Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default More Shaq talk - a sensible T&D thread.

Ok so Fish has an article discussing Shaq's possible desire to be a Mav next season.

Quote:
This storyline is just now revving up again thanks to Shaq’s weekend on the town, during which he repeatedly told friends about the Mavs being on his wish list.
And I think it's fairly obvious Phoenix is going to try very hard to dump Shaq this offseason. They were hurting for cash and I assure you their yearly budget included at least two home playoff games which are not going to happen.

Once the offseason arrives Stack's contract becomes even more valuable than it was at the deadline. But based on several factors, I don't think I'm willing to give up Josh for Shaq any longer. And I don't think it would take that, knowing what Cleveland offered for Shaq.

So my question, would you trade Damp and Stack for Shaq during the offseason? That trade would reduce Phoenix's payroll next season by almost 10 mil of straight salary (not sure if luxury tax would be involved, I doubt it). I really think they would say yes to that trade if the economic situation is as bad as projected next season.

Now, I figure most people reading this yelled "hell yes!" when I posed the question above. But a couple things to consider:

1. Shaq is 37 freaking years old. He's had a great year, but you have to wonder if it's his last real hurrah.

2. Is Shaq really ok with not being the focus of an offense? He said all the right things in Phoenix but never really had to back up his talk. Phoenix ran everything through him this season, first because of Porter and then because of Amare getting hurt. I think he'd be fine but it's something to consider.

3. Those two contracts (Stack and Damp) have the potential to bring something with a bit more long term benefit. They really do. I know at some point you have to cash in the magic beans for something real, but in this economic climate you can't ignore the fact that those relatively unique contracts could bring back something with a similar impact for a longer period of time.

4. Shaq (as Fish points out) may very well want a two or three year contract extension. Is that something you're interested in?

Assuming Kidd is willing to sign a two or three year deal, I think I do this deal and give him the extension. If I can go to war with Shaq, Dirk, JHo, Jet and Kidd for the bulk of my minutes the next couple of seasons I think I do it. But it's not without risk.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Shaq's contract expires next year, and next year is also Dampier's last year of guarenteed contract (The 2010 - 2011 he has no guarantee) which essentially makes him expiring as well?

I think getting Shaq would make Kidd stick around. Considering that Dallas has nobody other than Dirk/JET/Howard when he feels like it who can really score on a regular basis, I think there we would be no problem giving Shaq a huge piece of the offense. Dirk and Shaq don't really play in eachother's space, so they are a very compatible PF/C combination. I'd rather have a 37 year old Shaq who gives 20 points a night and rebounds than a Dampier who usually ends up on the bench and we end up playing Bass as center. Even if Shaq runs out of steam, he'd bring more to the table the Dampier does on average (Dampier occasionally has really good nights).
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Damp-for-Shaq?

Mark me down for: HELL YES!!!

(git 'er done yesterday!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
1. Shaq is 37 freaking years old. He's had a great year, but you have to wonder if it's his last real hurrah.

2. Is Shaq really ok with not being the focus of an offense? He said all the right things in Phoenix but never really had to back up his talk. Phoenix ran everything through him this season, first because of Porter and then because of Amare getting hurt. I think he'd be fine but it's something to consider.

3. Those two contracts (Stack and Damp) have the potential to bring something with a bit more long term benefit. They really do. I know at some point you have to cash in the magic beans for something real, but in this economic climate you can't ignore the fact that those relatively unique contracts could bring back something with a similar impact for a longer period of time.

4. Shaq (as Fish points out) may very well want a two or three year contract extension. Is that something you're interested in?
1. 37-year-old Shaq > 33-year-old Damp

2. Was Shaq the center of the offense in Miami?

3. Screw contracts - win a ring NOW!!! (or let Dirk walk...)

4. I'll give Shaq my first-born if it means having a post presence of any kind next to Dirk...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I 'll buy that.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, it's not so much about whether you'd rather have Shaq than Damp. That's obvious. It's if you think there's something better out there that you can get for Stack and Damp, separately or together.

Also, for those that think late 4th quarter offense is important needs fixing...this isn't helping that. Shaq will not see the floor in the final minutes of close games very often.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Yeah I'd do it and I think this would help tremendously with bringing Kidd back. I could care less about long term right now. Our window is next season and maybe the season after that.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Yeah I'd do it and I think this would help tremendously with bringing Kidd back. I could care less about long term right now. Our window is next season and maybe the season after that.
Yea, we need a championship and we need is soon!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty, I'm most excited about this because of how much fun it would be. It will make things just all the more interesting if we pull this off and will make next season one of the most anticipated seasons in a long time.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Who else do you realisticaly see the Mav's being able to get for Damp/Stack. Obviously any trade that includes Damp leaves us staring at a bigger hole at center then we have now and that needs to be addressed. So with that said what other center could we find out there that would provide the best tools for us. I don't know how many centers there will really be on the market.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
Who else do you realisticaly see the Mav's being able to get for Damp/Stack. Obviously any trade that includes Damp leaves us staring at a bigger hole at center then we have now and that needs to be addressed. So with that said what other center could we find out there that would provide the best tools for us. I don't know how many centers there will really be on the market.
There is always Tyson Chandler. I think he could do well with Kidd. As well as Shaq? Who knows. But I do know that Chandler is what, 11 years younger than Shaq? That can't be discounted.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

Also, can't you picture Shaq standing up and saying "Remember this—I’m going to bring a championship to Dallas. I promise."
Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
There is always Tyson Chandler. I think he could do well with Kidd. As well as Shaq? Who knows. But I do know that Chandler is what, 11 years younger than Shaq? That can't be discounted.
Tyson Chandler would still be my #1 choice at the 5, but I don't see New Orleans doing us any favors unless they're REALLY desperate to shed salary (and I'm not buying the whole "economy" bit after the lack of money-saving moves this past trade deadline...)

Old 04-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I agree that Chandler would be great. What does anyone think the odds would be of Troy Murphy? He is a pretty versitile center who averaged almost 12 boards a game this year and Indiana has talked about how they are in trouble. Maybe a damp/stack for either Jarret Jack or TJ Ford and Murphy. Use the MLE to sign a SG.

Last edited by MX425; 04-07-2009 at 02:02 PM.
MX425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Shaq would definitely help out Cuban's wallet, that's for sure (through merchandising, advertising, etc.) With that being said, maybe Cuban will go out and try for another home run via a Howard/Bass trade.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Shaq would be rested this off season.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not that good, he might just eat his fat ass to death, he hasn't missed that many playoffs.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought.

Shaq, Hollins
Dirk, Bass
AK47, Singleton, Shan Foster
Terry, Wright, Green
Kidd, JJB

Resign Hollins, Bass, Singleton, Green
Damp/Stack for Shaq ($$ thing)
Carroll/Josh/this years pick for AK47 (not sure Utah does this, but a shooter and Josh and a pick for AK47)
Let Williams and George go.

Find another defensive minded FA backup PG.

You would have a creator in Kidd, true shooter in JET, defender and clean the board guy in AK47, Dirk is Dirk, and Shaq controlling the paint. Backups have a defensive minded SG, a waterbug PG, energy at the SF, midrange guy at the PF, and an athletic C to back up Shaq.

IF you could get the chemistry right, this team would have the talent to beat any team.

It wouldn't be half way, IMO -- they would either totally bust or totally WIN big.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I think you're drastically over valuing Kirilenko. He's making huge money the next two seasons and I'm not really sure why you'd rather have him over Josh.

As to Chandler...I dunno. He'd be more beneficial long term but Shaq is a MUCH bigger impact in the short term in my opinion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #20
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that Shaq for Josh is a good trade.

I'll understand if we trade Josh, but we need to trade Josh someone who isn't 37 years old. If we can't get Shaq with some combination of Damp/Stack and picks/money/bench player, then I'm not sure he's the right way to go.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #21
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Tyson Chandler would still be my #1 choice at the 5, but I don't see New Orleans doing us any favors unless they're REALLY desperate to shed salary (and I'm not buying the whole "economy" bit after the lack of money-saving moves this past trade deadline...)
Aren't they?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #22
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

dalm has wanted AK for years now =p

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

We can trade Stackhouse/Wright/Williams/Dampier and our 1st rounder for Shaq. We then use our full MLE on Raymond Felton or Ramon Sessions. We re-sign Kidd, Green, Singleton, Hollins, and Bass. We let Devean George go. Go and sign another undrafted power forward like Brandon Bass who can play some center also.

Roster:

PG: Kidd, (Felton or Sessions), Barea
SG: Howard, Green
SF: Singleton, Foster
PF: Dirk, Bass, Undrafted PF
C: Shaq, Hollins,

Last edited by eyedentifyme; 04-07-2009 at 06:08 PM.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedentifyme View Post
We can trade Stackhouse/Wright/Williams/Dampier and our 1st rounder for Shaq. We then use our full MLE on Raymond Felton or Ramon Sessions. We re-sign Kidd, Green, Singleton, Hollins, and Bass. We let Devean George go. Go and sign another undrafted power forward like Brandon Bass who can play some center also.

Roster:

PG: Kidd, (Felton or Sessions), Barea
SG: Howard, Green
SF: Singleton, Foster
PF: Dirk, Bass, Undrafted PF
C: Shaq, Hollins,
Why would you send Wright and Williams when you don't have to? It would do nothing but decrease Phoenix's savings.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

To get something, you have to give up something in potentially good players like Wright and Williams despite Phoenix not saving any money.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
In all honesty, I'm most excited about this because of how much fun it would be. It will make things just all the more interesting if we pull this off and will make next season one of the most anticipated seasons in a long time.
Agreed. Shaq is the type of guy to re-energize a fan base. The Mavs need that IMO. Plus, he is a lot better option than Damp.

I disagree with Jthig about Shaq not being in the line-up at the end of games. Explain that exactly?

The real question is whether Cuban will take on the 21.5 million (which will really be 43 million with tax) just to get him.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #27
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Why does everybody like Andrei Kirilenko?...I don't think Kirilenko and Dirk even like each other plus why would the Jazz help the Mavs out like that?......anyway I would only offer Damp and Stackhouse for Shaq because Howard for Shaq would be like trading Kidd for Harris again, If we get Shaq then were gonna have to put alot of shooters around him because Shaq get's alot of double teams.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Yeah I was messaging shaq about this on his twitter.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #29
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
Yeah I was messaging shaq about this on his twitter.
That almost sounds nasty.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Agreed. Shaq is the type of guy to re-energize a fan base. The Mavs need that IMO. Plus, he is a lot better option than Damp.

I disagree with Jthig about Shaq not being in the line-up at the end of games. Explain that exactly?

The real question is whether Cuban will take on the 21.5 million (which will really be 43 million with tax) just to get him.
Shaq has always been taken out at the end of a lot of close games because of his inablity to hit free throws.

In a key offensive possession if he catches the ball in good position the defense will just put him on the line.

And the trade I proposed would "only" increase payroll by 10 mil (doubled to 20 mil for luxury tax). Damp's 10 mil going out offsets Shaq's 20 mil.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #31
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
dalm has wanted AK for years now =p
Yes I have. Not him specifically, but his talents.

Dirk is an offensive guy. He likes to play outside, which is his strength. He plays OK defense, but he really isn't a shot blocker, nor is he a strong on the ball defender. He can guard most PF's though, but he really plays the SF on offense. This is why he is such a problem for most teams.

AK is a defensive guy. He is a nasty off the ball defender, who can guard SF, but isn't destroyed if they switch with a big. Offensively he likes to play inside and clean the glass, etc. He plays more like a PF on offense when he works 15' and in, but he can step out a little. He is more natural cutting and inside though. Look at how he played before Boozer.

So, Dirk plays the SF on offense and the PF on defense. AK plays the SF on defense and the PF on offense.

I have no clue if they like each other, and I have no idea IF or why any teams makes any trades. I just like the idea of Dirk and AK playing next to each other. Add to that Shaq, and they seem nasty.

Dirk at the high elbow, Kidd pushing when he can. Terry at the three. AK slashing backside. Shaq on the low post working frontside with Dirk, and back cutting with AK and Kidd and Terry spotted up.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #32
eyedentifyme

If we could get AK47, Shaq, and a bigger-than-Barea-quick-athletic-defensive-backup point guard, then we will be set next year for a championship run. We should keep Green around also at least for his attack the basket and create his own shot abilities we would lose from shipping out Howard. If we can't get Ramon Sessions or Raymond Felton, maybe we can give Charlotte some cash to get point guard Sean Singletary from them. You can never have enough talent.

Terry/Kidd/AK47/Dirk/Shaq
Barea/Wright/Singleton/Bass/Hollins
Green/Ramon Sessions? or Raymond Felton? or Trevor Ariza? or Shannon Brown? or Shawn Marion?

Williams/Sean Singletary?/Shan Foster? or Reyshawn Terry? or Rawle Marshall?

Another Guard worth trying to get is Shannon Brown from the LA Lakers who is a free agent also.

Shannon Brown:

12 Shannon Brown Los Angeles Lakers

Position: SG
Born: 11/29/85
Height: 6-4 / 1,93
Weight: 205 lbs. / 93,0 kg.
College: Michigan State '07
Pretty strong and incredibly athletic... Aggressive... Has improved his jump shot a little bit.

Sean Singletary:

Last edited by eyedentifyme; 04-08-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #33
TheMaverick
Golden Member

yes... name AK47 and Shaq, then include Gerald Green in the discussion

wtf?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Shaq rumors to Dallas is also being reported on SI.com now.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...de?eref=fromSI

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #35
TheMaverick
Golden Member

via Mavs DMN blog:

The Mavericks are looking to make even a bigger off-season splash than Shaq.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
The Mavericks are looking to make even a bigger off-season splash than Shaq.
I'll believe it when I see it - this team hasn't done squat since blowing the Finals against Miami (trading Harris for Kidd was a wash *at best* and certainly hasn't brought us any closer to being a title contender again...)

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. We are going to be a team full of old men next year. If it brings us a 'ship I am fine with it, but certain teams in this league have definitely gotten stronger. Shaq does not equal KG. He will not have nearly the impact that so many people think he will have. Also without the Sun's training staff he will be hurt and lumbering around most of the season.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I actually agree that they're looking to make an even bigger splash. As I said before, if the economy shakes out like most suggest it will Stack's contract is going to be really valuable, and Damp is really value and has the potential to be ridiculously valuable NEXT offseason.

Oh, and a big "screw you" to whoever tagged this thread.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you heard Followill on with Bob and Dan yesterday thig, but I got the impression he's thinking along the same lines: That the Mavs will have to find value, or take advantage of teams trying to dump salary BEFORE the whole 2010 deal, because the Mavs aren't likely to be big players in that. And I agree. People should not hang their hats on 2010.

As for Shaq, I just wonder when he breaks down for good. It sure would be fun to have him in town, just to see what he and Corby would get in to.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I don't know if you heard Followill on with Bob and Dan yesterday thig, but I got the impression he's thinking along the same lines: That the Mavs will have to find value, or take advantage of teams trying to dump salary BEFORE the whole 2010 deal, because the Mavs aren't likely to be big players in that. And I agree. People should not hang their hats on 2010.

As for Shaq, I just wonder when he breaks down for good. It sure would be fun to have him in town, just to see what he and Corby would get in to.
I caught the tale end of the segment and was pleased to hear what he had to say.

I'm really looking forward to this offseason.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
repeat thread diahrrea, we're out of toilet paper