Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-18-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default looking WAY ahead

obviously, there's no telling where the cowboys will be drafting, but i can imagine it'll be a top 10 pick.

what position would you like to fill in the draft as of right now...
personally, with a #1 pick, i'd look for a pass rusher
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #2
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: looking WAY ahead

If there is a stud pass rusher out there, yes go for him but I wouldn't mind a O-Linemen. I think we also may have to look for a safety if one good enough is available, Woody has obviouly lost a step. And a running back would be good too, darn so many different positions needs to be filled, or upgraded anyway.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:18 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i can possibly see picking up a safety later in the draft. but, i can't see that being a main need. i think woody's got a few good years left in him

anyways, you can never have enough o-linemen. obviously, at RB, hambrick is a question mark....but, i'd lean for a pass rushing defensive end if possible.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

DE, HB, and QB.
Whoever is rated the highest out of those 3
Old 09-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

i'm not big on drafting HB's early in the first round..i think that it's too easy to find quality in the second and third rounds..but, that's just my opinion.

sure, from time to time, someone special comes along that you can't afford to pass up at the HB position
Old 09-18-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I want a stud RB (Perry from Michigan, maybe) or pass rushing DE (Pollack from UGA, possibly). Those are our necessities going into the draft. Anything else is a luxury. If one of those spots isn't filled with our first round pick, then there better have been nobody good on the board at those positions.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:31 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

i wish the cowboys wouldn't have spent so much money on the smaller linebackers..

and, obviously, the jury is out at the QB spot still
Old 09-18-2003, 12:36 AM   #8
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the jury is out on Quincy, still. However, I am very hesitant to take a QB in the first round. There have been too many busts, and I don't really want to waste a first rounder. Plus, even if the pick were to pan out, it would take him 2 - 3 years to develop to a point where he could lead us to a Super Bowl. If Quincy doesn't pan out, then I would hope we could pick up a QB via free agency.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

sure, i can understand that.
honestly, i'd look for a DE first off..
Old 09-18-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt, the number one hole on this team is a pass rusher. I there's one worth taking, I don't hesitate. If not I go for a Running Back. We have serviceable. I want a star. I agree that you can get a good back past the first round. Priest Holmes and Clinton Portis come to mind. There are also a number of teams that have taken runners in the 1st round and not regretted it.

Edgarin James
Ricky Williams
Duece McAllister
LaDanian Tomlinson
Jamal Lewis

I love Greg Jones from FSU. How can you not after the blow he dealt to that N.C. safety. The perfect blend of power and speed.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:06 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Saints regretted taking Ricky Williams in the 1st round. Miami is happy that they did it though.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:28 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

dirno, sure..you can pick up a great runner in the first round..but, it's alot like the QB position. there seems to be alot of busts up top early as well.

however, overall, i think the running back position is one of the easier positions to fill in the NFL. that's why i'd look to go with a pass rushing DE if there's one available

and yeah, i'm sure the saints do regret the williams deal. it was ridiculous to move that many draft picks for just about anyone.. williams could end up being one of the better running backs in the history of the game though
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look back at enough drafts, you can find bust and stars at every position in every round. QB's and RB's are the most memorable bust because they're usually the highest profile positions in the college game.

My positions of need in order:
Rush End
Defensive Tackle - don't trust blade yet
Running Back
Offensive Tackle
Linebacker
Tight End
Corner
Offensive Guard
Wide Receiver
Safety
Quarterback

I put QB last not because I like Quincy, but because if neither of our young QB's pan out, we'll sign a vet.

I'm torn between DT and RB. We need to run the ball better, but we also need to stop the run.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Mel Kiper's current 2004 Top 10 doesn't include a RB, but it does include lots of OL and a few DEs. I think those are the two spots we'd do best to look at. You can draft a runner in the 2nd round.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:50 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Mel Kiper's current 2004 Top 10 doesn't include a RB, but it does include lots of OL and a few DEs. I think those are the two spots we'd do best to look at. You can draft a runner in the 2nd round.
That will change 10-15 times between now and the draft. This time last year I don't think Mcgahee had propelled himself into the top 3 (barring injury). I don't know where we are going to draft. Before the year I picked 8-8 and I'll stick with that. My ranking list is based on the assumption that there is a player worthy of taking at that position.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

i'm not sure that i'd look for a DB unless there's just one that's too good to pass up. i think the 'boys defensive backs will prove to be a huge strength as the season wears on, and they'll prove to have nice depth in the defensive backfield as well.

gotta upgrade the d-line if possible..preferably the DE position. i'm not in love with the cowboys linebackers. i'd love to replace one of the small guys
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM   #17
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

It is another year of "best player available". The last 2 years, the 'boys have been in unique position of having players uniquely capable of dominating there positions immediately available high in the draft-Williams and Newman. You don't normally take safety and corner that high, but you couldn't pass them up.

This year, that is unlikely to happen and this team still has so many needs. we need linemen on both sides of the ball and just about every skill position except wide receiver. Still, if the next Randy Moss is sitting there at no. 10, I grab him.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

sure, dooby...obviously, i know you gotta go best player available unless you're absolutely loaded at the position. however, it's not nearly as fun to talk about the cowboys just drafting the best player available
Old 09-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that, Dooby. I think you're most likely to get a lineman (either offensive or defensive), and have always feared drafting RB's in the Top 10, but you have to take whoever the best player is when you get there.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:58 AM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If we've gotta pick, though, I'd like someone to replace Flozell Adams, and then my second choice would be someone to start opposite Greg Ellis at DE or alongside Glover at DT.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

if the cowboys had a rush DE to compliment glover...the cowboys defense "could" be scary good..
but, as long as the boys don't get much pressure on the QB, it'll be hard to make plays in the secondary AND be hard to stop teams when they're looking to throw late in games
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 AM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

We talk alot about defensive ends and pass rush. Which brings to mind a question. Maybe this is its own thread.

I think that it is obvious that if Jerry hadn't given Zimmer that extension last year, Parcells would have his own defensive coordinator. How long before Parcells gets tired of Zimmer's small, quick linebacker schtick and Parcells runs him out of town, where he can be Campo's DB coach?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:44 AM   #23
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Following up on KG's comment, this is NOT supposed to be a great year for either QB's or RB's. I think that the Cowboys have to look elsewhere in the first round of the draft and possibly solve the limitations at QB/RB through Free Agency or trade. I'd think that a DE would be a BIG priority...Eb will NEVER cut it.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
We talk alot about defensive ends and pass rush. Which brings to mind a question. Maybe this is its own thread.

I think that it is obvious that if Jerry hadn't given Zimmer that extension last year, Parcells would have his own defensive coordinator. How long before Parcells gets tired of Zimmer's small, quick linebacker schtick and Parcells runs him out of town, where he can be Campo's DB coach?
I agree. If Zimmer is smart he'll adapt to Parcells' philosophy pretty quick. Being a "Parcells guy" could do wonders for his career. Being a "Campo guy".......not as impressive.

As far as the linebackers, Ngyun only got a 2mil signing bonus. Not sure how many years it was spread out, but it wouldn't be cap suicide to cut him after the year. Cokely got i believe got 5.5mil in 2001. He's better though. If he produces, Bill will forget how short he is.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:28 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe we could trade them to Cleveland. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:30 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
If there is a stud pass rusher out there, yes go for him but I wouldn't mind a O-Linemen. I think we also may have to look for a safety if one good enough is available, Woody has obviouly lost a step. And a running back would be good too, darn so many different positions needs to be filled, or upgraded anyway.

I have to do some research but I am pretty sure o-line guys are not picked in the first round.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #27
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:

I have to do some research but I am pretty sure o-line guys are not picked in the first round.
I think there were if I remember correctly 5 OL drafted in the 1st round last year.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:24 AM   #28
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

haha you cant be serious mavsfanforever, yea I think it would be best if you did some research there bro. better yet, ill do it for you.

Caroline-Jordan Gross(OT)-8th-Utah
Denver-George Foster(OT)-20th-Georgia
Cleveland-Jeff Faine(C)-21st-Notre Dame
San Francisco-Kwame Harris(OT)-26th-Stanford

Buffalo-Mike Williams(OT)-4th-Texas
Minnesota-Bryant McKinnie(OT)-7th-Miami
Cincinnati-Levi Jones(OT)-10th-ASU
Chicago-Marc Colombo(OT)-29th-Boston College
Pittsburgh-Kendall Simmons(OG)-30th-Auburn

So they not only go in the 1st round, but some in the top 10(4 to be exact).
Old 09-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:

I could be wrong but I remember a guy by the name of Orlando Pace who was the 1st overall pick in a draft.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't keep up with college football so I couldn't honestly tell you if there were offensive lineman who are worthy of a first round pick.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

there's always O-lineman worth of a first round pick.. hell, every other year there's an o-lineman from the university of texas worth of a top 20 pick
Old 09-20-2003, 12:39 AM   #31
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I'd personally draft a RB in the first round, but a DE would do wonders for this team. 2 DE's that i keep hearing about are Will Smith from Ohio State and Claude Harriot from Pittsburgh they should be difference makers this year .

So far in this young college football season, 2 rb's i would love to have are Chris Perry from Michigan and Kevin Jones from Va Tech .
Old 09-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #32
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

the first rounder will be an impact DL. It is the crucial position missing on this team, and Bill will find it. IMO, the draft will be lineman heavy on both sides of the ball, and a RB (probably in the second) and a Safety and LB depth taken when valuable players are available.

Also Bill will probably spend the FA $ on a DL or two.

Also i think Hutch will be dealt for a pick. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But i'm hoping Quincy makes that possible.