Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #481
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Reports now coming down, of course, that it will be Matt Moore, their stud flamethrowing lefty rookie, starting game one. Buster Olney said Niemann earlier today, but the Tampa paper says Moore now.

Crap. We were going to demolish Niemann. We've never seen Moore before. Now, I really wouldn't want to be any left-handed starter facing Napoli or Beltre right now, but still. Slightly nervous, only because we've never seen him. His first start against the Yankees he struck out 11 in 5 innings.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #482
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Reports now coming down, of course, that it will be Matt Moore, their stud flamethrowing lefty rookie, starting game one. Buster Olney said Niemann earlier today, but the Tampa paper says Moore now.

Crap. We were going to demolish Niemann. We've never seen Moore before. Now, I really wouldn't want to be any left-handed starter facing Napoli or Beltre right now, but still. Slightly nervous, only because we've never seen him. His first start against the Yankees he struck out 11 in 5 innings.
Well, we hit straight fastballs very, very well - especially those with pace. Just depends on his fastball's movement and how well he mixing in changeups/sliders/cutters/etc.

Not sure of his pitching arsenal and that is the part that scares me but the guy is obviously one of the very top prospects in baseball so he obviously has talent.

Just comes down to whether or not he is Feliz-like (a pitcher that I think if the Rangers face we have great success against) where 75% of the time he tries to blow it by you or is he matured to the point that he is a pitcher and not a thrower? I guess we will see soon enough.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #483
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Does anyone wanna buy my two spare tickets to the game tomorrow? Face value is $40. I'll be there with my dad, but two others won't be able to attend because of the game time. I really hope I don't have to eat these.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #484
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

^ nevermind, they just sold. Thank god because I didn't want two empty seats next to me. Sold them for half the face price. But I don't care, it's the playoffs. And I want an ass in every seat.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #485
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

See, this just pisses me off. I've been upset about letting Matt Moore go ever since it happened. He was supposed to be the next Tony Romo...wah, wah, and all that. I can't imagine why we couldn't keep him around for a while longer. And now that he is freaking pitching against us in the freaking baseball playoffs? Damn...how many ways can you get screwed, you know? We are so trigger happy, it would seem, on our prospects. You've got to give a guy like Moore a chance to thrive! It's the dumbest roster decision I've ever seen. And I don't care if he didn't have a lot of success in Seattle. Kid can play, and he's showing that. You have to respect that.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #486
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
????

Kiro's stats are correct.
I was talking about myself.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #487
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he was referring to himself. Thinking of the 1996 team as the 1999 team. At least that's what I can figure.

God, the Rangers really traded FRANK FRANCISCO for effin' Mike Napoli? That guy is my least favorite Angel! I'm so mad right now.
Yep, I was referring to ME screwing up and looking the part of the fool and you two kicking me in the nuts a couple of times.. deservedly so.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #488
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

I'm not happy about Tampa's decision at all...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #489
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

that is the question i have: why is it allowed that one team can decide the pitching order AFTER another team has announced the pitching order? wouldn't that give a significant strategic advantage to the team deciding later?

for example: team A has 4 pitchers a1 - a4, assuming their pitching skills as a1>a2>a3>a4; similarly, team B has 4 pitchers b1>b2>b3>b4.

let's also assume team A's pitchers are uniformly better than team B's, i.e., a1>b1>a2>b2>a3>b3>a4>b4.

let's further assume in every game, the team with better pitcher wins.

then, if both teams decide pitching orders without knowledge of each other, they will come up with a1 vs b1, a2 vs b2, etc. and it'll be a sweep for team A.

however, if team A has announced its pitiching order as a1 - a4, team B can then make its pitching order as b4, b1, b2, b3. and team B will win 3 -1, although they have inferior pitchers.
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #490
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
See, this just pisses me off. I've been upset about letting Matt Moore go ever since it happened. He was supposed to be the next Tony Romo...wah, wah, and all that. I can't imagine why we couldn't keep him around for a while longer. And now that he is freaking pitching against us in the freaking baseball playoffs? Damn...how many ways can you get screwed, you know? We are so trigger happy, it would seem, on our prospects. You've got to give a guy like Moore a chance to thrive! It's the dumbest roster decision I've ever seen. And I don't care if he didn't have a lot of success in Seattle. Kid can play, and he's showing that. You have to respect that.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #491
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
that is the question i have: why is it allowed that one team can decide the pitching order AFTER another team has announced the pitching order? wouldn't that give a significant strategic advantage to the team deciding later?

for example: team A has 4 pitchers a1 - a4, assuming their pitching skills as a1>a2>a3>a4; similarly, team B has 4 pitchers b1>b2>b3>b4.

let's also assume team A's pitchers are uniformly better than team B's, i.e., a1>b1>a2>b2>a3>b3>a4>b4.

let's further assume in every game, the team with better pitcher wins.

then, if both teams decide pitching orders without knowledge of each other, they will come up with a1 vs b1, a2 vs b2, etc. and it'll be a sweep for team A.

however, if team A has announced its pitiching order as a1 - a4, team B can then make its pitching order as b4, b1, b2, b3. and team B will win 3 -1, although they have inferior pitchers.
Hahaha... Would be funny if it were that easy, but yeah, you forgot about our:

C1
1B1
2B1
3B1
SS1
LF1
CF1
RF1

vs their equivalent playing a role in this every game by just making the assumption that the better pitcher wins out. Felix is better than anything we typically throw out there but our offense typically gets us the win. I hope to see a lot of those wins this series. We may very well be outclassed in most mound matchups (though I am pretty comfortable with Holland and Harrison) but our offense is truly leaps and bounds better.

May the best team win.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #492
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

of course my example is an over-simplication. i know it is never that easy.

but that example perfectly illustrates the strategic value of knowing your opponent's information before you make a move. it becomes just not a level play field.
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #493
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
of course my example is an over-simplication. i know it is never that easy.

but that example perfectly illustrates the strategic value of knowing your opponent's information before you make a move. it becomes just not a level play field.
Moot because no matter what is announced I can change any player on the lineup card anytime before first pitch.

So I announce a-b-c-d and I decide to go to a three day rest and only pitch three pitchers in the playoffs.

So I announce a-b-c-d and decide to start my long reliever instead because of a "sore" back.

Moot point with no real advantage unless you happen to get lucky.

Most teams would just say, I'll send mine out there, and we will beat you.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam lind for the win, more left handed than u, official business, throw strikes with me