Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default 2010 Dallas Stars!!!

Seeing as the Cowboys are sucking at the moment, we might as well sit back and enjoy another team on a rise from the ashes story!!!

Opening up 4-0 compared to last year starting out 1-0-3...

This is a pleasant surprise!!!

I still think it's the best sport in town, sadly only niche in terms of fan/popularity. But then again, winning brings on more fans.

Hope this year turns out to be a positive shocker of a story and that this group forges it's own Post Modano Identity!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.defendingbigd.com/
Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

been reading defendingbigd for some time...great site, just not always able to post there...it's nice to have one site fit all.

Tonight is going to be a TV Overdrive night...a ton of shows, plus Titan football, Ranger Baseball and Stars Hockey!!!

Looking forward to getting things started!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
92bDad
Platinum Member

Nice OT Win last night.

This team is carving out a new name for itself, one filled with grit and the heart of a winner.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Eamjr10

Eamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really nice

Nice win for the Stars last night, another come from behind home win. Benn tied it up mid way through the 3rd with a great defensive play that led to a shorthanded breakaway goal, and then Ribs finished it off in the last 4 minutes for a 3-2 win against the Blues. The Stars are 4-1-1 in their last 6 games and 6-0-1 in their last 7 at home.

They take on the Blues again tonight, another 2 points would be nice.
Eamjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamjr10 View Post
Nice win for the Stars last night, another come from behind home win. Benn tied it up mid way through the 3rd with a great defensive play that led to a shorthanded breakaway goal, and then Ribs finished it off in the last 4 minutes for a 3-2 win against the Blues. The Stars are 4-1-1 in their last 6 games and 6-0-1 in their last 7 at home.

Indeed.

If I could direct your attention here: http://www.defendingbigd.com

I run this site and would be glad to have you sign up so we could hear your thoughts on a regular basis.

We tried talking Stars on this site for a while but it was fruitless because people can't seem to comprehend or appreciate sports they didn't play in elementary school.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:

Indeed...best of success to the team tonight!!!

While DefendingBigD is a great site, it never hurts to chat here on the DM site...it's kind of like a local bar where the regulars hang out. We always welcome fans who have a broader knowledge of sports in general and willing to chat on topics above and beyond Mavs only.

Great to have you here and looking forward to you popping in once in a while.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Eamjr10

Eamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really niceEamjr10 is just really nice

Thanks 92bDad for the welcome, and Flacolaco I visit Defendingbigd.com often for all my Stars news and info, even though I don't post on there a whole lot I think it is a great site with tons of information and articles.

Looking like another busy night with the Mavs and Stars in action, the Stars have a chance to go for 4 in a row tonight against a Carolina team that played last night. Hopefully the Power Play can continue to improve for us on the road, and with how Lehtonen has been playing, Stars have a great shot. Go Stars!

and it is nice to see the Stars sit atop the Pacific Division 22 games into the season, keep it up!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Eamjr10

Stars were able to extend their win streak to 4 games, after an impressive 4-1 road victory against Carolina. They now sit alone atop the Pacific Division, Washington will be in Dallas on thursday
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Thanks 92bDad for the welcome, and Flacolaco I visit Defendingbigd.com often for all my Stars news and info, even though I don't post on there a whole lot I think it is a great site with tons of information and articles.
Thanks! We work pretty hard at it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
92bDad
Platinum Member

On the road, again...so it's been tough to keep up with the Local Dallas teams.

Nice to see both the Stars and Mavs on a bit of a run...would love to see Arena Scheduling conflicts for the Post-Season!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Eamjr10

Stars make it 5 straight with a win against Washington! Stars still lead the Pacific Division and are second in the West, however the West is so close they will need to keep this win streak going if they want to get any kind of seperation from the other teams.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
92bDad
Platinum Member

Stars still in the chase, and now they have an old face back. Congrats on bringing Jamie back to Dallas!!!

Hopefully we will see a few more fans at the AAC as the Stars make a surprising magical run for the Cup!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
92bDad
Platinum Member

Another great and fun game to watch last night. Stars defeat the Oilers for a franchise record 8th road win in a row!!!

Last night I realized that I enjoyed watching the Stars more than the Mavs as I had to choose between the two. I watched the Stars and I checked my phone for the Mav score when the game was over.

Seems like the Mavs are living in Glass houses and that it is falling apart quickly. At least the Stars are here to keep Dallas fans excited about the potential for a title :-)

Kinda weird to see the 2 teams owned by Tom Hicks as the teams that have Championship potential. Both in his last year of ownership.

Congrats to the Stars and Rangers for bringing Hicks to a positive final days as an owner!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My problem with hockey is that I am a bandwagon fan. When the Stars are doing well, like now, I keep up with them and watch them quite often. When they suck, I don't watch.

Football, Basketball, Baseball -- not so much -- I tend to watch regardless of how the team is doing.

Since 2006 though, none of the professional sports interest me as much as before, and I have no emotional interest in any of them anymore. Thank you David Stern.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking I might drive up to Vancouver for the Stars game tomorrow, but it's not gonna mesh with work. It's only a 2-2.5 hour drive. They play again there Feb. 19, though, so I might do it then.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing I didn't go last night, huh?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
92bDad
Platinum Member

This has been a funky year...perhaps the decline of my sports woody started in 2006...

I still enjoy the local Dallas teams, in all sports...but I no longer live and die by the team...perhaps I'm finally growing up...then again, sooner or later, I'll find myself wondering in a tree forest again...oh the cycles of sanity and dysfunction...

I should become a politician, at least I'd have an excuse ;-)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #19
LonghornDub

ATTN Flaco:

I'm going to the Canucks game at Rogers Arena on Saturday. Please tell me the Stars aren't going to be absolutely embarrassed. Tell me they'll be out of this funk by then. Tell me I'm not going to be sitting in the "Molson Canadian Spirit section" amongst rabid Canucks fans while the Stars are losing 11-0.

Lie to me, if you have to.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Eamjr10

It's not looking too good for the Stars, currently 10th with about 8 games left. They are only 2 points out of the 8th spot, and 3 points out of 7th. But they will have to survive this west coast road trip again, they HAVE to step it up now.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

So is anyone here following this? Chicago just lost, meaning that Dallas gets in the playoffs if they get 2 points against Minnesota (this is the last game of the season).
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Fell on their ass. Sigh.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Sad.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
92bDad
Platinum Member

As a whole, the season went better than expected...but on the short side, today SUCKED!!!

Oh well, at least we have the Rangers to look forward to...
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
LonghornDub

Do we have Flaco officially on suicide watch?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flaco's been through this enough times, thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What an embarrassing finish to an embarrassing season.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #28
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Flaco's been through this enough times, thanks.
Can't blame me for lookin' out for ya.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Naa, but you have to know I have several thousand people experiencing the pain with us at http://www.defendingbigd.com and lots of conversation to have, players to interview over the summer (if they let me keep my press pass ) and everything else. There is new ownership on the horizon and we're all looking for a better day soon.

At 95 points they tied a record for most points earned while missing the post-season. It's just an unlucky year. Next year 91 points might get someone in. Hell, it always does in the East, where the Stars might actually make more geographic sense than in the "Pacific"

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
LonghornDub

I've actually been dropping by DBD for the past several weeks to keep up with the crazy end to the year, including a bunch today. You guys have to be one of the best SBNation blogs out there. Nice work.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Appreciate it, I really and truly do. We definitely spend an ass load of time on it. Sadly, on a day like today, that labor of love just makes it ache that much more.

All part of being a sports fan. As we all know.

I probably haven't felt this bad about a single game since Game Six in 2006 though, honestly. You know the one I mean.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
LonghornDub

Unfortunately, I do.

Thoughts on the chances of another extended postseason run by the Texas Stars? Unlikely without Benn on the roster?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They certainly are not nearly as formidable this year. Last year they were built to establish hockey in Austin (Cedar Park) and had a roster full of veterans. This year they gutted that team of expensive, older pieces and made it about kids, which is what an AHL affiliate is supposed to be about anyway. They got back to the post-seasons and I think they have a decent shot to get to round 2, but beyond that... Don't know.

I hope to make it down there for at least one game before they're done. Not sure yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #34
LonghornDub

Ah, I didn't realize the roster turnover had been so significant. I got to go to several of the playoff games last year (including Games 3-5 of the Finals, which obviously sucked), but haven't been able to this year because I'm several states away.

Some of my friends in Austin have gone to regular season games, though, and they said it's pretty lively again this year. So sounds like they did a fairly good job establishing hockey in Austin, like you said.