Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #81
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Anybody have any problem with the job starters 3,4 & 5 did this first trip through the rotation?
Hell no! lol

Harrison was terrific, and so was Ogando. Holland wasn't terrific, but he was pretty good. I will take that kind of start from Holland every single outing.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #82
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

wow...Borbon saves the lead!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #83
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #84
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
wow...Borbon saves the lead!
I'm glad he made the catch, but that was a self induced dive. If you watch the replay, the ball is already past the infield when Borbon finally makes a move in the right direction...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #85
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
BTW, after reading about it on LSB and hearing Grieve mention it in game action, I think Napolli being the backup catcher actually increases my odds of winning the bet with Dan. Take a night like tonight: Moreland is going to sit, and Napoli is going to play against a lefty (always, I hope). If Napoli was the third catcher, maybe Wash plays Mike at 1B and Napoli at DH to get Mike some time in the field.

But since he's the back up catcher, Napoli's pretty much never going to DH.

Now, I personally think Napoli was pretty much always going to take precedent over Mike at 1B, hence why I made the bet, but this seems to help cement it.
There, I fixed it. And yes, as it appears, you (or should I say so many others that first pointed it out) might be right. 5 games in and 1 game played at 1B. I said 25% of the time and it is currently 20%. The Treanor trade likely makes it troubling at best for Young's numbers to be correct; however, I still think minus that trade I would have been right. Still might end up being right, but if not it isn't because I wasn't right at the time (gotta love those no lose situations).
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #86
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm glad he made the catch, but that was a self induced dive. If you watch the replay, the ball is already past the infield when Borbon finally makes a move in the right direction...
Absolutely - it was his bad/slow read that required him to dive. Glad he caught it as the catch absolutely saved the win for Ogando there; however, an above average CF defensively (something Borbon isn't AT ALL right now given his tattered confidence) catches that on the run.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #87
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Anybody have any problem with the job starters 3,4 & 5 did this first trip through the rotation?
Truthfully, Holland was very average. That said, 3/5 was solid as hell. Above solid - outstanding really. I am hopeful that Holland can get there but I am certainly not sold on him between the ears. He appears to need 1 more offseason so he can lose his nerd and find his Harry.

Still wish Feliz was starting, but I can't overlook how great he has been so far closing these games out. That was of course the sting you knew you created by moving him - you gained that arm for 6-9 innings in one game but lost that arm for the next 4 with someone else having to finish ballgames.

It is working this way so far - no doubt. Keep it up young pups.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I really, really don't like starting Moreland in RF to make room for Young to play 1B. Why do you want to weaken your outfield to that extent with Ogando going?

Frustrating.
Young played very well at 1B. You know this. Moreland is certainly serviceable in RF. You know this. Stop pouting about Young playing 1B.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #89
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ogando as a starter?

YES PLEASE

Talk about bringin the goods. What a first start. wow
yeah i liked him last season as a relief pitcher. he suprised me today. GO Rangers!!

Last edited by clutch#41; 04-06-2011 at 12:39 AM.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #90
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I managed to catch some of Harrison on my Extra Innings "free preview" up here, as well as Holland and Ogando on the Mariners broadcast. I was impressed by all three, but particular 3 and 5. I already liked Ogando, though.

I have a fairly simplistic question for you more serious baseball nuts And before I ask this, let me recognize that baseball is a very peculiar animal and we can't at all assume the Rangers will even make the playoffs.

But assuming they do, how do you guys feel about their chances without a true ace on the staff? I was thinking back through the decade to try and recall if any of the recent WS champions had a #1 guy who was at Wilson's level or lower, and TBH it's hard for me to remember how well some of these #1 guys (Carpenter, etc.) were pitching in their championship postseasons.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #91
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Borbon definitely got a late break on the ball, but I wouldn't call it a terrible break or anything. Balls hit straight at the outfielder are the hardest to judge, as we all know.

Continuing to insist that Borbon isn't an above average defensive center fielder is pretty silly. He had the one really bizarre play to start the season and has been just fine beyond that. He even made a pretty nice throw to second and just missed nailing Bradley on Monday.

As for Young/Moreland, it's more about Moreland being serviceable and Nellie being really, really good. That's the drop off. It just annoys me that we do that just to appease Mike.

Granted it's good to get Nellie some time at DH, but if we weren't so worried about Mikey's feelings we could do that against a rightie by moving Murphy into the field.

Anyway, not a huge deal and certainly didn't make any different last night. Just annoys me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He got a very poor break on the ball. It's ok.. he made up for it. It was a ball that I would expect any CFer to make.. and he made it. Borbon is fine in the outfield. Again, if he loses his job, it'll be because of his bat. However, he's swinging the bat pretty well right now..hitting the ball on the line.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #93
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

That ball was also slicing really hard to the right, so off the bat it probably looked like it was coming right at him.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #94
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I managed to catch some of Harrison on my Extra Innings "free preview" up here, as well as Holland and Ogando on the Mariners broadcast. I was impressed by all three, but particular 3 and 5. I already liked Ogando, though.

I have a fairly simplistic question for you more serious baseball nuts And before I ask this, let me recognize that baseball is a very peculiar animal and we can't at all assume the Rangers will even make the playoffs.

But assuming they do, how do you guys feel about their chances without a true ace on the staff? I was thinking back through the decade to try and recall if any of the recent WS champions had a #1 guy who was at Wilson's level or lower, and TBH it's hard for me to remember how well some of these #1 guys (Carpenter, etc.) were pitching in their championship postseasons.
Here's the thing about the Rangers.. They do have a couple of guys that can be legit #2's on a very good team. Wilson and Lewis have stuff good enough for that and they have a bit of a track record as a starter (all of one year). What they need is for some of these younger/less experienced guys to step up consistently and get to the #3 type starter level. If you've got a group of 4 guys that are legit top 3 starters, then you've got a shot. They need Wilson and Lewis to be at least at the level that they were at last year, and they need some guys to step up.

The Rangers have alot of young guys with stuff good enough to be top 3 rotation pitchers. Ogando certainly does. Holland is often viewed as a guy that can top out as a #2. Many have looked at Harrison as a guy that can top out as a #3. Personally, I think his stuff could move that up to a #2 if all worked out. Obviously, you don't know what to expect out of Webb. Personally, I don't expect much, but we know that his top side before his injury was a #1. With Hunter..well, I think he tops out as a #3-4 with him being a #4-5 guy much more likely. I also think he'll have some trouble getting his rotation spot back.

Ideally, you'd like for guys to step up from within. And yeah, they have that ability. Perhaps they don't have alot of ace type pitchers in the majors right now, but there may be one on the way here in a year or two.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #95
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Rangers also still have plenty of firepower to go after another ace during the middle of this season, if one becomes available.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #96
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, how weird is it to see Beltre range over in front of Elvis to make plays on grounders? Doesn't compute in my mind. It's a very similar reaction to when Elvis first got here and started making plays to the right side of 2nd base, which is something we hadn't seen here in a long time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #97
Murphy3
Guru

I actually thought about that last night Thig.. Beltre went far to his left for a ball.. Young hasn't moved that far for a grounder since.. ever.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #98
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Rangers also still have plenty of firepower to go after another ace during the middle of this season, if one becomes available.
I've heard a few writers say that they think the rangers might make a push for Chris Carpenter out of St. Louis around mid-season.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #99
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
I've heard a few writers say that they think the rangers might make a push for Chris Carpenter out of St. Louis around mid-season.
The #1 guy who I'd love to see come to the Rangers is Clayton Kershaw. He's a stud, no doubt. Plus he's a Highland Park kid. Oh yeah, and he's young and has a lot of good years ahead of him. I would trade almost anyone on our current roster to get him. Only Hamilton and Andrus are untouchables if I were GM. Yes, I would even trade Cruz if it helped get Kershaw.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #100
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here's the thing about the Rangers.. They do have a couple of guys that can be legit #2's on a very good team. Wilson and Lewis have stuff good enough for that and they have a bit of a track record as a starter (all of one year). What they need is for some of these younger/less experienced guys to step up consistently and get to the #3 type starter level. If you've got a group of 4 guys that are legit top 3 starters, then you've got a shot. They need Wilson and Lewis to be at least at the level that they were at last year, and they need some guys to step up.

The Rangers have alot of young guys with stuff good enough to be top 3 rotation pitchers. Ogando certainly does. Holland is often viewed as a guy that can top out as a #2. Many have looked at Harrison as a guy that can top out as a #3. Personally, I think his stuff could move that up to a #2 if all worked out. Obviously, you don't know what to expect out of Webb. Personally, I don't expect much, but we know that his top side before his injury was a #1. With Hunter..well, I think he tops out as a #3-4 with him being a #4-5 guy much more likely. I also think he'll have some trouble getting his rotation spot back.

Ideally, you'd like for guys to step up from within. And yeah, they have that ability. Perhaps they don't have alot of ace type pitchers in the majors right now, but there may be one on the way here in a year or two.
So would your assessment be that having a real "#1 ace" type isn't necessary if you have a really strong top 3-4?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #101
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The #1 guy who I'd love to see come to the Rangers is Clayton Kershaw. He's a stud, no doubt. Plus he's a Highland Park kid. Oh yeah, and he's young and has a lot of good years ahead of him. I would trade almost anyone on our current roster to get him. Only Hamilton and Andrus are untouchables if I were GM. Yes, I would even trade Cruz if it helped get Kershaw.
if it aint broke dont fix it
And cruz? are you serious smh!!

Last edited by clutch#41; 04-06-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
So would your assessment be that having a real "#1 ace" type isn't necessary if you have a really strong top 3-4?
Obviously, you'd like to have an ace. But, there's something to be said for having 3-4 guys that are capable of shutting another team down at any time.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #103
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
if it aint broke dont fix it
And cruz? are you serious smh!!
I am very serious. I love Cruz, but he is definitely tradeable for a guy like Kershaw.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #104
LonghornDub

Quote:
Obviously, you'd like to have an ace. But, there's something to be said for having 3-4 guys that are capable of shutting another team down at any time.
Yeah, and I don't want to sound like I'm underselling the guys on the staff right now. I'm kinda wondering what the philosophy will be from management going forward if, say as thiggy noted, an ace became available later in the season.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

If one is available, you look into it...without a doubt.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #106
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man, to be 6-0 with wins over Felix, Lester, Buchholz and Lackey (along with an up and coming Pineda - dude will be pretty good) to start the year with 3 young arms with limited MLB experience filling out the back end of our rotation is an impressive start and one I don't think anyone would have expected - not even the most optimistic. LOVING it though.

It is early, but all signs point to the following:

Defense - check (oh my GOD Beltre is such an improvement over Young)
Pitching - check (someone give Holland some damn books please)
Offense - check (BOOM Stick - nuff said)

We are pretty good guys. Now, on to face that pesky, pesky Baltimore team. Let's tie that franchise record for most consecutive wins to start a season.

GO RANGERS!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #107
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

That first one doesn't really do it justice, you need to see it at real speed.

The second one is freaking hilarious, and just further evidence that this team is insanely fun to root for.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #108
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Just finished watching the game. Awesome! I love the gifs posted above. If Beltre keeps bringing us that kind of defense, then I will cut him a whole hell of a lot of slack when it comes to his offense.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 04-06-2011 at 07:26 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #109
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, beltre at third....I don't think I appreciated how much of a hole that Young was until I saw some real d on the corner.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #110
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #111
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

How much better will the Rangers pitchers look, now that Beltre has solidified the Defense?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #112
clutch#41
Golden Member

so cliff lee pitched 3.1 innings and allowed 10 hits...Rangers=WINNING!!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #113
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well, I guess it was unrealistic that we would win ALL of our games. Sucks that we let a young kid look like Cy friggin Young, but we always respond like this to sinker ball pitchers. Instead of letting the balls pile up we swing away and ground outs and double plays just pile up. Here is to a great outing by Harry.

P.S. I absolutely DESPISE this team. They had our number last year and I really hope that trend stops soon. D.E.S.P.I.S.E.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #114
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

At least Baltimore gave us The Mantis.

Detroit is the team I can't stand. That place gives me the shivers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #115
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
At least Baltimore gave us The Mantis.

Detroit is the team I can't stand. That place gives me the shivers.
See what I mean Thiggy?

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This is more like it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #117
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is more like it.
Indeed it is...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

What was our record during the day last year by the way?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #119
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

So if Napoli and Moreland continue hitting well, does Wash have the guts to cut into Mike Young's playing time if he struggles?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #120
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
So if Napoli and Moreland continue hitting well, does Wash have the guts to cut into Mike Young's playing time if he struggles?
[Insert dumb answer for dumb question.]

[/Insert dumb answer for dumb question.]

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam lind for the win, more left handed than u, official business, throw strikes with me