Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default The Mavs need a slasher sg/sf more than anything

It is quite obvious that the team shoots waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many jumpers, it is clearly missing a guy 6-6 to 6-9 that can take it off the dribble to create havoc, dish or finish. Future more I would see no problem if they did this by trading JT or Josh.

Here are some guys I would want the FO to contact about their availability:

Gerald Wallace
Kelenna Azubuike
Francisco Garcia
Matt Barnes
Chris Douglas-Roberts (probably not available though)
Andray Blatche

agree disagree???? other names?
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

What about Richard Jefferson?...he's everything your looking for and more, Matt Barnes can be had for the vet-min and that's all the Mavs should offer him and I would be mad if the Mavs got Grant Hill because he's playing great, does anybody know if we have our Bi-annual exception this offseason?
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
What about Richard Jefferson?...he's everything your looking for and more, Matt Barnes can be had for the vet-min and that's all the Mavs should offer him and I would be mad if the Mavs got Grant Hill because he's playing great, does anybody know if we have our Bi-annual exception this offseason?
Thought about it, but the team is aging and his numbers are declining, the mavs need some young player that will stick around Dirk and JT won't be scoring around 20+ forever. Richardson shot 43 % this season his low since 2004=2005 season, but he did get to the line 500 times, I wouldn't be totally against Richardson but I think the team outta get a younger player right now.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I agree with this but I think it has to be a younger player who can help carry the team.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I think one of the most important things the team can do in this offseason isn't just find a trade that brings us a star but not blow the MLE like has been the norm for the past few years.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

This thread = duh.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

How about a trade for Joe Johnson of Atlanta.....he has an expiring contract. Stackhouse + Damp will do it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
It is quite obvious that the team shoots waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many jumpers, it is clearly missing a guy 6-6 to 6-9 that can take it off the dribble to create havoc, dish or finish. Future more I would see no problem if they did this by trading JT or Josh.

Here are some guys I would want the FO to contact about their availability:

Gerald Wallace
Kelenna Azubuike
Francisco Garcia
Matt Barnes
Chris Douglas-Roberts (probably not available though)
Andray Blatche

agree disagree???? other names?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

And then who is our center?
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a FYI.........

Andray Blatche?

* Andray Blatche
* Center

6'11" - avg 10ppg and 5.3 rpg.

He is not a slasher SG/SF. I am not sure he would start over Damp or Hollins, but maybe he would.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
And then who is our center?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Andre Blatche....

Why not get Mbenga back. He can slash and is developing into quite the SG.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
I agree with this but I think it has to be a younger player who can help carry the team.
Gerald Wallace can do that IMO
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashjan View Post
How about a trade for Joe Johnson of Atlanta.....he has an expiring contract. Stackhouse + Damp will do it..

idk if he is available but if he is no sh!t Mavs should go after him
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashjan View Post
The Mavs won't be acquiring expiring contracts, they'll be trading expiring contracts for long-term contracts. With the big free agent class in 2010, pending labor strife, and a weak economy, expirings should have HUGE value this offseason.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, main fact is we need an additional above average scorer beside Dirk/Jet/Josh since we are having Kidd and energy player like Wright and Singleton that cant score a crap...

Sure, slashing is also a main concern for us but if its in the end a wing (Redd/Jefferson/Jrich) or a Center (Kaman, Shaq) doesnt matter.

Main fact is to get such an addition.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

to be a contender we'd need
a) a post presence center (shaq would do nicely in dallas for a year)
b) a weak side shooter who plays good D (not sure who I'd want - doesn't even have to be a star player)
c) a healthy roster otherwise

Last edited by Lor20; 04-15-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Well, we already have one person on our team that came here known as a slasher (Green), but his basketball IQ is very low to say the least. He's a project that could eventually be everything that we need and I highly doubt that he will get released/traded this offseason.

I think that we are moreso in a position to be scouting a solid PG rather than a slasher/scorer. Yes we definitely need someone to stop with the 100 jumpers to every 1 slash to the paint, but a slasher is nothing without a PG to feed him.

I still stand by the fact that Chris Bosh is the ultimate answer for us on the scoring end and then we'll need to resign kidd and try to get Devin Harris back so Devin can learn from Kidd for a season as a bench PG. The possibilities of that happening? About 2 shots under never-a-chance-in-hell.. But isn't the point of this thread the "What-ifs?"
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Marion and Artest are Free Agents this summer. Either of them would fill this role nicely, especially Artest's beastly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, if we can get Artest for the MLE. Re-sign Kidd. We are going to be the team to watch next year IMHO.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Trust me, if we can get Artest for the MLE. Re-sign Kidd. We are going to be the team to watch next year IMHO.
I still think they need to move Stack and possibly Damp for an upgrade at Center as well.

Shaq, Kaman, Camby, Chandler, Rasheed, etc could all be targets to catch lobs from Kidd, and still D up. Rasheed could actually add some range on offense to the position as well.

Artest for the MLE and Kidd resigned would step the Mavs up one notch, I just think they need to go at least two notches to win in the finals.

If Rasheed would take the MLE, would Houston do a SNT with Artest/Bass and Stack where they could just cut Stack, keep Bass, and let Artest go to us? Artest would make more money and Houston would get Bass.

Dallas would have Dirk/Rasheed/Damp/Hollins -- that would be sweet. With JHo and Artest at the swing.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
mavs777
Diamond Member

I would prefer the team stay away from Rasheed, I think he could screw the chemistry up.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #23
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Just say no to Chandler

Kaman is a little mediocre too IMO
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Just say no to Chandler

Kaman is a little mediocre too IMO
Chandler's great when he's healthy. Problem is that isn't very often. And I'm not sure how you can call Kaman mediocre. He's a clear upgrade over Damp.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
Mao

Mao is on a distinguished road

Does somebody know what has happened to Shawn Williams, who has only showed in a few games after he was traded to the Mavs, and then disappeared.
Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

i will spend my summer daydreaming of Shawn Williams emerging as our Tayshaun/Ariza in the starting 5 with kidd, josh, dirk, and damp. this possibility is as likely as an 'impact' FA signing or trade. really.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

OMG, GERALD WALLACE IS A BEAST IN NBA 2K9 ALONG WITH KIDD.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #28
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I want Gerald Wallace, B Davis, and Kaman here like no other... pleeeeease
Seriously though, that would be amazing. I also like the idea of Artest coming here a lot, but Id rather have G Wallace.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
It is quite obvious that the team shoots waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many jumpers,
Then isn't a better way to solve that problem to get a center who can actually score?

Because Kidd gets in the pain all the time, imagine if he had a center to dump the ball off to.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #30
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao View Post
Does somebody know what has happened to Shawn Williams, who has only showed in a few games after he was traded to the Mavs, and then disappeared.
I think he had some personal stuff that came up. I don't remember even seeing him by the bench for half of the season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Then isn't a better way to solve that problem to get a center who can actually score?

Because Kidd gets in the pain all the time, imagine if he had a center to dump the ball off to.
If Kidd gets in the paint it must be by transporter because it sure isn't off the dribble. Have you even watched the Games since Kidd has been here or are you remembering Kidd from when he was here earlier? All he does now is shoot jumpers.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
If Kidd gets in the paint it must be by transporter because it sure isn't off the dribble. Have you even watched the Games since Kidd has been here or are you remembering Kidd from when he was here earlier? All he does now is shoot jumpers.
or average 9 assists
Old 06-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #33
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
Have you watched the games?

He gets in the paint all the time. The reason you may not have noticed is because he never actually SCORES in the paint. He gets in the paint and immediately passes it to someone standing around on the arc. He does this even when he's all alone in the paint and should be able to make an easy layup.

Sometimes he gets in the paint by backing down other point guards. One big advantage Kidd has over other PGs is size, and it gives him the ability to back down other point guards and basically force them in the paint at will. The problem with this is that once he's in the paint, he can't score so it's all but useless. Sometimes he gets in the paint simply because he's smart and knows how to get open and out think other players too. Bottom line, he gets in the paint, he just doesn't score in the paint.

Every now you'll see him get in the paint and dump it off to Dampier. Normally, on a team with a center who doesn't have hands made of stone, this would be a brilliant move which would help offset his inability to make a layup. Unfortunately Dampier just drops it and Kidd remembers "oh yeah I'm playing with Dampier" and gives up.

What I'm getting at here is that we have a playmaker at PG. We need players around him who can actually finish when he sets up a great play for them. While a SG who can create his own shot and slash to the basket would be nice, I don't think it's nearly as critical as having a center who can finish, especially if you're going to keep Kidd.

And let's face it, the Mavs have had good SG's before. They've pretty much never had a good center, and the reason they never have one is that every time they should get one they listen to people who say exactly what you're saying... and so the Mavs continue never ever to have a center.

Hey, let's try getting a Center for once!

Last edited by cinemablend; 06-02-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #34
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

winner

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I still think they need to move Stack and possibly Damp for an upgrade at Center as well.

Shaq, Kaman, Camby, Chandler, Rasheed, etc could all be targets to catch lobs from Kidd, and still D up. Rasheed could actually add some range on offense to the position as well.

Artest for the MLE and Kidd resigned would step the Mavs up one notch, I just think they need to go at least two notches to win in the finals.

If Rasheed would take the MLE, would Houston do a SNT with Artest/Bass and Stack where they could just cut Stack, keep Bass, and let Artest go to us? Artest would make more money and Houston would get Bass.

Dallas would have Dirk/Rasheed/Damp/Hollins -- that would be sweet. With JHo and Artest at the swing.
I couldn't agree more!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #36
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:

He gets in the paint all the time. The reason you may not have noticed is because he never actually SCORES in the paint. He gets in the paint and immediately passes it to someone standing around on the arc. He does this even when he's all alone in the paint and should be able to make an easy layup.

Sometimes he gets in the paint by backing down other point guards. One big advantage Kidd has over other PGs is size, and it gives him the ability to back down other point guards and basically force them in the paint at will. The problem with this is that once he's in the paint, he can't score so it's all but useless. Sometimes he gets in the paint simply because he's smart and knows how to get open and out think other players too. Bottom line, he gets in the paint, he just doesn't score in the paint.

Every now you'll see him get in the paint and dump it off to Dampier. Normally, on a team with a center who doesn't have hands made of stone, this would be a brilliant move which would help offset his inability to make a layup. Unfortunately Dampier just drops it and Kidd remembers "oh yeah I'm playing with Dampier" and gives up.

What I'm getting at here is that we have a playmaker at PG. We need players around him who can actually finish when he sets up a great play for them. While a SG who can create his own shot and slash to the basket would be nice, I don't think it's nearly as critical as having a center who can finish, especially if you're going to keep Kidd.

And let's face it, the Mavs have had good SG's before. They've pretty much never had a good center, and the reason they never have one is that every time they should get one they listen to people who say exactly what you're saying... and so the Mavs continue never ever to have a center.

Man, I think we're finally starting to all get on the same page here!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #37
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You're dead wrong on just about everything here. Kidd does NOT get into the paint. The last time Kidd beat his man off the dribble, he was in a Nets' uniform.

It's true that sometimes he posts up, but that is extremely rare, and even when he does, that is not reliable way to initiate the offense. As you say, he can't score, so obviously he never draws a double team.

Quote:

Uh... what? The Mavs haven't had a good shooting guard in what... 5 years? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting an upgrade at center, but don't sugarcoat the rest of the problems. The Mavs absolutely DO NOT have a backcourt that's worthy of a championship team.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-03-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #38
cinemablend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You're dead wrong on just about everything here. Kidd does NOT get into the paint. The last time Kidd beat his man off the dribble, he was in a Nets' uniform.
Where did I say he beats his man off the dribble?

Quote:
Uh... what? The Mavs haven't had a good shooting guard in what... 5 years? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting an upgrade at center, but don't sugarcoat the rest of the problems. The Mavs absolutely DO NOT have a backcourt that's worthy of a championship team.
The Mavs haven't had a good center in... ever. And I never said they have a backcourt that's worthy of a championship team. However, a backcourt with Jason Terry in it is not that awful. It's certainly better than Erica Dampier at the Center position. I'd rather see Bass start at Center next year if they fail to get a real center.

In fact I said they could definitely use a SG, but I'd rather have a Center and we'll never get a Center because whenever it's time to get a Center people scream for something else.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #39
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd actually did a fantastic job distributing out of the high post late in the season. I can recall him finding JET for a lot of wide open corner threes that got buried. We definitely don't utilize his size advantage nearly enough.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Where did I say he beats his man off the dribble?
If a guy can't beat his defender, he doesn't get into the paint. Jason Kidd can't beat his defender. He doesn't get into the paint. Pretty cut and dry.

Quote:
However, a backcourt with Jason Terry in it is not that awful.
Yes it is.

Quote:
It's certainly better than Erica Dampier at the Center position. I'd rather see Bass start at Center next year if they fail to get a real center.
Wow. I'm trying really hard to respect you as a poster, but you're making it very hard. The "erica" bit is just f*cking stupid. It's not clever. It's not witty. It's not funny. It doesn't illustrate a point. It doesn't add anything to your argument. It's just stupid. It makes you look bad. Second, if you honestly believe that we're better off starting Bass at center, then you are retarded. And I don't mean that in a mockingly insulting, sarcastic way. I mean that in all seriousness. You are literally mentally retarded if you believe that.

Quote:
In fact I said they could definitely use a SG, but I'd rather have a Center and we'll never get a Center because whenever it's time to get a Center people scream for something else.
Give me names. I'd love to have a center who can score in the post, but give me names of people who are available and are an actual upgrade over Dampier. If you haven't noticed, the center position is the shallowest in the league. I'll even start you off by narrowing down a bit. Sheed and Chandler don't count. I'll even go ahead and scratch Shaq off that list because he's nowhere near worth what we'd have to give up for him.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.