Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post

I'm 3-0 on GDT's so far this season, let's keep the undefeated streak rolling. If we win this game, I'll take the Boston game as well. Bring it!

Chicago 92 - 103 Dallas
I could easily take the low road and wish a blemish to your streak, that's not in my blood though. We're here for the greater good, and that's some Mavs Ws.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #42
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmmmm....

I get your point that you try to take advantage of an opportunity when it arises, but to say the ship has sailed. Things happen, some of them completely unexpected...you can't take anything simply at face value.

I'm on board with the "30+ games left" camp.
The Mavs had 30 games last year as well to get over the hum,p and into the top half of the bracket. They were always within 1 or 2 games of getting that side. So far unfortunately this year is playing out like that as well. That is why the 30 games is meaningless.

The Mavs could get hot like Houston did last year and win 22 straight. But do you honestly see that happening? I most certainly do not. The Mavs will have to fight and claw their way to the top 4. And they have already had several chances to get in that spot so far this year.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The Mavs had 30 games last year as well to get over the hum,p and into the top half of the bracket. They were always within 1 or 2 games of getting that side. So far unfortunately this year is playing out like that as well. That is why the 30 games is meaningless.

The Mavs could get hot like Houston did last year and win 22 straight. But do you honestly see that happening? I most certainly do not. The Mavs will have to fight and claw their way to the top 4. And they have already had several chances to get in that spot so far this year.
So what's the point of playing the games if it's all meaningless? Let's just forget playing it out and go right to the playoffs!

The simple fact that Houston win streak happened should say "anything is possible." Can they have a repeat of their last 30 games of last season, they very well could...anything is possible.

Development, trades, injuries, etc. etc. etc. They're all going to play a role in how this plays out for Dallas and everyone else in the league. I highly disagree with you though that these 30+ games are meaningless.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #44
MainEv3nt

MainEv3nt will become famous soon enoughMainEv3nt will become famous soon enough

link for stream?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So what's the point of playing the games if it's all meaningless? Let's just forget playing it out and go right to the playoffs!

The simple fact that Houston win streak happened should say "anything is possible." Can they have a repeat of their last 30 games of last season, they very well could...anything is possible.

Development, trades, injuries, etc. etc. etc. They're all going to play a role in how this plays out for Dallas and everyone else in the league. I highly disagree with you though that these 30+ games are meaningless.
But the first 50 games all those things have played a role in the standings, and the Mavs haven't taken advantage of it. At some point you have to take advantage of opportunities. And when your opponent is down, that is the perfect time to take advantage of it. You don't get the same advantage when your opponent is own his feet.

The Mavs allowed the opponent on the ground the opportunity to stand back up. And who knows, will the opponent get on the ground again? I hope they will. But why make it harder on yourself? That is the problem this year with the Mavs. They play so hjard to stay right there with their opponent and as soon as the opponent is vulnerable, the Mavs do't seize the chance to take advantage of it.

Yall seem to think that the chances will always be there. It's like saying: we'll get them next time. That may have been the Mavs next time. That is the problem. You have to grab hold.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #46
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs will have to fight and claw their way to the top 4. And they have already had several chances to get in that spot so far this year.
And they would have to fight and claw their way to stay there if they were there right now. What's your point? You make it sound as though being top 4 with 2 months left in the season somehow locks a team into that place. There's hardly any difference between the Mavs' current position and the position they would be in if they were #3 or #4 right now. Still 2 months to go, either way.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #47
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
But the first 50 games all those things have played a role in the standings, and the Mavs haven't taken advantage of it. At some point you have to take advantage of opportunities. And when your opponent is down, that is the perfect time to take advantage of it. You don't get the same advantage when your opponent is own his feet.

The Mavs allowed the opponent on the ground the opportunity to stand back up. And who knows, will the opponent get on the ground again? I hope they will. But why make it harder on yourself? That is the problem this year with the Mavs. They play so hjard to stay right there with their opponent and as soon as the opponent is vulnerable, the Mavs do't seize the chance to take advantage of it.

Yall seem to think that the chances will always be there. It's like saying: we'll get them next time. That may have been the Mavs next time. That is the problem. You have to grab hold.
I would say the 4 game win streak was definitely taking advantage of opportunities...wouldn't you? The scores might've been closer than the game actually indicates, but they had control in those games pretty much the whole way. At least 2 of those wins were facing teams on the 2nd night of their B2Bs. They held control against a crappy Warriors team who always give us fits and they beat a solid up and coming Portland team. All 4 of those gamse showed strong examples of taking advantage of situations based on your opponent.

YES, they did lose to Utah, but Utah did IT'S job...taking advantage of an opportunity.

As YES, I will think that chances will always be there. This team is flawed and has issues, but we still have Dirk. If we have him, I'll never count them out.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-07-2009 at 08:31 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #48
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Ive been playing Mavs vs Bulls on NBA 2k9 all day, and I owned the bulls. Howard had a big game. Go Mavs!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #49
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

http://albaaa.altervista.org/watch.php?id=201

its not working at the moment
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
Bayliss

Quote:
And they would have to fight and claw their way to stay there if they were there right now. What's your point? You make it sound as though being top 4 with 2 months left in the season somehow locks a team into that place. There's hardly any difference between the Mavs' current position and the position they would be in if they were #3 or #4 right now. Still 2 months to go, either way.
Because it is easier to stay in the lead than it is to try and take the lead. That game gives them a cushion. The Mavs will have some slipups the rest of the year. But having a slip up when you are in control doesn't do as much damage as a slipup occurring when you aren't in control.

Quote:
would say the 4 game win streak was definitely taking advantage of opportunities...wouldn't you? The scores might've been closer than the game actually indicates, but they had control in those games pretty much the whole way. At least 2 of those wins were facing teams on the 2nd night of their B2Bs. They held control against a crappy Warriors team who always give us fits and they beat a solid up and coming Portland team.

YES, they did lose to Utah, but Utah did IT'S job...taking advantage of an opportunity.

As YES, I will think that chances will always be there. This team is flawed and has issues, but we still have Dirk. If we have him, I'll never count them out.
And that's my point exactly. The Mavs clawed their way to get the opportunity to get the 4th seed. And what happens when they finally get the chance to overtake those teams? They stumble and fall right back down. Now they have to claw their way again just to get the opportunity to overtake them. Instead of already being ahead of them and trying to put distance between them and the other teams.

Last edited by Bayliss; 02-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #51
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

link?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Because it is easier to stay in the lead than it is to try and take the lead. That game gives them a cushion. The Mavs will have some slipups the rest of the year. But having a slip up when you are in control doesn't do as much damage as a slipup occurring when you aren't in control.
To me, that sounds like you're saying it's easier being the hunted rather than the hunter. I don't know who exactly would agree with that. I think of lot people see this team better suited in the underdog role and being under the radar instead of seeing if they can keep their pace up and fight everyone off.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #53
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let Del Harris back on that plane!
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #54
Bayliss

And I hate having Skin at the home games. It makes the broadcast awful. Bob rarely gets to talk now.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #55
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Ortegal's tie.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #56
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Being 1 or 2 games higher in the standings is not much more "in control" than where the Mavs are right now. I think you're seriously overestimating the difference between being the #4 seed 10 games behind the Lakers and the #8 seed 12 games behind the Lakers. The difference is 2 games, which is not much of a cushion (if you're #4), or a deficit (if you're #8).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #57
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Go Mavs!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #58
Bayliss

Quote:
To me, that sounds like you're saying it's easier being the hunted rather than the hunter. I don't know who exactly would agree with that. I think of lot people see this team better suited in the underdog role and being under the radar instead of seeing if they can keep their pace up and fight everyone off.
I view it more as fighting a battle in a war. It is easier if you have the high ground.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

lets do this boys and girls. LETS GET THIS W!!!!!

GO MAVS!!!

M/F/F/L
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #60
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Wait, Wright draws double? Or was that just Noah?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #61
Bayliss

And Dirk continues to be pitiful so far.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #62
Bayliss

Good God. Dirk sucks so far. Send him to the bench if he is going to suck this bad.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #63
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Awful start. Ugh.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #64
texasrfan

texasrfan is on a distinguished road

Working link?
texasrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #65
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wow
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #66
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Wright is still the only one with points?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #67
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I view it more as fighting a battle in a war. It is easier if you have the high ground.
But like LDub said...maybe the high ground is a pile of dirt, it's not that much of a difference. The margin doesn't make the #4 seed that much more powerful than the 8 right now.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #68
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is the most insecure superstar in sports.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #69
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

13 to 4 start
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #70
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone throw some linkage my way.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #71
TNT

TNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to all

link anybody?
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #72
Bayliss

And Dirk passes up a wide open jumper off of a screen. Shoot the ball Dirk. He loses his confidence way too easily.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #73
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk made a shot?

Contact Me
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #74
Bayliss

That was a nice shot by Dirk. Still hesitated though. Don't be hesitant.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #75
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Dr. Z's WMP links.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #76
Bayliss

Quote:
But like LDub said...maybe the high ground is a pile of dirt, it's not that much of a difference. The margin doesn't make the #4 seed that much more powerful than theright now.
It isn't about being more powerful. It is about getting homecourt and getting a good matchup. Just ask Utah the last two years about it.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #77
BGMaverick9
Guru

This is nearly the best case scenario from Wright.

He's playing good D, attacking the lane, making the smart passes.
He just needs to keep working on that Jumper.

For the record, since it's been debated lately, right now:
Wright > Green
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #78
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
I miss Dr. Z's WMP links.
same here =(

Contact Me
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #79
alby
Guru

Quote:
It isn't about being more powerful. It is about getting homecourt and getting a good matchup. Just ask Utah the last two years about it.
This year, getting the best matchup does not necessarily equate to finishing in the top 4.

Contact Me
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #80
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The only team Utah had homecourt over the past two years was the Warriors. And that should have been us.

Tags
alby=rep, dirk = clutch...again, dirk = the awesomeness, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk=clutch, it didn't start well, it ended well though, terry injury