Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #161
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
The only moronic statement is you thinking that Dirk is NOT a choke artist. Dirk is a sorry as* player who QUIT on his team.

Here are the quotes from the QUITTER:

April 30, 2007
Barkley rips Dirk's quitter quote
"I wouldn't say we're worried, but our backs are against the wall," Dirk Nowitzki said in Eddie Sefko's story Saturday. "If we lose [today], this season is pretty much over."

Do you want me to also post Dirk's comments AFTER game 4? Stop defending a QUITTER. Dirk quite on his team, and decided to NOT even show up. Dirk quit for 5 games in the series. I can take one game to quit on a team, but 5 games in a series is totally MORONIC.

Dirk does NOT deserve the MVP, because he QUIT on his team. No Superstar in the history of SPORTS have played like that along with making those kind of statements about your team's chances. No player at all. This lead to the greatest collapse in the history of the NBA.
Quitting is a heavy accusation, man. I'm curious what makes you think Dirk quit?

To me, Dirk didn't quit. He just failed. There's a difference. Everybody fails at some point but it's the quitters I don't want on my side so I'm curious how you're drawing this hard conclusion.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #162
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you want the #1 outside shooter gone, that is also the best consistent PG on the team, and also your ideal Robin type of player gone?
Quote:
Are you sure you are a Mavs fan?
I maybe could understand losing one player, but why get rid of two players that did NOT choke and QUIT on the team? Dirk is the one who quit.
Now this is ironic. The one guy on the team that has busted his butt more than any other player, gets the other teams complete attention on being shut down and you think that jet is what stirs the mix. Are YOU sure you are a mavs fan?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #163
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Now this is ironic. The one guy on the team that has busted his butt more than any other player, gets the other teams complete attention on being shut down and you think that jet is what stirs the mix. Are YOU sure you are a mavs fan?
Bingo.

If Dirk quit on his team then Jet never even showed up to begin with for this series.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #164
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am SURE I am a Mavs fan...But I am also a NBA fan, so I call it like I see it..

I think the biggest problem right now looking at Dirk, is that too many fans are just Mavs fans, and give Dirk too many excuses for his poor play and statements that he makes at the WRONG timed. I dont give ANY Superstar an excuse, because they DONT deserve any. It comes with the territory. That is in ANY sport.

Anytime a player makes statements like the way DIrk did, plus perform like that, it gives way to the QUIT statements to come out. Lastly, why do you put Terry and Howard in on this? This is NOT their team. Neither one of them are SUPERSTARS. Terry could have played better, but he is OUR 3rd option. Howard played better than his regular season numbers in all stats.

The problem is that you want to give Dirk all the glory for the 67 wins, but when the shi* hits that fan, and Dirk chokes and makes QUITTER statements to the media, you want to give him a free pass. Dirk has had a free pass in the playoffs for the last three years. In his MVP year, he QUITS on his team b4 game 4 and after Game 5. Then plays well the last 3 minutes of game 5, then QUITS on his team in Game 6.

And people wonder why Nike did not have him on that Nike commercial with the rest of the Superstars? Now, I know why. Nike does NOT deal with QUITTERS. I know this is harsh on Dirk, but this is what Dirk needs. Maybe it will make him a better player, but for right now, he needs alot of soul searching.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #165
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Quote:
And people wonder why Nike did not have him on that Nike commercial with the rest of the Superstars? Now, I know why. Nike does NOT deal with QUITTERS. I know this is harsh on Dirk, but this is what Dirk needs. Maybe it will make him a better player, but for right now, he needs alot of soul searching.
dirk was in germany else he would have been in it.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #166
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am SURE I am a Mavs fan...But I am also a NBA fan, so I call it like I see it..

I think the biggest problem right now looking at Dirk, is that too many fans are just Mavs fans, and give Dirk too many excuses for his poor play and statements that he makes at the WRONG timed. I dont give ANY Superstar an excuse, because they DONT deserve any. It comes with the territory. That is in ANY sport.
Maybe they don't deserve excuses, but the reality is supserstars, on the biggest stage, fail more than they succeed. It's a fact.

Quote:
Anytime a player makes statements like the way DIrk did, plus perform like that, it gives way to the QUIT statements to come out. Lastly, why do you put Terry and Howard in on this? This is NOT their team. Neither one of them are SUPERSTARS. Terry could have played better, but he is OUR 3rd option. Howard played better than his regular season numbers in all stats.
I don't understand why his comments were quitter comments. Was it a wise thing to say? No. Certainly not. But Dirk has always been honest to a fault, and in that situation, he said what the majority of Mavs' fans were thinking, that if we went down 3-1, we were screwed.

It wasn't a quitter statement, it was just a dumb statement, seeded in honesty.

Quote:
Not that his even matters, it's a stupid point to begin with, but Nike did in fact ask Dirk to be in that commercial. He turned it down because he was in Germany at the time and didn't want to cut into his already short offseason by flying back to the states.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #167
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

we have what? 10 real superstars in the league on maybe 8 teams. only one or two can go home with a ring so 8-9 fail at some point. the problem is if you dont win it all your last game of the season is a loss - thats never nice.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #168
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I am also a NBA fan, so I call it like I see it..

Quote:
Hmm..maybe not as big of an nba fan as you think since you don't know enough to know that nike asked dirk to be in that. But this "statement" by you is about as accurate as the others, so I'll leave it there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #169
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Maybe they don't deserve excuses, but the reality is supserstars, on the biggest stage, fail more than they succeed. It's a fact.

I don't understand why his comments were quitter comments. Was it a wise thing to say? No. Certainly not. But Dirk has always been honest to a fault, and in that situation, he said what the majority of Mavs' fans were thinking, that if we went down 3-1, we were screwed.

It wasn't a quitter statement, it was just a dumb statement, seeded in honesty.

Not that his even matters, it's a stupid point to begin with, but Nike did in fact ask Dirk to be in that commercial. He turned it down because he was in Germany at the time and didn't want to cut into his already short offseason by flying back to the states.
Go back to the thread that talked about the NIKE commerical and why Dirk was NOT in it. Then find my comment on the situation, then maybe you can see that I knew exactly why Dirk was NOT there.

Quote:
Maybe they don't deserve excuses, but the reality is supserstars, on the biggest stage, fail more than they succeed. It's a fact..
If you believe that statement then you may need to re-think who you say is a Superstar. I dont even think that Dude would agree with that statement. Maybe you should change that statement to mean that Superstars in general fail more than they succeed. This is a decent statement, that even Jordan said himself.

But on the biggest stage, Superstars succeed more than fail. It is a proven fact. That is why makes them Superstars.

Those statements were indeed QUITTER statements. No way in hell do I EVEN think that way. I am an avid competitor and I would NEVER think that way. I ALWAYS think I can come back from ANYTHING. Not only will I say that, but I believe that. This is what Dirk is lacking. The ultimate believe that takes you to the next level when OTHERS would have QUIT.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #170
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Go back to the thread that talked about the NIKE commerical and why Dirk was NOT in it. Then find my comment on the situation, then maybe you can see that I knew exactly why Dirk was NOT there.

If you believe that statement then you may need to re-think who you say is a Superstar. I dont even think that Dude would agree with that statement. Maybe you should change that statement to mean that Superstars in general fail more than they succeed. This is a decent statement, that even Jordan said himself.

But on the biggest stage, Superstars succeed more than fail. It is a proven fact. That is why makes them Superstars.

Those statements were indeed QUITTER statements. No way in hell do I EVEN think that way. I am an avid competitor and I would NEVER think that way. I ALWAYS think I can come back from ANYTHING. Not only will I say that, but I believe that. This is what Dirk is lacking. The ultimate believe that takes you to the next level when OTHERS would have QUIT.
I think that if you realize that ~ out of the last 15 of 16 championships have been won by duncan, shaq, olajuwan and jordan that "superstars" fail far more than succeed. Unless there are only 4 of them.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #171
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I think that if you realize that ~ out of the last 15 of 16 championships have been won by duncan, shaq, olajuwan and jordan that "superstars" fail far more than succeed. Unless there are only 4 of them.
Right. Apparantly you have to win a title to be a superstar in this league.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #172
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Oh, right. More insider knowledge of the situation?

I guess Dirk's a big fat liar then, because he was asked about it in numerous interviews. He even talked about how they discussed shooting him in Germany and splicing him into the commercial, but nothing ever came of it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-07-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #173
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that if you realize that ~ out of the last 15 of 16 championships have been won by duncan, shaq, olajuwan and jordan that "superstars" fail far more than succeed.
that...

...and you realize that teams that win championships generally have a) the greatest player in the history of the game; or b) a really top-notch inside presence.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #174
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I know you are alot smarter than you are letting on to be.

Stop twisting words and read my statements. You know exactly what I said about the failure statement. Now should I go twist your words as well, so that I can prove a point?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #175
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

I guess Dirk's a big fat liar then, because he was asked about it in numerous interviews. He even talked about how they discussed shooting him in Germany and splicing him into the commercial, but nothing ever came of it.
Once again you proved that you too like to twist words around.

Quote:
Not that his even matters, it's a stupid point to begin with, but Nike did in fact ask Dirk to be in that commercial. He turned it down because he was in Germany at the time and didn't want to cut into his already short offseason by flying back to the states..
And I guess this statement above is YOU having inside information

Stop playing with words and turning my words into something else. Did I turn your post above into sarcastic insider information jokes?

I am still waiting for you to go back to that thread to find my answer.

Do you have ANY inside information on the Mavs, because several of your posts seem to indicate that you think you have some inside information?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #176
KingCrunch

KingCrunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What bullshit do I have to read here? Dirk didn't come to the spot because he doesn't like the whole commercial-shit. Also in Germany he only does the commercials he has to do (only the ones for the sponsor of the german national team) and that's it. And that is what I love in him.

It's right he had the worst series he could have had and he said some wrong comments. I personally feel ashamed for him, I really do! But don't blame everything on him and don't question everything a team with 67 wins did!!! They need a true PG, that's it!

btw: On the commercial, jthig32 is absolutely rght!

<<Deutschlands größtes Basketball-Netzwerk>>

Last edited by KingCrunch; 05-07-2007 at 04:50 PM.
KingCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #177
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Do you have ANY inside information on the Mavs, because several of your posts seem to indicate that you think you have some inside information?
What? Are you serious?

My statement was based on comments Dirk has made when asked about the commercial.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-07-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #178
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

From another thread...

I find Avery's "responsibility" to be RIGHT ON.

Three things cover the reason why AVERY is to blame, not DIRK:

1) How many times have I heard it was all about the "SYSTEM"? Avery, and the media, made it sound as if ANY player could be successful in the "SYSTEM". He has, to this day, been all about the "equal value" of players. HE NEVER BUILT UP DIRK. Instead, he treated him as a "cog", not the leader. He treated him like a role player, because in the "SYSTEM" everybody has a "role". Guess what? He became a role player.

2) He has never really treated Dirk as a leader of this team. I wish I had a dime for every time praise of Stackhouse came out of his mouth, or Terry as a leader. Who the H!!! was Terry and Stackhouse to call a "team meeting". DIRK should have been doing this. But after last year, calling out Damp and getting castrated for it in the media, really affected him. That crap was so OVERBLOWN it was sickening. DAMP HAD BEEN HORRIBLE! Everybody knows it.The truth is, it was a Dallas, Texas overreaction to a Euro White Man criticising a American Black Man. As I remember, Avery didn't help to diffuse the situation. He can't lead because nobody will let him! Thus Dirk's answers above, and a catch 22.

3) Perhaps the biggest problem, even before the cowardly change of the starting lineup, was apparrent before the start of game one. I saw a scene that was outright sickening, and set the tone for the series. It was MUCH more disrespectful than anything Dirk has ever said or done, and Avery took it! It established, before tipoff, Nelson's dominance of Avery. It was masterful.

Avery and Nelson were talking. I don't know what was said. But as Avery walked off, Nelson PUSHED HIS HEAD as if he were dismissing a child, and casually walked off. The whole thing made Avery look like Chester to Nellie's Spike, for those who remember the cartoons.

My question to each of you. When was the last time you let a man push you on the head like you were a child? I wonder how many other people Avery would have let do that?

This was a sign of true cowardice by our coach. It established, or maybe reaffirmed, Avery's fear of Nelson and this series.

Hopefully, he'll learn from this and make changes. He's a young coach. Let's see what happens next year. I am pulling for Avery. But he needs to realize these things.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #179
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

See, Silk Smoov is a good example of what Vince McMahon did to a whole generation. You can suck, you can lose, as long as you say "Warriors, I'm gonna open a big can of whoopass on you and that's the way it goes, because Stone Cold Dirk said so!" beforehand, it's all good, because you are a "confident superstar", if you are being realistic, you are a quitter and there's no way you'll be in the commercial. Pathetic.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #180
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I was appalled by Dirk's comments before game 4. You can chalk it up to honesty or whatever, but the fact is this revealed a lack of confidence that, to me, was surprising. I am not sure if it was a lack of self-confidence, confidence in Avery's gameplan, or a lack of confidence in his teammates, but other teams have come back from a 3-1 deficit. Why not this 67 win Mavs team that went on three double digit win streaks? That being said, I certainly don't blame Dirk alone for losing this series nor would I call him a quitter. Dirk was finding ways to contribute throughout the series. If I had to allocate blame (not a fun thing to do) would give equal blame to Dirk and JET, with the coaches necessarily getting a tad more.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #181
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

And you question me !!!!!!! Here above you acuse me of acting like I had inside information. But right now that statement you make a statement that acts like you know inside information.

Post the link that shows him talking about the commercial. Did you find my post that talked about this situation when it was discussed him on the message board? People were on here accusing NIKE/NBA of NOT wanting Dirk in those scenes with the rest of the NBA players. There you will see I knew EXACTLY why Dirk was NOT there. So dont get it twisted.

Now, I say again, Nike does NOT want Quitters on that commercial and they did not put Dirk in there. I guess they had foresight on Dirk

Ok, I will stop messing with you about NIKE NOT wanting Dirk there

If you looked at that thread you will see that I knew that Dirk could NOT attend the filming. I was being funny about the Quitter Dirk. But I do feel Dirk QUIT...He did, and deserves all the blame he is getting. When Dirk is playing well you give HIM all the credit, but when he stinks you want to blame Terry equally???????

Dirk NEEDS to be a man and take what he is getting. He brought this on himself.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #182
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
When has dirk ever not "taken" responsibility for his play? Ever?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #183
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
that...

...and you realize that teams that win championships generally have a) the greatest player in the history of the game; or b) a really top-notch inside presence.
Bingo. I would expect the trend to remain constant this postseason as well (my $$$ is on either the Spurs or Pistons). The rule changes are really making it easier to guard the post...so the next few years in the league should be interesting....to see which style wins out.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #184
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And you question me !!!!!!! Here above you acuse me of acting like I had inside information. But right now that statement you make a statement that acts like you know inside information.

Post the link that shows him talking about the commercial. Did you find my post that talked about this situation when it was discussed him on the message board? People were on here accusing NIKE/NBA of NOT wanting Dirk in those scenes with the rest of the NBA players. There you will see I knew EXACTLY why Dirk was NOT there. So dont get it twisted.

Now, I say again, Nike does NOT want Quitters on that commercial and they did not put Dirk in there. I guess they had foresight on Dirk

If you looked at that thread you will see that I knew that Dirk could NOT attend the filming. I was being funny about the Quitter Dirk. But I do feel Dirk QUIT...He did, and deserves all the blame he is getting. When Dirk is playing well you give HIM all the credit, but when he stinks you want to blame Terry equally???????

Silk, calm down. It's true that Nike wanted him in the commercial. Here's a link (there are many more sources that confirmed this)

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsl...r.1c63fba.html

Quote:
Q: I am wondering why Dirk isn't in the Nike commercial, "The Second Coming." As far as I know, he's one of the top athletes in Nike. Even Rasheed Wallace was in there. I mean, come on, how can Dirk not be in that thing? The only other person that's not in there is Vince Carter, but I'm pretty sure his contract is expiring with Nike. Is Dirk not with Nike anymore?

Steven, Leeds

MOORE: Missing the commercial shoot was Nowitzki's choice. Nike wanted him in it, but the spot was shot while he was in Germany. He didn't want to make the long trip and declined.

When people wonder why Nowitzki doesn't have a higher profile or appear in more of these type of commercials. The reason is it's not high on his list of priorities. From what I can tell, it may not be on the list at all.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #185
NYMavFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMavFan
Murphy, not looking to start a fight here, but who are you to say what this board wants? And what makes you think that you and your basketball knowledge are oh so insightful while everyone on tv and radio is uninformed and stupid? On top of that, what makes you think you know more about this team than me?

Look, I titled this thread 'no one to blame but dirk' to grab attention and to emphasize my point. Any idiot can see that MANY things went wrong with the Mavs to cause this to happen. But the ROOT CAUSE for the series defeat was Dirk's play. You could've fixed every other thing wrong with the Mavs (Avery's coaching mistakes, JT's play, etc.) but I seriously doubt the series would've gone the other way if Dirk still played as passively as he did. I give credit to the Warriors--they were playing out of their minds. It would've taken a lot to beat a team playing like that, but it could've been done if Dirk had played aggressively. For whatever reason, he just didn't.

I'll tell you what Dirk could've done. I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again. HE COULD'VE BEEN AGGRESSIVE. I'm not saying he would've split double teams and scored 30 points by doing this. In fact, that's not what would've happened at all given the Warriors' strategy against him. BUT all he had to do was make his presence felt on the court, to let the Warriors know that they were going to have to work hard to take him out of his game. Unless you are blind or the biggest homer on the face of the planet, you HAD to see that Dirk wasn't fighting for position, wasn't demanding the ball, and wasn't making quick moves to put pressure on the D when he actually got the ball. His body language was HORRIBLE the entire game... it basically screamed "I'm a f'n pussy! Push me around cuz I don't have the balls to fight back!"

He CONCEDED to the Warriors and LET them take him out of the game. He gave up. And there's just no excuse for that.
First of all, I want to go on record saying that I don't think Dirk is a choker. I think he has some serious mental deficiencies, but I don't think choking is his problem. It's more of an issue with his attitude. He simply doesn't have the fearlessness, the nerve, the aggressiveness that a man with his level of skill should have. What was he thinking saying what he said before game 4? Why did he seem to give up during game 6?

Also, I'm curious as to why none of the Dirk defenders had a reasonable response to my earlier post above. I can only assume that they can't come up with a good one because they can't deny the truth.

Look, I don't have the spare time to post in high volume like many of the posters here, but I felt strongly enough about this to take some time to do it. I hope some people here are looking to have a reasonable discussion about this instead of engaging in childish name-calling (that means you, dude)
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #186
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:

you are by far the worst poster on this board.

i award you no points and deduct 10 pts from everyone's IQ for having to read your rubbish. may God have mercy on our souls.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #187
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
i award you no points and deduct 10 pts from everyone's IQ for having to read your rubbish. may God have mercy on our souls.
Ahh, one of the all time greatest lines.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #188
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

I disagree with the OP completely. I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Hell, Dirk was being doubled before he got the ball in the high post. Where were the back cuts? Where was the perimeter guy that could make the defense pay for an early double? Where was the game plan to counter these early doubles? They didn't exist.

I don't buy the argument that Dirk is a chocker. He had a bad series. It happens. When your superstar (and yes, he is a superstar) has a bad game/series, the rest of your team has to step up, or the end result is what happened in your first round. No one to blame but Dirk? Hardly.
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #189
NYMavFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Fan
I disagree with the OP completely. I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Hell, Dirk was being doubled before he got the ball in the high post. Where were the back cuts? Where was the perimeter guy that could make the defense pay for an early double? Where was the game plan to counter these early doubles? They didn't exist.

I don't buy the argument that Dirk is a chocker. He had a bad series. It happens. When your superstar (and yes, he is a superstar) has a bad game/series, the rest of your team has to step up, or the end result is what happened in your first round. No one to blame but Dirk? Hardly.
Wrong. Were you even watching the games? He wasn't being doubled before he got the ball in the high post. He was being bodied by a single defender. The double came once he got the entry pass.

A lot of others did step up. They were the reason the mavs were even in the games to begin with (Howard, Stack, Harris, Diop, etc.)

And I never claimed Dirk was a choker. Why don't you actually read the messages and stop wasting everyone's time?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #190
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

I keep reading about these wild trades. The only problem is that are any of them really possible? Nobody wants our dead weight. Not to mention that we are towards the top of the league (#2 I think) in salary in the NBA. Which means that the only pieces that I see that have any trade value are Dirk, Jason and J-Ho.

So assuming that Mark thinks we can get it done with Dirk, that leaves Jason and J-Ho. Your not going to get a major piece for Jason because he doesn't command that type of trade value. That leaves Howard. The Mavs are in a very odd place. If they decide to ride out Dirk (which is what I think will happen) they will have to trade Howard if they want another star beside him.

The only other option is to trade Dirk for another star. I just don't see that happening because I think Cuban won't do it after the Nash debacle. So what do you do?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #191
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMavFan
Silk, calm down. It's true that Nike wanted him in the commercial. Here's a link (there are many more sources that confirmed this)

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsl...r.1c63fba.html
I already knew what happened to Dirk for the Nike gig. If you could go back to that thread that talked about this issue, you would see that I pointed out that Nike DID want Dirk , but Dirk was NOT able to attend. People will blasting Nike for NOT having Dirk and was going off about Nike. Me and a couple of others told them what really happened. I was just poking fun at Dirk when I said Nike did NOT want him. I am still mad at Dirk, and I am giving him his just due on talking bad about OUR Superstar.

The press and former NBA players are all giving Dirk a hard time about his performance. Even Magic touched on it last night with the Suns game. When the media and former NBA players agree with something, you have to look hard at the situation. I did, and I look directly at Dirk for this. I dont mind losing, but as the leader and Superstar, you go down fighting the good fight.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #192
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I was just poking fun at Dirk when I said Nike did NOT want him. I am still mad at Dirk, and I am giving him his just due on talking bad about OUR Superstar. .
Who the hell could tell what you are "joking" about since you've ranting for a week now.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #193
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Who the hell could tell what you are "joking" about since you've ranting for a week now.
This is the second time I posted that I was just poking at Dirk about the Nike situation. Matter of fact, I posted about this 3 times, just to correct a certain poster on the situation. Yeah, you know I am ranting, but for GOOD reason. I am ranting at the one guy who this team belongs to. Hopefully, Dirk does NOT view this board, because I feel too many are letting Dirk off the hook for some reason. I just dont understand why people are letting him off the hook.

When everything ws going fine, everything was about Dirk. When he decides to QUIT on his team and NOT show up for the playoffs, then people want to blame the role players for the results. Role players are just that. Role players feed off the so called Superstar. Our Superstar QUIT. Plain and simple. His remarks to the media indicated so, and his play on the court indicated the same. He is a QUITTER. Hands down.

I think the Mavs would do better with KG, so that is why I keep asking for a trade. I dont think we could get Kobe or Wade, so those two are the only other answer for our team with our current team intact. If we trade Dirk for any other player, I think we go downhill from there. So, I am only asking for KG, rather than blow up the team.

I even dont think Billips would help, because it makes us a half court team, w/o a low post scorer. Kidd is NOT the answer as well. Carter is NOT the answer as well. We have to address our low post situation at the PF spot. Our centers are fine, because they play their role very well. We are in dire need of a low post PF who can dominate on both ends. J'Oneal is NOT the answer as well, because we have to lose Dirk or Howard.

If we can get J'Oneal, w/o losing Dirk or Howard, I would be fine. I also dont want to lose Jet, because he is our most consistent PG, plus he is our one true outside threat. We have to have both. To me, this makes Harris the casulty in this situation. I think a Bevin Knight/TJ Ford type of player would fit us perfectly as well instead of Harris.

I dont want to get rid of Harris, but I choose him over Terry to leave. JMVHO..
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #194
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

One more time, aquiring Kevin Garnett does not do much to help our low post situation.

Could he have posted up on the low block against the midgets from Golden State? Yes.

Does he post up on the low block against people close to his own size? Very rarely.

As I've already pointed out, he's a high post/elbow offensive player, much like Dirk. Only Dirk is much, much better at it.

If you bring Garnett to play alongside Dirk, then you've got something. Trading Dirk for Garnett simply creates MORE problems for this team.

A distributor like Jason Kidd is what this team needs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-10-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #195
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
One more time, aquiring Kevin Garnett does not do much to help our low post situation.

Could he have posted up on the low block against the midgets from Golden State? Yes.

Does he post up on the low block against people close to his own size? Very rarely.

As I've already pointed out, he's a high post/elbow offensive player, much like Dirk. Only Dirk is much, much better at it.

If you bring Garnett to play alongside Dirk, then you've got something. Trading Dirk for Garnett simply creates MORE problems for this team.

A distributor like Jason Kidd is what this team needs.
Last time for you as well. KG is a very good low post scorer. There is NOT a dominant bruising PF/Center in the West. KG would neutralize Amare, Duncan, GS, Utah, Lakers and others on defense with his size and quickness and toughness. KG also has a nice mid range shot, which he can get off ANYONE, no matter what.

Kidd would be nice, but if he was 5 years younger, and we were a bombing squad. We are NOT built that way, and going back is going back to Mavs history. It was proven this year that our pace is NOT a fast pace game. Proven with the pace of the Mavs this year. So Kidd is NOT the answe at any stretch. You can also cancel out the money he makes as well.

KG is the solution, and he is the solution at the PF spot. Having KG and Dirk would be fine, but NOT at the expense of Howard. I would make Dirk more expendable than Howard, #1 reason is knowing what we could get for Dirk.

Back to KG. He rebounds better, defends better, is a better low post scorer, is NOT guardable with his shot at the top of the key, he simply is too long and jumps over people to shot, has a bull dog atitude that we need, better passer, and basketball I.Q. is ALOT higher. Pluses outweigh the bad about 5 to 1. Dirk is a better long range shooter, but we dont need to be taking all those long range jumpers anyway.

Lastly, KG has better ball handles than Dirk as well.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #196
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
come on now. Show me the youtube of garnett facing up and beating his guy off the dribble. Or taking the dribble and turning the corner.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #197
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Last time for you as well. KG is a very good low post scorer. There is NOT a dominant bruising PF/Center in the West. KG would neutralize Amare, Duncan, GS, Utah, Lakers and others on defense with his size and quickness and toughness. KG also has a nice mid range shot, which he can get off ANYONE, no matter what.

Kidd would be nice, but if he was 5 years younger, and we were a bombing squad. We are NOT built that way, and going back is going back to Mavs history. It was proven this year that our pace is NOT a fast pace game. Proven with the pace of the Mavs this year. So Kidd is NOT the answe at any stretch. You can also cancel out the money he makes as well.

KG is the solution, and he is the solution at the PF spot. Having KG and Dirk would be fine, but NOT at the expense of Howard. I would make Dirk more expendable than Howard, #1 reason is knowing what we could get for Dirk.

Back to KG. He rebounds better, defends better, is a better low post scorer, is NOT guardable with his shot at the top of the key, he simply is too long and jumps over people to shot, has a bull dog atitude that we need, better passer, and basketball I.Q. is ALOT higher. Pluses outweigh the bad about 5 to 1. Dirk is a better long range shooter, but we dont need to be taking all those long range jumpers anyway.

Calling KG unguardable is laughable. I'm sorry, it just is.

You're wanting to trade Dirk for someone that is unable to carry the same offensive load as Dirk, and does not have the history of playoff success that Dirk has.

KG is not a low post scorer. He CAN do it, somewhat. Certainly better than Dirk. But KG is not a good enough low post scorer to sit him on the block against Duncan or Amare and run the offense through him in crucial games. He's just not.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #198
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk takes responsibility as does everyone in the locker room. What most naysayers say is just a selfish way of thinking. Dirk and Avery DO take most of the blame. I dunno what there is to even talk about on this issue anymore. Anyone who suggests trading Dirk though doesn't watch the team nor do they know anything about NBA basketball. Period. It is just called "common sense."

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #199
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Calling KG unguardable is laughable. I'm sorry, it just is.

You're wanting to trade Dirk for someone that is unable to carry the same offensive load as Dirk, and does not have the history of playoff success that Dirk has.

KG is not a low post scorer. He CAN do it, somewhat. Certainly better than Dirk. But KG is not a good enough low post scorer to sit him on the block against Duncan or Amare and run the offense through him in crucial games. He's just not.
KG is indeed Unguardable!!! He is one of those Superstars that you cant guard, especially 1on1. Is Dirk guardable? Yes!!

You must have never watched a team other than the Mavs, when you say that KG is NOT a low post scorer as well. KG can do it all, except hit 3 pointers with any kind of consistency.

I am going to leave this alone, because you indeed do NOT know KG at all. KG is a bull dog, and he is just waiting for his time to have a team. He has had a team 1 time, and that year they made it to the WCF, and if Cassell did not get hurt, they may have won the title.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #200
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
KG is indeed Unguardable!!! He is one of those Superstars that you cant guard, especially 1on1. Is Dirk guardable? Yes!!

You must have never watched a team other than the Mavs, when you say that KG is NOT a low post scorer as well. KG can do it all, except hit 3 pointers with any kind of consistency.

I am going to leave this alone, because you indeed do NOT know KG at all. KG is a bull dog, and he is just waiting for his time to have a team. He has had a team 1 time, and that year they made it to the WCF, and if Cassell did not get hurt, they may have won the title.
Well the Mavericks figured out how to guard him in the playoffs, Dirk dominated him.

If you think KG is primarily a low post scorer, then you don't watch KG play. He plays at the elbow, and he's primarliy a jumpshooter.

I stand by my statement, a team who's crunch time offense is to dump it down low to KG is a mediocre offensive team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-10-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Tags
dirk