Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #201
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

I am listening to avril lavigne and nelly along with ja rule.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #202
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nelly, Ben Lee, No Doubt and some compilation cd's I burned.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #203
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

<< Thought I´d bump this classic.

I´m listening to the Pulp LP´s &quot;Different Class&quot; and &quot;This is hardcore&quot; right now. I really like Jarvis and the boys. Too bad they´ll probably split.

On another note I´m going to be at the Supergrass concert in K&ouml;ln sometime in march. It´s a good six weeks away and I´m allready excited [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Oh Veruca, sorry I didn´t see your post back in december [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. The Libertines were GREAT. Really. The small club was totally packed and people just went nuts. The album is a classic isn´t it?
>>

NOOOO! Fidel! You're not allowed to like Pulp! eww.
Jarvis is...the devil! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I still adore the Libertines album, although I left it at a friends house on NYE, so i've been missing it.
I've been listening to a lot of Ride lately, getting back to my roots and all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Cooper Temple Clause is in my CD player too.
But i'm going through one of those bad periods where I just become obsessed with a song...and
I listen to it ad nauseam... The Buzzcocks - Every Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've?)

OH...and Sparta.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #204
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< Nelly, Ben Lee, No Doubt and some compilation cd's I burned. >>

Ben Lee..wow, people know who he is over there, or is it just you?

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #205
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, and Live
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:53 PM   #206
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< NOOOO! Fidel! You're not allowed to like Pulp! eww.
Jarvis is...the devil!
>>

Veruca why don´t you like em? Seriously, did I miss anything? They aren´t among my favorite bands but I allways thought that they had great lyrics and some decent songs. They are also a very good live band.

Speaking of different tastes though, I saw the Cooper Temple Clause last summer and they bored me to death. I didn´t like the music and they acted like complete dorks on stage (probably I was still under the impression of that fantastic Supergrass set though, who played on the same festival just the day before [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

That Buzzocks song is great though. And I really know what you mean with that one track period. I had it with &quot;Vertigo&quot; of the Libertines, &quot;No one knows&quot; of the Queens of the Stoneage and &quot;For your Love&quot; of the Yardbirds most recently. &quot;F&uuml;r Elise&quot; from Beethoven was also a regular. Probably one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #207
veruca salt
Platinum Member

For Your Love...what a GREAT track!

Pulp, well i don't even know where it started. I think i just saw a picture
of Jarvis Cocker when i was about 12 and decided that he really bugged me.
The I heard their music...I guess i just nevere got it. All my friends love them.
I guess most Indie kids do, I never saw them live though.

CTC on the other hand, i saw live, and i thought they were absolute rubbish, I hated
them until i heard the album. Who Needs Enemies is fantastic...plus they have awesome
hair [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #208
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< Ben Lee..wow, people know who he is over there, or is it just you? >>

He's actually got a pretty hard-core following over here. I've been to see him in San Francisco and LA. His shows have always been sell outs.

I have a couple friends in New York that have gone to his shows there and he's always had awesome receptions.

I'm hoping he comes around here again, I missed him when he was opening for Vanessa Carlton. I just wanted to see him though.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:43 PM   #209
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< For Your Love...what a GREAT track! >>

Yeah some of the old ones are just too good. Another classic that I absolutely love is &quot;Angie&quot; from the Rolling Stones. I´m listening to it right now.

As for the CTC. I just downloaded some songs, and they aren´t doing it for me. Have you heard that new Ash song tough? I forgot the name [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], but it´s great (I think it´s on their new compilation).
Old 02-10-2003, 11:56 PM   #210
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Rolling Stones or The Beatles?
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #211
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Ben Lee.
1200 Techniques
The Datsuns
Jurassic 5
Black eyed peas
David Holmes

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #212
veruca salt
Platinum Member

OHHH How is the David Holmes album? I have the last one, and i liked it.
My friend is meant to be getting me a copy of the new one, but basically he's
a slacker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Datsuns, yes. Jurassic 5, yes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-11-2003, 12:17 AM   #213
turbo.mav

in my cd player right now
Deep Dish
And you will know us by the Trail of Dead(who's show i just saw and it was brilliant)
The Doves
Mouse on Mars
Cam'ron
Common
50 cent
Way out West
Manu Chao

Old 02-11-2003, 12:20 AM   #214
Fidel
Diamond Member

OzMavs,
The Datsuns are pretty cool, I also have an old LP of the Black Eyed Peas that I really liked. And if that is a new David Holmes album I´d like to know about it.

And turbo.mav,
Stones of course.
Manu Chao and The Doves are good choices. And Common is that Common Sense? I realy liked that guy a few years ago.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:24 AM   #215
turbo.mav

man, what was the black eyed peas song... all I can remember is the breakdancing the guys did in the video.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #216
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Does the CD cleaner count?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #217
TexRich23

TexRich23 is on a distinguished road

Nelly actually
Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #218
turbo.mav

Yeah same guy Fidel.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #219
BrianJ

The Stones are great but thats pretty much all I got on my computer so I am a little burned out.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #220
turbo.mav

How could I forget. Bubb Rubb and Lil' Sis - Woo Wooo
I actually have it in my cd player =D

The whistles go
Old 02-11-2003, 12:52 AM   #221
MavsFanFinley
Guru

How could I forget David Gray and Sheryl Crow? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 AM   #222
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Today:
The new Peter Gabriel
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Bob Marley - Live at the Lyceum
The Kildares - The Kildares
Micky Hart - Planet Drum

Lately:
Nora Jones
Caesaria Evoria
King Suny Ade
Cassandra Wilson
Irakere
Paquito d' Rivera/Arturo Sandoval
Weather Report
Dizzy Gillespie
Chano Pozo
Nina Simone
Maylee Thomas (A Dallas local)
Nelly
No Doubt
The Used (My son's)
More Miles Davis
Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 AM   #223
BrianJ

Have not even heard about half the groups u are all mentioning especially turbo and OP. I am totally behind the times.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:58 AM   #224
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I am listening to this one. It has a lot of older favourites, but is a good mix. Actually, I haven't taken it out of my car for the past six months.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #225
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

bright eyes-- &quot;lifted...&quot;
pixies-- surfer rosa
sleater-kinney-- dig me out
roots-- phrenology
the streets-- original pirate material
verbena-- into the pink
portishead-- portishead

who are the libertines? any good? i'm desperately in search of new music... though the new massive attack is out today and will be purchased as soon as i can get out of here.

and big thanks to whomever mentioned the buzzcocks' &quot;ever fallen in love...&quot;. i'd forgotten how much i like that song; i'm going to go download it now. yay.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #226
turbo.mav

S &amp; D, im picking up the new massive attack today as well. I'm trying not to get my expectations too high. On an unrelated note, I got the new Underworld CD a few days ago with low expectations and after first listen I have to say I was underwhelmed. But now I can't get the songs out of my head and I love em.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:15 PM   #227
Fidel
Diamond Member

<< who are the libertines? any good? i'm desperately in search of new music... though the new massive attack is out today and will be purchased as soon as i can get out of here. >>

Sturm, The Libertines are are great. You should also listen into a Supergrass LP, they are probably my favorites. In general you can try anything Veruca mentioned in this thread, she´s got a very good taste.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #228
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Will definitely check out the Libertines, then, as well. I'd heard the new Supergrass was good, and was thinking of giving it a try. I still love &quot;I should coco&quot;-- &quot;Caught by the fuzz&quot; still gets me-- but haven't really followed what they've done since.

Picked up Massive Attack at lunch, turbo.mav, and it sounds totally 6 years ago-- that is, it sounds like the seamless, timeless continuation of &quot;Protection&quot;. Have only listened once through, but was most amazed by the similarity to their previous work. I guess this is a good thing, since I loved &quot;Protection&quot; but I think I was expecting it to be a bit more &quot;evolved&quot;...

Old 02-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #229
veruca salt
Platinum Member

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the only Sleater Kinney fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I adore the, actually I'm going to put the Hot Rock on now.

So yeah, I'm listening to the Hot Rock.
(with Ever Fallen In Love... between every song [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #230
turbo.mav

sturm... well hm, I cant help but compare it to Mezzanine(which I thought was a great album) and when doing so... I'm pretty dissapointed. Somethings missing in this album. Its kindof weak. I don't think Sinead O'Connors voice goes well with Massive either.
Oh well thank goodness for gift certificates.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 PM   #231
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

tupac Makeveli's Better Dayz. . . . he is still breathin.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #232
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Hey Turbo, do you like/have you heard Sparta?

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #233
sturm und drang
Golden Member

Sleater-Kinney is the greatest band ever. Dig Me Out is my all-time fave, with Call the Doctor a close second. Are they big at all in Australia? They're pretty much relegated to &quot;critics' darlings&quot; status here... which means that I can still see them in small venues when they tour, so I'm okay with that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ooooh, I do hope they come play 'round your parts; they're such a blast live.

And I agree, turbo.mav, that the Sinead + Massive collaboration isn't working for me like I thought it would. I have to admit that I love old Sinead-- her first album, The Lion and the Cobra, is on my all-time top 10 list-- and so was thrilled to hear that she would be on this album. I'm still hoping it grows on me... otherwise, it's been months of anticipation for naught! (And I do so hate that.)

Another good album recently is Interpol's &quot;Turn on the Bright Lights&quot;... they're getting a bit hyped, which makes me squeamish, but the album is a good Joy Division-esque mopefest.

What's up with Sparta? I'll have to look them up, too.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:49 PM   #234
turbo.mav

Have I ever Veruca.... Air gets played alot here in Austin. I'm not that big of a fan but I do like some of the melodies. I'm partial to classic punk(Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones, Wire, NYDolls, etc)

Sturm-- I freaking love The Lion and the Cobra. Troy is a vocal masterpiece. I dont know if you would enjoy any remix's but if you like that song as much as I do-- you might want to check these out: Troy(Oakenfold@Creamfield dub) or Way out West's remix. I doubt you can buy these anywhere so you might have to look around on some p2p programs.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:53 PM   #235
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Have you heard of At The Drive In? Well Sparta are half of the remains of ATDI.

I LOVE the Interpol album.

The Hot Rock is my all time fave Sleater Kinney album, though they're all fantastic. I just think
that Burn Don't Freeze wins it for me, such a cool track.
You know they actually came here a couple months ago, BUT i already had tickets to got
see another band (The D4)..which was annoying, well not really, the D4 ruled, but still...
Oh and no, Sleater Kinney aren't very big here at all, they played a rather small venue, they don't really get any radio play or anything.

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-11-2003, 04:55 PM   #236
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< Have I ever Veruca.... Air gets played alot here in Austin. I'm not that big of a fan but I do like some of the melodies. I'm partial to classic punk(Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones, Wire, NYDolls, etc)
>>

YAY! NYDolls! YAY! Ramones! YAY! Clash!
Hey seeing as you like Wire, have you ever heard Elastica? You'd probably like
them too...well they ripped Wire off..more than once [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Oh what about Television &amp; The Stooges?

Smile like you mean it
Old 02-11-2003, 05:10 PM   #237
TexRich23

TexRich23 is on a distinguished road

Just put in some Beastie Boys.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #238
sturm und drang
Golden Member

The Lion and the Cobra is simply an exquisite album. (I'm going to have to put it in for the drive home now that we're talking about it.) I'd have to say that Troy and Jerusalem are my favorites... though I really like Drink Before the War as well. I'll have to check out those remixes-- I bet I can find them on limewire. Thanks for the tip. Have you heard of Lamb, by the way? If you like Massive Attack and/or Portishead, you will really like them too. Good stuff.

I'm sorry you missed S-K, Veruca. I actually ditched about a week and a half of my senior year in college to basically follow them on their &quot;Dig Me Out&quot; tour down the East Coast... ahh, those hedonistic days before responsibility and the oncoming plight of adulthood. Sigh. Do you like Helium at all? If you haven't heard them, you should check out the &quot;Dirt of Luck&quot;.

If we're going to talk old-school punk, I just have to throw X out there. I love X. &quot;Sex and Dying in High Society&quot; has got to be one of the greatest duets ever.

I'm listening to Interpol right now and wishing I had on black.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #239
turbo.mav

hahah I have definitely heard my fair share of Elastica... do you like the Stranglers? They've got a really good sound, something about it. Also, doubt you have... but... my best friends brothers were in Tripping Daisy...did they make much of a splash in Australia? They disbanded and became UFOFU, disbanded again, and formed The Secret Machines(who opened for the Trail of Dead in Austin a few weeks ago). I got to hang out with Conrad and the crew afterward. If my friend ever actually plugs his camera into his computer I'll show you some cool photos.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #240
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I'll check out Hellium, S &amp; D, i trust your judgement.

Turbo, I actually own &quot;I'm An Elastic Firecracker&quot; I loved that album, althought
I've not listened to it for a few years now.
The Stranglers are great too.

Have either of you read a book called &quot;Please Kill Me&quot;? I'd
definitely recommend it to you. You can read like the 1st 8 or
so pages here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...312182-5510407

Smile like you mean it

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here