Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Movies that got good reviews that actually sucked...

I was watching a little bit of Wonder Woman over the weekend... I was "wonder"ing whether or not I was just missing something.. Maybe it's just me, but it was extraordinarily mediocre. I think we're at a period in our culture where you can't call out certain movies.. A female super hero movie.. yeah, that's probably going to get much better reviews than it ever deserved. The action was hideous. So the enemy is just going to repeatedly shoot at her basically in the same spot? Yeah, that's awesome. The whole blocking gunfire with your bracelets is dumb....just a very, very mediocre movie.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

The blocking bullets thing has been one of her specialties, kind of like Batman's cable lift off thing. I actually liked the changes of speed during the fight scenes and thought that gave it a different look. But yeah, the bad guy was definitely lacking in story and character. Overall, it was a better movie than most other DC movies but not as good as almost any Marvel movie in my opinion. It's worth seeing but I wouldn't buy it for sure.

Overall, I feel that the majority of movies are mediocre nowadays. Storytelling has definitely declined and the industry just seem to be rehashing old stuff rather than developing anything new.

I was late getting to see Bohemian Rhapsody and thought that was a really good movie and should be seen in the theater if you can still find it.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder Woman was a bit overrated by critics & audiences because the bar for a good DC movie was set so low that you could trip over it... Batman v Superman was such a mess that all WW had to do was be a competent movie (which it was) to be seen as a major victory.

I'm in agreement with MavzMan that a majority of movies are mediocre these days. The decline of storytelling and rehashing of IPs is disappointing because making a movie is a lot easier than it used to be, so storytelling is where most of the effort should go.

I'd put any of the current Star Wars movies in this category... Most people liked Rogue One, but I thought it was absolutely mediocre because every character dies and the movie tells me that I'm supposed to feel sad about it, yet the movie never really gives me a reason to care about any of these characters. They're all so one-dimensional and forgettable. Better writing could have fixed that, but it would have been risky, and Disney does not do risky -- they ultimately let focus groups write their movies.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-21-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The king of overrated is Black Panther, and it has a legit shot at winning best picture. It was a fun super hero movie the same with the rest of them, but the idea that it was somehow groundbreaking is pretty ridiculous.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to mention Black Panther as well... I don't get it. I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I do enjoy them. I'm not a Marvel snob or anything else. I generally really enjoyed the Dark Knight movies with Christian Bale.. I thought the first Ant Man was really good... Enjoyed the first couple of Captain America movies quite a bit. I thought Dr. Strange was an absolute breath of fresh air. .. didn't like the Iron Man movies... thought the Avengers movies were pretty good... So, yeah, I'm a bit hit or miss when it comes to comic book movies. Black Panther and Wonder Woman didn't move the needle for me at all. Yeah, I know blocking bullets with her wrist guard things..kinda her thing. But at least be somewhat realistic with it. Everyone's going to shoot at you right about boob high and you're just going to flick your wrist nice and easy? Seriously?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

The bullets and WW bracelet I was able to cope with easier than some of that ridiculous tech in BP. The metal disc that allows a user thousands of miles away to control a car with no issues of lag or anything in a vr environment no less. The gamer in me just couldn't get on board with that.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

The second and third Iron Mans went downhill fast along with the second Thor. I thought Thor Ragnarok was great with Hulk talking more ... giving him more depth and now continuing in Avenger Infinity War. I really liked the Captain America Civil War story line that puts good guys against good guys. It's not part of the MCU, but i also loved both Deadpool movies.

It's hard to develop any character in a single shot movie I understand, but it still doesn't excuse the majority of movies. When you're introduced to a character and expected to have any kind of understanding in ~90 minutes, it just doesn't work.

I would give the first season of Jessica Jones and Punisher a try on Netflix. I really enjoyed seeing lesser super heroes that are a little messed up at the same time.

Fox and Sony have pretty much destroyed the Fantastic Four and X-men franchises so if Marvel attempts to bring them into the MCU, it will be interesting to see how they do it and also with what actors.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

I enjoyed season 1 of JJ.. really liked Daredevil. Haven’t seen Phnisher yet but want to.. didn’t care for the other Iron Fist and Nick Cage or whatever.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wonder Woman was a bit overrated by critics & audiences because the bar for a good DC movie was set so low that you could trip over it... Batman v Superman was such a mess that all WW had to do was be a competent movie (which it was) to be seen as a major victory.

I'm in agreement with MavzMan that a majority of movies are mediocre these days. The decline of storytelling and rehashing of IPs is disappointing because making a movie is a lot easier than it used to be, so storytelling is where most of the effort should go.

I'd put any of the current Star Wars movies in this category... Most people liked Rogue One, but I thought it was absolutely mediocre because every character dies and the movie tells me that I'm supposed to feel sad about it, yet the movie never really gives me a reason to care about any of these characters. They're all so one-dimensional and forgettable. Better writing could have fixed that, but it would have been risky, and Disney does not do risky -- they ultimately let focus groups write their movies.
Star Wars should be right up my alley.. but they have t released a great movie since The Empire Strikes Back.. and most of the ones since have t even been good.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
MavzMan
Golden Member

I feel like Netflix is trying to put out good stuff, but still the majority of it is still bad. However, I do like the Ozark series which is very much in line with Breaking Bad. If can stomach the evil-ness of it, which is much less than BB btw, it's a pretty good series that moves character development along at a pretty rapid pace while at the same time very willing to kill off interesting ones.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah...I thought Ozark was highly overhyped. I thought the writing of the locals was absolutely terrible. I do like Linney and Bateman..Actually, they are two of my favorites. But I kicked the show to the curb.. It kinda has the vibe of one of those shows you're supposed to like because of who's in it and because it's the hot thing with the mac book crowd....but it never worked for me.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-23-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:57 AM   #12
SandUO

SandUO is on a distinguished road

If we are talking about Black Panther and WonderWoman, the first one is definitely better. I don't like how she plays the main character in WW at all. As for the other overrated movies, I was really disappointed with the Glass. The Unbreakable was much better.
SandUO is offline   Reply With Quote