Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What's your prediction for the second round?
Mavs in 4 4 2.55%
Mavs in 5 5 3.18%
Mavs in 6 68 43.31%
Mavs in 7 34 21.66%
Lakers in 7 6 3.82%
Lakers in 6 23 14.65%
Lakers in 5 12 7.64%
Lakers in 4 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2011 Second Round Poll: Mavs vs. Lakers

Do you believe?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-29-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i was about to pick the lakers. they i heard chuck pick us. it's a lock. mavs in 6.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
buddha08

buddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mavs vs. Laker 1st time since 88

Mavs haven't played the Lakers in the playoffs since 1988 when they lost in the Western Conference Finals. Crazy! How have they avoided each other in the playoffs for over 20 years?
buddha08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the Lakers in 3 option?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
buddha08

buddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of light

I remember during many of the last 11 years dreading a Lakers match up in the playoffs, only to watch it never materialize. I remember one Nelson coached year when we had Danny Fortson come out in the season opener in a new Mav. space-foil uniform looking like a baked potato trying to guard Shaq, and thinking, we're screwed-- the Mavs were so flippin' scared of the Lakers, and no gimmick, whether it be a spacesuit uni., a point forward named Walker, or a Marion-esque floater shooting turnstile defender named Jamison, was going to mask the Mavs lack of belief in themselves. I also remember Aquirre, Blackman, Harper, and Donaldson pushing the Lakers to game seven in the conference finals and thinking ever since, we have unfinished business. These Mavs have no inferiority complex. Kidd, Marion, Dirk, Chandler, and Terry are hungry vets. I believe it's payback time!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I've gotta think about this one some more. I don't want to vote prematurely.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm having a tough time assessing the way this thing will go given that I think the Lakers are a touch overrated. I'm not sure we have the firepower to beat them, but they certainly are beatable. I guess we'll have to see how much of this momentum from the Portland series we can roll over into the next round. If Kidd and Terry can keep their guns-a-blazin', then we'll be able to give the Lakers all they can handle.

On a side note, I must say it's amazing that this is our first matchup against the Lakers in the midst our 50+ win streak. I'm looking forward to it.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 04-29-2011 at 01:12 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I see the Mavs coming out on top is in 7.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
buddha08

Default Don't pull a Chuck

Quote:
Barkley wouldn't commit at first to a prediction on TNT tonight--he wanted the weekend to think. After commercial break he came out with "Dirk is unguardable" and picked the Mavs. Come on, this is from a guy who has called the Mavs soft year after year. All those past years Dirk has been great: something must have changed. I'm thinking it's our veteran toughness. Come on, go with Chuck on this, Mavs take the series.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

JET sounded like he wants the Lakers as if he is irked with Odom winning the Sixth Man of the Year during the post game interview.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Poll within a poll: If the Mavs were to split Games 1 and 2 in LA, which game do you think they would be more likely to win? This is to help me pick which one to buy tickets for.

I'm leaning Game 1.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

lets prove em wrong
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Poll within a poll: If the Mavs were to split Games 1 and 2 in LA, which game do you think they would be more likely to win? This is to help me pick which one to buy tickets for.

I'm leaning Game 1.
i'd say 2.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Take 'em both.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
lets prove em wrong
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm leaning Game 1.
In 2003 the Mavs dismissed with the Kings and then took Game One on the Spurs' home floor, hitting 50 out of 51 free throws. They lost the series.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #17
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
In 2003 the Mavs dismissed with the Kings and then took Game One on the Spurs' home floor, hitting 50 out of 51 free throws. They lost the series.
We're also up against Phil's 48-0 (?) series record when he wins Game 1.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
man Hollinger should get an award for those predictions. Has he gotten one right? even the prediction squid has gotten half of the matchups right.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #19
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe no one at all picked the Hawks to win.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're also up against Phil's 48-0 (?) series record when he wins Game 1.
I don't know what to tell you. The only reasonable answer is that you attend both games.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #21
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragism View Post
I can't believe no one at all picked the Hawks to win.
44 wins won't buy you a playoff ticket in the West.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't know what to tell you. The only reasonable answer is that you attend both games.
Dammit. You're so right. We'll see what I can do.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #23
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
man Hollinger should get an award for those predictions. Has he gotten one right? even the prediction squid has gotten half of the matchups right.
He had Bulls and Miami in 5. And got the correct series winners in Boston, Thunder and Lakers. I think Atlanta was a HUGE surprise. Spurs not so much. Liked the matchup from the start.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #24
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
44 wins won't buy you a playoff ticket in the West.
I know that but I didn't think the Magic were good at all going into the playoffs and the Hawks matched up with them extremely well.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #25
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragism View Post
the Hawks matched up with them extremely well.
Really? That's interesting.

Actually no, that's not interesting. I never checked because that matchup was extremely boring. There's never more than three good teams in the East at a time so there's always a stupid, pointless playoff series between two pipsqueak teams every year. This year's baby fight was Hawks/Magic.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #26
xrobx
Diamond Member

the magic swept the hawks in the first round last year. who would pick it differently this year?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #27
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Atlanta isn't a surprise at all to me, Orlando is overrated based on past playoffs, anybody that watched them play down the stretch saw that. Crawford is a great finisher (think jet) and with Horford, Collins, and Pachula they have size. The ATL- Chicago series will be more competitive than most expect
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #28
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
the magic swept the hawks in the first round last year. who would pick it differently this year?
because the hawks swept the magic in the regular season?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #29
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Lakers in 7.
Without healthy Butler and with stupid Carlisle's lineups no way to win this series.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #30
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I was right with Mavs in 6 last time, I guess I'll pick it again.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #31
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Lakers have not been playing great by any stretch of the imagination. I don't care what it says on paper about the Lakers being better a true fan believes in his team even if the odds seem impossible.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #32
Dirkules41

Dirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the roughDirkules41 is a jewel in the rough

We have to win game 1! Phil Jackson is 48-0 when his teams win Game 1.
Dirkules41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
LOL!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #34
kenny_817

kenny_817 is infamous around these parts

We win this series IF we split one of the first two games. Mavs in 6
kenny_817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #35
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
because the hawks swept the magic in the regular season?
no...... they didn't.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bad sign that the Mavs coach is picking the Lakers in 4..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #37
LonghornDub

Again, it's good to see "Rick Carlisle" as the sole vote for the opponent winning in 4.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I really think this is a terrible match up for us. But I predicted the Mavs would lose the last series, so what do I know?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

lets prove em wrong
Who are those guys ?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #40
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I really think this is a terrible match up for us. But I predicted the Mavs would lose the last series, so what do I know?
As did I. I think we should pick the Mavs to lose again.

However, I believe if Dirk stays aggressive, we can beat anyone.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote