Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 02-14-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default Who is notified when click the "report post to moderator' thing?

I have sent a few of these off... the most recent was when someone called someone else a moron in their post... the post is still there.. it was never edited.

Where do these messages go?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Who is notified when someone clicks the "report post to moderator' thing and sends a message off?

Not all posts are edited - only those we deem inappropriate and offensive. It's not our fault if some members have thinner skins than others.

Also, the Report to Mod function is constantly being abused, with some of the most ridiculous and silly complaints..so if that continues I'll probably disable it. If you have a problem with a post or member, pm a mod. That would be the quickest way to get it taken care of.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Default RE:Who is notified when someone clicks the "report post to moderator' thing and sends a message off?

I just hear all kinds of conflicting rules... LRB said that name-calling was an automatic reprimand... yet some people get away with this kind of behavior. In the post I relayed someone called someone else a moron and the post is still there. I had one of my post edited and was given a warning one time when I said KG was acting like a baby.

KG just recently edited my post because in his opinion I was "implying" that another member was racist... when I said nothing remotely like that. It just seems like there is a one-way policy here... if you are a regular you can get away with all kinds of abusive behavior... yet if you are new you have almost no rights... you can't even defend yourself. At least that has been my expoerience.

IMO KG is specifically to blame for this type of behavior. He allows his friends or "regulars" to be incredibly abusive and will never edit their posts... yet if I respond I am edited or given a warning...or if I do something he deems even remotely abusive... even if it isn't.

I am not thin skinned... but it should at least be consistent. It should at least be a two-way street.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 02-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way you can have rules set in stone. If users were given strikes every time they used the word "idiot" or "moron" then half the site would be banned. Everything is examined on a case-by-case basis. Also, you can't blame kg because he consults with the other mods before taking action. Whatever the case, the mods aren't here to babysit, so if they think some complaints are just plain dumb, they'll simply ignore them.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

That is precisley my point though. It isn't even-handed. If one of the parties involved is someone that KG knows and is a regular he allows them to get away with all kinds of stuff. Yet if a new person says something... they are edited and reprimanded.

There is a tremendous amount of favoritism.

I guess I have made my point. You are the owner of the site... I am sure you are aware of what goes on here. Now I know where you stand. I guess my only choice is to deal with it or leave. That is fair enough I guess.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I have sent a few of these off... the most recent was when someone called someone else a moron in their post... the post is still there.. it was never edited.

Where do these messages go?
You asked me this same exact question by PM, and I responded 20 minutes before you made this post. I guess you didn't believe me.

Quote:
I just hear all kinds of conflicting rules... LRB said that name-calling was an automatic reprimand... yet so me people get away with this kind of behavior. In the post I relayed someone called someone else a moron and the post is still there. I had one of my post edited and was given a warning one time when I said KG was acting like a baby.
I have edited your posts, but I've never said that you were "acting like a baby".

Quote:
KG just recently edited my post because in his opinion I was "implying" that another member was racist... when I said nothing remotely like that.
ReDirk, you seem to read whatever you want. I told you that I edited your posts and MavsKiki's posts because the two of you were going at it. Your post started it off and was clearly meant to provoke Kiki to respond. Unfortunately, he did. That's why you both got equal treatment.

Quote:
It just seems like there is a one-way policy here... if you are a regular you can get away with all kinds of abusive behavior... yet if you are new you have almost no rights... you can't even defend yourself. At least that has been my expoerience.
It's my experience that you're a troublemaker who doesn't listen. If you want to change that perception, then stop whining. You're treated more than fairly here.

Quote:
IMO KG is specifically to blame for this type of behavior. He allows his friends or "regulars" to be incredibly abusive and will never edit their posts... yet if I respond I am edited or given a warning...or if I do something he deems even remotely abusive... even if it isn't.
MavsKiki is a "regular"; I edited his post right along with yours. I've edited the posts of and levied punishments to many regulars as well as new people.

You've posted here over 1700 times, and I've only edited a few of your posts. Your suggestion that I'm picking on you is humorous.

What's even more humorous is your suggestion that I'm somehow responsible for favoritism and special treatment on this site. There are currently 7 active moderators; I guess the other 6 are out to get you, too.

Or, perhaps you're just a troublemaker.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

KG... you are one of the most "troll" like moderators I have ever seen on any messageboard. And you are incredibly biased in your dealings with posters here.

You will let regulars get away with incredibly abusive posts... but if I or other new posters respond to these regulars/trolls in the same way you will then edit my/ or other new members posts. OR in this most recent case... because a regular whined to you claiming that my post was abusive then you edited both of our posts. Yet If I "whine" about a regualr saying something offensive to me... or starting a fight I get no response... you won't edit their post. Why is that?

As a moderator you set a horrible example for posters on this site. You are totally biased and your bahavior is abusive and childish and you abuse what little power you have here.

I just wanted to make sure that my messages were getting through to someone other than you on here and while DJ was here I wanted to let him know what I thought of how you are doing as a moderator.

You claim I am a troublemaker... how am I a trouble maker? I criticized Finely for a very short period of time when he choked... I was treated like a troll for this... by you as a matter of fact... the other thing I do is defend Don Nelson... imagine that... defending Don nelson on a Mavs fan messageboard. Oh yea... I also defended the team when everyone said Nellie should be fired... not long before we had our recent winning streak.

Other than that how am I a trouble maker?

BTW... where is Erica Lubarsky... havn't seen her around lately... was she a trouble maker? I heard she was run out of here. Was that because she was a trouble maker?

Old 02-15-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Who is notified when someone clicks the "report post to moderator' thing and sends a message off?

Quote:
BTW... where is Erica Lubarsky... havn't seen her around lately... was she a trouble maker? I heard she was run out of here. Was that because she was a trouble maker?
I've exchanged a couple pm's with her and it's my understanding that she'll take a week or so off before returning. She wasn't banned, or ran off even though one poster wishes it.

Not everyone is going to be happy with our decisions, but I've yet to see one mod go off on their own and warn or ban another poster without discussing it with others. Unless it was an obvious troll like "raindog." Editing posts is a judgment call and I've yet to see it abused.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KG... you are one of the most "troll" like moderators I have ever seen on any messageboard. And you are incredibly biased in your dealings with posters here.
You don't even understand what the term "troll" means. If you did, you'd realize how silly your attempted insult sounds.

Quote:
You will let regulars get away with incredibly abusive posts...
While this is an incredibly vague accusation, you seem to have trouble grasping the concept that I'm not the only moderator on this board. If "regulars" are getting away with "incredibly abusive posts" (something I don't agree is happening), then all seven active moderators are allowing it to happen.

Quote:
but if I or other new posters respond to these regulars/trolls in the same way you will then edit my/ or other new members posts.
That's simply untrue.

Quote:
OR in this most recent case... because a regular whined to you claiming that my post was abusive then you edited both of our posts.
Again, untrue. MavsKiki and I have not even talked about those edited posts yesterday, and he never complained to me about you.

Quote:
Yet If I "whine" about a regualr saying something offensive to me... or starting a fight I get no response... you won't edit their post. Why is that?
You have not ONCE complained to me about anyone saying something offensive to you, so you really have no basis to speculate as to how I might respond.

Quote:
As a moderator you set a horrible example for posters on this site. You are totally biased and your bahavior is abusive and childish and you abuse what little power you have here.
My "bias" is a product of your active imagination. If I were being abusive and childish, I feel confident that DJ would let me know about it. So far, that hasn't happened.

Also, it's difficult to abuse power when your rarely even have to utilize it.

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure that my messages were getting through to someone other than you on here and while DJ was here I wanted to let him know what I thought of how you are doing as a moderator.
Thanks for the performance evaluation. Maybe you'll keep me from getting that big raise.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Who is notified when someone clicks the "report post to moderator' thing and sends a message off?

KG's a troll...troll smasher that is.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

ReDirk give it a rest. If you're so upset about the way this board is run, you are free not to come here. I see no factual basis for your complaints about KG. He, like the rest of us mods and DJ, tries to do the very best. None of us are perfect, but then again only a fool would expect us to be. You need to chill over this issue.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I can think of a good use for the word moron in this thread......

but I digress......[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Now, now Herr Doctor let's not be obnoxious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:40 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

You were my sun
You were my earth
But you didn't know all the ways I loved you, no
So you took a chance
And made other plans
But I bet you didn't think your thing would come crashing down, no

You don't have to say, what you did,
I already know, I found out from him
Now there's just no chance, for you and me, there'll never be
And don't it make you sad about it

You told me you loved me
Why did you leave me, all alone
Now you tell me you need me
When you call me, on the phone
Girl I refuse, you must have me confused
With some other guy
Your bridges were burned, and now it's your turn
To cry, cry me a river
Cry me a river-er
Cry me a river
Cry me a river-er, yea yea

I know that they say
That somethings are better left unsaid
It wasn't like you only talked to him and you know it
(Don't act like you don't know it)
All of these things people told me
Keep messing with my head
(Messing with my head)
You should've picked honesty
Then you may not have blown it
(Yea..)

(Don't have to say, what you did)
(I already know, uh)
(No chance, you and me)

You told me you loved me
Why did you leave me, all alone
(All alone)
Now you tell me you need me
When you call me, on the phone
(When you call me on the phone)
Girl I refuse, you must have me confused
With some other guy
(I'm not like them baby)
Your bridges were burned, and now it's your turn
(It's your turn)
To cry, cry me a river
(Go on and just)
Cry me a river-er
(Go on and just)
Cry me a river
(Baby go on and just)

Oh
(Oh)
The damage is done
So I guess I be leaving
Oh
(Oh)
The damage is done
So I guess I be leaving
Oh
(Oh)
The damage is done
So I guess I be leaving
Oh
(Oh)
The damage is done
So I guess I be... leaving

(Don't have to say, what you did)
(I already know, uh)
(No chance, you and me)

Cry me a river
(Go on and just)
Cry me a river-er
(Baby go on and just)
Cry me a river
(You can go on and just)

Cry me a river
(Baby go on and just)
Cry me a river-er
(Go on and just)
Cry me a river
(Cause I've already cried)
(Ain't gonna cry no more, yea-yea)

Cry me a river
Cry me a river, oh
Cry me a river, oh
Cry me a river, oh

Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)
Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)
Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)
Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)

Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)
Cry me a river, oh
(Cry me, cry me)
Cry me a river
(Cry me, cry me)

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #15
ProudAmerican

ProudAmerican is on a distinguished road

Erica Lubinsky had several implied insults about her gender in several different posts that she decided to leave the message board (the last time I talked to her she didn't intend to come back)

I was repremanded for calling someone out on being a bully but the people who insulted Erica acting like her opinion didn't count because she was female (making gender biased comments) seem to be able to get away with that.
According to the rules I read after your first offense you are repremanded. After your second your suspended. It didn't seem like the people insulting Erica were suspended and this wasn't the first time they did that to her.
It doesn't seem fair.

ProudAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:59 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

ProudAmerican, you're starting to remind me of someone. That's not good news for you...

Old 02-17-2004, 03:10 AM   #17
ProudAmerican

ProudAmerican is on a distinguished road

KG-Veteran.
Why should I care if I remind you are someone? That doesn't concern me.

Erica Lubinsky and I had several PM discussions before she decided to leave.
I contacted her first because I noticed the harassment she was getting and I was concerned about how she was treated. It wasn't fair.
ProudAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

ProudAmerican the reason it should concern you is that if we mods determine that you are a current or former poster now posting under a new account, then you will no longer be allowed to post under either account. This is a very strict part of the regulations of this site.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #19
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ProudAmerican
KG-Veteran.
Why should I care if I remind you are someone? That doesn't concern me.

Erica Lubinsky and I had several PM discussions before she decided to leave.
I contacted her first because I noticed the harassment she was getting and I was concerned about how she was treated. It wasn't fair.
I certainly hope Erica changes her mind. I have enjoyed most of her posts and am sorry to hear that an insult would be enough to drive her away from posting on this board.

If so, Erica you will be missed.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote