Old 09-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stars sign Turco

Stars goalie Turco agrees to three-year contract
02:54 PM CDT on Thursday, September 18, 2003

Associated Press

DALLAS – Dallas Stars goalie Marty Turco, who missed the first week of training camp after rejecting an offer from the team, agreed to a new three-year contract Thursday.

A source familiar with the negotiations said that the three-year deal is worth $12 million, plus incentives. Those incentives are for advancing in the deep into the playoffs and/or if Turco should win one of the NHL's major individual awards.

Turco was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy last season, when he set a modern NHL record with his 1.72 goals against average. The Vezina is awarded to the league's top goalie. He was also an All-Star in his first season as the starter, finishing 31-10-10.

Turco had rejected a similar offer from the Stars last week and didn't report with the Stars to their training camp in Vail, Colo.

"I'm very happy to get this new contract completed," Turco said in a statement released by the team.

Turco will rejoin the team Friday night when the Stars return home for a preseason game against the New York Rangers.

After his record-setting regular season, Turco had a 1.88 GAA and a .919 save percentage in the playoffs. The Stars were eliminated in the second round by Anaheim.

Anaheim goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere last week signed a four-year contract worth about $5 million a season. Giguere won the Conn Smythe Trophy last season as playoff MVP.

Turco was selected by the Stars in the fifth round of the 1994 draft. He holds the NCAA record for 127 victories at Michigan, where he led his team to two national championships.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars sign Turco

I think Turco heard the threats that the Stars were going to trade him and decided that the offer was plenty.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars sign Turco

ya know..i don't blame the guy for holding out just a bit for more money..
but, when push came to shove, he folded..took the money

good for him..good for the stars
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stars sign Turco

12 million bucks plus incentives. How much is enough when yo uare dealing with those kinds of dollars?

You are probably right MFFL.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars sign Turco

how much is enough?..a couple hundred thousand would be enough to get me out of my job..i wouldn't mind minding net for the stars.

i can't skate..is that a problem?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road
Default Stars sign Turco

lol...i think skating might be a critical component in whether or not you are employed...also, in the rare times goalies join in on a fight, you'd want to be able to skate to the other end of the rink and kick the other goalie's butt!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars sign Turco

I am so glad he decided to sign. I didn't want it to get too ugly and there to be resentment.

I still think an NHL team somewhere should sign a humongously fat, super fat goalie that covers the entire goal. Just plop their bottoms into the net nice and snug. Heck, the guy could just sit there and eat and eat and eat all game, but nothing getting into the net. Of course, it would take the entire intermission to move him to the other net.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 08:00 PM   #8
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Stars sign Turco

You don't understand how relieved I am. This is the best for all sides. Preseason starts tonight. BRING ON THE AVS.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Stars sign Turco

Will preseason be shown on TV?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:11 PM   #10
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Stars sign Turco

I was starting to think we weren't gonna sign him. I'm glad they worked something out.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Stars sign Turco

Only one preseason game will be broadcast (locally only, I think, on FSN, but I don't remember which one). It's pretty annoying, there's no internet broadcast for them either. I'm doing the box score thing.

EDIT: BTW, here are the exact terms from Andrews:

Turco will get base salaries of $3.5 million, $4 million, then $4.5 million, plus performance-based bonuses. Those bonuses will come for things like winning the Stanley Cup and major awards.

EDIT again: 2-2 tie final OT. Barnes & Turgeon scored for us, & keep in mind the Avs played everyone including their starting goalie while Mo, Billy, Arnott, etc didn't play & Ellis & Cash were in goal. So a tie's pretty good.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #12
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default Stars sign Turco

I was thinking that this would be a long season if we had to start an old spare at G
Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stars sign Turco

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
12 million bucks plus incentives. How much is enough when yo uare dealing with those kinds of dollars?

12mil for three years is not much. Dominic is going to earn 8 mil in a one year contract. Also Cujo (Curtis Joseph's contract was 3 years 24 mil)

Old 09-19-2003, 09:59 AM   #14
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stars sign Turco

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio

12mil for three years is not much. Dominic is going to earn 8 mil in a one year contract. Also Cujo (Curtis Joseph's contract was 3 years 24 mil)
It's a lot when the guy has had ONE good season. Plus the economic climate in the NHL is going to change drastically when the new labor deal is hammered out. Think "new" NBA vs "old" NBA and you'll get a idea of the change that is coming.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #15
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Stars sign Turco

Us losing Hatcher makes our defense not as strong. If Turco would of left, it would'nt of helped anything.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:59 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Default Stars sign Turco

losing turco wouldn't have helped anything? ya think?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #17
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Default Stars sign Turco

The sarcastic Murph, gotta love him!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Default Stars sign Turco

actually, i made the comment because your statement of "Us losing Hatcher makes our defense not as strong. If Turco would of left, it would'nt of helped anything" appears to undersell the importance of Marty Turco in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Default Stars sign Turco

My bad, didn't mean to "undersell". But Turco is one of the biggest assests to our defense now that Hatcher has left the building. Turco will get more shots on him now, so we'll see how many he can stop.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:55 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Default Stars sign Turco

exactly..
he had a great save percentage last year...he'll be called on to do even more this year
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Default Stars sign Turco

I just hope he can keep it up in the playoffs. I thought that he didn't do so hot, especially against Anaheim.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Default Stars sign Turco

he was a good goaltender in the playoffs...but, in the playoffs, you have to stand on your head. he did not do that.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #23
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Default Stars sign Turco

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
he was a good goaltender in the playoffs...but, in the playoffs, you have to stand on your head. he did not do that.
What exactly do you mean?
Old 09-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Default Stars sign Turco

you have to shut the other team down..no weak goals