Last edited by dalmations202; 03-20-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #89
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry, but if DMac is really a franchise back; an Emmitt Smith, or Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders, or Adrian Peterson, or Eric Dickerson, or LT, etc. --- you spend the picks while you have them, and you keep the power back in Barber as well, IMO.
I think DMac could hurt us more as a bust than he could help as a star...

The Cowboys are too close/complete to take any major risks that would set them back if they didn't pan out... I'm pretty sure we'd have to give up Barber to get McFadden's pick, and it doesn't seem worth giving up on a proven commodity when we only need a solid/quick back to compliment Barber and take this team to the next level...

Given the depth of running backs in this draft, I bet we could get a decent replacement for Julius Jones with our 2nd or 3rd picks...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #90
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

The cowboys dont even need a solid backup for barber. look at last year, Julius jones did awful. I'm sure a free agent RB could fill the hole just as well as JJ did. A rookie maybe, but I'd be concerned too much about rookie mistakes. IE turnovers

Last edited by Ninkobei; 03-20-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #91
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Rumors Pacman deal about to be finalized.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #92
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...that-ring.html

Chad Johnson says he could co-exist with TO.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #93
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

Some of you might not remember Dorsett and Newhouse. Newhouse was a powerful horse in the backfield, where Dorsett was a scat back. You can drive defenses crazy when you can go to either, throw to a all-pro TE, and throw to a WR that is in the top 5.

Some 2nd round back that could replace Barber for a few plays a game -- fine. A franchise back that could run with Barber --- new aspect for defensive coordinators to have to plan for -- much better.

Roger S -- Romo
Tony D -- DMac
Newhouse -- Barber

These guys were in the playoffs deep every year, and won a SB or two in the process.

This team needs franchise players to push a good players back, not backups that need to work hard to get up to second string.

Jerry hires talent evaluators, and I don't know how they evaluate DMac -- but IF they evaluate him as a franchise back, Dallas needs to go get him, IMO.
If he's really a franchise back though doesn't he go #1? #2 at the latest? Only reason Peterson went 6th is because everyone thought he'd be injury prone. You better believe he's #1 without the injuries in college. With Mcfadden there's too many questions. The Patriots didn't become a dynasty by gonig after the biggest names in free agency and the draft. They drafted well and signed solid veterans. Similiar to another dynasty that's in the NBA right now. It would be different if we had some scrub at running back but we have a Pro Bowler. Are we going to limit his carries so we can groom Mcfadden? There's a need at the half back spot but at most its a speed back that can back up Barber. Mcfadden fits that role but at the price he doesn't.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #94
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Now getting Ocho Cinco is a whole different story. I think his acquistion would actually work since as he brought himself he plays alongside a #1 already with the Bengals in Housmanzadah. Not to mention Chris Henry is there as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #95
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Roger S -- Romo
Tony D -- DMac
Newhouse -- Barber

first off, this isn't 1977.

secondly, no running back in this draft is worth 2 (late) first round draft picks. multiple talent scouts, many who have worked in the NFL, have said this.

third, how is jerry going to pay DMac AND Barber...we're only about 5 million dollars over the cap. there's no space to get him.

and fourth, this draft is very deep at RB...mcfadden, mendenhall, felix jones, jonathan stewart, chris johnson, jamaal charles. there's no reason to trade up to get a guy who isn't deemed worth trading up for.

and lastly, from what i've heard, jamaal charles is already looking like a bust.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #96
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...that-ring.html

Chad Johnson says he could co-exist with TO.
My brother sent me one of those Ocho Cinco trash talk phone messages. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. I bet he and TO could come up with some crazy end zone skits together...

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 03-20-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: para contexto
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #97
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
If he's really a franchise back though doesn't he go #1? #2 at the latest? Only reason Peterson went 6th is because everyone thought he'd be injury prone. You better believe he's #1 without the injuries in college. With Mcfadden there's too many questions. The Patriots didn't become a dynasty by gonig after the biggest names in free agency and the draft. They drafted well and signed solid veterans. Similiar to another dynasty that's in the NBA right now. It would be different if we had some scrub at running back but we have a Pro Bowler. Are we going to limit his carries so we can groom Mcfadden? There's a need at the half back spot but at most its a speed back that can back up Barber. Mcfadden fits that role but at the price he doesn't.
Dallas had Calvin Hill and Robert Newhouse, yet we traded up and took Tony Dorsett. That seemed to work.

Dallas traded up for Emmitt who had dropped. That seemed to work.

I don't know if DMac is really a franchise back or not. That is why Jerry hires scouts and talent evaluators. Also just because NE drafted Tom Brady in the 6th doesn't make them the team to watch for drafting either (He'd be the #1 pick of that draft if it happened today).

I am just saying that IF you truly believe that he is a franchise back, and not just another two year wonder, then you make the play while keeping Barber and have a dual threat in the backfield.

If Dallas doesn't believe he is a franchise back, then get a good backup that can be groomed in the 2nd or 3rd. You already have a proven player. Don't give up on a player you think will be a franchise player though -- when you have the chance.

Last edited by dalmations202; 03-20-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #98
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and lastly, from what i've heard, jamaal charles is already looking like a bust yo a$$ back.
Fixed (by a Longhorn)

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 03-20-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #99
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
first off, this isn't 1977.
Agreed -- but it is still football, and I loved the 70's Cowboys.

Quote:
secondly, no running back in this draft is worth 2 (late) first round draft picks. multiple talent scouts, many who have worked in the NFL, have said this.
link? -- I have heard yes and no and all purely out of opinion. I have heard from one coach that a franchise back is worth an entire draft -- too bad he picked the wrong guy. I think LT would be worth both #1's -- would SD trade him for them?

Quote:
third, how is jerry going to pay DMac AND Barber...we're only about 5 million dollars over the cap. there's no space to get him.
2008 Cap Update - $3,982,787 million (03/18/08) under the cap right now, not over. Restructuring contracts and they could get there quickly. That isn't the problem. The problem is next year when you are paying two backs #1 money. Right now the qualifying offer to Barber is included, so if he signs the qualifying offer-- this amount doesn't go down.

Quote:
and fourth, this draft is very deep at RB...mcfadden, mendenhall, felix jones, jonathan stewart, chris johnson, jamaal charles. there's no reason to trade up to get a guy who isn't deemed worth trading up for.
No, this draft is DMac -- then the rest of these guys. He is the only one I have read that has a top ten grade. This doesn't mean he will be the best RB, just that he grades out that way. My point is that Dallas needs quality not quantity this year because they are pretty well set at most of their positions.

Quote:
and lastly, from what i've heard, jamaal charles is already looking like a bust.
I have read 2nd round to bust as well.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #100
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, this draft is DMac -- then the rest of these guys. He is the only one I have read that has a top ten grade. This doesn't mean he will be the best RB, just that he grades out that way. My point is that Dallas needs quality not quantity this year because they are pretty well set at most of their positions.
we have 4 CBs on roster. 2 which are alan ball and evan oglesby. i think CB is our biggest need.

then we have WR...TO and Witten are the only real dangerous WRs we have, as evinced by Patrick Crayton's butterfingers in the playoffs.

then we have RB. the draft is too deep at RB not to get a CB and WR first.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #101
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

well, since parcells isnt here maybe this will be the first year in a while that we dont use our first rounders on a LB. I'm betting we dont draft a WR in the first..it just seems a waste. hopefully a CB and a Safety (roy williams traded to det for roy williams? sounds fair to me)
Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #102
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
well, since parcells isnt here maybe this will be the first year in a while that we dont use our first rounders on a LB. I'm betting we dont draft a WR in the first..it just seems a waste. hopefully a CB and a Safety (roy williams traded to det for roy williams? sounds fair to me)
i would love for them to get Brandon Flowers and Kenny Phillips in the first round. Heck, draft 2 CBs in the first round.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #103
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
we have 4 CBs on roster. 2 which are alan ball and evan oglesby. i think CB is our biggest need.

then we have WR...TO and Witten are the only real dangerous WRs we have, as evinced by Patrick Crayton's butterfingers in the playoffs.

then we have RB. the draft is too deep at RB not to get a CB and WR first.
No doubt on the CB. What if they get Pacman for a 5th? Then they have 3 starting quality CB's (if Pacman can stay clean). Could they get a 3rd round CB then? This draft is said to be heavy on RB and CB.

WR --- I'd still like to see them get Roy Williams (RUT). It would probably take Dallas 2nd rounder plus more. Maybe Akin and a 2nd rounder or some such.

If Dallas can get the rights to Pacman from Tennessee for a 5th, and Dallas can trade Akin and their 2nd to Detroit for RUT --- then Dallas has two first and a third, 4th, 6th and 7th.

Salary cap is just about killed, so Romo or someone would have to restructure, but then if you traded the two firsts up to get DMac (depending on how far he drops).......and took a CB in the third, and WR in 4th.

Personally I think they should take the best NT in the 3rd, best CB/WR in the 4th and 6th, and best small school promising flyer QB in the 7th.

You would have:

DMac and Barber in the backfield
TO and RUT + developing WR (maybe Glenn) (Crayton, Stanbach, Hurd, Austin) as wide outs
Newman, Henry, and Pacman + developing CB as CB's

Right now, it is set up for Jerry to be able to make a big WOW splash, and fill the needs on the team.

Last edited by dalmations202; 03-21-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #104
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Roy for Roy won't work cap wise. ROU will be here at least one more year. Moving Akin works better for the Boys as his move would save $500K, not cost more on the move.

Even if they moved Akin, they would still have James, Thomas, Burnett, and Carpenter at ILB.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #105
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see a Roy Williams who can actually play wearing a Cowboys uniform. If they can get him here for that 28th pick, that would address the wide receiver spot quite nicely. Word has it that PacMan might be available for a seventh round pick. I would be thrilled to trade a fourth round pick for him. He would address the corner needs and then some. I know that just about everyone has Dallas taking Felix Jones at the 20th spot, but I love Chris Johnson of ECU, especially accompanied by truly horrible music from an ECU fan.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #106
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
No doubt on the CB. What if they get Pacman for a 5th? Then they have 3 starting quality CB's (if Pacman can stay clean). Could they get a 3rd round CB then? This draft is said to be heavy on RB and CB.

WR --- I'd still like to see them get Roy Williams (RUT). It would probably take Dallas 2nd rounder plus more. Maybe Akin and a 2nd rounder or some such.

If Dallas can get the rights to Pacman from Tennessee for a 5th, and Dallas can trade Akin and their 2nd to Detroit for RUT --- then Dallas has two first and a third, 4th, 6th and 7th.

Salary cap is just about killed, so Romo or someone would have to restructure, but then if you traded the two firsts up to get DMac (depending on how far he drops).......and took a CB in the third, and WR in 4th.

Personally I think they should take the best NT in the 3rd, best CB/WR in the 4th and 6th, and best small school promising flyer QB in the 7th.

You would have:

DMac and Barber in the backfield
TO and RUT + developing WR (maybe Glenn) (Crayton, Stanbach, Hurd, Austin) as wide outs
Newman, Henry, and Pacman + developing CB as CB's

Right now, it is set up for Jerry to be able to make a big WOW splash, and fill the needs on the team.
Pacman could be our second CB easily. move henry to FS and hamlin to SS and move roy to a different zip code.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #107
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
On and off for the past couple months, Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson has been publicly picturing himself in the uniform of just about every NFL team -- except the Cincinnati Bengals.

He did it again the other night and this one was grander than the rest. On a national television talk show, Johnson envisioned himself playing with the Dallas Cowboys. Picture Johnson and Terrell Owens together, catching passes from Tony Romo with Jessica Simpson in the stands. Picture Jerry Jones presiding over a circus bigger than the one he had in the days of Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer.

Link
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #108
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

No Chad Johnson - one overinflated ego per position, please...

Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 PM   #109
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Pacman could be our second CB easily. move henry to FS and hamlin to SS and move roy to a different zip code.

I don't know why people think its so easy to just move Roy. He's staying a Cowboy and Henry is a good cornerback in thsi league. Why change his position? We're fine at the starting cb spots. Pacman comes in here and backs both guys up and makes us deeper at corner. We lost Nate Jones and Jacque Reeves. By no means would I say we are deep enough at the corner spot where we can just move Henry and i'm assuming we sign Pacman.

Quote:
Dallas had Calvin Hill and Robert Newhouse, yet we traded up and took Tony Dorsett. That seemed to work.

Dallas traded up for Emmitt who had dropped. That seemed to work.

I don't know if DMac is really a franchise back or not. That is why Jerry hires scouts and talent evaluators. Also just because NE drafted Tom Brady in the 6th doesn't make them the team to watch for drafting either (He'd be the #1 pick of that draft if it happened today).

I am just saying that IF you truly believe that he is a franchise back, and not just another two year wonder, then you make the play while keeping Barber and have a dual threat in the backfield.

If Dallas doesn't believe he is a franchise back, then get a good backup that can be groomed in the 2nd or 3rd. You already have a proven player. Don't give up on a player you think will be a franchise player though -- when you have the chance.
Not deeming the Pats to be the team to watch during draft day either. Just saying they've built their team on draft picks (Samuel, Brady, Maroney) and by signing solid vets(Moss, Seau, Welker). I think its impossible to keep both Mcfadden and Barber on this team. You have to think smart. You're going to pay big money for Mcfadden and Barber when there are currently other holes on your team?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #110
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't know why people think its so easy to just move Roy. He's staying a Cowboy and Henry is a good cornerback in thsi league. Why change his position? We're fine at the starting cb spots. Pacman comes in here and backs both guys up and makes us deeper at corner. We lost Nate Jones and Jacque Reeves. By no means would I say we are deep enough at the corner spot where we can just move Henry and i'm assuming we sign Pacman.

Not deeming the Pats to be the team to watch during draft day either. Just saying they've built their team on draft picks (Samuel, Brady, Maroney) and by signing solid vets(Moss, Seau, Welker). I think its impossible to keep both Mcfadden and Barber on this team. You have to think smart. You're going to pay big money for Mcfadden and Barber when there are currently other holes on your team?
I can see your point. I am just not as sold on Barber lasting with his style of running, and think that a young home run hitter "might" be the better option if Dallas wants to keep dominating in the long term. They have Barber at least one more year, and would have McFadden for at least 4, I think. By that time, they should know.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #111
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can see your point. I am just not as sold on Barber lasting with his style of running, and think that a young home run hitter "might" be the better option if Dallas wants to keep dominating in the long term. They have Barber at least one more year, and would have McFadden for at least 4, I think. By that time, they should know.
I can agree with you on Barber. I debate with friends all the time about how long Barber can last in this league. If he was a fullback I wouldn't think much of it but with his size and how hard he plays I can't help but think he'll have a short time in this league as a starting running back were the career of a running back in this league is already short compared to other positions. Its why I do feel we need to look at a running back in this draft. A solid one. If there's a way to get Mcfadden here without giving away our future i'm for it but without the numbers in front of me I hope it doesn't put this team in salary cap hell because of it. Restructuring contracts is always a possibility though. Just would hate to see this team get in a mess with the salary cap over one position.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #112
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can agree with you on Barber. I debate with friends all the time about how long Barber can last in this league. If he was a fullback I wouldn't think much of it but with his size and how hard he plays I can't help but think he'll have a short time in this league as a starting running back were the career of a running back in this league is already short compared to other positions. Its why I do feel we need to look at a running back in this draft. A solid one. If there's a way to get Mcfadden here without giving away our future i'm for it but without the numbers in front of me I hope it doesn't put this team in salary cap hell because of it. Restructuring contracts is always a possibility though. Just would hate to see this team get in a mess with the salary cap over one position.
exactly.....

NO salary cap Hell, and no giving away the future, but if it can be done without those two things happening.....then please Jerry -- go for it.

I'd like to see Barber in as a fullback, just not in the Moose mode of blocking back. I'd like to see him in a secondary inside running back, that can pop big runs if you don't account for him.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #113
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
henry was a FS in college and with the browns. he could be that again.

and as for "moving Roy", it was merely a suggestion. i know it wouldn't be easy, but from what i've heard, it wouldn't be as hard as you're making it out to be. maybe a cut is coming in the summer.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #114
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

There was the report the cowboys were ready to cut Roy if it wasn't so cap prohibitive. I think Hamlin and Henry would look great in the deep secondary. The only issue I have with that is Henry gets juked out of his shoes sometimes which is bad when you are the last line of defense.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #115
mkat
Platinum Member

maybe Roy Williams will be in the Pacman trade. 6th rounder, RW, and some change or something..
Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #116
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
maybe Roy Williams will be in the Pacman trade. 6th rounder, RW, and some change or something..
I doubt the cowboys would have to give up that much...Roy williams is a pro bowl safety. and he's young too. I think he has a lot of trade value. Pacman might not even be allowed to play in the nfl again.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #117
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
I doubt the cowboys would have to give up that much...Roy williams is a pro bowl safety. and he's young too. I think he has a lot of trade value. Pacman might not even be allowed to play in the nfl again.
roy williams has very little value. have you seen him play recently?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #118
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Roy Williams cost 3.5M to cut or trade. He isn't going anywhere when the cap space they have is at 3.92M.

He was also a pro-bowl safety again. (doesn't say much for the safeties in the NFC does it)

Now if he doesn't pick up his play, then he will be gone after next year, but he has one more year, IMO, regardless of what fans think they know (I am one of them).

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #119
Underdog

Quote:
Roy Williams cost 3.5M to cut or trade. He isn't going anywhere when the cap space they have is at 3.92M.

He was also a pro-bowl safety again. (doesn't say much for the safeties in the NFC does it)

Now if he doesn't pick up his play, then he will be gone after next year, but he has one more year, IMO, regardless of what fans think they know (I am one of them).

Why cut him? I'd rather trade him (plus, unlike Mark Cuban, Jerry Jones doesn't let players walk without getting a return on his investment - if Roy plays like crap early in the season, he'll be mowing Jerry's lawn for his money by the end of the season...)

Last edited by Underdog; 03-25-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #120
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Cowboys sweeten offer for Pacman
By Bucky Brooks, SI.com

Pacman Jones has made it clear he wants to be a Cowboy. Dallas is doing its part to make sure that happens.

After their initial offer of a seventh-round draft pick to the Titans for their suspended cornerback was rejected, the Cowboys have upped their proposal to include a player along with the late-round selection, a source told SI.com.

The Titans are warming to the offer, according to the source, but a few financial ramifications need to be addressed before the deal can be consummated. Jones has two years remaining on his original five-year, $30 million deal, and the Cowboys want to redo that contract, likely to a one-year deal to protect their interests. Jones is on record stating his willingness to renegotiate the contract and his agent, Manny Arora, reportedly met with Cowboys' officials earlier in the week to address the situation.

Jones is currently suspended by the NFL and awaiting reinstatement from commissioner Roger Goodell. Though Jones' off-field woes detract from his talent - he's been arrested six times since May 2005 -- the Titans realize Jones is a Pro Bowl-caliber player and are attempting to recoup some value in exchange for the troubled star. Jones was the Titans' best defensive player when he last suited up for them in 2006, and his electrifying return skills make him an impact player in two phases of the game.

"The kid was the sixth pick in the draft and we need to get something of value in return," an unnamed Titans official said.

Link

Is this ghost ball??