Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Who should be next Cowboys Coach??
Keep Wade Phillips 4 8.51%
Hire Bill Cowher 25 53.19%
Hire Jimmy Johnson 4 8.51%
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach 4 8.51%
Hire someone else(3rd party) 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #241
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The difference here is that I thought Peyton was actually a good coordinator.
The history on Payton seems kind of mixed. Don't forget that he was stripped of his playcalling duties back in New York by Fassel and essentially run out of town. Then he landed here where he ran some fairly average offenses (although admittedly he didn't have a ton to work with at the time). I hear a lot of people say that they believed Payton was a great coordinator all along, but I can't say I ever foresaw what has happened down in New Orleans. Maybe you saw something beyond all that, and if so, you obviously did a better job evaluating that one than me.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #242
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
The history on Payton seems kind of mixed. Don't forget that he was stripped of his playcalling duties back in New York by Fassel and essentially run out of town. Then he landed here where he ran some fairly average offenses (although admittedly he didn't have a ton to work with at the time). I hear a lot of people say that they believed Payton was a great coordinator all along, but I can't say I ever foresaw what has happened down in New Orleans. Maybe you saw something beyond all that, and if so, you obviously did a better job evaluating that one than me.
Oh not at all. He just never did anything to make me think that he was a bad coordinator. Garret, on the other hand, has done a lot over the years to make me think that.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #243
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The difference here is that I thought Peyton was actually a good coordinator.
eh. Jason Garrett is intelligent. He learns. some of the things he's done can be explained by looking at what cards he's playing with. and sometimes he just gets out coached. it happens to every coach in the league.

he's not perfect, but i like the attitude he's instilled in this team over the last three games.

bringing in gruden would be the worst mistake you could make. he's horrible.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #244
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, it's time to put the future of this franchise in the hands of the Strawberry Hope.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #245
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Folks, it's time to put the future of this franchise in the hands of the Strawberry Hope.
Yep. I think that horse is already way, way out of the barn.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #246
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Strawberry hope? You mean Garret Top?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #247
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh... I think this win could seal it. At least they are playing hard, which is nice to see.

So much for that top 5 pick though.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #248
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Sigh... I think this win could seal it. At least they are playing hard, which is nice to see.

I found myself wondering about your theory, when we went to the overtime. Obviously, we had proven that we were equal with the Colts. Would winning the contest have proven that much more? I think not. Losing the game would have been preferable in this case, since winning carried with it no additional benefits.

But the Cowboys won anyway, those mufuckers, so whatareyougonnnado? I guess we will try to find a good player from the college ranks regardless. Wish us luck!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #249
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Jerry doesn't want to pay for a top-5 pick anyway...

We'll probably still end up with a top-10 pick, so no worries.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #250
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Good effort so far, but I think the next 4 games are where Garrett really shows what he is or isn't and whether he's going to be here or not. Garrett has received the new-guy-in-the-room kinda boost so far, but the real test is in front of him now.

It was interesting to hear (on the Ticket) Jerry's response to the question of what he thinks of the Garrett's job so far -- Jerry side-stepped the question and immediately started talking about the players -- it's as if Jerry is quite consciously keeping his options open for next season.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #251
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Good effort so far, but I think the next 4 games are where Garrett really shows what he is or isn't and whether he's going to be here or not. Garrett has received the new-guy-in-the-room kinda boost so far, but the real test is in front of him now.

It was interesting to hear (on the Ticket) Jerry's response to the question of what he thinks of the Garrett's job so far -- Jerry side-stepped the question and immediately started talking about the players -- it's as if Jerry is quite consciously keeping his options open for next season.
I would love to believe this, but honestly, I think it is done. I don't think it was cemented prior to this win like some said, but when you factor that this was against the mighty Peyton, in the 3pm timeslot, an overtime winner, put Garrett at 3-1 and 1 fumble away from 4-0, etc... Yeah, he could likely go 0-4 from here on out and get the job.

All I really care about is Cowboys success so if this red-haired cat is the guy for the job, so be it. Maybe what we REALLY need is a Cowher/Gruden-type DEFENSIVE coordinator to get THOSE guys playing like they should, instead of giving up 30+ points per game regularly.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 12-06-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #252
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jerry doesn't want to pay for a top-5 pick anyway...

We'll probably still end up with a top-10 pick, so no worries.
Top ten is still nice. Is there a stud safety top 10 prospect coming out this year?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #253
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Singletary anyone? Not even as DC? What about as a Whistlin' Ray impersonator?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy pandering