Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-30-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but I think if the mavs sign R.Lewis, they would have three second tier stars in fin, nash and R.Lewis. Who would actually be the second option? I know that it would change from game to game but on a season as a hole would it be fin or lewis?
Well, I think it would be fin for this year but by next year, i couldn't see fin averaging more than Lewis.

Lewis would actually have a chance to become a first tier star. Now, i dont' see that happening but he would have the chance.

just interested in everyone's opinion on the offensive dynamics of the team if lewis were to become a mav
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2002, 08:56 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Im with you, FIN for most of this year, but Lewis would effentially take over. both would benefit from this senerio, Lewis could become the star he should be, and Fin would show he is this team's leader by stepping down once again for a younger, perhaps more offensive talent.

As long as it's not Nash. He can handle it on certain nights, but when they rely on him to be 2nd or even the 3rd option too much, that's when he gets worn down
Old 07-30-2002, 08:59 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

uhmm.. stepping down again? well, to be honest, dirk more or less took the scoring lead from fin on less shots.. but, that's beside the point. it's also a team of leaders and there's probably no bigger on court leader than steve nash.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Fin is the leader in the Locker room. Nash is defently the leader on the court, he's pg, he should be. What I mean by Fin stepping down is he didn't cause any trouble when Dirk, a younger, foreign player, came and took the limelight. It has to be hard to be the MAN for so many years and step aside that easily. Not many stars in the league would be that unselfish
Old 07-30-2002, 09:08 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

it makes no sense to say "fin is the leader here or nash is the leader here".
the majority of the players on this team are leaders. All of the big three are leaders on and off the court

Deal with it
Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

you know what has to be as difficult as being the man and seeing your scoring drop?
being Dirk and knowing that you could average 28 points a game rather easily but you're more than willing to accept less shots per game than what he should actually get.

that is what has to be difficult
Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

<< it makes no sense to say &quot;fin is the leader here or nash is the leader here&quot;. >>

it makes plenty of sense, since every quote I've seen from Nellie, Cube, Nash, Dirk on and on they all say Fin is the HEART of this team.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

why do they say that?
ever think about it? because they are conent with the publics perception of the situation.
dirk and fin are both fine with not having the spotlight on them

Old 07-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

<< you know what has to be as difficult as being the man and seeing your scoring drop? >>

<< being Dirk and knowing that you could average 28 points a game rather easily but you're more than willing to accept less shots per game than what he should actually get. >>

<< that is what has to be difficult >>

Thats stupid, Dirk could score 50 a night with his talent, but the Mavs wouldn't win jack. you really think it's difficult to be a team player for the bettterment of the team. One reason Dirk scores so easily is cause he has Nash and Fin to draw a little pressure off of him
Old 07-30-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

eh hem:

<< just a request. We've had a flurry of threads started that have been extremely repetitive recently especially concerning Rashard Lewis. Many threads have been started stating the exact same thing that has been said in other multiple threads. Doing this actualy reduces discussion and debating on the subject because it reduces any type of continuity that the topic may have on this site.

Please, at least read and see what has already been said. There is no reason to start a new thread that is repeating something that has been said several times in other threads.

Just a request from a humble member.
>>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 09:18 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

<< you really think it's difficult to be a team player for the bettterment of the team >>

well, you just proved my point.

finley is shooting less because the mavs are a better team with dirk scoring more and fin shooting less

thank you. I had to use a little reverse psychology but you very quickly walked right into it

fin could have insisted that he be the man..but the mavs wouldn't be nearly as good of a team.

however, dirk could score 28 rather easily and the mavs would be just as good or perhaps a better team
Old 07-30-2002, 09:21 PM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

<< why do they say that? >>

<< ever think about it? because they are conent with the publics perception of the situation >>

So be it. Perception is Reality.
Thats what makes the Mavs so great is there is no spotlight.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that the Mavs are going to be on national TV more. I hope the media machine doesn't hurt chemistry. You know the League will blow Dirk up as if he is god. I think the team can handle it though
Old 07-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< you know what has to be as difficult as being the man and seeing your scoring drop?
being Dirk and knowing that you could average 28 points a game rather easily but you're more than willing to accept less shots per game than what he should actually get.

that is what has to be difficult
>>

Boohoo lets all feel sorry for Dirk because he doesnt average 4 more points than he could lmao. J/p but anyway Finley could average more if he had the chance he averages 43 minutes a game and only puts up 20 points a game. We shuoldnt let this turn into a Dirk vs Fin matchup that everyone wants it to be we are blessed to have both on our squad. But ot answer teh main focus of this thread I dont see Rashard taking the second option role any time soon. Maybe 2-3 years if that. This is if Lewis does sign with us im not trying ot act as if he is gonna but im still praying lol. Lewis is a terrific player but I dont belive he is worth the max. FInley is gonna put up 21 points atleast next season. With that being siad od I believ Lewis can do taht? No thats why I dont believe he shouldbe given a max contract and Sonics dont either. I believe LEwis will average aroudn the 15 poitn mark if he does come to Mavs. HE is only 23 so he has alot of room to improve and could improve into a 21 point average guy or more. But by waht I saw last season I cant say he can take the role of the 2nd option. I see it as Dirk, Finley, Lewis, Nash. This should make Nash distribute the ball more but that not that much of a good thing being that Nash shoots 50% from the field.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:24 PM   #14
Just211
Platinum Member

<< however, dirk could score 28 rather easily and the mavs would be just as good or perhaps a better team >>

I agree there, he could, and they probably would, but I don't think it would take points away from FIN. It would take away from Nash, and that would be better. I love seeing Nash drive and pass, not shoot so much(although he is capable).
Old 07-30-2002, 09:38 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< however, dirk could score 28 rather easily and the mavs would be just as good or perhaps a better team >>

I agree there, he could, and they probably would, but I don't think it would take points away from FIN. It would take away from Nash, and that would be better. I love seeing Nash drive and pass, not shoot so much(although he is capable).
>>

Agreed.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:27 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

nash is just about as capable of a scorer as fin.. but, he shoots less because he's a PG.

the points would likely come from a combination of fin/nve/nash.

however, i was only using this to combat the statement about fin stepping aside to allow dirk to be the man....
Old 07-31-2002, 09:20 AM   #17
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

When I think of Lewis' role and where he falls in the pecking order, I see him taking over Nash's scoring responsibilities more than I do Finley's, which is what would be the best scenario to happen. With Lewis around, Nash could concentrate more on assists and running the offense rather than being the third scoring option. This would surely help with Nash's fatigue problem too with him taking less shots per game. I guess to answer your question, to me it's not realy an issue of who's 2 or 3 but more of can all 3 exist together. Nash, Finley, and Dirk proved last year that it could be done so the only difference I see is inserting Lewis and removing Nash from that equation. If Nash could stay around 10-12pts and 8-10ast per after adding Lewis, that would be perfect and probably keep Nash healthy.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:04 AM   #18
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I am pretty damn sure that the current Mavs and Lewis would be able to coexist just fine. The big three, this entire team in fact, is so tightly bonded that I don't think one player can come in and mess it up, on or off the court. Based on past history Van Exel was way more of a threat to do that, but he came in and was great with all the guys. He accepted a lesser role and was our biggest cheerleader, I don't see any reason why a younger, less accomplished guy like Rashard wouldn't be able to do the same. He seems like a team guy.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:08 AM   #19
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I am pretty damn sure that the current Mavs and Lewis would be able to coexist just fine. The big three, this entire team in fact, is so tightly bonded that I don't think one player can come in and mess it up, on or off the court. Based on past history Van Exel was way more of a threat to do that, but he came in and was great with all the guys. He accepted a lesser role and was our biggest cheerleader, I don't see any reason why a younger, less accomplished guy like Rashard wouldn't be able to do the same. He seems like a team guy.

As to the question posed in the thread, I agree with those who say Fin will prob still be number 2 next season, but Lewis if he is really a Mav for the next ten years will step into that role in a season or two.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote