Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: Mavs tried to give it away, but it was the Cavs

6-5

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Dahntay Jones on Irving was a difference maker!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
QSA

QSA will become famous soon enough

I wish OJ could learn from Dahntay defensively, but I think defense is one of those things you either have or you don't.
QSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Props to Dojo, he's always showing signs of becoming a solid player, just keep working hard Dojo.

Last edited by LSMF; 11-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

14-6 run by Dallas after the MindF where Carlisle was ready to choke someone.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

So I missed the game. Did Roddy and Brand fall out of Rick's good graces or did someone get injured?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a lot tonight from Mayo, Kaman, DahJo and Collison that will look great once Dirk comes back (as long as the four of them don't combine for 10 of 20 turnovers again...)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-17-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

Like Dirk said via twitter, DOJ was the MVP tonight
Dale4Saul2Red0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

He was in the first half. DAJO was the instrumental hero in the second half.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
So I missed the game. Did Roddy and Brand fall out of Rick's good graces or did someone get injured?
There's no room for Roddy at SG and DoJo is playing better at PG... Brand got 4 rebounds and 2 blocks in 11 minutes, but started out shooting poorly (0-2) so Carlisle opted to go with the hot hand - Chris Kaman (15 points on 50% shooting, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, 1 assist and 1 steal) and Bernard James (4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks)... Wow, I just realized that we got 11 blocks out of our centers tonight!! (14 total)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-17-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Unless Brand snaps out of this offensive funk, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather see Sarge at the back up Center. Sarge won't take as many shots, rebounds like it is his purpose in life, plays very solid defense, and has young/ish fresh legs.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Chris Kaman (15 points on 50% shooting, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, 1 assist and 1 steal) and Bernard James (4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks)... Wow, I just realized that we got 11 blocks out of our centers tonight!! (14 total)
I'll take it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Unless Brand snaps out of this offensive funk, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather see Sarge at the back up Center. Sarge won't take as many shots, rebounds like it is his purpose in life, plays very solid defense, and has young/ish fresh legs.
Sarge looks good in limited minutes so far... I'm thinking of him in more of a Mahinmi role (two seasons ago), and I like what I see... He hasn't shown the same ceiling that Ian flashed, but his floor seems to be a lot higher - he's a consistent guy who looks like he can hang in the NBA... And Rick Carlisle seems to like him.

To be continued...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Sarge looks good in limited minutes so far... I'm thinking of him in more of a Mahinmi role (two seasons ago), and I like what I see... He hasn't shown the same ceiling that Ian flashed, but his floor seems to be a lot higher - he's a consistent guy who looks like he can hang in the NBA... And Rick Carlisle seems to like him.

To be continued...
This team has looked like a total mess for the last couple weeks, but I just keep thinking that a starting lineup of:

DC
OJ
Marion
Dirk
Kaman

could get some work done.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

random point: Murphy played 18min tonight and grabbed ZERO rebounds.

*Ugh.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
random point: Murphy played 18min tonight, connected on 50% of his three point attempts, and the Mavs outscored the Cavs by 8 points in his time on court.
Another way of looking at it.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Another way of looking at it.
Just the other half of the equation - zero rebounds is still sh!tty for a 6'11" guy who plays 18 minutes... But 3-6 from beyond the arc at least makes him valuable on one half of the court, which is better than he had been giving us... I'll take it.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just the other half of the equation - zero rebounds is still sh!tty for a 6'11" guy who plays 18 minutes... But 3-6 from beyond the arc at least makes him valuable on one half of the court, which is better than he had been giving us... I'll take it.
I'd like him to get more than that, too. But Dallas was competitive on the boards as a team tonight, Troy's rebounding has been acceptable overall for the Mavs, and I don't think his bagel tonight resulted from anything like a lack of effort, so I don't see any reason to pile on. He's already taken far more than his fare share of blame for the team's poor play of late.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 11-17-2012 at 11:36 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to grndmstr_c again.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd like him to get more than that, too. But Dallas was competitive on the boards as a team tonight, Troy's rebounding has been acceptable overall for the Mavs, and I don't think his bagel tonight resulted from anything like a lack of effort, so I don't see any reason to pile on. He's already taken far more than his fare share of blame for the team's poor play of late.
It's literally impossible to overstate how bad he's been.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
14-6 run by Dallas after the MindF where Carlisle was ready to choke someone.
BG...I wasn't able to catch the game. What made Carlisle go off.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Brian Cardinal was horrible at times as well. His deficits were less exposed. But lets give Murphy break. He is a stand-in at best, it is not his fault we have been losing. After Dirk, we have a severe drop off in talent at the forward position. That is not on Murphy, that is on the MBT.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, this thing has taken a turn for the worse, and it's hard to imagine how this ship can right itself. Who are the hot prospects in the lottery?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #24
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
To paraphrase crazyboy, you just proofed how impossible you are.

Quote:
After Dirk, we have a severe drop off in talent at the forward position. That is not on Murphy, that is on the MBT.
This team, when healthy, boasts Elton Brand and Vince Carter as their second string forwards. I really don't see the flaw in team construction. They've just been dealing with injuries to their starters, and (admittedly discouragingly) ineffective play from Elton.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
BG...I wasn't able to catch the game. What made Carlisle go off.
The Cavs made it 87-89 when Marion decided to throw the ball to Mayo at the inbound pass and he wasn't ready. Collison was right next to them, so Mayo never thought he would receive the ball. Cavs made it 89-89 out of it, RC called a timeout and was so hot, i thought he would punch or murder someone.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Brian Cardinal was horrible at times as well. His deficits were less exposed. But lets give Murphy break. He is a stand-in at best, it is not his fault we have been losing. After Dirk, we have a severe drop off in talent at the forward position. That is not on Murphy, that is on the MBT.
My problem isn't with murph, it's that we insist on playing him so much more than wright. I understand not playing wright at center. His lack of bulk and rebounding is a huge problem there but with dirk out he should be getting 30 minutes a night at pf. His rebounding isn't that terrible for a pf
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
The Cavs made it 87-89 when Marion decided to throw the ball to Mayo at the inbound pass and he wasn't ready. Collison was right next to them, so Mayo never thought he would receive the ball. Cavs made it 89-89 out of it, RC called a timeout and was so hot, i thought he would punch or murder someone.
Man...I'd like to see video of that. The best thing we have going theses days is the coach.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Man...I'd like to see video of that. The best thing we have going theses days is the coach.
I never saw such a look from him. Much "worse" than the one he had at Game 1 against the Lakers being down 16 and turning his mic off. It seemed like he wanted to say or slap something/someone and then directly went by the guys.

In the nba.com recap you saw the basket but the camera went to Irving...

Last edited by Kante; 11-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The adjustment Rick made during the second half was to give Marion more run at PF, which allowed Dhantay Jones to play and guard Irving. That, combined with Rick giving Wright a shot at PF in the first half, is what resulted in Brand getting so little floor time tonight.

Rick, at this point, appears to have completely given up on Brand as a center. I assume he plans to give it another try when Dirk is back. I'll be curious to see how that goes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
dude1394
Guru

I'm not sure I've ever seen a guys as planted as brand.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #31
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

I liked Mayo being aggressive and looking to draw fouls. We know he can shoot but if he can get to the line consistently he'll be dangerous.

I've always been impressed with DoJo's court vision and ball handling. I always thought his excellent court vision was his best trait.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Brand can't jump anymore and is too short for center. I like his defense and attitude, but the limitations are pretty obvious.

I really like what Sarge is bringing. Looks like he'll be a solid back-up in this league.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Brand can't jump anymore and is too short for center. I like his defense and attitude, but the limitations are pretty obvious.

I really like what Sarge is bringing. Looks like he'll be a solid back-up in this league.
Except that center has been Elton's better position for a while now. As far as I can tell, his problem begins and ends with the fact that his scoring efficiency has just all of a sudden taken a deep dive into the crapper.

With you on Sarge as impressing. I was expecting him to look more raw out there than he has. Meaningful postseason or playoff-positioning minutes are still a long-shot, but he's definitely looked like a guy who can soak up some non-garbage minutes in the regular season grind and give the team something when he's out there. That's a win from a rookie second-rounder.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Except that center has been Elton's better position for a while now. As far as I can tell, his problem begins and ends with the fact that his scoring efficiency has just all of a sudden taken a deep dive into the crapper.
Not only has his mid range game disappeared, but he seems to miss one or two bunnies a game. He just looks completely out of sorts out there on the offensive end.

I wonder if his game comes back once they settle down into a bit more of a half court game upon Dirk's return. Brand clearly isn't a run and gun offensive player.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #35
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

As in right now? Yes! If you're attempting a guess at what his overall potential as an NBA player is I think you're selling him way short.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

With you on Sarge as impressing. I was expecting him to look more raw out there than he has. Meaningful postseason or playoff-positioning minutes are still a long-shot, but he's definitely looked like a guy who can soak up some non-garbage minutes in the regular season grind and give the team something when he's out there. That's a win from a rookie second-rounder.
I know Brand has played center, but that was in the eastern conference and he now looks "older" for lack of a better word. His lack of offense correlates with his inability to be as effective at defense as a center. He just doesn't have his legs under him to rebound as well or hit that jump shot he usually does.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I know Brand has played center, but that was in the eastern conference and he now looks "older" for lack of a better word. His lack of offense correlates with his inability to be as effective at defense as a center. He just doesn't have his legs under him to rebound as well or hit that jump shot he usually does.
Actually, the only thing that's really dropped off is his efficiency inside 15 feet. I wouldn't have a counter to the age argument if his rebounding had dropped, but he's performing up to his usual standards there. No sign of slippage in his shot-blocking rate, either. And his productivity in both areas as of the last 82games update has been better in his limited minutes at center than in his time at PF.

At any rate, I'm in the wait until Dirk returns camp, myself. My hopes for Elton with the Mavs were always focused on his potential as a frontcourt partner for Dirk.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Actually, the only thing that's really dropped off is his efficiency inside 15 feet. I wouldn't have a counter to the age argument if his rebounding had dropped, but he's performing up to his usual standards there. No sign of slippage in his shot-blocking rate, either. And his productivity in both areas as of the last 82games update has been better in his limited minutes at center than in his time at PF.

At any rate, I'm in the wait until Dirk returns camp, myself. My hopes for Elton with the Mavs were always focused on his potential as a frontcourt partner for Dirk.
He has only grabbed more than five rebounds in one of the last five games. Maybe that is up to par with him, but I kinda expected a little more. I agree that Dirk changes things, but I'm not sold on Elton's role playing next to him. Lord only knows the exact impact Dirk will have on pretty much everyone on the team.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

Dirk makes DC look better by giving him a legit Elite scoring option to dump the ball into (AKA less needless dribbling I hope)

Dirk makes Mayo & Kaman better by immediately becoming the primary focal point of the opponent every night this opening up better shot opportunities.

Dirk makes Carlisle better bc now Rick won't feel the need to play mad scientist with his lineups.

Dirk makes everyone better one way or another.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

Dirk makes sike better, alien love is quenched.
Dirk makes the board better...watching greatness at work does that.