Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default Quincy Carter 2nd in passing yards!

With 589 yards as of right now, according to ESPNs Dan Patrick.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

good job qcar, we are proud of you, hey we are proud of you
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I never expected this from Quincy. It helps having 3 really good receivers. I seriously doubt he will stay 2nd all season, but I think he will continue putting up good yardage numbers with the 3 receivers he has at his disposable.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If Quincy can stay atleast top 15 i'm proud of him. Being 2nd in passing yards after every team has played twice is amazing to me. This guy Parcell's is the real deal. When do we see his effect on the running game? By the press conferences he has it looks as if he is proud of the running.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Quincy Carter 2nd in passing yards!

Actually now quincy has 8 straight games with 200+ passing yards.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't really care about the passing yards too much...it's great that he's leading the league in passing yards, but i want to see consistent improvements in his decision making
Old 09-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

What we saw last night was the ability to overcome extreme odds. I mean first overcoming a horrible throw to be at times very accurate. To finally deciding whether to throw run, pass or throw it away. Madden made a good point that he was throwing it to receivers in stride and only where they could catch it thats new for carter. The pass from carter to bryant at the end of the game was brilliant.

More importantly qcar has shown his ability to move the chains with this offense da boys lead the nfl in total offense. Know lets hope the cowboys are grounded and don't read their own headlines. In this parity driven NFL you never know what will happen. No one picked daboys including myself.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

jayc, carter hit alot of receivers in stride last night..more than i've ever seen before.

he showed the ability to move around and out of the pocket AND make good decisions..something that I haven't seen him do before.

it was a completely different quincy carter after the first pick that he threw
Old 09-16-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The <u>ONLY</u> thing I wan't Qok to be is consistent. If he can be consistent, then he can lead this team to wins. And that is what we all want.

BTW, props to Qok for being second in yards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

WHO WOULDA THUNK?! I just don't liek it when he starts to get out of the pocket. i was very suprised to hear Strahan tell the rookies to keep him in the pocket, he sees to be more consistent and less interceptions in the pocket.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quincy has always had a lot of yards before. Two things I like about Carter was his decision making during a scramble. When he chose to run forward, he just ran. No more throwing the ball into coverage. Another thing is his arm strength. Anyone who says he doesn't have the arm has got to be kidding. He's pretty accurate too hitting those out routes.

Go QCar!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

alright DOC, he's moved from Qspare up to Qok [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
sweet
Old 09-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

as promised Just211.......
Old 09-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #14
QCarFan
Golden Member

good job Quincy, keep up the good work!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
good job Quincy, keep up the good work!
This is at least the 10th post of this nature which really adds nothing to the discussion.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Did anyone realize that Quincy had his best game yardage wise in the rain? I didn't even think about it till' I just saw the highlights of the game again.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #17
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Good job QCar. I like Carter, I just never thought he is the long term answer. Prove me wrong, young fella. Consistency is the key for Carter. As good as he looked on Monday he can look just as bad pretty quick. I am going to give him 7-8 games before I jump on or off the bandwagon.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Even when Qok needs to improve in that areas, he is not the team per se -I'd like to see him moving more quick off the rival liners before throwing a bad pass or waste it to the floor. He could help to obtain more victories, but for instance, the Defense needs to improve a lot, the line and the secondary; they could help even more to get more wins.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #19
QCarFan
Golden Member

drbio, keep the negativity out of this thread, especially since you were one of the main bashers of the guy this time last week. This is our time to gloat, you did it now let us.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

CJK nailed it. "Consistency is the key" for Qok.

I hope he gets on a roll....ultimately, it would mean more Cowboy wins. I still do not see him as a long term option, but if he can play consistently and not be the reason the Cowboys lose, then let him play.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:36 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Let's be real here. He has had 1 good game this season. I'm not here to say he is the future qb of the Cowboys are any team in this league but he is going into the right direction is all i'm saying. I'm going to need more than 1 game to know whether or not this guy is the future but I will not take anything away from him. He has overcome alot of obstacles and I give him his props for that. How he got to were he is now is beyond me.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Let's be real here. He has had 1 good game this season. I'm not here to say he is the future qb of the Cowboys are any team in this league but he is going into the right direction is all i'm saying. I'm going to need more than 1 game to know whether or not this guy is the future but I will not take anything away from him. He has overcome alot of obstacles and I give him his props for that. How he got to were he is now is beyond me.
Good post. And the Qok questioners are not saying he can't be a serviceable QB either, but again, consistency is the key. If he shows the ability to be consistent, most all Cowboys fans will eventually embrace him as the starer. If he doesn't though, the bashing he has faced will likely increase from that in the past. Both sides use the same reference.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #23
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Good post. And the Qok questioners are not saying he can't be a serviceable QB either, but again, consistency is the key. If he shows the ability to be consistent, most all Cowboys fans will eventually embrace him as the starer. If he doesn't though, the bashing he has faced will likely increase from that in the past. Both sides use the same reference.

I use to be kind of big on how Quincy was getting bashed but let's face it, when you play qb in this league you get bashed. Look at what Mcnabb went through last week. Pure hell and he is a pro bowler. AS a matter of fact I think the Cowboys fans treat him farely well compared to what other fans around hte league do there qbs. I agree though. Consistency is the key here. Thats what i'm watiing for. Let's not forget that Quincy has done this before. He has showed us some of these flashes (Tennesee) before. This time around he not only came up huge in the clutch but put up 321 yards. That makes me want to see if this guy can do this again. Now wait. I'm not asking for another 321 yard performance. As a matter of fact i'm not asking for a 300 yard performance at all. I just want consistency. He throws a pick next game I want to see how he responds. I just want what everyone else on this board wants. Consistency.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 06:51 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Damn fine post FFM...Holy cow.

Knocked my socks off with that one. Well done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

After further review......

Dear goodness....damn fine post.

edit to add ----&gt; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Appreciate it Doc. A bit suprised but I appreciate it lol. I'm still stuck on Qok lol. It took me awhile to see if you were for real about that but it seems you are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

I've never not kept my word here have I? Pain in the ass sometimes sure, but I've never gone back on my word.

Qok until otherwise deserved. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #28
QCarFan
Golden Member

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, sleep with one eye open. Haha
Old 09-17-2003, 07:08 PM   #29
QCarFan
Golden Member

My last post was to MFF by the way
Old 09-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Use the quote feature...dear goodness.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #31
QCarFan
Golden Member

I forget sometimes Drbio, I am learning. Sue me
Old 09-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I wish I could sue you for the right to send you back to school.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I've never not kept my word here have I? Pain in the ass sometimes sure, but I've never gone back on my word.

Qok until otherwise deserved. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Lol we'll see.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #34
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Quincy's precision passing a stunner
Randy Galloway commentary

Eating crow and liking it:

It wasn't just the "good game" for Quincy Carter on the national stage Monday night. It also wasn't necessarily about such an improbable win, which is not meant to downgrade what the "W" meant to coach, team, quarterback, etc.

Even the oldest of the local old-timers is struggling this week to remember the Cowboys ever snatching victory from such an impossible predicament -- down three points, 11 seconds to play and receiving a kickoff that, if it's the usual knuckleball down the middle of the field, prevents a return and burns probably five precious seconds.

But there at the end of regulation, what if everything had gone right for the Giants?

Today, Quincy is still the local story. Positive, too.

It was almost as if DNA was necessary for positive proof this was Quincy Carter making the throws he made.

Accuracy. Accuracy. Accuracy.

The short stuff. The slants, the little out routes, the skinny post patterns. Repeatedly hitting receivers in stride. And doing so even while on the run.

Even the armchair amateur quarterback coach, meaning media and fans, knows none of the above has ever been on display from Quincy, not on a remotely consistent basis. Without it, he could never be the quarterbacking answer for the Cowboys, which I think this column has mentioned more than once. Well, that and several other items that made Q a waste of time for Big Bill.

But Monday night, out of nowhere, that was a real quarterback skillfully at work. Even with the occasional wounded duck, he was making the toughest throws, and the throws a quarterback has to be able to make to keep possessions alive and to maximize scoring chances.

The Giants' defense took away what was thought to be Quincy's one possible strength -- the deep ball. Carter was invited to beat the Giants underneath. It was a sound and logical strategy, until, that is, Carter became Mr. Accuracy.

Nine of 25 completions went for 20 yards or more, the longest 27. Even those, however, were catch-and-run throws. Short completions that produced added yardage. The average on his 25 completions was a solid 13 yards, moving the chains. Very good stuff.

The obvious concern is with all that offense, and with Q throwing for 321 yards, there was only one offensive touchdown. And despite two games of over 400 yards total offense, there have been three offensive TDs.

But first things first. The end zone will come if Carter continues his Monday-night performance. A big if, yes, but still, a new starting point has been established.

"I like Quincy Carter," John Madden says on TV late in the game.

Because the Cowboys are not exactly a MNF regular, Madden was not working the telecast with a vast mental portfolio of Q the quarterback. What John saw was easy to like. None of us had seen that before.

Including Parcells, by the way.

Private media sessions with Parcells are not allowed by Bill, unless, of course, it's the Monday night duo of Madden and Al Michaels. They told on the telecast of a Sunday night sit-down with Parcells.

Asked about his timetable for turning around the Cowboys, they said Parcells told them he had no clue. "Depends on Quincy Carter," he said. "If he can play, the turnaround will be shorter. It not, it will be a long, long time."

But the kicker was when the big-time TV guys said Parcells added, "I will know in six or seven games."

For those of us locally who had been wondering about the short leash Bill had on Quincy, we had our answer. Six or seven games. After Monday night, however, Carter just bought himself more time.

New York friends of Bill who had talked to him before the New York return reported he sounded less optimistic about the Cowboys situation than they had heard him in previous coaching stops.

Just a guess, but maybe that quarterback thing had him baffled. If so, Parcells must be feeling better this week.

As a side note to all this, Parcells wasn't the only Cowboys coach coming back to the Meadowlands. It got little media play, but assistant head coach/quarterback coach/passing game coordinator (whew) Sean Payton once appeared to have some deep Giants roots. But those roots were yanked when head coach Jim Fassell removed Payton as his play-caller last season and took over those duties himself. The Giants' offense suddenly became more productive.

In the off-season, Payton ended up with Parcells at Valley Ranch.

So let's see here -- Payton is the QB coach and the passing-game coordinator, and suddenly Carter was a better quarterback and better passer than we've ever seen, plus the Cowboys won the game in a huge upset. Seems like to me that Mr. Payton got the last laugh.

Do understand that Parcells' staff is off limits to the media grunts, so whatever Payton's role has been with Carter will have to go without explanation from the assistant coach. But something was different. Very different, and very much improved. Carter did things with his arm he wasn't considered gifted enough to do.

Wednesday at Valley Ranch, Quincy talked fondly of Payton and offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon. But he credited offensive assistant coach David Lee, another newcomer to the staff and also a newcomer to the NFL, as the guy who has worked extensively with him on his throwing fundamentals. The emphasis from Lee, who has 27 years of college coaching experience, has been on improving accuracy.

Whatever or whomever, the same old quarterbacking pup we thought we knew showed some new tricks Monday night.

Randy Galloway's Galloway & Co. can be heard weekdays 3-6 p.m. on ESPN/103.3 FM.

rgalloway@star-telegram.com

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #35
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Wow. Good stuff Jay. I wouldn't expect anything like this from Randy Galloway. I know he is loving that crow. He loves Quincy one year and the next he thinks he is dirt. I'll say one thing though, he isn't afraid to eat the crow.

1996-2005
Old 09-18-2003, 09:14 PM   #36
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Good job Quincy! You're gaining respect every game! KEEP IT GOING!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote