Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bush Phone Call Helps Local Man Deal With Loss

Bush Phone Call Helps Local Man Deal With Loss

NBC4i.com

President Calls Man After Wife's Death

POSTED: 5:00 pm EST November 3, 2004 UPDATED: 8:12 pm EST November 3, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- It was an all-out push to the finish for President George W. Bush during the 2004 campaign, but in the middle of the battle, a single phone call placed by the president made all the difference for a Columbus-area man, NBC 4's Holly Hollingsworth reported.

Karry Ellis, an assistant chief for the Columbus Division of Fire, is grieving the loss of his wife to cancer, but he said the nation's returning commander in chief found time late in his campaign to show compassion.

Two week ago, Ellis' wife, Martha, passed away after a six-year battle with breast cancer.

"She just took two real slow, deep breaths, and I just screamed, 'Sweetheart, I love you!' " Ellis said. "And she just kind of raised up and said, 'I love you.' And that was it. She was gone."

During a Bush campaign visit a couple of months ago, Ellis managed to meet the president and told him about his wife's diagnosis. The president and first lady sent notes and even called Ellis' wife on the phone.

"And she said, 'Oh my God, I can't believe you're calling me,' " Ellis said. "And she said she said that a couple of times. And he said, 'Well, I just met Karry down at Nationwide Arena and he told me about your battles. I just wanted to let you know that Laura and I will be praying for you every night.' "

When the president made his last-ditch campaign swings through Ohio late last week, he learned of Martha Ellis' death. Just before boarding Air Force One to leave Columbus last Saturday, he took a moment to make a call. Karry Ellis picked up just as the answering machine clicked on.

"I want you to know our prayers are with you," Bush told Ellis as the answering machine was recording. "And I remember when you talked about her, you talked with such passion and love, that I know you're hurting right now. (She was a beautiful woman, Mr. President.) I know it."

Ellis said that when he listens to the president's words, he said he knows they come from the heart.

Ellis said that several of his friends and neighbors voted for Bush based simply on the kindness he showed to the Ellis family.

Ellis said he feels that compassion is one of the most important traits a leader can possess.

Link
Old 11-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Bush Phone Call Helps Local Man Deal With Loss

Dubya
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic story.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Bush Phone Call Helps Local Man Deal With Loss

Uh oh! Bush is praying for him... isn't that some kind of offense???!?!?!

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubya!

I cannot respect a man any more than I respect him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

wow. heavy.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote