Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Who should be next Cowboys Coach??
Keep Wade Phillips 4 8.51%
Hire Bill Cowher 25 53.19%
Hire Jimmy Johnson 4 8.51%
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach 4 8.51%
Hire someone else(3rd party) 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #81
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
From the frying pan into the fire.

Campo's secondary is the the most atrocious secondary in the league!

However he is well respected in that locker room

double negative eh?.....is this even correct?.....I dont know or care, I just know that secondary is hor - ri - ble!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #82
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I really wasn't looking forward to this but I don't guess it's the end of the world unless this stunt actually leads to several wins. Several wins could allow Jerry to be blinded by false hope and actually keep Garrett AND it could force our pick outside of the top-5. I don't want there to be any cock blocking of Cowher or Gruden.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #83
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
I really wasn't looking forward to this but I don't guess it's the end of the world unless this stunt actually leads to several wins. Several wins could allow Jerry to be blinded by false hope and actually keep Garrett AND it could force our pick outside of the top-5. I don't want there to be any cock blocking of Cowher or Gruden.
Anyone other than a proven Winner as our next head coach is a ridiculous move. Jerry HAS to know that.

He HAS to fill that stadium...and Jason Garrett doesn't do that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #84
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Garrett will initially help empty the stadium
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #85
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

So is anyone else hoping that they lose every single game left?

...only to keep Jerry from keeping Garrett and to get that stud in the draft?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about a resurgence under Garrett - the problems with this team run a lot deeper than our head coach.

The Cowboys are so full of give-up right now.

Not to mention that Romo is injured and we still have a brutal schedule ahead of us (@NYG, DET, NO, @IND, PHI, WAS, @ARI, @PHI) - I don't expect any better than a 4-12 record to end the season.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-08-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #87
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Anyone other than a proven Winner as our next head coach is a ridiculous move. Jerry HAS to know that.

He HAS to fill that stadium...and Jason Garrett doesn't do that.

Not only does Garrett not fill that stadium, but he also does not put bodies in front of the television to watch .....yesterday was the first time that I did not watch the Cowboys in 8 years...when normally my entire Sunday revolves around the Cowboys

Last edited by Mav Addict; 11-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So is anyone else hoping that they lose every single game left?

...only to keep Jerry from keeping Garrett and to get that stud in the draft?
*raises hand*
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #89
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I wouldn't worry about a resurgence under Garrett - the problems with this team run a lot deeper than our head coach.

The Cowboys are so full of give-up right now.

Not to mention that Romo is injured and we still have a brutal schedule ahead of us (@NYG, DET, NO, @IND, PHI, WAS, @ARI, @PHI) - I don't expect any better than a 4-12 record to end the season.

and thats being optimistic....I only see DET as a winnable game... there aint no way in the world that Kitna will beat any of those others teams....maybe ARI, but no way we beat any of our divisional opponents or NO or INDY

Last edited by Mav Addict; 11-08-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #90
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not only does Garrett not fill that stadium, but he also not put bodies in fron of the television to watch them.....yesterday was the first time that I did not watch the Cowboys in 8 years...when normally my entire Sunday revolves around the Cowboys
Yeah, I watched, but I just laughed. Again, I am past the frustration part and I truly am ever so slightly stoked at the idea of this upcoming draft in the way SA fans had to be knowing that Robinson would be back the next year along with a special player out of Wake Forest.

No, this obviously doesn't carry the exact same positive potential but if you turn the top 5 pick into a lower 1st, another 2nd, and a 1st next year we will have a lot of high-end talent coming on board in the next couple of years, especially when you consider that our 2nd is essentially a 1st, the 3rd essentially a 2nd, etc... Hell, even if we keep all the picks, that just means we have an even bigger opportunity to draft one or more true impact players, like we did last year with Dez (damn that boy is good, despite the muff).

You add all of that extra talent into an already talented roster (obviously with some player churning on the line and in the secondary) that now has fundamentals, discipline, and passion coming from Gruden/Cowher (oh yes, with our David Robinson back in Romo) and you have a very, very good team again.

This year sucks, but I just smile with every horrible loss. I am a Cowboy lifer, and I see the bigger picture here.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #91
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and thats being optimistic....I only see DET as a winnable game... there aint no way in the world that Kitna will beat any of those others teams....maybe ARI but no way we beat any of division opponents or NO or INDY
Actually, I don't think we beat Detroit. Their team looks a lot better than ours right now, regardless of their record - they barely lost to the Jets in O/T yesterday (not to mention only a 2-point loss against Green Bay and a 3-point loss against Philly).

Arizona is a pretty lousy team and there's always a chance that Philly has nothing to play for in the last game of the season. Otherwise, yeah, we could easily end up 2-14 or 3-13 (ya gotta think ANY team can get a win in this league, so we don't end up 1-15!)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #92
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

This calls for some Kool & the Gang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #93
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

I think Gruden/Chucky is the most likely next coach. Just listening to him speak, it seems pretty clear that he wants to coach somewhere and he almost sounds like he has already been auditioning for the position from the broadcast booth.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #94
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no...Jerry just said Garrett has a chance to win this job in the long term.

I hope that is just talk.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #95
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:

We better not win another game this season.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #96
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be surprised if Pasqualoni got the gig next year. Jerry may not be able to afford a Gruden or Cowher. He's pretty tapped out right now.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #97
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Tank time.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #98
Underdog

Quote:
Is this the same Jerry who said he wouldn't fire Wade Phillips?

Yeah, he says a LOT of things...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #99
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
Is this the same Jerry who said he wouldn't fire Wade Phillips?

Yeah, he says a LOT of things...

He told TO the same thing....

EDIT- Pasqualoni running the Defense
Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #100
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:

Don't worry Garrett will show just how one dimensional he is... there is no Romo to bail him out this time
Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #101
Underdog

Quote:
"One of the things I always felt [with Phillips], is that his head-coaching would have a great benefit from how well his defense was going," said Jones.
In other words: we just fired our defensive coordinator.

No surprise that the offensive coordinator is head coach now...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #102
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In other words: we just fired our defensive coordinator.
Good point.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #103
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Jerry really believe the franchise had its most productive offensive seasons due to Garrett, when actually it was Romo playing unconscious and not thinking about making mistakes....this is when he was at his best

Pasqualoni was chosen to take over the the defense b/c he is the only "hard-ass" coach left on the staff....which hopefully mean a hard ass coach will be also chosen this offseason

Last edited by Mav Addict; 11-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #104
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

mike leach
mav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #105
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...

Last edited by GermanDunk; 11-08-2010 at 11:12 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #106
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

So, the Cowboys are what they are...nothing much to say...

Just two questions...

Who are the potential top 10 players available in the draft?

Is there any of them that are considered a no miss franchise player...that if they do have the #1 overall pick...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #107
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hahahaah god, all i can think about is cowher or gruden...please jerry dont F this up
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #108
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping Garrett is the guy next year....

....no, seriously, I am.....

The thing about re-treads, like Cower, is that they've already retired once....they've already said, "I've won my trophies, had my fun, and I don't need the workload anymore." Coaching is for the most part a younger man's game these days. I think Cower / Gruden et al may be relatively safe picks but ultimately Bill Parcel redos.

Here's what I'm looking for from the team over the next 8 weeks - some fight, some discipline, a tendency to either play smarter on the field or get bitchslapped when they get back to the sidelines. I don't need W's under Garrett immediately, I just need some of the nonsense gone. If we see this team looking less like a bunch of p-diddlies and boneheads then I wouldn't be disappointed to see Redball back next year.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #109
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post

The thing about re-treads, like Cower, is that they've already retired once....they've already said, "I've won my trophies, had my fun, and I don't need the workload anymore." Coaching is for the most part a younger man's game these days. I think Cower / Gruden et al may be relatively safe picks but ultimately Bill Parcel redos.

Here's what I'm looking for from the team over the next 8 weeks - some fight, some discipline, a tendency to either play smarter on the field or get bitchslapped when they get back to the sidelines. I don't need W's under Garrett immediately, I just need some of the nonsense gone. If we see this team looking less like a bunch of p-diddlies and boneheads then I wouldn't be disappointed to see Redball back next year.
I sure as hell hope you are upset come coach replacement time then. I want ginger no where around this team after the end of this year. Cowher and Gruden are both young enough and passionate enough that if they commit to a team like Dallas they will be doing it with their eyes wide open and they won't be half-assing anything. Either one would be grateful and inspired and they would coach their ass off. The last thing I am worried about is a Parcells-like experience out of either of those guys.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #110
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can understand that sentiment with guys like Cowher or Dungy etc... but I don't think you can put Gruden in the same category. He's still a pretty young guy (granted, Cowher isn't much older but still) and most of all he's very obviously still passionate about the game and is not done coaching by a long shot. Remember, Gruden didn't "retire" at all. He lost his job in Tampa Bay, and has given no indication at all that he wants to give up coaching. You really can't compare to him to Parcells, who was already in his 60's when he came here and was CLEARLY burnt out on the game and didn't have the same fire he'd shown in his glory days.

Either way, all I know for sure is I don't want Jason Garret to have anything to do with this team. Seriously, I blame him for this team's current condition as much as I do Wade.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #111
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think I'm with you here. I'm going to be interested to see if Garrett can actually put some fight back in this team.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #112
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He told TO the same thing....

EDIT- Pasqualoni running the Defense
There's some rumors that Stephen helped change his mind in both instances.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #113
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I think I'm with you here. I'm going to be interested to see if Garrett can actually put some fight back in this team.
That is 2 little boys who I hope don't get their present come Christmas time. No Ginger please... Just no.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #114
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Either way, all I know for sure is I don't want Jason Garret to have anything to do with this team. Seriously, I blame him for this team's current condition as much as I do Wade.
I don't think that's fair -- Jason's job thus far has been very much an x's and o'x thing, and the problems on this team run much deeper than x's and o's. We can pick nits with his x's and o's all day, but the Cowboys have had a couple of top 3 offenses in total yards (and it's hardly his fault the cowboys have practically led the league in worst field position for the last several years).

As for Gruden....he was great in Tampa Bay for one year when he had a defense which had been assembled by Tony Dungee (an excellent talent evaluator in my view), but that team went into the shitter the longer Gruden hung around--the guy barely had a 500 record whilst in Tampa.

Point being, it's hardly a given that Gruden will be a signficant upgrade over Wade. His chief pluses are that he won a Super Bowl with a team assembled by Tony Dungee and he's the devil we don't know. If Garrett looks to be doing a good job as the *HEAD* coach between now and early January, then I think Jerry has to Jason's demonstrated performance with this team ahead of what somebody else did with another team nearly a decade ago.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #115
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think that's fair -- Jason's job thus far has been very much an x's and o'x thing, and the problems on this team run much deeper than x's and o's. We can pick nits with his x's and o's all day, but the Cowboys have had a couple of top 3 offenses in total yards (and it's hardly his fault the cowboys have practically led the league in worst field position for the last several years).

As for Gruden....he was great in Tampa Bay for one year when he had a defense which had been assembled by Tony Dungee (an excellent talent evaluator in my view), but that team went into the shitter the longer Gruden hung around--the guy barely had a 500 record whilst in Tampa.

Point being, it's hardly a given that Gruden will be a signficant upgrade over Wade. His chief pluses are that he won a Super Bowl with a team assembled by Tony Dungee and he's the devil we don't know. If Garrett looks to be doing a good job as the *HEAD* coach between now and early January, then I think Jerry has to Jason's demonstrated performance with this team ahead of what somebody else did with another team nearly a decade ago.
First of all, it is Dungy (sorry, had to). Second of all, we won 13 games after Bill left and that was not because Wade won with Bill's players, but because Wade was exactly what the team needed - someone to loosen the reigns a little bit after several years of a grouchy old man constantly bitching at them (as one player put it, you didn't know you won after a win with Bill). Our same team that struggled with Parcells thrived under Wade and it was because they felt like free men.

Gruden played that same role in TB - they needed a guy to get in the faces of those very talented players who had been somewhat coddled and he did just that and fired that team up and they played to their potential. TB's defense took Gruden's personallity on the field and it was very successful but they got old fast and Gruden didn't have the support financially that he will have in Dallas to keep their talent pool going. He won with a defense that was out of this world but he never did have even close to the kind of talent offensively that we have now.

We need that exact same fire now from whoever coaches us. We had a guy that, personality-wise, is just like Dungy. Now we need a guy that, personality-wise, is just like Gruden (or preferably IS Gruden). Every few years if you have a guy that is ALL one personality (ALWAYS pissed and in your face or ALWAYS nice and never pushes you) you have to change coaches. Gruden isn't nearly as bad as Parcells regarding being grumpy (and Cowher is even better) so I am not nearly as worried about that happening as fast as it did with Parcells. I likewise don't care if it does happen again in 5 years - we have about that long of a window anyway with Romo.

So why not Ginger? He is part of this same failure and the guys know that. You bring in a past Super Bowl champion with as much respect as Cowher and Gruden require and you have some seriously amped and ready-to-play guys that will respond to being challenged. Should it take that? No, but that seems to be the mindset of this team. I have said it all year long. We are dumb. Dumb. We are defeated men being coached by a defeated man (at least to the 53 suiting up). They should all play their hearts out every single snap, but it isn't happening and I don't see that changing with Ginger coaching us.

Besides, if you are basing your desire to keep Garrett on wins and losses with Kitna guiding our offense, numerous injuries, a poor line, and an even worse secondary - you will be on my side soon enough. These final 8 games have 2-6 written all over it. I say lose as many of the next 8 as you can, get great draft picks for next year, sign some talent in the offseason, and provide the leadership that you know can properly steer a ship while you have the next few prime years of Romo. Doing that to me is much better than gambling that a young coach can turn into something special. Maybe he can, but do you really want to bet the prime years of this team's catalyst on that? I don't, primarily because this year showed me that poor leadership trumps talent. I hope Jerry doesn't want to take that bet either.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #116
Underdog

If Jerry really thought Garrett was the answer at head coach, then he would have made this move a lot sooner.

The Ginger is nothing but a rent-a-coach to get us through the rest of the season so Phillips wouldn't have to look this team in the eyes for another 8 games...

Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #117
sike
The Preacha

This thing has me feeling like the stars are aligning to make Gruden the perfect change of pace for this team...and he almost seems desperate coach the Boys with the way he practically gags himself in praise of them whenever he gets the chance.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Mr. Woodson agrees with me... Well said Darren!

He of course lists Johnson because that is who he knows from his playing time that did that, and hell, he would be fine too, but we absolutely do need that intensity from our next coach.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #119
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Jerry really thought Garrett was the answer at head coach, then he would have made this move a lot sooner.

The Ginger is nothing but a rent-a-coach to get us through the rest of the season so Phillips wouldn't have to look this team in the eyes for another 8 games...
Yea... and now with Kitna, a crappy line, a lousy secondary and ridiculously bad special teams coverage, the pieces are in place to build a case against Garrett.

That said, maybe Garrett unleashes a Gruden-esque persona that he's had to keep under wraps as a mere coordinator?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #120
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First of all, it is Dungy (sorry, had to). Second of all, we won 13 games after Bill left and that was not because Wade won with Bill's players, but because Wade was exactly what the team needed - someone to loosen the reigns a little bit after several years of a grouchy old man constantly bitching at them (as one player put it, you didn't know you won after a win with Bill). Our same team that struggled with Parcells thrived under Wade and it was because they felt like free men.

Gruden played that same role in TB - they needed a guy to get in the faces of those very talented players who had been somewhat coddled and he did just that and fired that team up and they played to their potential. TB's defense took Gruden's personallity on the field and it was very successful but they got old fast and Gruden didn't have the support financially that he will have in Dallas to keep their talent pool going. He won with a defense that was out of this world but he never did have even close to the kind of talent offensively that we have now.

We need that exact same fire now from whoever coaches us. We had a guy that, personality-wise, is just like Dungy. Now we need a guy that, personality-wise, is just like Gruden (or preferably IS Gruden). Every few years if you have a guy that is ALL one personality (ALWAYS pissed and in your face or ALWAYS nice and never pushes you) you have to change coaches. Gruden isn't nearly as bad as Parcells regarding being grumpy (and Cowher is even better) so I am not nearly as worried about that happening as fast as it did with Parcells. I likewise don't care if it does happen again in 5 years - we have about that long of a window anyway with Romo.

So why not Ginger? He is part of this same failure and the guys know that. You bring in a past Super Bowl champion with as much respect as Cowher and Gruden require and you have some seriously amped and ready-to-play guys that will respond to being challenged. Should it take that? No, but that seems to be the mindset of this team. I have said it all year long. We are dumb. Dumb. We are defeated men being coached by a defeated man (at least to the 53 suiting up). They should all play their hearts out every single snap, but it isn't happening and I don't see that changing with Ginger coaching us.

Besides, if you are basing your desire to keep Garrett on wins and losses with Kitna guiding our offense, numerous injuries, a poor line, and an even worse secondary - you will be on my side soon enough. These final 8 games have 2-6 written all over it. I say lose as many of the next 8 as you can, get great draft picks for next year, sign some talent in the offseason, and provide the leadership that you know can properly steer a ship while you have the next few prime years of Romo. Doing that to me is much better than gambling that a young coach can turn into something special. Maybe he can, but do you really want to bet the prime years of this team's catalyst on that? I don't, primarily because this year showed me that poor leadership trumps talent. I hope Jerry doesn't want to take that bet either.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Male29Dan again...
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy pandering