Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #81
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
It wasn't a miscommunication, it was poor reading comprehension on your part. As you noted, Barea didn't shoot any free throws. He didn't pick up any shooting fouls on the opposition. He did, however, draw an important offensive foul in the late stages. It was clear to everyone who watched the game what pepe meant. Except for you. And based on what you noted, you should have known better!

I don't know how anyone could communicate this any more clearly to you. If you will take your JJB rubber off, perhaps this wouldn't be such a problem.
Here's a tip in life friendo, just because you throw around words like "everyone" and "obviously", doesn't make it true. It was clear to everyone? Really? Did you pull a survey on that one? Moreover, he said "foulS". He drew ONE offensive foul. Anyway, I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. I know people like you, they simply have trouble grasping reality. Whatever goes on in their disilusioned head is simply immutable.

Anyway, nice quote from Bonner:

“I hoped he was having an off night,” said Matt Bonner(notes), one of several Spurs who tried to guard Nowitzki. “I can play perfect defense and jump as high as I can and he can still score.”

Last edited by CadBane; 11-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #82
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Here's a tip in life friendo, just because you throw around words like "everyone" and "obviously", doesn't make it true. It was clear to everyone? Really? Did you pull a survey on that one? Moreover, he said "foulS". He drew ONE offensive foul. Anyway, I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. I know people like you, they simply have trouble grasping reality. Whatever goes on in their disilusioned head is simply immutable.
Thanks for the discussion. When we do it again, remember to wear nice shorts.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #83
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

"A game what it was" - basketball yoda says.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #84
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Great win. We ripped off their heads and sh*t down their necks.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #85
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

you can draw a charge (an offensive foul) and you can draw a foul on the defense, either shooting or not. Let's keep in simple. Barea did a good job in making the other team foul him. He drew a big offensive foul on Mason near the end of the 3rd and another one on Hill in overtime that were very big defensive plays. For the record I think that makes more than one.

Kidd's rip from Finley was huge too, and I think the most important one was Terry's steal from Jefferson with 2 mins left to give us a 2 point lead.

These postgames and GDTs have been pretty feisty lately.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 11-19-2009 at 02:50 AM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #86
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
Twitter has "trends" which basically tells the members which topic/person/event is being discussed the most by the members. Right now, he is on the list because everyone is talking about how great Dirk was and his 41 points.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #87
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasMaveri...-ot-hero-again

great wrapup by Tim McMahon and video from the ESPN announcers for this game, all about the Uberman.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #88
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back to Austin about an hour ago. I don't go to many Mavs games, but they are now 7-0 when I attend. Dirk has scored 34.4 ppg on 51% shooting (68% on threes) in those games. He never ceases to amaze me.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #89
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to take 3 hours of sleep before the game and didnt wake up with the alarm

2nd OT win in a row, my GDT streak rules
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I completely agree with this. He is a solid to good back up pg.

Lets also remember the situation tonight, with Howard, Marion, and Damp out...Carlisle had to dig deep. And say what you will about the tiny 3 guard line (I can't stand it on principle), it had brought some big buckets this season thus far.
This is correct..the problem is that he's getting overexposed at times because of injuries. He's playing more minutes that I'm sure Carlisle would prefer..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #91
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So how many PG's in the NBA can guard Richard Jefferson for a large chunk of a game and come out ahead? Little things like this are the truly underrated aspects to Kidd's game. Him being able to guard a player as big and as talented as Jefferson makes life so much easier for Carlisle when he's having to play mix master with a short roster. I absolutely loved watching that match up when it happened.

You have to love what Drew Gooden has been bringing these last three games. He's been full of energy, scrapping hard down low and playing clean, efficient offense (mostly). When you bring Humphries off the bench to replace him you have two guys who are ready to mix it up at the drop of a hat and putting out great effort down low.

Dirk..I mean what can you say. He's put together a fantastic season thus far. And you know what's scary? He's actually shooting rather poorly (for him). Imagine what happens when he brings that shooting percentage up a bit. Beyond that, he's blocking and stealing more than ever, he's turning it over less than ever, and he's obviously making huge buckets down the stretch of every game. What a privilege to watch this guy do his thing for all these years. Seeing his renewed energy and ability on defense is just the icing on the cake at this point.

I get all tingly when I think about what this team will be capable of when (if?) it ever gets completely healthy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #92
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So how many PG's in the NBA can guard Richard Jefferson for a large chunk of a game and come out ahead? Little things like this are the truly underrated aspects to Kidd's game. Him being able to guard a player as big and as talented as Jefferson makes life so much easier for Carlisle when he's having to play mix master with a short roster. I absolutely loved watching that match up when it happened.
Remembers me when he took in the last RS game against the Rockets Ron Artest out of the game and Artest is even more strong than RJ.

Saw the recap, Mavs should have played hack-a-duncan on the last 2 possessions at the end of the 4th. But guess they were too scared after Gooden fouled...or getting the and1
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #93
cchriswake
Banned

cchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
I forgot the game was on ESPN. What were the announcers saying of Dirks performance?
The first time I've agreed on a 100% with Mark Jackson's words... man usually I'm miffed because the Mavs never really get the national love when they play teams on ESPN, ABC, or TNT. But Mark Jackson was kissing Dirk's ass all night, especially in the 4th/OT practically begging Rick Carlisle to let Dirk take over.. which he did
cchriswake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #94
cchriswake
Banned

cchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Dirk can guard Duncan a bit.. Duncan could never guard Dirk at any point in his career.. well, maybe Dirk's rookie year. Also, Dirk was always better at guarding KG than KG was at guarding Dirk. I suppose that's an unfair comparison considering how much better of an offensive player Dirk is than KG has ever been at any point in his career.
Totally agree with you... and people seem to forget how Dirk abused Garnett in the 02 playoffs when Dirk constantly frustrated KG with his quick shots and moves tot he basket.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #95
cchriswake
Banned

Quote:
You didn't extol JJB. Negative rep. And your license to watch basketball has been revoked.
Learn the game of basketball first kid before you "revoke" anyone's license to watch basketball.

Quote:
Lmao, when you draw a foul you don't shoot ft's? I hope this is just a language barrier. You know what a shooting foul is right? I don't recall JJB racking up copious personal fouls on anyone...
He was talking about drawing an OFFENSIVE FOUL, JUST LIKE YOU HAD IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST. Wow, and I thought all the idiots went to spurstalk.com or clutchfans.bbs apparently they forgot one moron in... you
Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #96
cchriswake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
did anyone else notice him absolutely butcher Roddy's name? Pretty funny.
lol "rodrigue bro-bro"
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #97
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

A magnificent performance by Dirk last night. While watching I couldn't help but think to myself "This is it, we are witnessing the prime of the best player to ever wear a Mavericks jersey, not to mention one of the best power forwards of all time." He really just has everything rolling, and I can't even put words on how impressed I was with his defense on Duncan. What a beast.

Sidenotes: Gooden was awesome. He has a mean tenacity about him that I really like on this club. He put in a very good performance. Terry had a solid performance as well. That high pick and roll with Dirk is unstoppable. Robo looked great in the minutes that he did get. Hill couldn't get anywhere against him and Robo was driving and dishing like crazy. I think he needs to look to score more on his drives, though. Once he establishes a reputation we should begin to see defenses collapse more on his drives which will open up more opportunities for assists. From what I saw of TT last night, I think he's going to be a nice piece to the puzzle.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-19-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #98
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I wanted to take 3 hours of sleep before the game and didnt wake up with the alarm
Same here either. I got up at 6AM and i´m on duty since then. What a crap.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 11-19-2009 at 10:21 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #99
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Terry had a key steal on Jefferson in the game that's getting overlooked.....Terry stole the ball from Jefferson when it looked like the Spurs where going to take the lead but didn't, Gooden is stright ballin right now and I love the way him and Hump didn't back down in the paint, I know people are a little disappointed with Ross but wait untill the Mavs play the Nuggets....Ross is gonna be the one guarding J.R. Smith this time not little JJ and Ross is a great defender.I really like what I'm seeing from this team so far and what makes it even better is that the Mavs are not even 100% healthy yet and the team is still wining.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #100
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
You have to love what Drew Gooden has been bringing these last three games. He's been full of energy, scrapping hard down low and playing clean, efficient offense (mostly).
I don't think this can be emphasized enough. Yes, Dirk is a man-beast. But other than Dirk, Gooden was the best player the Mavs put on the floor. He was awesome on both ends of the floor. Not only was he scoring easily on Duncan, but he defended Duncan really well. I didn't think he was capable of games like this -- much less against Timmy. If Gooden can perform anywhere near the level he has the last several games on a regular basis, then the Mavs are scary good.

When was the last time the Mavs had someone big who could score down low regularly?

I'm excited. Go Mavs.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #101
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Btw Mcdyess is so bad. I didn't think he was a great acquisition anyway, but boy he has just lost it. The Spurs are pretty screwed in the big man department outside of Duncan. And with Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan unable to stay healthy (we're 12 games into the season and they are already like this?).

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #102
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Traveling this week...along the West...made it to the hotel around 9...flipped the channels, and there you go Mavs/Spurs with 6:00 minutes to go in the 4th qtr.

What a way to end a good but long day!!!

Great start for this team, now RC needs to manage the minutes and health of each player. They need to be as close to 100% healthy as possible, collectively come playoff time.

The continues to be a fun ride!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #103
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Btw Mcdyess is so bad. I didn't think he was a great acquisition anyway, but boy he has just lost it. The Spurs are pretty screwed in the big man department outside of Duncan. And with Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan unable to stay healthy (we're 12 games into the season and they are already like this?).

Whoa now. He was knocking down those midrange shots and he was the best option at guarding Dirk. He had a nice block on Dirk late in the game too and he usually plays him well. He serves a purpose there especially when they are a healthy team.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #104
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Whoa now. He was knocking down those midrange shots and he was the best option at guarding Dirk. He had a nice block on Dirk late in the game too and he usually plays him well. He serves a purpose there especially when they are a healthy team.
Exactly. McDyess was brought in to play defense on quick centers and power forwards. He's perfect for that role.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #105
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I feel like you think offensive is the only aspect to basketball. Your view of Damp vs Gooden and the statement above certainly seem to support that idea.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #106
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
He had a big fat -12. That block on Dirk was a decent play, but I thought Dirk killed him otherwise. I actually thought Bonner did ok on Dirk for parts of the game.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #107
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I feel like you think offensive is the only aspect to basketball. Your view of Damp vs Gooden and the statement above certainly seem to support that idea.
Um no. My view on Damp vs Gooden has nothing to do with that so I really have no idea what you are talking about. lol, are you going to be on my ass on every one of my posts now?

I don't really know where you come up with the opinion that all I care about is offense. My dislike of Mcdyess last night didn't have much to do with his offensive game.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-19-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm not being an ass. It was an observation. I'm not sure how anyone could have watched the game last night and come away thinking McDyess was terrible. He was easily the best defender Dirk faced last night.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #109
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well...I was at the game and his +/- is what I got. I guess all I can say is with my eyes and from where I was sitting...he looked bad.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #110
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He had a big fat -12. That block on Dirk was a decent play, but I thought Dirk killed him otherwise. I actually thought Bonner did ok on Dirk for parts of the game.

Sometimes those +/- numbers don't mean a lot to me. I haven't looked at the numbers or anything this morning just browsing the pages here, but last night I saw McDyess was the only one who took Dirk out of his comfort zone and really got into his body defensively. Bonner got thoroughly blasted to the point where if they did a scoring Montage video it would have been all about Dirk abusing Boner. In fact I thought I saw one that espn did when Marc Jax was talking about Dirk being unstoppable. McDyess was the only one that I was really worried may slow Dirk down or frustrate him by making him take it to the hole.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-19-2009 at 11:53 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #111
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Love Kelly Dwyer's breakdown:

Quote:
To me, the strangest part about Dirk Nowitzki's(notes) night is that he could have had so, so much more.

I counted at least eight or nine open-ish, makeable shots for Dirk. Very makeable looks that could have, honestly, seen him toward 60 points in this win. He dropped 41, but I walked away from this game thinking about all the clean looks that spun out or just missed. This is how good his game is, right now.

41 points on 29 shots for Dirk in the win, with 12 rebounds. He didn't turn the ball over once, in 45 minutes. Not once.

That is so, so impressive. This isn't Ray Allen(notes), peeling off a screen to touch the rock for scant seconds before firing. Dirk's dribbling into traffic, through help, turning blindly over his other shoulder. He had the ball in his hands, constantly, and didn't turn it over. Once. Dirk is a marvel, and I'm glad he's still with us, at this level of potency, in November of 2009.

Should San Antonio have doubled Dirk, earlier? Sure. It would have limited Nowitzki's looks and scores in the third and fourth quarter. But it also would have given an immediate bent to Dallas' eventual adjustments, adjustments you don't want to be having to adjust to with a few minutes left in the game. You want those last minutes to be pre-adjustments, with you finally springing the trap and watching as J.J. Barea and Jason Kidd(notes) clang open jumpers.

And, really, it wasn't about Nowitzki. The man's a giant, but it wasn't about him.

It was about the turnovers. The ones the Spurs couldn't create (Dallas finished with five in a 53-minute game, glorious), and the ones the Spurs gave up (on 19 percent of their possessions, nearly four times the rate of the Mavericks). Toss in 17 offensive rebounds for the Mavericks, and you have a Dallas team that put up 22 more shots than the Spurs.

Think about that. This game went into overtime. Limit just a few of those miscues, watch that glass with a steelier gaze, and you could have this one. In Dallas. 22 extra shots.

Otherwise, impressive performance from San Antonio. No Tony Parker(notes), Manu Ginobili(notes) was out for most of the game, and they still made something out of it. 22 points, 14 rebounds, six assists and four blocks for Tim Duncan(notes). Great defense on Dirk down the stretch from Antonio McDyess(notes). Fine play in spurts from George Hill(notes).

Respect.

And turnovers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #112
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You have to be really careful citing +/- from individual games. Really, non-adjusted +/- over any timespan has be taken with large grains of salt.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #113
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
You have to be really careful citing +/- from individual games. Really, non-adjusted +/- over any timespan has be taken with large grains of salt.
I recorded most the game so I'll go back and re-watch it. Maybe it shows up more on tv.

I guess I have high expectations of these Spurs since everyone picked SA to be so great this season. I just haven't really been impressed by any player on that team.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #114
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

AP article opens:

Quote:
DALLAS (AP) -- Dirk Nowitzki scored 11 of his season-high 41 points in overtime and the short-handed Dallas Mavericks held on to beat the injury-depleted San Antonio Spurs 99-94 on Wednesday night.
I really shouldn't be surprised by now, but I still find myself astounded. Nevermind the fact that the Mavs were missing THREE STARTERS, just try to play it off as the Spurs losing because they were missing Parker and Ginobili got injured...
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #115
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

GREAT WIN!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #116
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

it's easy to forget but the Spurs weren't even close to full strength last night.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #117
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
it's easy to forget but the Spurs weren't even close to full strength last night.
And we were? Wth?

We were missing more starters than them.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #118
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
AP article opens:
Dirk Nowitzki scored 11 of his season-high 41 points in overtime and the short-handed Dallas Mavericks held on to beat the injury-depleted San Antonio Spurs 99-94 on Wednesday night.
don't be paranoid. The headline is about Dirk's 41 points. They go on to detail the accomplishments of 3 Dallas players and the Dallas injuries before SA's.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #119
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh yeah, well your cat isn't even close to full strength
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #120
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I honestly thought we were going to get destroyed by Jefferson without both Howard and Marion in the lineup.

As for Parker, we're going to need to figure out what to do with that. Is the rook going to be even close to ready to cover him should we meet in the playoffs?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!