Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cincinnati Bengals @ Dallas Cowboys (10/5/08)

Bengals @ Cowboys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Info
Date - 10/5/2008
Time - 3:15PM CST
TV - CBS
Line - Dallas by 17
(STATS LLC) -- After impressive victories in their first three games of the season, the Dallas Cowboys suffered a disappointing loss their last time out, causing their brash wide receiver to criticize the team.

The Cincinnati Bengals probably only wish their problems were that minor.

The Cowboys try to bounce back from last week's loss Sunday when they host the winless Bengals, who may be without Carson Palmer again.

Dallas (3-1) looked like one of the favorites to come out of the NFC through their first three games. The Cowboys were averaging 32.0 points and 440.0 yards per game, and their defense was coming off a stellar performance in Week 3's 27-16 win at Green Bay.

Dallas was not as sharp last Sunday, however, suffering a 26-24 home loss to Washington. The offense gained a season-low 344 yards, while the defense yielded a season-high 381.

While one loss doesn't drop Super Bowl expectations for the Cowboys, it did drop them from the top of the NFC East, behind the New York Giants.

"The reality of it is, you have the opportunity to go 16-0 every year in the regular season, but that's not realistic," said Tony Romo, who was 28-of-47 for 300 yards with three touchdowns. "We're a confident bunch. I think we'll come back next week with a lot to prove."

Romo, though, also has to put aside the distraction caused by Terrell Owens, one that could potentially strain that quarterback-receiver relationship.

After Sunday's loss, Owens created more drama when he complained about not getting the ball enough.

"It's no secret, when I get involved, we move the chains. When I don't, we're more stagnant in our offense," Owens said.

If anything, however, it appeared the Cowboys were calling too many plays for Owens, who had seven catches for 71 yards, 11 yards rushing on two reverses and 11 other plays designed for him.

The catering of the offense to Owens limited a running game that gained 217 yards in the win over the Packers to just 44 yards on 11 attempts against the Redskins.

Dallas took the ball out of the hands of bruising running back Marion Barber, who had only eight carries for 26 yards after rushing for a career-high 142 yards and a touchdown against Green Bay. Rookie playmaker Felix Jones, who had scored a touchdown in each of his first three games, did not have one offensive touch last Sunday.

The running game should be able to get back on track against the Bengals (0-4), who are 28th in the league in rush defense, allowing an average of 164.3 yards.

A porous run defense might not even be among Cincinnati's biggest concerns right now, with the team off to its worst start since opening 2002 with seven straight defeats.

The Bengals rank 31st in total offense (249.8 ypg) and 30th in scoring (13.0 ppg), leaving vocal wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco relatively quiet. Ocho Cinco has been limited to 11 receptions for 116 yards.

Making matters worse, Palmer may miss this game with a sore throwing elbow. He was knocked around during a 26-23 overtime loss to the Giants in Week 3, getting his nose bloodied and hurting his elbow. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told Palmer last Saturday night that he was going to sit out Sunday's game against Cleveland.

"It happens a lot," said Palmer, who also has suffered a broken nose and a sprained ankle this year. "Sometimes it takes a little while to come back. Hopefully it won't take too long."

Ryan Fitzpatrick stepped in at quarterback for Palmer, but the results weren't pretty, as the Bengals managed only 211 yards -- the third time this season they've had 215 or fewer -- in a 20-12 loss to the Browns.

Fitzpatrick, who admitted there were some plays called that he hadn't run in weeks, threw three interceptions and finished as Cincinnati's leading rusher with 41 yards on four scrambles. He expects to be much better prepared if he has to start again on Sunday.

"If Ryan Fitzpatrick is the guy as we go forward this week, we go into it a little differently," Lewis said. "That's the way we'll have to approach it. More than likely, the coaches will have to prepare to play with Fitzpatrick, and everybody has to understand that."

Fitzpatrick might not be the only new face for Cincinnati's offense.

Receiver Chris Henry was cleared to practice on Monday, having completed a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's conduct policy, and could be added to the roster by Saturday. The Bengals also signed running back Cedric Benson on Tuesday after he was let go by Chicago for two alcohol-related arrests in Texas.

This will be the first meeting between Cincinnati and Dallas since the Bengals' 26-3 victory on Nov. 7, 2004. The Cowboys have won the last two meetings at Texas Stadium, and are 4-1 all-time versus Cincinnati at home.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-02-2008 at 01:14 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Here Are The Cincinnati Bengals

link

IRVING, Texas - The Cincinnati Bengals have averaged just 13 points per game this season, are 0-4 and have tallied just four yards per play this year. Oh, and by the way, their starting quarterback, Carson Palmer, still is questionable for Sunday's game because of an inflamed elbow. Sounds like the perfect situation for the Cowboys to pick up a victory against the Bengals, right? Not exactly. While the Bengals may be in the midst of an abysmal four-game losing streak, Cincinnati will still bring an offense headlined by Pro Bowlers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Ocho Cinco to Sunday's 3:15 p.m. (CDT) matchup at Texas Stadium.

What's Up?

Taking a deeper look into the Bengals 0-4 start this season, it's easy to see why such a talented team has failed to record a win this year. Their schedule thus far has included the Tennessee Titans (4-0), New York Giants (3-0), Baltimore Ravens (2-1) and Cleveland Browns (1-3). To make matters worse for the Bengals, Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer could miss more time than just last weekend's game with an elbow injury, even if he is insisting he will play on Sunday. In his absence, the Bengals offense looked nothing short of anemic against the Browns, throwing for just 142 yards and getting intercepted three times.

Facing a struggling Bengals team may cure what ails the Cowboys after a tough loss to the Redskins last weekend at Texas Stadium. Washington ran for 161 yards and possessed the ball for more than 38 minutes in its two-point victory over the Cowboys. Dallas failed to record an interception again Sunday, but will attempt to change that against Bengal quarterbacks who have already thrown six in four games.

Statistical View

*As bad as the Bengals defense has looked this year, the longest play the team has allowed this season went for just 31 yards to Giants receiver Amani Toomer. With the Cowboys boasting longs of 72 (Terrell Owens), 63 (Miles Austin) and 42 yards (Jason Witten), something's got to give in Sunday's matchup.

*Neither the Bengals nor the Cowboys have been effective this season at stopping opponents from scoring when reaching the red zone. Cowboys opponents have scored on all 16 trips to the red zone, while the Bengals defense has allowed scores on 12-of-13 red-zone visits.

*Former NFC East linebacker Dhani Jones, who played with the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles from 2000-2006, has resurrected his career with the Bengals. Jones leads the Bengals with 53 tackles.

*After only recording two turnovers in the first four games this season, the Cowboys may be in trouble if they fail to record another takeaway this weekend. The Bengals are 1,357-338-1 all-time when on the plus-side of the turnover margin. Cincinnati is tied with the Cowboys for 30th in NFL turnover differential at minus-4.

Chalk Talk

After Marion Barber was bottled up last weekend against the Redskins, don't expect the hard-nosed running back to have back-to-back poor rushing performances against the Bengals Sunday. Cincinnati's defense is allowing 164.3 yards per game this season on the ground, including a whopping 229 yards to a Willis McGahee-less Baltimore Ravens squad in Week Two. In 12 career games against AFC opponents, Barber has piled up 620 yards and nine touchdowns on 122 carries, and will attempt to do more of the same against the Bengals this weekend.

If there has been one consistent chink in the armor of the Cowboys defense this year, it has been their secondary. The Cowboys are giving up 210.8 passing yards per game this season, ranking 18th in the NFL. With Pro Bowlers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson coming to town Sunday, their jobs won't get any easier. While Houshmanzadeh and Ocho Cinco are having down years by their standards, the duo still has caught 35 balls for 382 yards and two scores this season.

Connections

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer spent 13 seasons with the Cowboys (1994-06), first as the secondary coach and then the defensive coordinator from 2000-06 . . . Cowboys tight ends coach John Garrett has been a part of the Bengals organization for a large portion of his football career, playing wide receiver for them in 1989 as well as coaching with them from 1995-98 and 2000-01.

Miscellaneous

With the Bengals beat up at running back, having to place third-guy DeDe Dorsey (hamstring) on injured reserve this week and backup Kenny Watson nursing a hamstring injury, they just signed former Chicago running back Cedric Benson. Just five days ago a Grand Jury in Travis County (Texas) declined to indict Benson on two charges, which when first filed caused the Bears to release their former first-round pick . . . While the Cowboys lead the all-time series 5-4, the home team has dominated most of the matchups. The Bengals are 3-1 when playing the Cowboys in Cincinnati and the Cowboys are 4-1 against the Bengals at Texas Stadium … Bengals receiver Ocho Cinco has recorded a catch in 96 straight games . . . A loss would give the Cowboys back-to-back defeats for the first time since Weeks 16 and 17 of the 2006 season . . . The AFC North is the only division the Cowboys don't have a winning record against, holding a 32-37 all-time record.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going 2000 on this game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling TO is going to be feeling pretty good after this one, much to ESPN's chagrin.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

We are 3-0 when I go all in. 0-1 when I don't.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

this should be pretty ugly
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

17 points seems like a lot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://deadspin.com/5058127/ocho-cin...kiss-this-star

You've got to give props to Chad Formerly-Johnson, whose talents as a receiver are almost equal to his marketing acumen. Managing once again to somehow keep an 0-4 team in the spotlight, he vowed on Wednesday to score a touchdown and kiss the Dallas star when the Bengals play in Irving on Sunday. But he wasn't through.

Ocho Cinco also revealed that he had tried to orchestrate a trade to the Cowboys during the off season.

"If I was in Dallas, they would have to change all of our damn games to pay-per-view because you need to pay to see that," Ocho Cinco said. "I'm serious. I'm so serious. They would have to put all the games on pay-per-view. Because you can't just watch a show like that for free; 81 and 85? Come on, now. Please."

Ocho Cinco said he's angry the 0-4 Bengals are playing so poorly. The receiver told reporters to put Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart on notice that the Bengals are ready to break out. "Somebody's got to pay," he said. "I don't have a choice. I don't have a choice. Somebody tell Pacman or Adam or whatever the hell he wants to be called — he is going to get it. Anthony Henry, he's going to get it."

Cowboys cornerback Pacman Jones took exception to Ocho Cinco's declaration that their breakout would come at Dallas' expense. “When Sunday gets here I’ll be ready,” Jones said. “I expect him to have the same horrible games [as] the first four weeks. He hasn’t done nothing so far, so hopefully we can keep it like that.”

To be fair, Ocho Cinco said he would kiss the star with respect. "I've got so much respect for y'all," he said. "If I score Sunday, I love Dallas so much, I'm going to take my helmet off, get a fine and kiss the star."

LOL
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

As long as UD isn't making the GDT, we'll win easily.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-03-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to this game too and I hope we win by 20. I need an easy win after watching that crap last week.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Should be an easy game~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Kiss the star??? I would love to see him do that, but I still don't want them to score. Ok, maybe if they only get 7 points total....

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I want to see him kiss the star when we score.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I want to see him kiss the star when we score.
There's only one way to make that happen...

[I wonder if Ocho Cinco is trying to force his value low enough to land on the Cowboys roster...]

Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
alby
Guru

The Moral of the Story? Don't Lose a Bet to T.O.

Brad Johnson was sporting white tight pants and a blue, Tennessee-Chatanooga No. 80 "Owens" jersey in walk through this morning. Not a good look. At all.

Turns out Johnson, who is from Georgia, made a friendly wager with Terrell Owens, who is from Alabama.

The bet was on the Alabama/Georgia football game last week. Alabama won big in Athens, so Johnson had to pay up. Apparently, humiliation is pricier than money.

Johnson walked out wearing white tight pants, and an that Owens jersey. To complete the fun, Johnson also had a couple of Owens' stretch-bands that, apparently, come when you buy a copy of his new fitness book. Johnson mockingly used them during the stretching period.

But words are going to have to suffice for this picture. The Cowboys asked the camera crews that they not shoot Johnson. No word if this is a Johnson request or not. But let's just say Johnson is probably wise to have the image of him in an Owens jersey wearing tight white pants is not something he wants floating on the internet.

- Mac Engel

Contact Me
Old 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The Cowboys should win big this week, and I virtually just made sure...after all, I betted against them...or at least against the 17 point spread.

We should kill the Bengals, but I am having a hard time trusting our Defense...I could see a 34-20 Dallas win...that doesn't cover the 17 point spread...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If Fitzpatric starts at QB I'm going all in. How's that for confidence.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

VivaNajera - so is he a Dallas hater or just thinks it's too many points?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #20
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys will beat the Bengays by a lot.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Cowboys won by what could be considered alot...but it was less than 17!!!

On a side note, this defense is quite worrisome...they need to get it together or they will face more Playoff trouble.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #22
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Damn lost 200
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
On a side note, this defense is quite worrisome...they need to get it together or they will face more Playoff trouble.
For the last time - our defense is stout!

We're currently one of the top-rated red zone defenses in the NFL - we've forced more field goals inside the twenty than any team except Baltimore... We also have the least amount of 20-yard (or more) plays against us and only had ONE yesterday... Not to mention that only one team has gotten 100+ rushing (Redskins) and the only player who's been able to run over 65 yards against us was Clinton Portis (he does that against every team)... Sure, we need to force more turnovers and get more sacks, but our secondary is breaking up a lot of passes and the sacks tend to come heavier when the game is on the line...

I'd look more to Romo throwing at least one interception in his last 8 games (currently the longest streak in the NFL) and his 2 fumbles in the last 2 games - how good can our defense be when the other team starts their drive at our 40-yard line???

Last edited by Underdog; 10-06-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
For the last time - our defense is stout!

We're currently one of the top-rated red zone defenses in the NFL - we've forced more field goals inside the twenty than any team except Baltimore... We also have the least amount of 20-yard (or more) plays against us and only had ONE yesterday... Not to mention that only one team has gotten 100+ rushing (Redskins) and the only player who's been able to run over 65 yards against us was Clinton Portis (he does that against every team)... Sure, we need to force more turnovers and get more sacks, but our secondary is breaking up a lot of passes and the sacks tend to come heavier when the game is on the line...

I'd look more to Romo throwing at least one interception in his last 8 games (currently the longest streak in the NFL) and his 2 fumbles in the last 2 games - how good can our defense be when the other team starts their drive at our 40-yard line???
Look I am as DIE-Hard Cowboys as you are going to find. But I am also very realistic. This Cowboys defense has shown very little aggressive, attacking, intimidating type of play. They are more of a bend but don't break mentality. Honestly, is there a single team in the NFL that fears playing against this Cowboy defense?

Sure we have the potential to be good and actually we should be great, which would help the overall team. But they are average at best right now. It's a reality...the illusion is this thought that we have a dominating defense. We have a defense with a bunch of good guys, that are well liked throughout the league, but not a single ones that intimidates!!!

Think to Baltimore...peopel fear Ray Lewis and when push comes to shove, he will make a play or have everyone on his side of the ball in a position to make a play.

Think of old days with Mike Singletary...that Bears defense started and stopped with Mike.

Heck the Cowboys of the 70's...Harvey Matin, Too Tall, Randy White...just to name a few.

The Cowboys of the 90's where average until Haley took over. Then you add Norton for a period and Deion to wind down.

This team has upside. DeMarcus is a good solid player...but he is not hit that Intimidating stride that other teams fear. There is nobody on that Defense that other teams can't find an answer for...thus they come in here thinking they can beat this defense...can they slow our offense.

There is still time, but ignoring the reality will only enable us to have another December let-down!!!

I would like to see our defense HIT other teams with a bit more intensity...shake rattle and role these other teams so that they come in hear, to man, worried about getting hit...more than confident they can score.

Think about it on the other side of the ball...nearly every team in the NFL is worried about Barber and the pain he brings, Owens and the lightning scoring playmaking he brings, Romo and his escapability and playmaking he brings, Witten and the consistant play he brings...other teams fear this offense...

but they don't fear our defense and that is where this season will either succeed or fail.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Underdog

Bengals Receiver Impressed By Dallas Secondary

IRVING, Texas - Carson Palmer is a former No. 1 overall pick, and his two wide receivers may form the best tandem in the league. Those guys are good, even if things haven't gone their team's way this season.

There's no shame in allowing Palmer to throw for 217 yards and a couple scores. T.J. Houshmandzadeh had big fantasy numbers with seven catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns. But, how big of an impact did he really have?

And where was Chad Johnson during the game? Three catches for 43 yards and no scores - with a game like that, the midfield star he threatened to smooch might not have kissed back.

Some things could have been better, but in the end, the Cowboys can't really complain much about their pass defense. Palmer was just 23-of-39, and threw an interception on the first play. An 80.8 quarterback rating is nothing special, and the pass rush finally got to him twice on Cincinnati's final drive. But the main thing the secondary did right?

No big plays. The Bengals biggest gain through the air was a desperation 25-yarder to Houshmandzadeh on their last drive. Where was the receiver running free behind the defense, though? Braylon Edwards, DeSean Jackson, Donald Driver and Santana Moss all got open long against the Cowboys in successive games, but on Sunday there was nothing deep.

The team's defensive coaches have taken plenty of criticism for being unwilling to man up the superior athletes the team has at cornerback and press opposing receivers, but Houshmandzadeh said the Cowboys were better off allowing he and Johnson to have as much room as they did.

"Pressing a receiver has its pluses and its minuses," Houshmandzadeh said. "If you press them and you do well, it's a great job. If you press them and you get beat for a touchdown, why are you pressing them?

"If they would have pressed us, that's what would have happened."

Both Bengals receivers expressed a lot of love for Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart during the week leading up to the game. Stewart tried to recruit Houshmandzadeh to Missouri when the receiver was coming out of junior college and the two have kept in contact since they both reached the NFL. Stewart's contacts at Oregon State have kept him in contact with Johnson for years.

Stewart, Wade Phillips and the Cowboys defensive staff have maintained all along they were better off running multiple coverages, and Houshmandzadeh agreed.

"A lot of teams kind of play the same coverage," the receiver said. "Stew's smart enough to where he's going to mix it up and that's what they did, and when you have the kind of defensive players they have, you can do that."

Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I think fantasy has bastardized my love of football. I have twice picked up the Dallas Defense thinking, "I love these guys!" and twice dropped them thinking "they can't stop diddly-squat!" I am going back to admiring them as a fan only. (They better start sacking the stuffing out of everyone from now on!)

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #27
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I think fantasy has bastardized my love of football. I have twice picked up the Dallas Defense thinking, "I love these guys!" and twice dropped them thinking "they can't stop diddly-squat!" I am going back to admiring them as a fan only. (They better start sacking the stuffing out of everyone from now on!)
That's the hardest thing to remember in fantasy football - it has little to do with REAL football...

(because "producers" and "winners" aren't always the same thing... Kurt Warner is a better fantasy choice than Tony Romo - 'nuff said!)

Last edited by Underdog; 10-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.