Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #81
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I am reading "The Firm" right now. It is mostly enjoyable cotton candy: a bit shallow, but easy to read and a "page turner"
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #82
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I've decided to read the Dark Tower series this summer. The first book is kinda rough - King all but admits in the intro that its not very good and says the series picks up in the third installment. I hope he's right.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-21-2009 at 12:27 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #83
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

my wife is trying very hard to shame me into reading again. bah.

i have "the grapes of wrath" sitting by my bed. It has been there for about 3 weeks, and I have read about 30 pages.... i'm pretty good at statistics, and the time horizon forecast doesn't look good here (although i have actually loved it every time i have picked it up, and i think "of mice and men" is probably the greatest story ever written)

I am going to take the excuse that I have been biking to work lately, and by the time I get to bed, i look like bugs bunny and the mad scientist in that cartoon where the ether bottle is broken and they both fall asleep mid-air and float down on to their pillows...
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #84
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I've decided to read the Dark Tower series this summer. The first book is kinda rough - King all but admits in the intro that its not very good and says the series picks up in the third installment. I hope he's right.
I have that book sitting on my desk at home. I have been meaning to start it but got side tracked with something else. Are you reading the revised version he published in 2003 or the original?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #85
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the first book. Probably moreso when I finished the series though.

By next weekend I will be restarting the HP series through HBP. Just a refresher so I can roll my eyes and balk during the movie. (just kidding, well I am going to be re-reading them though)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #86
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently reading a really, really dumb Sci-Fi series that I in no way recommend. It's called "Vampire Earth" and is a post apocalyptic sci fi thriller/action kind of story. It's ok. A friend of mine (who's suggestions I never take) made me do it, and once I started them it was mildly ok. Definitely brainless.

After I get through with those pretty soon, I plan to hit up Dark Tower, and like u2 said revisit HP before HBP comes out.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #87
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I have that book sitting on my desk at home. I have been meaning to start it but got side tracked with something else. Are you reading the revised version he published in 2003 or the original?

Its the revised one. He gets a bit defensive of the revisions and says the book is a product of attending one too many writing seminars....or somesuch.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #88
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I read The Dark Tower many many years ago...1991?? Anyway, LOVED IT, but the second book fell flat and I never finished the series.. so I started reading The Stand in high school and had to hire a book caddy to carry it around my classes for me.. I am currently reading With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge preparing myself for The Pacific..

I still recommend The Road... fanboys are starving for the movie, but I am skeptical now that I have seen the trailer.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #89
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on book 10 of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #90
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I enjoyed the first one; the second one was a stretch, but I still ripped through it in one (12-hour plus) sitting (working the overnight shift at a homeless shelter, there's not much to do). Third one, I barely finished, it was so bad. In spite of that, I read the fourth one, as it was mostly backstory--which I was more interested in anyway. Started #5, never got more than a quarter of the way in and just stopped caring altogether.

I hear the series ends with a whimper...though given the earlier Eliot references (The Waste Lands as book #3, for one obvious example), maybe that's what King intended.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #91
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan, and recommend anything he's written. I'm currently reading Pygmy, which just came out last week. It's written in the broken English of a terrorist-under-cover-as-foreign-exchange-student, and it takes a bit to get used to the language...but once you get used to it, it's a brilliant satire, as most of his books are. My favorites are Fight Club (his first), Survivor, and Rant, but they're all good.

I've also recently discovered Craig Clevenger and Will Christopher Baer, tearing through their collective five novels in the neighborhood of two weeks--absolutely impossible to put down. Start with Clevenger's The Contortionist's Handbook.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #92
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
So I'm a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan, and recommend anything he's written. I'm currently reading Pygmy, which just came out last week. It's written in the broken English of a terrorist-under-cover-as-foreign-exchange-student, and it takes a bit to get used to the language...but once you get used to it, it's a brilliant satire, as most of his books are. My favorites are Fight Club (his first), Survivor, and Rant, but they're all good.

I've also recently discovered Craig Clevenger and Will Christopher Baer, tearing through their collective five novels in the neighborhood of two weeks--absolutely impossible to put down. Start with Clevenger's The Contortionist's Handbook.
Palahniuk is the. Good call.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #93
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I just finished this the other day, and picked up the Drawing of the Three at Half Priced books.

I found it...very...odd. Weird. But I'm intrigued enough to soldier on. How far are you on this now? (I'm not even sure if mary is around...is she? hello?)
Old 09-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #94
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i read the entire dark tower series last year, if you make it to the last book(because the series sucks but i just wanted to know what the damn dark tower was) stop reading when he tells you to. I realize it isnt really going to happen because thats the whole purpose of the book but damn does that suck the life out of you.

Actually just stop reading it now. Its just an awful series and since the only reason to read it is to find out what the dark tower is and the ending blows, its not worth reading.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #95
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

See...now I had someone tell me that the ending was good.

And my leaders, the two guys that make LOST love the hell out of it.

Now I'm conflicted.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #96
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, I enjoyed the series.....

Right now I am reading the second (of 3) installment in the Hunger Games trilogy. I was wondering how they would continue the story from the first book but man did she do a good job. Although I will say that parts to the world she created seem far-fetched and forced but it is science fiction so how can you argue against it. The meat of the story is very intriguing though.... I hate that when I finish this book tonight I will have to wait a year to find out the ending. But thats part of the fun, I guess.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #97
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The author of the series that I was reading died a couple of years ago. On his prolonged death bed, he was able to relay what was supposed to happen in the final three books. The first of those comes out very soon. The first 10-11 books or so have been absolutely great.

Anyways, It'll be interesting to see how the fill in writer works out. I don't know if he can match the product that Robert Jordan had put out already, but I'm still excited to see.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #98
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

My two favorite books.

Bardic Voices Book 1: Lark and the Wren by Mercedes Lackey

Enders Game By Orson Scott Card

Book I'm currently reading.

Vows and Honor Book 2: Oath Breaker by Mercedes Lackey

Last edited by Mavsfan4ever; 09-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #99
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
+1

(remember, the gate is DOWN...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-27-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #100
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
+1

Oh yes.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #101
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
+1

i read that when i was like 16. loved that book
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #102
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
My two favorite books.

ive read book one of the darians tail trilogy by her but havent gotten around to reading anything else. they were pretty good though.

speaking of books, when is the last book in the inheritance/eragon cycle supposed to come out?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

I never cared for Mercedes Lackey too much. I read the Halfblood Chronicles. I don't know..just never got into her too much.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #104
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Re-reading Dune.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #105
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Not Between Brothers
Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #106
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

"Eat To Live" Joel Fuhrman
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #107
Murphy3
Guru

I'm reading book 4 of the David Drake series that started out with Lord of the Isles or Lord of Isles.. whatever or somesuch. It's a pretty solid series so far.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #108
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading Under the Dome by Steven King, and I must say it had me after the first few pages. It is a massive book (over 1000 pages) but has very few lulls in it. If you like Steven King at all you will love Under the Dome!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #109
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I'm reading "The Game" talks about the worlds greatest pickup artists. You wanna know all the tricks on how to pickup women? It's a must read. (yeah I need the help after my divorce lol)
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #110
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I'm reading "The Game" talks about the worlds greatest pickup artists. You wanna know all the tricks on how to pickup women? It's a must read. (yeah I need the help after my divorce lol)
Let's go Sarging.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #111
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

might start reading "Born to Run"
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #112
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe this was an entire year ago. (Though, I didn't actually start reading them for a while after this post...)

I finished them tonight, 5 minutes ago, say thankya. All the way to the top of the Tower.

I am very pleased, on the whole.

But now I need something new to dive into.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #113
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I followed up The Dark Tower series with "The Stand" as long as I was on that King kick...I finished The Stand yesterday (great) and now I need a new series or something. I guess I'll flip through this thread a bit.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #114
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I followed up The Dark Tower series with "The Stand" as long as I was on that King kick...I finished The Stand yesterday (great) and now I need a new series or something. I guess I'll flip through this thread a bit.
I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series. I think it was his best work, outside of some of his short stories. I also enjoyed The Stand, although I started it when I was a bit too young to stay focused on one book, but when I did get around to reading it, I thought it was awesome.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #115
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My two favorite books.

I absolutely loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. The rest of the series not so much. Those two are definitely some of my all-time faves, though.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #116
ribosoma
Golden Member

I just started Gibson's Neuromancer, Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming, and Greer's The Art and Practice of Geomancy.

Neuromancer is great so far, I have barely taken a bite out of The Art of Dreaming (I will read a bit more today), and The Art and Practice of Geomancy is surprisingly approachable for the subject matter covered.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #117
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
I just started Gibson's Neuromancer, Castaneda's The Art of Dreaming, and Greer's The Art and Practice of Geomancy.

Neuromancer is great so far, I have barely taken a bite out of The Art of Dreaming (I will read a bit more today), and The Art and Practice of Geomancy is surprisingly approachable for the subject matter covered.
The Matrix soooo ripped-off (paid homage to?) Neuromancer for its source material.

The character, Trinity, is almost a carbon-copy of Molly, not to mention that the virtual reality version of the internet in the story is called 'the matrix'...

If you like Neuromancer go ahead and read Count Zero (not quite as good) and Mona Lisa Overdrive (my favorite of the series) - you won't be disappointed...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #118
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I read like three books at a time and it sucks to do that..but I can't stop

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Road to Reality
Dan Harrington's No Limit Holdem Volume 2

Does that count as reading a series?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #119
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Been reading a lot of Comic Collected Editions right now (checking out at the library). Mainly "Fables" and "Y the Last Man".
Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #120
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Been reading a lot of Comic Collected Editions right now (checking out at the library). Mainly "Fables" and "Y the Last Man".
You know they are doing a "Y the Last Man" film adaption? I haven't read it, but what do you think about that?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harry pottheads