Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas Stars (Dallas Stars' AHL affiliate) in the Calder Cup Finals

Perhaps nobody really cares, but the Texas Stars--the Dallas Stars' affiliate in the AHL--just made the Calder Cup finals. The Stars are in their first season and play down here in Austin in a brand-new facility that looks a hell of a lot like a miniature version of the AAC. They won their second consecutive road Game 7 to win the Western Conference. They'll play the defending champion Hershey Bears for the championship.

Hershey has home ice, so Games 3, 4, and 5 will be here. Should be fun.

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/home/

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I care a great deal.

We're having a little discussion at Defending Big D tonight (and every other night.)

I've been following the action at @Defendingbigd (twitter)

I went down there last weekend (review here)

And you can check out my friend Stephen's blog Hundred Degree Hockey here.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and btw...F YEAH.

This has been quite a fun thing to follow, and that crowd down there and that new building is fantastic. If you live down there, I recommend you get to a game.

Though, the Bears should probably kill them pretty badly. But they're playing with house money now, and have been for a while. It's a wildly successful first year in existence for the Texas Stars.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, were you at Game 4 of the WCF? I was there too. Nice coincidence. That was the first game I've been to and it was awesome. Plus you gotta love $1 dogs and $2 beers.

I plan to go to all 3 games of the finals (assuming Game 5 happens). Ideally if the Stars are going to win, I'd love for it to happen in 4 or 5 (obviously a huge huge longshot). It would be an absolute blast to celebrate with the trophy there.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am going to try my (darndest) to make it back down for game 5, assuming there is one. My schedule is already tough with work and the baby (and my wife) and whatnot.

I think I might skip the press box this time and buy a seat, though.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
LonghornDub

We were in the 3rd to last row and it's still so close, the view was incredible. You should definitely move to the seats. We were behind the goal where Benn scored his first goal, which was a thing of beauty.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
LonghornDub

BTW, nice writeup on Game 4, and your friend's blog is cool. I didn't know about that Defending Big D site, either.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Time and other stuff being what it is, I haven't been able to follow anything live. Just catching the updates via the internet.

Hope these guys finish the deal...nice to see some type of winning with someone associated to the local clubs.

I'll check out the links/blogs...any insight on how success at this level plays out for the Stars at the NHL level in the coming years?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
LonghornDub

Stars won Game 1 at Hershey last night, 2-1. Stars have home ice now.

Long way to go, but that's gotta make you feel at least slightly more confident, Flaco.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It's a HUGE win. Hershey is considered the unstoppable juggernaut in this scenario.

They're thinking twice about that this morning.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
LonghornDub

I've got tickets to Games 3, 4, and 5. Game 3 and 4 I'll go to for sure, Game 5 may conflict with another sporting event, so I'll probably only go to that one if it's a closeout game (seeing them skate around with the trophy from that close would be really cool).

Not to get too ahead of myself. Again, long way to go.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-04-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm heading down for game 5 again.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
LonghornDub

Do you get to sit in the press area again?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The press box is nice, but if I'm not on a deadline or something then I don't especially need to have the laptop. Plus this time I actually have someone coming with me, so we're getting seats. Last time I was alone.

I will still (take off my Stars jersey) and join the media scrum for some quotes after the game, though.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
LonghornDub

Hopefully you'll be asking them questions about how heavy that big trophy is.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
LonghornDub

Oh snap. Stars win Game 2. Coming home for Games 3 and 4 and a chance for the championship sweep. You feelin it yet Flaco?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am becoming slightly concerned (and elated) that they might not even get to game 5, therefore rendering my ticket and booked hotel room moot.

But G-D....what a win!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
LonghornDub

Dammit Flaco.

Well that was an abortion. Five unanswered goals by the Bears to win 6-3. Yikes. Hopefully Game 4 goes better.

At least you can go to Game 5 now.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-07-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah...that was really hard to watch.

They looked like completely different teams in the 1st and 3rd periods. Hell, 5 minutes into the second I was thinking about how ridiculously dominant Texas looked compared to this supposedly juggernaut 60 win Hershey team.

And then they woke up.

It would be very dangerous to lose game 4. Hershey can rip off 4 straight no problem. They've got to find a way to smack em in the nose again (and then hold on to the damned lead)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
LonghornDub

....dammit Flaco.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The blue line was just so outmatched last night. They lost Hutchinson in game 3 and that hurt them immensely. They are not built to withstand that kind of a forecheck (a forecheck the Bears did NOT employ in the first two games) and the flubs and foibles while trying to get out of their own end last night were just unforgivable. So many turnovers.

Even so, they were right there with 5 minutes to go. So close. Now they have to win another game in Hershey, at least, but it might already be too late.

This series was billed as David vs Goliath and it looks like Goliath finally woke up. Hershey is hitting their stride and Texas looked fatigued to me last night.

Nevertheless I will hit the road to Cedar Park tomorrow at lunch time.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Another problem is Jamie Benn. He looks tired, and they need him to be better.

He's now played 104 games this season.

In his last 3 years in junior leagues he's played 53, 51 and 56. Players are often fatigued making that kind of jump from one year to the next. He's basically doubled the length of his season.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
LonghornDub

You're right, Benn looked completely gassed last night. I commented on it at several points.

That too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty with ~2 minutes left was really unfortunate.