Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #81
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I hate parcells i will admit that. Also, obviously that was an opinion. Pretty much everything said on here besides stats are opinions. Why did i compare him to wright? Because ive heard similar expectations for both. They both have the same extremely mediocre arm strength. They are both pretty good decision makers(from what ive seen) who want screw things up but arent gonna help you any either. I guess i was wrong, i shouldnt have said that 6-10 was the max because if you had an all time great defense and a great rb you could win 10 or 11 games.(see the raves 01 or bears last year) Im just saying that he will never win you a game. Its not gonna happen. Yes its an opinion but its an opinion with a 99% chance of being right.

As for parcells when has he done such a great job of player evaluation? He has drafted like crap since he got here. Williams has turned out to be a soso pick. Rogers was a HORRIBLE pick(actually i think he screwed that one up more on coaching than drafting). JJ though i think everyone expects alot out of him hasnt exactly been a stud. The only good draft picks i can think of with him are Ware and whitten.(a GREAT pick) Not showing me a whole lot. He reminds me alot of jimmy genius in Miami. Has a great rep and everything but honestly didnt really do a great job in the new town.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I hate parcells i will admit that. Also, obviously that was an opinion. Pretty much everything said on here besides stats are opinions. Why did i compare him to wright? Because ive heard similar expectations for both. They both have the same extremely mediocre arm strength. They are both pretty good decision makers(from what ive seen) who want screw things up but arent gonna help you any either. I guess i was wrong, i shouldnt have said that 6-10 was the max because if you had an all time great defense and a great rb you could win 10 or 11 games.(see the raves 01 or bears last year) Im just saying that he will never win you a game. Its not gonna happen. Yes its an opinion but its an opinion with a 99% chance of being right.

As for parcells when has he done such a great job of player evaluation? He has drafted like crap since he got here. Williams has turned out to be a soso pick. Rogers was a HORRIBLE pick(actually i think he screwed that one up more on coaching than drafting). JJ though i think everyone expects alot out of him hasnt exactly been a stud. The only good draft picks i can think of with him are Ware and whitten.(a GREAT pick) Not showing me a whole lot. He reminds me alot of jimmy genius in Miami. Has a great rep and everything but honestly didnt really do a great job in the new town.
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on your opinion that has a 99% chance of being right, based on about 2% of the information available to the real decision makers.

On Parcells, his body of work speaks for itself. He's not just a one hit wonder like Jimmy was. Parcells is a truly great coach that has experience turning around teams and rebuilding them through the draft.

Now, does that mean he's automatically going to do that here? No. Does it mean he's perfect? Certainly not. But I do have some faith in him.

On the picks themselves, I'm not sure what Williams you're referring to, as Bill did not draft Roy Williams. Newman has certainly lived up to any and all expectations. Whitten was a great find, Canty was the steal of last year's draft, and say what you want of Pettiti, but he's doing pretty darn well for that late of a pick.

Certainly the drafting of the OLinemen has left a lot to be desired. That needs to be turned around quickly. But let's also not forget that he whipped Flozell into a quality LT when people were wondering if we should even resign him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 08-16-2006 at 11:47 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Flozell was good before bill got here. People just hate him for whatever reason. Ive made the comparison before and ill make it again. He is like damp. Everything that he does wrong(holding and penalties) is on display for everyone to see but everything he does well is harder to see though they are valuable. I forgot tnew and i will give him credit for that. Newman is better than golden boy deangelo hall imo. I thought it was big bill that drafted roy williams maybe im getting the year mixed up but i was pretty sure that was bill. I just looked it up so you are right about that. Pettiti sucks but if a 6th round pick makes your team you should be happy. I just tend to think that if he hadnt effed up in the earlier rounds than a 6th round pick wouldnt need to be starting. Canty was the steal of the draft? Hrmm i think you might want to hold off on that one they way you want me to hold off on this one.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 08-16-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #84
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Flozell was ALWAYS good. People just hate him for whatever reason. Ive made the comparison before and ill make it again. He is like damp. Everything that he does wrong(holding and penalties) is on display for everyone to see but everything he does well is harder to see though they are valuable. I forgot tnew and i will give him credit for that. Newman is better than golden boy deangelo hall imo. I thought it was big bill that drafted roy williams maybe im getting the year mixed up but i was pretty sure that was bill. I just looked it up so you are right about that. Pettiti sucks but if a 6th round pick makes your team you should be happy. I just tend to think that if he hadnt effed up in the earlier rounds than a 6th round pick wouldnt need to be starting. Canty was the steal of the draft? Hrmm i think you might want to hold off on that one they way you want me to hold off on this one.
Flozell was good, but Bill took him to another level, at least his first year here he did.

Certainly there have been misses, and the misses on the OLine are really starting to mount, that's undeniable. But I still say he's a good talent evaluator.

Canty was a fourth round pick that started the majority of the season last year and is now the unquestioned starting RDE, ahead of our first round pick, Spears. That's a steal. Might be a bit early to say steal of the draft, but it was significant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

I could also mention that if the first round pick wasnt a screw up then the 4th rd pick wouldnt be starting over him.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #86
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't Spears AND Canty going to be our starting ends? You speak like Spears and Canty are on one side of the depth chart and Ellis is still on the other. Canty was put ahead of Ellis on the depth chart and Spears will be starting this year opposite him with Ferguson in the middle and Ellis as on OLB. Both picks are starting so I don't see any screw up other than a possible injury prone lineman, (knee - back practicing though).
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #87
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Aren't Spears AND Canty going to be our starting ends? You speak like Spears and Canty are on one side of the depth chart and Ellis is still on the other. Canty was put ahead of Ellis on the depth chart and Spears will be starting this year opposite him with Ferguson in the middle and Ellis as on OLB. Both picks are starting so I don't see any screw up other than a possible injury prone lineman, (knee - back practicing though).
Spears is in a big battle with Ratliff, and there's no gurantee he starts.

Canty clearly beat both of them out, making him a steal of a fourth rounder.

And calling Spears a screwup is ridiculous. He was good last year, and he fought an injury.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

He will start.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #89
Five-ofan
Guru

I hated the spears pick at the time. He wasnt that good in college and he hasnt been that good in the limited time he has played in the pros. I wasnt saying that was my point of view i was just pointing out to jthig that if canty was starting over spears that something was screwed up there as far as evaluating.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #90
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I hated the spears pick at the time. He wasnt that good in college and he hasnt been that good in the limited time he has played in the pros. I wasnt saying that was my point of view i was just pointing out to jthig that if canty was starting over spears that something was screwed up there as far as evaluating.
Why is something screwed up under that scenario? If one player beats another out then the backup automatically sucks? I'm not following your logic. Canty was not your typical fourth rounder, and even if he was, sometimes guys just flip the switch and become better.

There's nothing that says just because a first rounder is beaten out by a fourth rounder the first rounder automatically sucks and was a bad pick.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #91
Five-ofan
Guru

if a 4th rounder is better than a first rounder than the first rounder was a mistake. A player being a mistake pick doesnt mean he sucks by any means. Chris Bosh was a mistake pick but he is one of my favorite players and a top 20 player in the nba. Carmelo Anthony was a mistake pick and he is also a star.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #92
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
if a 4th rounder is better than a first rounder than the first rounder was a mistake. A player being a mistake pick doesnt mean he sucks by any means. Chris Bosh was a mistake pick but he is one of my favorite players and a top 20 player in the nba. Carmelo Anthony was a mistake pick and he is also a star.
That's a completely illogical conclusion jump.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #93
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Brady James, a very solid 4th rounder and Patrick Crayton in the 6th round.

We're still paying for missing on Jacobs and Peterson but overall Bill has drafted well.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #94
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't forget the late-round draft choice that is presently being manned by Terry Glenn.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote