Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need accountability to reach this goal...

I've recently began to run again after a long layoff...one that wasn't quite as enjoyable of a layoff as one would hope, but that's another story. Anyways, during my time away from running or doing much of anything that required running, I put on ..ohh...20 pounds or so. Anyways, here's the point. Being 220 pounds isn't that bad for me, but hey, I'm getting old and it's time to get in great shape and stay that way so that I won't randomly die some day from a massive coronary. Well, my drinking binges in college may help to cause that anyway, but once again, that's a different story.

Anyways, whenever I had to stop running a few months back, I was up to running 6 miles 4-5 times a week. That was nice, but I still wasn't where I wanted to be because my diet included eating out 10-15 times a week (my main choices were Wendy's, McDonald's, Chik-Fil-A, etc, etc). So, here's my goal. To run a marathon by the end of this year. No, I don't like running, but it's the easiest way to get into shape and stay in shape.

Where am I at now? Well, I've only been able to resume running for a couple of weeks, so I'm pretty much at ground zero. I ran a mile for the first time a few days ago. Yesterday and the day before, I ran 3 miles both days. I know that once I can get back to where I'm running 6 miles 2-3 times a week, I'll pretty much be able to knock out 10 miles at least once a week. When will I b at 6 miles 2-3 times a week? Well, weather permitting, sometime around mid to late February.

Anyways, this thread is just for me to keep up with what I'm doing. If I put it in 'writing' where others will see, it'll motivate me to keep up with the running..but more importantly, it'll motivate me to see the goal and cut out alot of the eating out... Hey, I just need others to see it so that it'll add a little more incentive to getting to where I want to be.

That's all... laugh at me for being agay and running,..that's fine.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-14-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

..as I'm typing this, I'm eating homemade lasagna with extra cheese, extra sausage, and extra hamburger meat.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I just ran the NYC marathon in November. It was tough and the long runs on the weekends were slightly brutal. I started running 2 years ago and prior to that, despite always being an athlete, I was a terrible runner. I hated it. Would run a mile and stop. It seemed torturous. Still don't love it, but I do love how it makes me feel. However crossing the finish line was one of the great experiences of my life...truly a great, great experience.

Good luck Murph!

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

Good luck Murphy! (Start with putting the lasagna up )
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy, you suck. Get out there and run lard a$$!

Did that get you on your running shoes and up and running or what?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

actually, I just got through dissecting a pig...I'll run in a bit.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I heard somewhere that Olympic runners have significantly reduced life expectancies. There might be something after all to that idea that your heart only has so many beats in it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

From everything that I've read, distance running generally adds to your life expectancy.. looks like the average is around 3 years, but that obviously depends on numerous factors.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Muprh, I went on the Abs Diet Challenge through Men's Health about this time last year and dropped 25 pounds in about two months or so. It was really easy to do and I've been able to keep all the weight off. I highly suggest the diet, as it's really not a diet as much as it is a lifestyle change. Plus it mixes in the weights/cardio that help build the lean muscle. Anyway, I know my eating habits were horrid, so if I can do it, I'm positive you can. Good luck!
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

I don't really need a diet. I was unable to play sports, run, jog, or pretty much anything for several months. Now that I can, the 15-20 pounds will easily come off. But, the running thing is more or less me doing something that I hate doing just to prove to myself that I can ...and running a marathon would pretty much be about the ultimate goal as far as running goes.

But thank you for the suggestion. I've always been a bit up and down, but it comes off rather easily whenever I decide that that's what I want to do. With that being said, that #4 SuperSized at McDonald's that I had for lunch was damn good.

Last Sunday.... 222
Today 218

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-15-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

wow! quite the ambitious goal Murph! I used to run, and I loved it! I never ran more than 3 or 4 miles at a time though so I can't imagine doing a marathon. you actually have inspired me to start jogging again. when I was in my best shape, I beat my dad in the turkey trot in Dallas (which was a big deal because he too is a runner, and I was always the "smart kid" while my brother was the athlete!). that was only a 5k. maybe I'll make it my goal to run in the turkey trot at Thanksgiving. We could support each other? I've been pretty sedentary the past couple of years, and my body is now starting to feel the effects. I have high blood pressure and would love to bring it down!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i believe in you murph =]

kinda makes me want to get up from my couch and start doing something active

..but not really

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I don't really need a diet. I was unable to play sports, run, jog, or pretty much anything for several months. Now that I can, the 15-20 pounds will easily come off. But, the running thing is more or less me doing something that I hate doing just to prove to myself that I can ...and running a marathon would pretty much be about the ultimate goal as far as running goes.

But thank you for the suggestion. I've always been a bit up and down, but it comes off rather easily whenever I decide that that's what I want to do. With that being said, that #4 SuperSized at McDonald's that I had for lunch was damn good.

Last Sunday.... 222
Today 218
Very Nice Job Murph.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

whatever you do, listen to your body

if you want get in shape and become/stay healthy, do yoga and/or taiqi

deep breathing and slow movements is the best you can do for your body

endurance sports only get you that far

the former German foreign minister (Fischer; now on his way to a teaching job at Harvard) started running after he became one of those fat politicians, he ran a few marathons and lost about 60 pounds (or more, can't really remember; he was really slim at one point) in the process. After stopping running and starting indulging in French cuisine again, he soon turned back into the fat suit in no time...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Dude, I have no interest in yoga. I'm not a Democrat.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-16-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for reference, how tall are you with a weigh of 218lbs?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

6'2
Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #18
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
whatever you do, listen to your body

if you want get in shape and become/stay healthy, do yoga and/or taiqi

deep breathing and slow movements is the best you can do for your body

endurance sports only get you that far

the former German foreign minister (Fischer; now on his way to a teaching job at Harvard) started running after he became one of those fat politicians, he ran a few marathons and lost about 60 pounds (or more, can't really remember; he was really slim at one point) in the process. After stopping running and starting indulging in French cuisine again, he soon turned back into the fat suit in no time...
The thing is: he lieks to eat, he didn't stop running, even throughout his election campaign he ran 1 1/2 hours a day.

Anyways, I'm gonna start preparing myself for a half marathon (13 miles) in a couple of weeks. But I don't wanna los any weight, I'd rather gain some weight, which is pretty impossible while I'm still in school, because I just don't have any time, whatsoever.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 01-16-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you can do it fat boy!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Edit

Last edited by Smiles; 03-07-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Smiles, you lost 20 pounds? I thought you barely weighed over 20 to begin with.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #22
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

wow Smiles! that's awesome! I have done Weight Watchers before and was very successful. I'm thinking about doing it again. I just wish my husband would do it with me. It's hard to be eating different things, but he hates anything that is remotely healthy so that's a lost cause. I just know I'll be a widow by the time I'm 40! But I guess if I'm going to be a widow, I might as well be a skinny, healthy widow!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Widow's are underrated.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #24
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Widow's are underrated.
as are nuns.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #25
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

so, uh, how's it going so far?
Old 01-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Well, went 4 on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, and 5 on Thursday. I took yesterday and today off. Tomorrow I'll go 4-5 depending upon how I feel.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

...surprised myself and went 6.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
...surprised myself and went 6.
lost any lbs yet?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have also began to get back in shape but i never really lose weight because i do weight workouts too. I am working out with the vague notion that i might walk on as a fullback at UT this summer though i doubt it (Im not one of those uncle rico idiots who thinks they could start anywhere) but mainly, just the vague goal gives me a reason to work out. I do about 5 miles a day on an eliptical but have actually gained 1 lb since i started working out 3 weeks ago. That goes with the weight workouts though. 3 on 3 full court basketball is the best cardio workout there is. (The less people who play the more you have to run)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah, but for 3 on 3, you gotta go half court. Gotta have at least 4 on 4 before you can consider going full court.

Yeah, down to 215 Sike.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

we do it with 3 sometimes which i like because honestly im not that great. (I cant dribble that well.) But i can run and jump which leads to scoring in the open court though it can get a little hectic. I suprise people who havent played me because i do weigh 245 lbs but i have decent speed and I am REALLY quick side to side.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #32
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

For those who may be interested:

A decent place to log your activity and compare your workout intensities and times is www.presidentschallenge.org
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

4 and 3 the past two days...wearing down quickly because of lack of eating before running. I skip breakfast alot of times, so it's difficult to run at around noon if you haven't eaten since 8 the night before.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Yeah, i have gone a little away from running and now am playing basketball more. Best of 5 4 on 4 full court basketball to 16 every night. Smiles thanks for the link.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Ok..so you people suck on the whole accountability thing.
Well, by mid February, I had reached my goal of running 6 miles 2-3 times a week. So, I moved on to the next goal in my journey to running a marathon sometime before the end of the year.

My goal now is to reduce my per mile time. But, I'm also re-tooling my running style. I've always ran too much on the balls of my feet with shorter strides. Well, that's not conducive to repetitive long distance running. It also makes it difficult to drastically reduce my time. Basically, I was using too much of my lower legs and not enough of the upper legs in the jogging process. So, my calves would be so sore the next couple of days that it was difficult to put together a week of 4 solid runs. That used to not be a problem, but I'm getting old I suppose. It's just time to lengthen the stride a bit.

So, I'm working on lengthening my stride and increasing my pace. Here's my plan. For March and April, I'll be using a different workout plan the majority of the time. Initially, it involves running individual miles each under a certain time. So, for now, I'll run 1 mile under 7 minutes, walk a lap, run another mile under 7 minutes, walk a lap... you get the picture..do that 4 times. After I'm able to consistently do that relatively painlessly, I'll step up the workout again. I'll run 1.33 miles, walk a lap...1.33 miles..walk a lap and so on until I've ran 1.33 miles each under 9:20 seconds 4 times... then up to 1.5 miles 3 times (then 4 times)... and 2 miles 2 times (then 3)... and so on until I reach the 6 mile mark again...

Anyways, I just wanted to update the progress. I had to go through a similar workout routine in high school. It was a little more intense with the base mile time at 6:00 minutes to around 6:15. But, this isn't about competition at all (it wasn't about that for me in high school...just forced to do so)... this is more about accomplishment.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-10-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

I thought about this thread the other day. My friends had the bright idea of playing 2 on 2 full court basketball. They are in hs and they were basically using it as a fastbreak drill but man i thought i was gonna die. We played 3 games and my team won all 3 though. That said if you get a chance to play 2 on 2 full court bball. Dont. Its fun but unless you all 4 players are in amazing shape it turns into a series of 2 on 1s and 1 on none breaks.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

I've played 2 on 2 full court..when I was 8.
It's not remotely fun...It becomes a game that doesn't resemble basketball.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Like i said they were using it as a fastbreak drill. It can actually be fun if everyone is in good enough shape. I just went along with it bcus i wasnt doing anything else.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #39
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Murph, you inspired me to get my lazy ass up and do some cardio as well (I'm about 6'1, 175-ish). Problem with me is I actually lose weight (hyperactive metabolism) if I don't work out so it's hard for me to tell when I'm really out of shape. Did about an hour on the bike yesterday in the gym downstairs to the tune of 12 miles and about 30 min. of rowing. Sore as sh*t but feel pretty decent about myself.

Keep it up dude! We're increasing our longevity!
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Well since this thread is about accountability someone other than murph should bump it. Thus i am bumping it. How goes the running murph?

Tags
how about these nuts, murphy3