Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-16-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Mort report Cowboys fill Week 2 top-five lists

Let's start with a confession. I didn't see more than 30 minutes of any game Sunday because I had an assignment to interview my ex-studio-and-breakfast mate, Bill Parcells.

So down the interstate I went to meet with Parcells. I'm glad I did, especially after Monday night's terrific, stunning Cowboys victory over the Giants. It gave me a better read on the man they call Tuna.

Bill Parcells
I pushed him a little, asking if he was looking at a year of unpleasantries with his new team in Dallas. Now I didn't expect him to nod affirmatively and say, "That's right, we're going to have a long season with this group of players."

Instead, he almost shot darts at me with those blue eyes and told me he expects this team to get better, just as it did in the preseason. I could definitely tell that he was not conceding defeat to the Giants, and it felt like more than just a typical posture.

My top-five lists this week will be based in part by other media reports, hearsay and highlights. I did see the Monday night game in its entirety, which is testimony to its great drama because it's difficult for me to stay up until midnight, let alone past 1 a.m., as I did for the Cowboys-Giants game.

Super Bowl pick after Week 2: Bills vs. Bucs again, though coach Dick Vermeil's Chiefs and Dennis Erickson's 49ers have my attention (yes, the 49ers, even in defeat). Oh, there were some great reminders in Week 2 that it ain't over till it's over, as you can check out in this week's top-five lists.

Best Games
1. Cowboys 35, Giants 32 (OT) -- Let's just quote Parcells in the postgame press conference: "It was one of the greatest games I've ever been involved in."
2. Panthers 12, Bucs 9 (OT) -- It wasn't just the seesaw ending. This was a fierce confrontation between two divisional foes boasting two of the few great defenses in the NFL. It was the most intense game of the short season and only 33 penalty flags tainted it.
3. Rams 27, 49ers 24 (OT) -- 49ers QB Jeff Garcia made some dramatic great throws, but the Rams found a way to avoid an 0-2 start.
4. Redskins 33, Falcons 31 -- Coach Spurrier has shown in two games that he will win any way he has to, via air or ground. That makes the 'Skins dangerous.
5. Raiders 23, Bengals 20 -- No, the score was not a misprint.

Most Impressive in Victory
1. Chiefs 41, Steelers 20 -- The Chiefs roared back from a 17-7 deficit and hit the Steelers with a barrage of kick returns, passes, runs and turnovers.
2. Colts 33, Titans 7 -- If there's such a thing as a statement game this early in the season, then the Colts made themselves loud and clear. Tony Dungy's defense (coordinated by Ron Meeks) has grasped the scheme. You can't call the Colts soft, based on this win against the Titans.
3. Broncos 37, Chargers 13 -- Jake Plummer separated a shoulder (we think), Clinton Portis left with a bruised chest and the Broncos still routed a host Chargers team hungry for an upset.
4. Panthers 12, Bucs 9 (OT) -- The Panthers manhandled the Super Bowl champs in the trenches.
5. Ravens 33, Browns 13 -- It was a big rebound from a disappointment at Pittsburgh, thanks to Jamal Lewis.

Best Performance: Quarterback
1. Drew Bledsoe, Bills -- I'm not sure that anybody, including Brett Favre and Daunte Culpepper, throws a better ball. Bledsoe was 19-of-24 for 314 yards and two TDs and left the Jags somewhat in awe.
2. Quincy Carter, Cowboys -- Maybe there were a few ugly moments, but Carter (321 yards) made big plays when it counted and led the 'Boys to a memorable win over the G-men.
3. Patrick Ramsey, Redskins -- The second-year man from Tulane took a licking in the first half, and then scorched an injured Atlanta secondary for 356 yards, two TDs and a huge road victory.
4. Jon Kitna, Bengals -- OK, he threw two interceptions, but he had 301 yards and a bunch of big throws that almost led the Bengals to an upset in Oakland.
5a. Marc Bulger, Rams -- After a shaky first half, Bulger settled down and led the Rams to a significant divisional win over the 49ers.
5b. Jeff Garcia, 49ers -- With a banged-up O-line, pressured all day, slightly concussed in the first half, Garcia proved that again he's one terrific competitor.
5c. Tom Brady, Patriots -- True, the Eagles were without a couple of Pro Bowl defenders in the secondary (Brian Dawkins and Bobby Taylor). But Brady made them pay for it with a three-TD day.

Best Performance: Running Back
1. Jamal Lewis, Ravens -- Record-setting 295 yards. Duh.
2. Stephen Davis, Panthers -- He worked it hard for 142 yards on 33 carries against the Bucs.
3. Priest Holmes, Chiefs -- Three TDs on 122 yards and 26 carries.
4. Ahman Green, Packers -- Just what Dr. Favre ordered. Green took the load for 160 yards on 23 carries and a TD.
5a. Clinton Portis, Broncos -- Before a bruised chest sent him to the sidelines, he tore up the Chargers for 129 on 12 rushes.
5b. Ricky Williams, Dolphins -- He brought the lunch pail to New Jersey for a 34-carry, 125-yard day vs. the Jets.
5c. Edgerrin James, Colts -- Nothing spectacular but, like Williams, gave a strong blue-collar effort (30-for-120 yards) in a blue-collar win over the divisional rival Titans.

Best Performance: Wide Receiver
1. Laveranues Coles, Redskins -- He had no mercy (11 catches, 180 yards, 1 TD) on a depleted Falcons' secondary. In Spurrier's offense, he might be a Pro Bowl lock.
2. Terry Glenn, Cowboys -- He came through big with eight clutch catches (113 yards).
3. Amani Toomer, Giants -- Even though it was bittersweet, he had another big game (7-for-126 yards, 1 TD).
4. Antonio Bryant, Cowboys -- He got open, took a bone-jarring hit, held onto the ball and got out of bounds to set up Billy Cundiff's 52-yard FG that sent the Cowboys into OT.
5a. Chad Johnson, Bengals -- If this guy stays the course, he may out-Pro Bowl cousin Keyshawn. He came up with eight big catches and 131 yards vs. talented Raiders' secondary.
5b. Darrell Jackson, Seahawks -- Three catches. That's all. For 133 yards and two TDs.

Best Plays
1. Panthers DT Kris Jenkins' block -- Jenkins' block of Martin Gramatica's PAT with no time left in regulation that prevented a certain Bucs' comeback victory.
2. Chiefs KR Dante Hall's 100-yard kick return -- Hall's return knifed into the Steelers early, igniting an Arrowhead crowd and the Chiefs.
3. 49ers QB Jeff Garcia's 13-yard TD pass -- Garcia's pass in the waning seconds was a perfectly placed throw to Terrell Owens in the face of a blitzing rush that tied the game at 24.
4. Redskins LB Jessie Armstead's sack -- Armstead sacked Falcons QB Doug Johnson for a late third-quarter safety ... and the margin of victory.
5. Jamal Lewis' 82-yard TD run -- Lewis' run on his first carry that sparked his record-setting day vs. the Browns.

Best Defenders
1. Seahawks S Ken Hamlin -- Remember the name. The second-round pick from Arkansas is conjuring up memories of ex-Seahawk great Kenny Easley. He wreaked havoc again on the Cardinals and now has forced four of the team's league-high 10 turnovers.
2. Bucs S John Lynch -- He still has plenty of big hits and big plays, as the Panthers can attest.
3. Packers OLB Nick Barnett -- A rookie and first-round pick, Barnett put together a 12-tackle day as the Lions managed just a pair of field goals at Lambeau Field.
4. Saints DE Willie Whitehead -- Nailed Texans QB David Carr for two sacks.
5. Ravens S Ed Reed -- Picked off Browns QB Kelly Holcomb twice on his early trek to Hawaii (for the Pro Bowl).

Special (Teams) Citations
1. Panthers special teams coach Scott O'Brien -- He again proved why he's one of the best as the Panthers blocked two FGs and a potential game-winning extra point by Martin Gramatica. Then Steve Smith returned a punt 52 yards to set up John Kasay's winning FGs. Kasay nailed four in the game to account for all of his team's points.
2. Panthers DT Kris Jenkins -- Jenkins blocked a FG and the PAT.
3. Cowboys K Bill Cundiff -- Cundiff kicked a record-tying seven field goals, including a 52-yarder to send it into OT.
4. Chiefs KR Dante Hall -- As previously mentioned, Hall did it again. You're a great player when the other team knows how dangerous you are, works all week to contain you, and you still break them, as Hall did vs. Steelers.
5. Giants K Matt Bryant -- OK, it's a bad citation -- for squibbing his kick out of bounds that enabled the Cowboys to complete a pass and kick a game-tying FG in the waning moments of what everyone thought was a dramatic come-from-behind win for the G-men.

Best Quotes
1. "It was one of the best games I've ever been involved in." -- Cowboys coach Bill Parcells on Monday night's 35-32 OT victory. That's a mouthful for a coach who's won two Super Bowls and seen a lot of other great games from the sidelines.
2. "Fat guys love that slow, sloppy turf." -- Packers C Mike Flanagan on the rain that fell before the team's win over Detroit at Lambeau Field. Funny thing is, Flanagan isn't fat.
3. "It got personal." -- Panthers DT Brentson Buckner on the 33-penalty brawl between Carolina and Tampa Bay.
4. "At some point, he will realize the opportunity he has. He's a wonderful young man ... but he does dumb stuff sometimes. I equate it with tough love." -- Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren on suspending WR Koren Robinson for Sunday's game in Arizona after Robinson was late Saturday for a team meeting. The coach gets it.
5. "For his sake and our sake, I had to fib a little bit." -- Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on covering up QB Jake Plummer's slight shoulder separation after sending word during the game that it was a "concussion." At least Shanahan 'fessed up.

Best Games: Week 3
1. Buffalo at Miami -- An ESPN Sunday nighter that features big AFC East rivals in a truth-telling game.
2. Oakland at Denver -- The AFC West rivalry renewed and a chance to see if the Broncos have turned the corner.
3. St. Louis at Seattle -- Speaking of truth-telling games, this is it in the NFC West.
4. Tampa Bay at Atlanta -- Both lost in Week 2, and one will be 1-2 in the NFC South.
5a. New York Giants at Washington -- Redskins can take an early hold of NFC East by taking advantage of Giants' line woes.
5b. Pittsburgh at Cincinnati -- True, it normally wouldn't merit much mention, but strange things always seem to happen when they play in Cincy.
5c. New Orleans at Tennessee -- Do the Titans have enough healthy bodies?

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

cool..excellent post jayc..where'd y ou get the info?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

espn.com nfl section mortensen
Old 09-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Mort report Cowboys fill Week 2 top-five lists

Cundiff should be in first. His record was impressive.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

cool, thanks jayc.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
it's your responsibility to post it every week
Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Though the Cowboys playoffs hopes aren't visible isn't that Giants and Redskins game a win-win situation for us? One team has to lose. I prefer the Giants go down 1-2.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

I can't root for the redskins no way no how! Whos at home? Filthy!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

maybe they'll tie
Old 09-17-2003, 12:09 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Though the Cowboys playoffs hopes aren't visible isn't that Giants and Redskins game a win-win situation for us? One team has to lose. I prefer the Giants go down 1-2.
A true Cowboy fan ALWAYS wants the Redskins to lose. It's an unwritten law.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

well, a true cowboys fan always wants the giants, redskins, and the eagles to lose... there just happens to be a conflict of interest this week
Old 09-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on how old you are. The Redskins are our traditional rivals, but in the 90's we had more fierce battles with the Eagles.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

How can you hate a team that has Jeremiah Trotter, Jesse Armstead, Champ Bailey, Bruce Smith, Pat Ramsey, Fred Smoot, and Lavar Arrington? I agree with the past of the Redskins but there are alot of indiviuals I love on that team. That defense especially.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I think it depends on how old you are. The Redskins are our traditional rivals.
I'm old. I started hating the Skins way back in the George Allen era.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #14
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

I want the Skins to lose so they wont be 3-0, 2-1 is good for the Cowboys with the Giants being 2-1. Especially since we beat the Giants, go Giants.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:46 PM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

I hate the team not the players. Like I hate the lakers but I like Shaq and Kobe.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
I hate the team not the players. Like I hate the lakers but I like Shaq and Kobe.

Same here expect I just hate Kobe and Shaq lol.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

well, not a fan of kobe at all..but, i definitely like shaq. i like watching shaq play, but i don't like the lakers.

i like watching the skins offense, but i definitely dislike the team. i even like Ramsay