Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-20-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I?m on board with TJD at #10. I honestly wouldn?t be that surprised if we took him over Hendricks/ Walker (if one were to fall) because he?s more of a 5 than those two.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I?m on board with TJD at #10. I honestly wouldn?t be that surprised if we took him over Hendricks/ Walker (if one were to fall) because he?s more of a 5 than those two.
Watching the Miami game last night, and I'm thinking this guy is nearly identical to what Bam brings to the table. And Bam was drafted 14.

And we might finally have one big advantage on our side with Cuban. He went to IU. And you know damn well he does weird stuff like that.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Watching the Miami game last night, and I'm thinking this guy is nearly identical to what Bam brings to the table. And Bam was drafted 14.

And we might finally have one big advantage on our side with Cuban. He went to IU. And you know damn well he does weird stuff like that.
Bam at 14 is exactly why the Iztak article on nobody good drafted at 10 is disingenuous from a math/probability perspective. You can't just look at the 10th pick but instead you need to consider the universe of players that could be selected at 10 e.g. Bam could have gone 10th rather than 14, D. Mitchel could have gone 10 rather than 12, Kawhi could have gone 10 rather than 13, you get the point - there are tons of good players picked at 10 or after.

Last edited by Zeus; 05-20-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main concern with TJD will of course be his age (23.32 at time of draft). It is much easier for a 22-23 year old to dominate in college ball than a 18-19 year old. Dereck Lively is almost exactly four years younger than TJD.

Big men do take a while though, and having a ready-to-play two-way guy who has consistently improved and "has that dog in him" is really enticing. Especially when you consider the Mavs will basically have the ability to lock him up for the entirety of his prime with his rookie deal and his second RFA deal.

If we don't have a trade on the table when our pick is up, I almost expect us to draft TJD.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:49 AM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I must be missing something on TJD.
Most mock drafts have him projected in the 20s and he is only 6'8 according to some sources.
His age probably plays a part and he seems to be strong and tough, but I'm not sure he would be my preference at 10...maybe if we trade down.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:14 AM   #6
tap2390
Diamond Member

He's 6'8.25" w/o shoes with a 7'1" wingspan at 240 lbs (official draft measurements).

If he were a legit 7-footer I think he'd go top 10 for sure. As it stands, I think he has the size/ speed/ athleticism to play the 5 in the modern NBA. I also don't think he makes it out of the top-20 regardless of what the mocks say.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I must be missing something on TJD.
Most mock drafts have him projected in the 20s and he is only 6'8 according to some sources.
His age probably plays a part and he seems to be strong and tough, but I'm not sure he would be my preference at 10...maybe if we trade down.
He basically has no holes in game other than 3 point shooting. Excellent passer for his position which is something we desperately need from players outside of Kyrie/Luka.

I mean, Desmond Bane was slated as a late first/early second. Do you think he would be in that same position in a re-draft?

4 year guys will almost never be drafted high, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take them seriously.

I like the idea of the Nets 21/22 if they were interested. You could possibly get TJD and Lively.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-21-2023 at 09:45 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:55 PM   #8
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
He basically has no holes in game other than 3 point shooting. Excellent passer for his position which is something we desperately need from players outside of Kyrie/Luka.

I mean, Desmond Bane was slated as a late first/early second. Do you think he would be in that same position in a re-draft?

4 year guys will almost never be drafted high, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take them seriously.

I like the idea of the Nets 21/22 if they were interested. You could possibly get TJD and Lively.
Desmond Bane and Maxey go top 5 in the 2020 redraft. If only either would have been there when we picked at 18.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:48 AM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd definitely be fine with that if we were able to get Lively.

I wonder if Nets would consider DFS/O'Neale/#21/#22 for #10/THJ?
Probably not.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-22-2023 at 02:50 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote