Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-17-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default college running backs to keep an eye on

Some good ones will be available in the first two rounds. I like Gore from Miami. He doesn't have the body or upside that McGahee has, but he is shifty and gets up the field. A Vince Wilfork in the first round and a Gore in the second round would be mighty nice as of now.
Juniors and seniors drawing attention
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN
Tuesday, September 16
Updated: September 17
9:41 AM ET

When talking about football at any level, a common thread among winning teams is a steady, consistent rushing attack. For the most part, if a team can't run the football it can't win, which was proven out once again last Saturday.

In Arkansas' huge upset victory over Texas, the Razorbacks picked up 265 yards on the ground while the Longhorns were held in check, finishing with just 62 yards rushing. Georgia rolled over South Carolina, rushing for 165 yards compared to 111 yards for the Gamecocks and the Bulldogs averaged just under 5.0 yards per carry while South Carolina picked up just 3.0 yards per attempt.

In Ann Arbor, Michigan rushed for 133 yards in its 38-0 route of Notre Dame and controlled the Irish all day, limiting them to 25 yards on the ground. USC's overland attack posted 164 yards and a 5.0 yard average against Hawaii but allowed just 63 yards to the Warriors. To emphasize the point, Hawaii threw for 399 yards compared to 254 yards for the Trojans.

The most lopsided matchup of all was in Lincoln, where Nebraska rushed for 337 yards in an 18-10 victory over Penn State, compared to 44 yards for the Nittany Lions.

With the ground game usually determining wins and losses, you can rest assured the NFL brass are keeping a close eye on some of the high profile senior and junior running backs who are eligible for the 2004 Draft.

Seniors

Cedric Cobbs and Arkansas banged through the Texas defense last weekend.
Cedric Cobbs, Arkansas -- Even though he's splitting time with sophomore De'Arrius Howard, you have to take notice of a talented big back like Cobbs. Against Texas, he rushed for 115 yards on 20 carries, showcasing breakaway ability on a 6-0¼, 224-pound frame.

Greg Jones, Florida State -- Jones leads the way among seniors despite the fact that Georgia Tech's swarming defense thwarted the Seminoles last weekend, limiting FSU to just 91 total yards rushing and under a 3.0 yard per carry average. Jones was contained the entire way, finishing with just 14 yards rushing.

Bruce Perry, Maryland -- Perry burst onto the national scene in a major way in 2001, leading the ACC with 1,242 yards and scoring 10 TDs while averaging 5.7 yards per carry. Injuries held him back in 2002 and early this season, though, making durability a real concern.

Chris Perry, Michigan -- Perry is in the Heisman Trophy mix after an impressive start to the 2003 campaign. The hard-nosed 6-0½, 224-pounder is averaging just under 7.0 yards per carry on the year, has scored seven TDs and is currently the Wolverines second-leading receiver with 10 catches out of the backfield.

Michael Turner, Northern Illinois -- Turner was held in check for the most part against Maryland, averaging just 3.0 yards per carry, but he then posted 134 yards and scored two touchdowns against Division I-AA Tennessee Tech. Turner, who went over the 200-yard mark five times against MAC opposition last season, has a chance to showcase his talents in a spotlight game this week against Alabama.

Juniors and third-year sophomores
Cedric Benson, Texas -- Benson has a ton of ability but needs more assistance from the guys up front. This was especially true against Arkansas over the weekend, when he was limited to just 27 yards on 13 carries.

Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams, Auburn -- Thus far, Williams and Brown have been limited in terms of production, but the problem has been the inability of the Auburn offensive line to consistently gain the necessary movement. Williams presents the flash, while Brown impresses with his tackle-breaking ability and intensity. Remember, great backs want to be fed the football and get better as the game goes along, but the problem at Auburn is that the Tigers have a host of quality ballcarriers in addition to Williams and Brown. Juco transfer Brandon Jacobs actually led the Tigers in rushing against Vanderbilt on Saturday, while sophomore Tre Smith also contributes when called upon.

Anthony Davis, Wisconsin -- Davis has been college football's most productive running back over the last two years. He's coming off a 2002 season that saw him rush for 1,555 yards, average 5.2 yards per carry and score 13 TDs, following up a 1,446-5.0-11 season in '01. How is that for consistency? Unfortunately, Davis went down with an ankle injury against UNLV last Saturday, finishing with just two carries for 11 yards. But the compact 5-8, 197-pounder shows outstanding vision and balance with the ball and is extremely difficult to knock off his pins.

Frank Gore, Miami -- Gore, in his third year in the program but only a sophomore in terms of eligibility, is back to his old form after a knee injury cost him all of the 2002 season. Firmly entrenched as the Hurricanes featured back, Gore is averaging 5.5 yards per carry and is tied for the team lead with 10 receptions.

Cedric Houston, Tennessee -- With Tennessee coming off an open date, Houston will be looking to build on his strong early showing for the Vols. Heading into their battle at Florida this Saturday, Houston has totaled 321 yards in UT's first two games while averaging a super-impressive 7.1 yards per carry.

Steven Jackson, Oregon State -- Jackson will remind you of the Miami Dolphins' Ricky Williams with both his No. 34 jersey and his combination of size, speed and strength. Against New Mexico State on Saturday, the physically gifted 6-2, 230-pounder rushed for 164 yards on 35 carries, while also finishing with three receptions out of the backfield.

Kevin Jones, Virginia Tech -- Jones has yet to post Heisman-type numbers, but keep in mind that he left the Sept. 6 game against James Madison with a hand injury.

Eric Shelton, Louisville -- Shelton is quietly putting together an exceptional campaign, but don't forget that at one point early in his college career the powerful 6-2, 244-pounder was considered a budding star at Florida State. After sitting out the 2002 season following his transfer he's putting on a show. A rugged, powerful and athletically gifted performer, Shelton turns heads with his quickness and natural running instincts. He's one of the key reasons the Cardinals are 2-0 thus far, averaging 5.8 yards every time he touches the football. Against Syracuse last Saturday, he finished with 135 yards on 24 carries.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: college running backs to keep an eye on

I am still holding out hope for Benson... but he has looked horrible so far. I am just about ready to hand the reigns to Young.

Especially if he cannot run against Rice.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:38 PM   #3
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I am still holding out hope for Benson... but he has looked horrible so far. I am just about ready to hand the reigns to Young.

Especially if he cannot run against Rice.
Benson was a good HS back but unfortunately he will never be anything more than average IMO.
Also I'm sad to say that it looks like Young is more of a 3rd down back.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:07 AM   #4
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

As I watched the Michigan - Notre Dame game, I fell in love with Chris Perry. I am hoping the Cowboys are able to select him. He's the guy I have my sights on right now for the Cowboys.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
As I watched the Michigan - Notre Dame game, I fell in love with Chris Perry. I am hoping the Cowboys are able to select him. He's the guy I have my sights on right now for the Cowboys.
I really like Perry too. If the Cowboys could get him it would be great.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #6
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: college running backs to keep an eye on

From the 'Boys to the 'Boys - Tatum Bell. 5th in the NCAA.

After 3 games: 65 carries for 445 yds w/ a 6.8 yds/carry average and 7 TD's.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote