Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default 'Throw-in' from Mavericks becomes a keeper for Pacers

'Throw-in' from Mavericks becomes a keeper for Pacers

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com

Josh Powell was assumed by many to be merely a warm body to help make the salaries match when the Indiana Pacers acquired him in a trade with Dallas in July.

Before training camp began, however, he already had established himself as much more than that in the eyes of the front office members who hung out in the Conseco Fieldhouse practice gymnasium in August and September.

"It was clear to us that this guy is definitely a roster player in this league and very well could be a rotation player," coach Rick Carlisle said.

The Pacers weren't allowed the luxury of idle admiration, however. Powell's contract became guaranteed Sunday, forcing them to back their optimism with a commitment of nearly $750,000, his salary for this season.

Carlisle describes that as an easy decision. The Pacers will have to trade or release three players to get to the league limit of 15 heading into the season, but the 6-9 Powell seems safe.

The Pacers made a similar commitment to small forward Rawle Marshall, the other "throw-in" to the deal that brought Darrell Armstrong from the Mavericks for Anthony Johnson. Marshall, whose contract became guaranteed in August, also could stick with the team, but Powell appears to have a better chance because he plays a position of greater need.

Armstrong, who played one season with Powell in Dallas, compares him to Ben Wallace, although Powell shoots better. He proved that in the 37 games he played last season, hitting 80 percent of his 45 free throw attempts.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh draws a link to Miami's Udonis Haslem. Jermaine O'Neal, who played against Powell in several pickup games at the Fieldhouse, goes a step further.

"He's a better Udonis Haslem," O'Neal said. "He's a better offensive guy. He brings that same toughness, but he's a little taller and blocks a lot of shots."

Powell and Haslem are close friends. They once had the same agent, and worked out together in Clearwater, Fla., in the summer of 2003. They've kept in close contact since.

Neither minds the comparison.

"He can definitely contribute in a major way to somebody's team," Haslem said via telephone. "He's a real good athlete, gets on the boards relentlessly, has the ability to become a great defender and can knock down the 17-footer."

Sound like someone the Pacers could use? Either O'Neal or Al Harrington will start at power forward this season, but a player like Powell could find an important backup role on a team seeking toughness.

"I like his intensity," O'Neal said. "I think I hit him in the face by accident with my elbow about every day (in summer workouts) and he just bounced back up and kept playing hard."

Powell, like Haslem, went undrafted out of college and played in Europe before signing with an NBA team. The difference is that Haslem played all four years at the University of Florida while Powell left North Carolina State after his sophomore season.

There's strong sentiment around the NBA that Powell probably would have been a first-round pick had he exhausted his college eligibility. That's what friends and family members encouraged him to do, but he has no regrets. Playing two seasons in Europe -- mostly in Italy -- helped both his game and his outlook.

"Even though I took a harder road, it made me a better person," said Powell, who was an honor roll student as a freshman at N.C. State.

"I've always been hungry and humble, but that made it more realistic. It's tough. You've got to be on the bus for five or six hours. You're not flying everywhere. You don't have a bunch of trainers taking care of you. It's a humbling situation. Guys over here don't know how good they have it."

He hopes to stick around long enough to remind them.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote