Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default The Coolest Band I've Ever Seen.....

I went and saw two bands last night....and I'd just like to say...The Kills are the
coolest band I have ever seen. So cool, I had to start a thread to tell you all,
though I know you won't care...AT ALL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hot Hot Heat opened for them, who i thought were great fun...until
The Kills finished their 1st song..."Hot Hot Who?"
The dissapointing thing was that half the crowd left after HHH.
Idiots.
Anyway, they're playing again tonight, I wish I could go again,
but I'm going to see Interpol instead.

Thank you for indulging me...if you even read this far. [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The Coolest Band I've Ever Seen.....

Sounds cool.
The best band I've ever seen live was Blues Traveller. Every single one of those guys can play. The show was outdoors and they had to cut the set short because of an approaching thunderstorm. They left the stage, then John Popper came back out and made the announcement about the storm coming. The crowd finally coerced them back out for one last song, so they played "Devil Went Down to Georgia" with Popper totally getting down on the fiddle parts as the sky got dark and lightning flashed in the background in the shadow of downtown Ft. Worth's Bank One Building that had just recently been hit by a tornado.

That was an awesome show.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Less than Jake
Trapt
Smile empty soul
bowling for soup
the used
Old 08-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The coolest band I have ever seen.... well I will take away my favorite band because that is just too easy. The coolest non-favorite band I have ever seen play live would have to be a tie between Nitzer Ebb and The Pixies.

The Pixies were really great, they opened for another band and I think I was the only one at Texas Stadium that had ever heard their material. So they played their hearts out.... for me.... I would yell out what song I wanted to hear next during breaks... and they played it.

Like my own, live juke box.

When they left the stage, the stadium filled up. Really odd, I didn't want it to end.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: veruca salt
I went and saw two bands last night....and I'd just like to say...The Kills are the
coolest band I have ever seen. So cool, I had to start a thread to tell you all,
though I know you won't care...AT ALL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hot Hot Heat opened for them, who i thought were great fun...until
The Kills finished their 1st song..."Hot Hot Who?"
The dissapointing thing was that half the crowd left after HHH.
Idiots.
Anyway, they're playing again tonight, I wish I could go again,
but I'm going to see Interpol instead.

Thank you for indulging me...if you even read this far. [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]

Veruca, this is very very scary, lol. My Girlfriend is also a big fan of "The Kills".
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:19 AM   #6
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Maybe I'm your girlfriend and you just don't know it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm glad that people took this self indulgent thread of mine and turned it into an opportunity to talk about
great bands they've seen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
U2..agreed, it's too easy to say your fave band is the best you've seen (though they are, the Kills were just the coolest[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
Last year I went around Australia and saw Oasis 8 times in 10 days...and that was absolutely awesome as they've
been my favourite band for 10 years now.
I've had such an awesome live music month though, starting with Veruca Salt, Death In Vegas, Dandy Warhols, Evan Dando,
Kills & Hot Hot Heat, Interpol tonight and i'll probably finish it off with Brassy, although that's not for another 2 weeks.

Until last night the Dandy's were the coolest band I'd ever seen (though not this time around, the time in 2000).
Ahhh music....the best thing in the world [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

A double bill of the Kills and Hot Hot Heat? Veruca, you're killing me! I love both bands, but unfortunately many truly alternative bands (that is, not radio alterna-crap) don't play Dallas.

As for the best live bands I've ever seen:
Sleater-Kinney
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Bikini Kill
Bratmobile
Flaming Lips
Old 08-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]

>>though I know you won't care...AT ALL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[\q]

This reminded me of one of my favorite comic strips of all time, Calvin and Hobbes:

H : "What are you doing?"
C : "Being cool."
H : "You look more like you're bored."
C : "The world bores you when you're cool."

here's one that I could find:
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

D41: Veruca, this is very very scary, lol. My Girlfriend is also a big fan of "The Kills".

VS: Maybe I'm your girlfriend and you just don't know it

"If you like piña coladas........"

Apropos of nothing, but since this is an inherently indulgent thread, I'm going to post:

You know that stupid piña colada song? I read an interesting-ish piece about the guy who wrote it the other day. He's kind of had an otheriwse interesting and accomplished life, and rues being known for that song, although it has made him very comfortably wealthy.

Escape from Piña Coladaville
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

And then the inverse:

A Coat
by William Butler Yeats

I MADE my song a coat
Covered with embroideries
Out of old mythologies
From heel to throat;
But the fools caught it,
Wore it in the world's eyes
As though they'd wrought it.
Song, let them take it,
For there's more enterprise
In walking naked.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:01 PM   #11
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but i haven't been to Aussie land in 7 years.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #12
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
A double bill of the Kills and Hot Hot Heat? Veruca, you're killing me! I love both bands, but unfortunately many truly alternative bands (that is, not radio alterna-crap) don't play Dallas.

As for the best live bands I've ever seen:
Sleater-Kinney
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Bikini Kill
Bratmobile
Flaming Lips
That's the good thing about living in Sydney, bands that come to Australia ALWAYS play Sydney!
I didn't realise you liked Bratmobile...i would've loved to have seen them (and Bikini Kill, but that should go without saying)
I love the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion live....I've seen them three times and have never been dissapointed.
I'd love to see Boss Hogg too though. I think I'll go and see Brassy (Jon Spencers' sisters band) at the end of the month now,
just to see if she has half the on stage presence of her bro.
One band that is coming to Dallas soon who are enjoyable live are the Super Furry Animals. I saw them when I was
17, and they were awesome. I went off them for awhile as I thought they're 4th & 5th albums were crapola....but
what I've heard of the 6th is kinda cool.....

ps. interpol were great last night...

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-10-2003, 06:46 PM   #13
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
You know that stupid piña colada song? I read an interesting-ish piece about the guy who wrote it the other day. He's kind of had an otheriwse interesting and accomplished life, and rues being known for that song, although it has made him very comfortably wealthy.
I hate that song. I don't think all the money in the world could soothe my conscience after unleashing that on
the world. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quote:
H : "What are you doing?"
C : "Being cool."
H : "You look more like you're bored."
C : "The world bores you when you're cool."
Ever since I was about 4 UL, I've been looking for the reason why I'm so bored all the time.
Everywhere I search, I seemed to come back with the same answer, which was pretty much
that I was bored because I was boring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
But I've now decided I like your explanation better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #14
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I stay bored because people are afraid to talk to me. After some time working in a grocery store I got really profiecient at looking mad all the time so people will leave me alone. I'm convinced that whenever I let my guard down I'd emit some kind of chemical signal that would ensnare passers by and prompt them to walk in the store and say things like "Umm excuse me, can I write a check to get a money order?"

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #15
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
"Umm excuse me, can I write a check to get a money order?"
That is classic.

Best band I've ever seen is Radiohead on the OK Computer tour. It was in fairpark, it was great.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #16
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Really? I saw Radiohead on the Ok Computer tour too...I thought they were so incredibly...average!
I've never seen a band be so true to their recordings. Yawn-fest 1998.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-11-2003, 12:49 AM   #17
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:

I've never seen a band be so true to their recordings
I think thats what I was looking for. I'm getting sick of bands making their music completely different in concert, IMO most bands usually suck in concert.

Edit: I just looked at that and I mean most but not all. I like the experience but I come out disappointed a lot.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:54 AM   #18
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Really? I love music, and when I see a band live is normally when my love (or hate) of them goes to the next level.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-11-2003, 12:58 AM   #19
Fah Q
Golden Member

Like I said, I enjoy the experience of a live show, but proffesional bands sometimes sound like garage bands. Most notably Robert Earl Keene. I know he has a shitty voice in the first place but damn did he suck. But it was very fun. Or how about Jimmy Paige and Robert Plant, my dad took me to the No Quarter concert when I was 12 (I think) and it blew as well, but I love Led Zeppelin.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #20
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Well...i think there is nothing better than garage music, so that's obviously where our opinions differ....

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-11-2003, 01:19 AM   #21
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Well...i think there is nothing better than garage music, so that's obviously where our opinions differ....
Don't get me wrong I like garage music as well, but for professionals who sell millions of copies I expect a little bit more.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:26 AM   #22
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Once again that could be where we differ...the kinds I bands I like to sound dirty aren't the kinds of bands
who are going to sell millions of records....
But I'm not really talking about unprofessional live acts,
I don't like BAD live music as such, it's improvisation (or as I drunkenly refered to it the other night, improvision [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])
I'm looking for...not imperfection...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-11-2003, 01:39 AM   #23
Fah Q
Golden Member

Veruca, I get what your saying. And I agree, I guess that is where we differ.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:11 AM   #24
Fah Q
Golden Member

Old 08-11-2003, 02:30 AM   #25
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Flickerstick & Bowling for Soup know how to put on a show. I'm on a committee at school that bring in acts to play on campus & we've signed O.A.R. & Chompsky to play this semester. Has anyone ever been to either of their shows? I've heard only good things but do not honestly much about them. Austin people, come check out the show though.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

counting crows do a good show, as do hootie and the blowfish. roger clyne and the peacemakers are AWESOME live.