Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dela Hoya vs Mosley - Game day thread

Who Will win?
Mosley express not on track yet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Tim Graham
Special to ESPN.com

There was a time when everybody was aboard the Sugar Shane Mosley Express.
Shane Mosley, right, handed Oscar De La Hoya a loss, but ring life has changed for each since then.

It was happily chugging through boxing history, conducted by a fighter bound to be listed among the greatest to lace up a pair of Everlasts.

But something happened on the way to that place.

The Sugar Shane Mosley Express derailed like Ozzy Osbourne's rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Non-stop service from Mosley's home in Pomona, Calif., to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, N.Y., came to a lurching halt in pugilistic purgatory.

The wreckage still hasn't been cleaned up -- or at least no one has seen proof of it yet.

Mosley hasn't won a fight in 25 months, yet he'll try to get his career back on track Sept. 13 against WBC and WBA junior middleweight champ Oscar De Le Hoya at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

Three summers ago, Mosley was the mayor of Fist City. He had beaten De La Hoya, one of the biggest attractions boxing has ever seen, on a split decision for the WBC welterweight title.

Mosley was unquestionably worthy of his legendary nickname. He was viewed as nothing less than perfect. He was undefeated, fast, powerful. He was a splendid gentleman and family man.

But two dumbfounding losses to Vernon Forrest kicked Mosley square in the caboose. The praise, once thunderous in his ears, could only be heard in the echoes of his memory. His supporters vanished quicker than they had appeared.

"The bandwagon riders," as Mosley calls them, leapt from the Sugar Shane Express without remorse.

And Mosley was the one feeling jilted.

"Shane is a really good kid and a really good person," Mosley's new promoter, Gary Shaw, said. "He spent years fighting and having people say real nice things about him, and he has nothing to say about anybody negatively.

"What really hurts Shane is -- I don't know if it's jumping off the bandwagon -- but feeling abandoned because Shane was still the same Shane whether he won in the ring or lost in the ring. I think he felt that a lot of the riders -- a lot of the media -- were not the same or didn't feel the same about him."

Welcome to the real world, Shane, where everything isn't always lollipops, puppy dogs and the Olsen twins.

Six days before the big rematch, Mosley will turn 32. That's old enough to know how business, especially this one, works. Yet it appears the chip on his shoulder -- even though he refuses to admit it's even there -- is affecting his common sense.

In a recent teleconference Mosley spoke plainly about many topics. He discussed his unwavering self-confidence, his renewed commitment to performing like he used to and his conviction about beating De La Hoya "in spectacular fashion."

But that was the sugarcoated version of Mosley's mind-set. Considerable bitterness bubbled below the surface, an animosity that apparently has become the new coal for his engine.

Shaw prefaced the teleconference by informing reporters they would not be allowed to ask Mosley about his purse, which is a fraction of De La Hoya's.

Mosley, seemingly oblivious to the fact De La Hoya is one of only two boxers with mainstream popularity, had been outspoken about the substantial discrepancy.

"I didn't want to take the (rematch) because I felt I was being ripped off," Mosley had been quoted as saying. Pound for pound list
Tim Graham's top 15:
De La Hoya (36-2, 29 KOs) will rake in around $23 million after the HBO Pay-Per-View receipts are counted.

Mosley (38-2, 35 KOs) is guaranteed $4.5 million with a pay-per-view potential of $9 million. There has been a $500,000 side purse set up for Mosley if he wins.

"Ripped off," eh? If it weren't for De La Hoya's hunger for revenge the nearest Mosley would get to this kind of scratch would be if Ed McMahon rang his doorbell.

The only time Mosley became animated during his teleconference was when he was asked to contemplate what has gone wrong over the past two years and the subsequent fallout he experienced.

Mosley refused to admit he was resentful, but the tone of his voice betrayed him.

"Sometimes I think people are bandwagon riders," Mosley said. "That's what pisses me off. That's what gets me a little angry."

Then he still managed to turn the burning sentiment into a positive response.

"I really thank the bandwagon riders for this particular fight, this particular victory I'm about to get," Mosley said. "It made me go back to the drawing board and really dig in and look at my films and see what I haven't been doing that I used to do. It helped me be a better fighter and a better person."

Mosley has produced more children (two) than victories (one) over the past two years. In fact, he has executed only a handful of quality rounds since his last triumph, a third-round knockout of Adrian Stone in July 2001.

He won perhaps three rounds when he first fought Forrest in Jan. 2002. Forrest knocked him down twice in the second round and breezed to a unanimous decision. Forrest not only took Mosley's WBC welterweight belt, he also carved the first blemish into Mosley's sparkling record.

A fighter's first loss -- Mosley went undefeated in his first 38 matches -- is one of the most difficult setbacks any athlete can come back from. Yet Mosley foolishly accepted a rematch with Forrest only six months later rather than take an interim bout to restore his shaken confidence. Mosley didn't make the proper adjustments, and Forrest easily won another 12-round decision.

Mosley, who has always been trained by his father, Jack, then fought for the first time at 154 pounds against Raul Marquez in February. But the bout lasted only three rounds and was ruled a no contest after accidental head butts tore gashes over Marquez's eyes.

De La Hoya, meanwhile, rehabilitated his career since losing to Mosley. The Golden Boy basked in the afterglow of his Grammy-nominated CD and then won four straight fights, including three at 154 pounds, under new trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr.

De La Hoya ripped apart paper-face slugger Arturo Gatti. Then De La Hoya moved up in weight to beat then-junior middleweight champions Javier Castillejo and Fernando Vargas and faded warrior Yory Boy Campas. De La Hoya has logged 30 impressive rounds at 154 pounds compared to three ineffectual ones for Mosley.

That's enough to make Mosley a 2-to-1 underdog in Las Vegas.

Nevertheless, Sugar Shane has no doubt he will powder his old foe again.

He even went so far as to call De La Hoya "a stepping stone to get me back to the top." It must have been the first time De La Hoya has ever been referred to in such terms.

"I don't think that anybody ... I don't think that anybody right now can beat me in that ring Sept. 13," Mosley said. "My self-esteem, my belief in myself will never drop. I always feel like I'm the best -- no matter what. When I go into the ring it feels like I can beat anybody in there. It doesn't matter who steps in there with me."

Mosley denied the notion that being too confident cost him against Forrest, a fighter who has since been upset in successive bouts with Ricardo Mayorga.

"I wasn't getting cocky," Mosley said of his recent inability to win. "I'm not that type of person. I was comfortable with being able to hit people whenever I wanted to and knock them out instead of using defense as well as your offense. I'm so much faster than a lot guys. I can hit them so easily until you can get a little lackadaisical and say 'I can hit him before he hits me,' and then you don't really move. Instead of moving and firing like you're supposed to, you just kind of hit him first and knock him out -- until you get into the ring with somebody you have to move with."

Tuh-MAY-toe, tuh-MAH-toe. The above words sure appear to be a description of over-confidence to me.

In actuality the only reason Mosley should have a sliver of self-assurance over De La Hoya right now is a three-year-old result that wasn't unanimous.

De La Hoya made corrections since his last defeat, firing trainers Gil Clancy and Roberto Alcazar in favor of Mayweather.

"I'll be different this time," De La Hoya said. "He couldn't beat Forrest because he didn't change. He didn't make adjustments after the first fight. I'm not going to be the same Oscar."

I believe De La Hoya.

Why? Because at some point he stopped pretending everything was OK and addressed his shortcomings. As a result his recent bouts have added to his legacy rather than detract from it.

The same can't be said for Mosley.

He thinks he sees the light at the end of his tunnel. But to me it looks like a freight train with a load of momentum barreling from the opposite direction.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Dela Hoya vs Mosley - Game day thread

I would want De la Hoya wins.

But Mosley defeated him already and even though Mosley lost with Forrest and hasn't won in 2 years, the fact is that he defeated Oscar before.

Then I'm not sure about the result tonight. Hope it's a good fight, anyway.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Dela hoya will win this. Mark my words. If not I will never post here. Maybe thats an overkill. But I will never talk about Boxing again. No wait. Okay I will officially join the bradley and nellie support club.

Edit: I am not gonna join bradley or nellie fan club. I got cheated. Oscar won this. BS

Old 09-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Dela hoya will win this. Mark my words. If not I will never post here. Maybe thats an overkill. But I will never talk about Boxing again. No wait. Okay I will officially join the bradley and nellie support club.
Hehehe, I watched a comedy show last week where a girl said she was going to attend church every Sunday FOREVER since she had promised to do it if got a job. She got the job and her boyfriend was complaining about the promise cause they couldn't find time to see each other. Then she said something like, "..., anyway, 4 weeks will be fine for forever".
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I hope Mosley knocks him out. Somehow I can´t stand the golden boy. But DeLaHoya looked very sharp in his last fight and Mosley hasn´t won in a while so it will be very tough for him. I expect DeLaHoya to win but I hope he doesn´t.

The fight is about to start. Anyone else watching live?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Here.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Already started. Let's get it on!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

I don't expect a KO.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Very good first round. They both were very fast and landed good punches.

Maybe a tie.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:29 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

HBO gave it to De la Hoya.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Cool. I was tempted to pay-per-view but $49 sounded little too much.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:32 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Second wasn't that good but finished good.

For De la Hoya I think. Mosley was more hesitant.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 1
De La Hoya misses two jabs, and Mosley circles to his left. Oscar steps in with good jab to the body. They are circling one another looking for openings. Good triple jab from Oscar though none land. Double jab from Oscar, then a good 1-2 that glances off Shane's head. Oscar throws a pair of double jabs and seems to be trying to fight more like Vernon Forrest than his old style. Nice jab and right to body by Shane, and Oscar lands a right cross clean in return. Tight action thus far. Mosley nails Oscar with a big hook as Oscar comes in and briefly wobbles him. Oscar fires a big hook that partially lands and elicits cheers from the crowd. Mosley tries the jab right to the body combo again and lands a good body shot. They're both being cautious and boxing tightly.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:36 PM   #14
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 2
They trade hooks to open the round, both landing. There's a clinch and both men maul shots inside to little effect. Mosley tries the jab-body combo and Oscar blocks it partially. A good double jab from Oscar moves Shane back. Oscar misses a right lead. They're posing and trying to find opening, leading with stiff jabs. Nice one two from Oscar to the body. Double jab from Oscar once more, and it's effective in backing Mosley up enough to prevent him from countering. They're exclusively in the center of the ring. Nice right to body from Oscar, and he misses a three punch combination as Mosley counters with a right.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:36 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

3rd.

Mosley attacked more and had a good combination. Not clear but maybe for Mosley.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Sheesh!

Heads hit.

De la Hoya is blooding.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

The four for Mosley.

Tied up, 2-2.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

De la Hoya closed tough. Maybe for him.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #19
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 3
Big hook from Oscar to open the round. Shane is stalking and seems to look a little confused as to how to attack Oscar. Low left by Mosley gets a warning from Joe Cortez. Nice counter hook by Shane drives Oscar back, and Oscar fires a solid left back as payback. It's heating up. Good jab from Oscar. He's moving after throwing and Mosley is unable to counter as he did in the first fight. Very little action now, as they circle one another, each moving to his left. Mosley is juking and feinting trying to let something go but he's having to reach and isn't landing when he does let go to the head. Mosley lands a good right to the body and Oscar moves away. Double jab from Oscar. Mosley clubs Oscar with a good body shot at round's end.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #20
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 4
Triple jab from Mosley is countered by right from De La Hoya. Big right to body from Shane and Oscar counters with hard left hook. There's a head butt that draws a stoppage from Cortez, it's ruled accidental, and Oscar is bleeding from Oscar's right eye. De La Hoya is moving again and trying to set up his power shots behind the jab. Good body shot from Mosley but Oscar comes back with a hook to Shane's midsection. Shane ducks under a combo from Oscar and Oscar fires a solid one two that lands. They trade in close and Oscar lands a pair of vicious hooks and Mosley digs back to Oscar's ribs. De La Hoya slips a leaping hook from Shane and counters with a jab. Oscar misses a one two but Mosley ducks under and does not counter. Oscar blocks a hook from Shane. Shane is not landing many punches and Oscar is doing just a little more to take another round.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #21
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

dela hoya leading 4-0
Old 09-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 5
Borderline left to body from Oscar to open the round. Good right from Oscar, and Mosley counters with a hard shot as they trade heavy bombs. Mosley misses a 1-2 and Oscar pushes him away. Nice right to body from Shane. Oscar leads with the hook and Shane blocks it. Not much action this round as Oscar is boxing and refuses to trade. Nice hook from Shane. De La Hoya is not jabbing as much but seems to be leading with power shots more often. Nice 1-2 to the ribs from Oscar and Mosley slams a hook to Oscar's head. Oscar seems to be willing to trade. The 10-second warning! They are trading hard blows.

Mosley's round 10-9.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #23
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Dela Hoya leading 4-1 after five rounds
Old 09-13-2003, 10:49 PM   #24
Chiwas
Guru

The 6th seems for De la Hoya too cause he lands more punches, many jabs, although Mosley looks less tired.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

The 7th also for De la Hoya, for sure.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 6
Mosley fires a big hook cross that Oscar partially blocks but it's his best offense attempt so far. Big hook to body from Oscar. Oscar is letting Shane come forward and making him solve the distance between them. Mosley is juking, feinting and trying to bait Oscar into something but Oscar won't bite, instead of smacks a left hook home to the midsection that lands with a resounding thump. Cortez breaks the action to re-tape Oscar's glove. Nice hook once more to body by Oscar double jabs and then lands a right hand counter at round's end.

Oscar's round 10-9.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #27
Chiwas
Guru

"Mosley is confused" HBO
Old 09-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #28
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 7
They trade jabs, but Oscar moves away refusing to exchange. Big hook from Oscar. Mosley misses an overhand right and Oscar ducks under another cross. They tie up on the ropes and Oscar moves to the center of the ring and resumes boxing. Oscar ties Shane up twice to smother attacks. Mosley is not getting off, and Oscar seems to be taking over the fight when they are at long range. Nice combination from Shane and Oscar fires back. The best exchange of the round. Sharp right lead from Oscar and he fires a combo that misses but Shane is too busy slipping punches to fire back.

Oscar's round 10-9.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

Ugly 8th.

Can't say who won it. Both lost it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #30
Chiwas
Guru

They said for Mosley.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

Mosley looking good through the 9th.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #32
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 8
Nice overhand right from Shane but Oscar doesn't budge. Mosley seems confused before the round as Jack Mosley tells him to stay on his toes, and that he's losing the fight. Cortez warns Mosley for roughhousing. They trade jabs that miss. Mosley lands a right to the body and Oscar fires a crisp cross in return a moment later. Mosley seems more aggressive now and willing to take chances. Perhaps he seems the fight slipping away from him. Shane lands a stiff jab and Oscar fires a right back.

Oscar's round 10-9.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #33
Chiwas
Guru

Oscar looks bust.

Clearly for Mosley.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #34
Chiwas
Guru

6 rounds to 3.

Mosley needs to win the 3 remaining
Old 09-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #35
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

According to me oscar is winning 7-1. So, it does not matter from now unless mosley knocks oscar.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 9
Big hook from Oscar countering a missed hook from Shane. Mosley lands a good shot and Oscar lands a big hook in return. Five good body shots from Oscar, and Mosley lands a good hook. Oscar is nailed with a big right hand and may have been hurt. Mosley hits him with another right to the body. Oscar seems a little dazed. Another hook from Mosley. Huge hook from Mosley and Oscar lands a monster hook to the body at the same time. It's the best round so far! Shane misses a sweeping left hook. Good double right from Shane to the body and head, and Oscar is slowing down a little. They trade savage body shots at the end of the round. Mosley's best round so far.

Mosley's round 10-9.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #37
Chiwas
Guru

Tough round to score, the 10th. Started slow, closed very good.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:05 PM   #38
Chiwas
Guru

Mosley needs to knock Oscar, yes.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:07 PM   #39
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

ROUND 10
They trade hooks, Mosley to the body and Oscar to the head, both landing hard. Neither man moves back, though, or seems rocked. Big hook from Shane and Oscar moves back. Big right to body from Shane and Oscar misses a left in return. Big hook from Oscar after Mosley lands another right to the body. Mosley is moving now and looks like his old self. Shane blocks a big hook and fires back, but Oscar nails him hard with his best combo in the last couple rounds.

Oscar's round 10-9
Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 PM   #40
Chiwas
Guru

Excelent 11th!

Surely for Oscar but Mosley fought back pretty well.