Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #41
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
How about Tyler Hansbrough? He's our pick in the present DraftExpress mock.
That would definitely scratch some heads considering he's primed to play the 4 spot. There was a good article on db.com talking about the draft. The moral of the story was don't limit yourself on what you're looking for or you'll miss out on talent. We're looking at PGs in scouting which is fine, but if someone great falls at 22, you can't be oblivious to that and stick to your guns.

This was a good analogy from the article:
When teams try to “fill a need,’’ it’s akin to a man desiring a woman and insisting she be “brunette and over 5-5.’’ Why eliminate one billion candidates? Why limit your search? What if your dream girl turns out to be blonde and 5-2?

But back to your point, Psycho T isn't a terrible option, he's not gonna be a star in the league, but he'll fight and bring you energy night in and night out. It's also a great option if you're sure you're going to lose Bass. If you still have Bass, you'll find a way to work around it.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Im good with T hansbrough

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #43
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Young money baby? lol
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #44
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Hansbrough, a David Lee clone or Budinger, a freakish ex volleyball player, im fine with any of these.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #45
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I watched the ESPN U coverage of the NBA combine. Wasn't much to see as they've made the whole into drills, no 5 on 5. It's harder to evaluate who looks good and who doesn't when they are doing layup and shooting drills.
But a few guys that caught my eye.

Ty Lawson - I went into this wanting to see greatness from him, as he's my favorite of the potentially available pgs. I thought he went through the drills lazy like and is pretty short. He has funky shot too, doesn't extend his arm kinda like matrix. We'd have to get a better look at him against some competition.

Sam Young - they told a story that in a workout in toranto, he got impaled by the vertical jump thing and had to get it cut out of his bicep. Pretty crazy. He's 24 and looks old too, in the face. He's a potential starter on a team like ours, if his defense is as good as people say. They interviewed pitts head coach and he loved the guy. Seems like he'd be better than a. Wright because he's bigger and can knock down the open corner 3.

Marcus Williams - looks and acts a little goofy. He's a heck of a athelete and jumps out the gym. Looks very smooth, but not sure about his shot. Can dribble and pass really well, but is only around 6'5, he'd have to be a two. Like him though.

Darren collison - loved the kid 2years ago and like him in the draft. He's a rocket on the floor. Nice height but way skinny. He can run a second unit the NBA for sure and would add nice depth. His shot looks slow, like a long windup.

Maynor - not sure his first name but kid has a chance to be something. Can score for sure, has to learn how to be a pg. Might be the Aaron brooks of the draft.

Patty mills, psycho T, others I really couldn't tell how the looked. But this draft is way deep at pg, all other positions are weak.
u
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #46
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Man...if I knew I could've watched that, I would've been glued to the screen.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #47
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Please no Pyscho T or Jeff Teague. That's it.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #48
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Nice interview with Patty Mills. I'm on board with this kid. He'll be right around our pick and hes very quick. Seems to have a great sense about him and would be a nice leader on the floor if/when Kidd is gone.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6406
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #49
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

^ I'm definitely okay with Mills

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #50
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

lol Donnie Nelson compared to Al Davis http://www.cbssports.com/video/playe...e=videobox_nba

2:15
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #51
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Jermaine Taylor would be a good choice if the team does not move up
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #52
MaVs0541

MaVs0541 is on a distinguished road

Terrence Williams thats the guy we need but im scared he is not gonna be the high in the draft and some one else gets him but he is a awesome player good ball handling skills very athletic could be the sg we need i sure hope so look at his workout video http://www.nba.com/video/channels/dr...ynn_draft.nba/
MaVs0541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #53
TheMaverick
Golden Member

That is a video of the overrated Flynn.

Anyways, I watched the video of Terrence and GP... Williams has the potential to be really really good in this league.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #54
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, Louisville's Terrence Williams does look like a hard worker. He could come in and fill our SG spot right away like how Josh Howard filled our SF spot right away when he got drafted. Patty Mills would also be a good pick, but isn't Patty Mills the same size as JJ Barea, and at this point, either of them starting would get abused by other bigger starting point guards in the west. Also is there a way we can make a trade again to the Wizards to Antawn Jamison, Nick Young, and the draft rights to PF Jordan Hill? The Wizards will get Stack, 22nd Pick, Carroll, and Cash. We let Kidd go. We also let Devean George go, or if he's still under contract, we need to release him. We also use our full MLE on Raymond Felton, if we can. We will then have filled all our needs, a point guard with firepower, a shooting guard with firepower, and center who can score. We also add firepower to our bench with Antawn Jamison while leaving Jet where he was this year as the 6th man of the year along with Barea who can still bring additional firepower from the bench. We need to have Shan Foster here and bring back Reyshawn Terry as well for future development or injury replacement during the season. Defensively, we should be better as well, because we will now be a more quick and athletic team. Also to note, our starting lineup will now have five scorers (what we lacked this season), and we will also have four guys who can score from the bench in Jet, Jamison, Bass, and Barea.

Roster:

Raymond Felton/Young/Howard/Dirk/Jordan Hill
Jet/Wright/Jamison/Bass/Damp
Hollins/Barea

Shawne Williams/Shan Foster/Reyshawn Terry

Last edited by eyedentifyme; 06-09-2009 at 12:23 PM.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #55
MaVs0541

opps wrong link lol i cant get the direct link to the thing but what the maverick said its the one that says Terrence and GP at the bottom right of that link i gave
Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #56
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedentifyme View Post
Yeah, Louisville's Terrence Williams does look like a hard worker. He could come in and fill our SG spot right away like how Josh Howard filled our SF spot right away when he got drafted. Patty Mills would also be a good pick, but isn't Patty Mills the same size as JJ Barea, and at this point, either of them starting would get abused by other bigger starting point guards in the west. Also is there a way we can make a trade again to the Wizards to Antawn Jamison, Nick Young, and the draft rights to PF Jordan Hill? The Wizards will get Stack, 22nd Pick, Carroll, and Cash. We let Kidd go. We also let Devean George go, or if he's still under contract, we need to release him. We also use our full MLE on Raymond Felton, if we can. We will then have filled all our needs, a point guard with firepower, a shooting guard with firepower, and center who can score. We also add firepower to our bench with Antawn Jamison while leaving Jet where he was this year as the 6th man of the year along with Barea who can still bring additional firepower from the bench. We need to have Shan Foster here and bring back Reyshawn Terry as well for future development or injury replacement during the season. Defensively, we should be better as well, because we will now be a more quick and athletic team. Also to note, our starting lineup will now have five scorers (what we lacked this season), and we will also have four guys who can score from the bench in Jet, Jamison, Bass, and Barea.

Roster:

Raymond Felton/Young/Howard/Dirk/Jordan Hill
Jet/Wright/Jamison/Bass/Damp
Hollins/Barea

Shawne Williams/Shan Foster/Reyshawn Terry
They won't let Young go. Young steps in when one of Jamison or Butler is dealt. He's still on his rookie deal. They'll be more interested in taking Wright than Carroll and I'm sure they'd want us to take on someone like Songaila or Crittenton.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #57
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

If they're trading us Butler&#5 for Stack,#22,Carroll/Wright &cash we would take back Songalia AND Crittendon---happily!
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #58
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Broke down a watched some highlight videos of some of the guys projected to go high in the draft. Harden's interesting. Kinda makes me think of a shorter Pierce starter kit. The height would make me a bit nervous on him, but the arm length makes up for some of it.

Hill...seems a bit raw, but after watching the little bit that I saw I at least had the impression that he was physically capable of playing center in the NBA. With the right work ethic, who knows.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #59
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Ford updated his Mock. His comments on the 5th and 22nd pick:

Quote:
5) James Harden...Analysis: As we've been reporting since draft lottery night, the Wizards continue to shop the pick. A source in Washington told me that they've had a number of interesting offers. Their goal is to get back a veteran who can play right now -- and to shed a few million dollars off their cap if possible.

A number of teams -- including the Knicks, Mavericks, Rockets and Pacers -- are possibilities here. If the Wizards keep the pick, they'll have a tough choice between Harden and Hill. From the intel I've received, it sounds as though Harden might be slightly ahead.
Quote:
22) Terrance Williams...Analysis: The Mavs have been willing to take a chance on big-time athletes with a questionable background. It worked for them with Josh Howard and it might work again with Williams. He has lottery talent, and if he can focus and improve that jump shot, he could be a long-term replacement for Jerry Stackhouse. Ty Lawson is also a possibility here.

The biggest surprise to me was Hansbrough at 11 after seeing him in the mid 20's for the past few months.

Last edited by dirno2000; 06-11-2009 at 12:24 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #60
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Ford updated his Mock. His comments on the 5th and 22nd pick:
For some reason...I really think we need to be looking more at the talent at the front half of the draft opposed to the back half. I just keep thinking it's becoming more likely we do a deal with Washington.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #61
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Terrence would be a steal at 22.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #62
MaVs0541

i know lets pray this happens the starting sg we need then trade for shaq and someone else just dont know yet
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #63
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the deadline has passed for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft Ford has updated his mock. Unfortunately he has Terrance Williams shooting up the board, possibly going as high as 11th to the Nets. The actual prediction is the T-Wolves at 18 but according to Ford a number of teams are trying to move up and snag him.

He now has the Mavs taking James Johnson from Wake Forest:

Analysis: At No. 22, the Mavs can sit back and see who falls.

Johnson could be a terrific sleeper pick. He has the raw ability to be great, but has hurt his stock a bit in workouts.

Dallas would be walking away with a real talent, albeit not necessarily filling a need.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #64
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

^ I agree with that. He's a great athlete and it never hurts adding that type of strength/build to your roster. Plus, choosing from late in the round--its hard to find a truly impact player. The last time we went ACC in the first round, it turned out great for us so maybe we can somehow duplicate that.

Contact Me
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #65
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
The last time we went ACC in the first round, it turned out great for us so maybe we can somehow duplicate that.
Did it really?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #66
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Did it really?
ESPN did a statistical analysis on the last 20 years of the draft. In a nutshell they looked at the career average wins added (new Hollinger stat) of every player drafted since 1989 and, using regression, came up with the EWA for every slot from 1 to 60. Josh out performed his draft spot more than any other player picked 29th over that time period. Using this measure he's also the second best Maverick draft pick. He's behind Dirk but ahead of Kidd and Harris.

That's my long winded way of saying yes.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #67
alby
Guru

I hate the idiot, but for being the last pick of the first round--he turned out to be above expectations. Let's not forget guys like Antsey, Pavel, and others.

Contact Me
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #68
BGMaverick9
Guru

I thought I saw that Ford's latest Mock had Harden at 5.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #69
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Hollinger released his draftable player rankings today. For those not familiar it's a purely statistical ranking based on height, weight, college stats and years in college. He's only been tracking the data since 2002 so it's still a work in progress. The really interesting take away is that a player most mocks have being available at 22 is ranked #1:

Quote:
The pleasant surprise: Ty Lawson

Two players are neck and neck for the top spot in this year's Draft Rater. You could easily guess that one of them is Blake Griffin, but most folks never would have guessed that the other is Lawson.

Lawson, who is coming off an electric performance in leading North Carolina to the championship, grades out highly for several reasons: Although he's short for a point guard, his shooting numbers (47.1 percent on 3-pointers), strong assist rate and microscopic turnover ratio (9.1, first among point guard prospects) all point to him as an NBA keeper.

The Draft Rater puts Lawson slightly ahead of Griffin for first, but this doesn't mean a team should take Lawson first. The standard error in the projections for point guards is higher than it is for big men, which means random noise could be putting Lawson ahead just as easily as on-the-court performance. If the consensus is that Griffin is the better player, I don't think Lawson's statistical record alone is strong enough evidence to refute it. Additionally, we've heard questions about Lawson's work ethic and injuries.

But the rating is emphatic enough for me to say Lawson should be at the top of the college point guard ladder, ahead of Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague & Co. (If you're wondering about Ricky Rubio, I'll have more on him next week.)
Also Nick Calathes, the 6'5 PG who left Florida to play professionally in Greece is ranked 6th. If you recall he's one of the first players we worked out.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #70
BGMaverick9
Guru

So there are going to be a stable of guys who could potentially be in our range at 22, here is what I like/dislike about them:

Terrence Williams: He's got a lot of skills, he's just not a dominant figure at any of them. He'll be a good facilitator from the SG positon. He'll bring a lot of grit and toughness and in the right system he could be a solid force for years to come. I think the problem is we're going to have to get very lucky for him to fall. If he's there at 22, it's a steal.

Tyler Hansbrough: I don't think he's going to be a risk, he'll be a solid player in the league for several years. I don't see him being a major starter, but he's going to be a glue guy that will bring hustle, energy and effort every night. He's also smart and he's tough. The size is an issue obviously, but he's got the motor and determination to make it happen. Again, can't really complain if we take him.

Ty Lawson: He knows how to run a team that's ready to win. He should have pretty decent speed and be able to be a facilitator. I'm not sure if he's going to be a solid scorer in the league and I'm not sure if he can translate in a potential starter, it's possible but there will be some risk. I think if we pass on him it's because his shooting ability and the idea that he can defend the position.

Eric Maynor: Out of PGs, he's probably the one I'm most interested in. He's polished and is a natural PG. He has similar flaws to Lawson but they are not as severe. He can create for himself and others and he can see all the angles for passing and his a natural leader and he's also smart. I keep hearing that he's a clutch player as well, when it gets tough and it's crunch time, he thrives. That's something you've gotta take into consideration as well.

Jeff Teague: speed and excitement, that's what I get from him. He sounds a lot like Jet in the sense he is a combo guard and is too small for the SG position but he can shoot. He's a guy if he catches fire, you have to watch out because he won't miss. It's hard to miss a Jet comparison with him so if he's still here...not sure if I see the fit.

Sam Young: He seems to be a guy who will be able to survive in the league for quite a while as well. He's tough as nails and is ready to take the challenge of manning up on any scorer in the league. He's athletic but I'm not sure if offense will be able to be a factor for him early in the league for him. He'll be a Dahntay Jones kind of guy for a while until he can develop more offense.

Chase Budinger: Shooter in the house! If that's who we go with, that sounds like a pure Donnie pick because that's what he harps about, shooting. He still seems like a finesse player but he can pass and is smart and puts himself in a good position to be a scorer. I think he's still a project if you want him to develop into starting material but he could be just a scoring specialist to come off the bench if you want him too.

So out of that list I'd really like them to consider
Terrence Williams
Eric Maynor
Tyler Hansbrough
Sam Young
Ty Lawson
Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #71
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Draftexpress has done a couple of statistical comparisons for PGs and SGs in the draft. Lawson looks outstanding in that analysis, and Williams (if you discount scoring) looks very good as well.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #72
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think if we pass on him it's because his shooting ability and the idea that he can defend the position.
I'm not sure I understand this one. Last year he shot 53% from the field 80% from the FT line and 47% from 3.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #73
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder where Mo Ager (even today's Mo Ager) would go in this draft.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #74
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this one. Last year he shot 53% from the field 80% from the FT line and 47% from 3.
I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with the people we'll want him to stop. And I'm not sure he'll be able to score against NBA defenders other than just attacking the basket. Sure, that is something we clearly need, but teams adjust or there will always be someone that can stop you, so you have to develop the outside jumper on a consistent basis.

It'll take time for him to develop into a potential starter and we'll need to maintain an uptempo offense for him to be best utilized. I'm not sure if our FO is actually buying into the fact they can wait on a player.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #75
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It would suck to have to choose between Lawson, Maynor, or Williams if more than one of them falls. I'd freak if we drafted Maynor. Lawson and Williams are my second and third choices.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #76
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wonder where Mo Ager (even today's Mo Ager) would go in this draft.
Probably early to mid second. His was a horrible draft because it was the first without highschoolers.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #77
chumdawg
Guru

If they drafted it again today, though, he doesn't get drafted, right? The kid can't play in the league, can he?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #78
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
If they drafted it again today, though, he doesn't get drafted, right? The kid can't play in the league, can he?
Yea it looks like he's done. You're right, in retrospect he wouldn't have gotten drafted at all. I thought you were asking where he would go if he were in this draft straight from MSU with the same college resume.

He was a productive four year player from a major program and I believe he tested well athletically. I can't imagine that type of player goes undrafted in any draft.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #79
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with the people we'll want him to stop. And I'm not sure he'll be able to score against NBA defenders other than just attacking the basket. Sure, that is something we clearly need, but teams adjust or there will always be someone that can stop you, so you have to develop the outside jumper on a consistent basis.

It'll take time for him to develop into a potential starter and we'll need to maintain an uptempo offense for him to be best utilized. I'm not sure if our FO is actually buying into the fact they can wait on a player.
There are some defensive concerns because of his height but I'm still not sure why you think his shooting is such a big question mark. He filled it up in college which is all we have to go on at this point.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #80
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
There are some defensive concerns because of his height but I'm still not sure why you think his shooting is such a big question mark. He filled it up in college which is all we have to go on at this point.
The height definitely is an issue. I don't think his speed on offense can be equated to speed on defense. I just have doubts because it's clearly a different level of competition between college ball and the pros. The knock I've heard is he doesn't have a consistent perimeter game. He can get in the lane and create for himself or others, but if you give him space and dare him to shoot...that's where the problem can come in.

I'm not trying to dog on him and say we need to avoid him at all costs, don't get me wrong.

What did you think about the other assessments and who you would like and/or dislike