Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best Safeties in the Game

Is Roy William up there or does he have to work on his game more? After watching the giants I thought he should have not been put in a position to cover WR's. He work best near the line of scrimmage.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

All I know is, keep an eye out for Ken Hamlin - the rookie out of Arkansas playing for the seahawks. He's already had a ton of highlight reel hits. Dude's a badass.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

first week, had 5 hits that jarred balls loose..
second week, forced three turnovers... the guy's a stud
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Best Safeties in the Game

Roy Williams has done nothing great in the NFL yet. I would not put him up there. He was very good in College and thats it.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I've been wondering this season if Roy Williams isn't a bit overrated. He's tough and tackles incredibly well, but his coverage skills are still underdeveloped.

I think he'll be great; however, I don't think he's there yet.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

his coverage skills were a bit overrated coming out of college. i'm not saying that he doesn't have the ability, but he hasn't necessarily shown it yet

and no, i'm not overreacting based upon one week
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

It's hard for me to rank a second year pro in the NFL. I mean the guy has alot to learn and alot of work to do. He will get there eventually. As a matter of fact last season in his rookie season he was rated a top 10 safety. Roy will get there with Woody on his side. It just takes time.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Ken Hamlin named NFC Defensive player of the week... woo pig!
Hamlin
Old 09-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Ken Hamlin named NFC Defensive player of the week... woo pig!
Hamlin

Billy Cundiff was special teams player of the weak in the NFC. Come on now lol. You could've said that lol.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

hehe...yeah, sorry 'bout that FFM! :-)
Old 09-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #11
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Is it too late in Roy's carreer to move him to LB. (joke) That dude is stacked. He looks kinda fat, but when you see his arms, he is pumped up. I'm an Oklahoma State fan, and I learned to hate Ro Williams over the years, but I have all the respect for him and now he is a Dallas Cowboy (the second best Cowboy you can be) and I have learned to live with him. His coverage skills were exposed during the Giants game, but damn that boy can hit. He was known as a playmaker comming out of college and we saw some of that last year. We will see more as his career as a Cowboy continues. Is he a top 10 safety? Not yet. Let the kid play some. Don't put too many expectations on him yet. He will be solid for many years. That's all you can hope for. And maybe, just maybe, he will turn out to be one of those special players. We just don't know yet, but we do see flashes of it sometimes.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

No problem Ocelot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If Roy isn't a top 10 safety yet, who is ahead of him? I don't keep up with every team in the NFL but I know 2 safety's who I like better than Roy and that is Mike Brown and Lawyer Milloy. I'm sure there are a list of the m but none come to mind right now. Is Rod Woodson still considered a pro bowler?

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2003, 11:56 PM   #13
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All I know is, keep an eye out for Ken Hamlin - the rookie out of Arkansas playing for the seahawks. He's already had a ton of highlight reel hits. Dude's a badass.

Ocelot_ ark I saw Ken Hamlin play, and he's a beast out there in the backfield. He's already helped turn around the Seattle defense and is turning them into one of the hardest hitting defenses in the league. Great Player
Old 09-20-2003, 12:38 AM   #14
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
Quote:

Ocelot_ ark I saw Ken Hamlin play, and he's a beast out there in the backfield. He's already helped turn around the Seattle defense and is turning them into one of the hardest hitting defenses in the league. Great Player
Yeah, I was pretty bummed to learn he left arkansas after just his junior season. He sure would have helped their solidify their already stacked secondary. Like I told U2, he's one of my all time favorite razorbacks. You always kept an eye on him just waiting for a receiver to be decleated.