Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official Dallas Stars 06-07 Season Thread

I know most of you don't watch hockey, but I thought maybe you'd enjoy some highlights to get caught up on the 5 and 0 start that's not getting any attention....

Stars/Avalanche: Stars win in OT

Stars/Devils highlights.

Stars beat up the Kings

SENSATIONAL save by Marty Turco vs the Ducks. This video sucks, but go to dallasstars.com if you want to see it.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-16-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

That is SUCH a sick save!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

it was a sick ass move too. what a great move. that kid is going to score on that move more often than not.

Marty was just great on it.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it was a sick ass move!

But Turco was lucky too when you look at it several times. If he just lifts the puck even slightly, and puts it ANYWHERE, he scores.

Great save still.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

bring back eddie the eagle =x

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol the Eagle is a washed up old man.

Turco was the NHL player of the week oh by the way. and well deserved too.

now if he could just do it in April....
Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Stars #1 in FoxSports.com power rankings.

(which are math based, not opinion based)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/powerRankings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stars theme: Do more, play more

Miettinen, others see ice time go up with results

01:10 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 17, 2006

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Antti Miettinen emerged from the locker room Monday sporting a crooked cut across the bridge of his nose and another scar across his eyebrow – courtesy of a high stick he received in the Stars' 4-3 shootout win over Anaheim on Sunday.

Of course, the Stars winger also had a goal and nine shots on net to show for his troubles.

And that may be the perfect example of why the Stars are 5-0-0 to start the season. Miettinen did the mucking and grinding necessary to get the opportunity to use his skill. And Stars coach Dave Tippett rewarded him for that.

Stars theme: Do more, play more

Check out Miettinen's numbers from the game. He logged 12:45 in total ice time, but 6:38 of that was on the power play. His assignment was on what is considered the fourth line, playing beside Mike Ribeiro and Steve Ott, but he finished with nine shots on goal – twice that of any other Stars player. By the end of the game, Miettinen was playing on the top line in place of Eric Lindros.

"He was excellent," Tippett said. "He was working the walls really well and we thought that was what we needed. Not to be derogatory to anybody else, but he was good."

One of the keys to the Stars' early season approach is that the players who are good are going to get chances. Stephane Robidas proved that Saturday against the Kings when he leapfrogged Philippe Boucher to take power-play time, and ended up contributing three assists. Miettinen was the benefactor Sunday. And it's not as if Lindros or Boucher have been bad. It's just that other players are seizing the moment and Tippett is rewarding them.

"They did the job, so they got more ice time," Tippett said.

Maybe so, but it's been even more significant this season. Tippett is running a tight ship and he clearly is set on using the depth of his team as an advantage. As a result, there are battles within the team for ice time, for power-play time, for the chance to play with certain players. Jon Klemm had a strong camp, but he can't get into the lineup. Mathias Tjarnqvist and Patrik Stefan are looking good in practice, but they have yet to play during the regular season.

Yet, if any gets in and does well, he could climb the ladder just as easily as Miettinen and Robidas.

The gritty play of Antti Miettinen (left) has earned praise – and extended playing time, including on the power play – from Stars coach Dave Tippett. "I think that's the way it should be," said Miettinen, who was moved out of the top six when Lindros was shifted to a wing. "I think that it's good we are that way."

Turco honored: The NHL has replaced the Player of the Week honor this season with Three Stars of the week and Stars goalie Marty Turco was named the first star for last week. Turco is 5-0-0 with a 1.56 GAA and a .948 save percentage. He ranks second in the NHL in both categories.

Chicago's Martin Havlat (10 points in four games) was the second star and Toronto's Mats Sundin (scoring his 500th career goal) was the third star.

Workout: The Stars had an optional off-ice workout Monday at the HP Pavilion to try to conserve energy during a stretch in which they play four road games in six nights.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

National media is starting to pay attention. Nice to get the recognition, but I think this team enjoys flying under the radar. Going for tying the best start in franchise history tonight in the Shark Tank... wonder if any of the healthy scratches gets in tonight. Gotta play them sometime, it's not like they're bad players & the guys in right now have played a lot of games in a few days.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #9
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

go stars. i'll start watching come playoffs. i hate this craptacular channel stuff they did with OLN where you can't see half the games.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
go stars. i'll start watching come playoffs. i hate this craptacular channel stuff they did with OLN where you can't see half the games.
yeah OLN or Versus or whatever sucks.

At least we can still see every single Stars game (if you live in Dallas) so I don't care.

Once Mavs season starts, I dont have time to watch non-Stars hockey games really.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-17-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

and so the Stars lose 2-0.

The first goal was a cheapy. The Stars hit a post tonight. Not to mention they out-shot them. Out shooting a team is the end all, be all stat in the NHL. It let's you know which team was working harder...

In this case, the team at the end of a BRUTAL road trip to start the season worked harder, and came out with nothing. Such is hockey.

the Sharks, with 3 days rest at home should've done no different.

See you at the AAC on Friday. I'll be in section 314 with some annoying ass bitches that always sit up there.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Ah well. Maybe now that they finally lost, Tipp will put in some of the Healthy Scratch Brigade. Was still an extremely impressive road trip. I am really liking the feel of this team.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #13
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
lol the Eagle is a washed up old man.

Turco was the NHL player of the week oh by the way. and well deserved too.

now if he could just do it in April....
yup...washed up with alcohol =[

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
ames7
Diamond Member

OMG incredible finish to tonight's game against the Hawks! Stars were down 3-1 heading into the third & then this happened:
Dallas goal 13:41, Mike Modano - Dallas 2, Chicago 3
Dallas goal 14:26, Jere Lehtinen - Dallas 3, Chicago 3
Chicago goal 15:31, Martin Lapointe - Dallas 3, Chicago 4
Dallas goal 18:46, Mike Ribeiro - Dallas 4, Chicago 4
Dallas goal 19:20, Philippe Boucher- Dallas, 5, Chicago 4

Boucher wins it with 40 seconds left! I can't believe that just happened!

Last edited by ames7; 10-20-2006 at 10:18 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

i just knew they were gone after the lapointe goal. what a great finish.

and we got hagman for a 7th round pick? wow.

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 10-20-2006 at 11:34 PM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

just got back from the game

HOLY SH!TE

down 3-1 with 6 minutes to go.

Win 5-4

Most exciting 6 min of hockey I've seen in a long time!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
i just knew they were gone after the lapointe goal. what a great finish.

and we got hagman for a 7th round pick? wow.

yeah.

the miettinen and hagman line was greatness tonight. when everyone else was sucking in the 2nd period they were working hard.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

NHL notebook: Turco no joke with stick

Robert Picarello / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 19 minutes ago

Marty Turco is one of the best goaltenders in the NHL at handling the puck. His stick-handling abilities have allowed him to record seven assists in his NHL career, two shy of the Stars' all-time points record held by former Dallas puck-stopper Ed Belfour.

Turco's latest assist was a thing of beauty. The helper came on opening night this season in Denver against the Colorado Avalanche. In overtime, after the Stars killed a penalty, Turco hit Darryl Sydor with a perfect pass from inside his own crease to spring the Dallas defenseman on a breakaway. Sydor beat Avs goalie Jose Theodore on the play to net Turco and the Stars the win.
"It's not about offense for me. It's more about the transition to offense and get my defensemen extra time taking less blows and giving ourselves as a team just an advantage with the puck, whether it be time or position," Turco said. "And, you know, that's my whole philosophy and game plan, doing whatever I can to give our team an advantage."

Even if it means him squaring off in all his goalie gear against an opponent's center in the faceoff circle. Last Saturday in Los Angeles, Turco noticed his team at a disadvantage during a defensive zone draw, so the Dallas netminder made a gallant attempt at taking one for the team against the Kings. With the linesman about to drop the puck for a faceoff in the Stars end without a Dallas forward in the circle, Turco took it upon himself to skate into the dot where he lined up for the draw. Unfortunately for the him, the NHL doesn't allow goalies to take faceoffs.

While Turco can't ever go down in NHL history as the first goaltender to score a goal — that record belongs to Islanders' great Billy Smith, who was credited with a goal on Nov. 28, 1979 — he could've made history by being the first goalie ever to take a faceoff. And his talents with the paddle just may have allowed him to win the draw.

But it wasn't to be.

"I'm not really disappointed now. I'm sure I would have been — provided some comic relief more than anything," Turco said. "I could have possibly lost it, too. I wasn't planning on it. I had my move down pat and got kicked out of that one. Yeah, I was in there for the real deal. Wasn't in there to crack people up. But just happened to turn out that way."

The Kings wouldn't have been laughing if Turco won the draw, that's for sure. The joke would have been on them.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

When you're rookie goaltender gets his first start, then his firtst career win, and it's a shutout....and you're 7-1 through 8.

Life is good.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

6 road games and only 2 home games too... That makes it look that much better now doesn't it???
Old 10-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

man we look like crap tonight.....
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #22
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

8-1.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

well....

I'm getting a little bit excited about this team

I'm VERY excited about going to the AAC on friday for the hated red wings!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The gayness of Mike Ribeiro:

Quote:
DallasStars.com: What is your favorite thing to do away from hockey?

Ribeiro: "Well, I like shopping. Shopping is one of my hobbies. Most of the time I'm with my kids, I have three kids, so, I enjoy my time. It's been almost a month now away from them, but the next few months I'll get to spend time with them. If I have a few minutes or hours I like to go shopping."
hmm.....
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hahaha... Faggot!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacos weekend Stars report....

I had the very great pleasure of attending two hockey games in two nights.

I saw the same team play the same way both nights, with very different results.

The first game, agains the Red Wings looked like a giant christmas party. There were almost as many Red Wings fans as green Stars Jerseys in the crowd. It was a little disheartening, and the game itself was a joke. The Stars had a chance to win the game, but in the end made too many dumb mistakes early, and showed a lack of intensity or desire to skate hard and out work the other team.

They lost 4-3, and all 3 goals came on the Power Play. They left Turco out to dry, it wasn't his fault.

Tonight, figuring they'd rebound with a much better effort, we arrived in great anticipation. It turned out to be the 4th period of last nights game, as they once again looked like they were skating in mud.

The Kings had a goal dissallowed for kicking the puck in, and the Stars failed to convert on a 5 on 3, and 6 other power plays. At one point the Kings were out-shooting them 27-10. Brenden Morrow, new Stars captain was nowhere to be seen.

Finally the 3rd period came around and the Stars showed up. They outworked the Kings and started getting some shots on goal. They win it 3-2 on an unlikely hero's goal in Jeff Halpern, checking line center.

Two frustrating games to watch in person. I'm a little encouraged because, any of our Dallas area teams would be lucky to be able to play crappy, and still win. That's what the Stars have done 3 of their last 4 games. Play crappy and win.

But at the same time, I'm discouraged for obvious reaosns. Why can't they seem to get off to a good start?

Steve Ott was hurt tonight in a fight(?). Somehow he hurt his ankle and will be out 8 weeks. OUCH. Steve Ott is a huge part of this team.

There were two fights in about 1 minute tonight, as Matthew Barnaby took it upon himself to avenge Steve Otts' ankle right after he went to the locker room. It was great.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-28-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

unbelievable....the ducks are in overtime AGAIN.

They've gone 12 straight without losing in regulation. They actually have more losses than the stars do, and more points. Stupid point for getting to OT pisses me off.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-31-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 AM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sure enough, they win in overtime too! Anaheim is really frustrating me!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is for the Ducks....

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-31-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

^^^Long live the laughing dog!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
ames7
Diamond Member

Pretty nifty behind-the-scene video feature at the O site:
http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=6887
Follows the team around on the road in Colorado for Opening Night. I love stuff like this. Wish the Mavs would do more of it on their site.

Wonder if they do the game puck thing every game...
Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

good interview with Bill Guerin on The Ticket today too.

Apparently he has two homes for sale in Dallas if anyone wants to buy Bill Guerins old house (and you have like 2 million dollars...)

Be interesting to see if they shake off the rust and get off to a good start. The Blues put 5 on the Ducks the other night, and that's not easy to do.

by the way ames, I saw you on www.starsboard.com
Old 11-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Nice looking win tonight.

2 goals for big E, and Modano scores too.

A couple of fights at the end. A complete entertaining night of hockey!!

Also....Detroit won their 4th straigh tonight. They're sneaking up on everyone.

Stars go 10-2 on the season. Good deal.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #34
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
by the way ames, I saw you on www.starsboard.com
I see you too. It's slower than it has been in a while on that board, but it's still better than the O boards...not nearly as great as this board is though. Hope you stay active & bring some good hockey talk to the community.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:27 AM   #35
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Lindros is going to be a great addtion to this team if he can stay on the ice and use that big body.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

courtesy of www.starsboard.com, I have discovered the source of Niklas Hagmans' (#15) source of power for the awesome way he's playing this year.

Here's his new wife.

HOLY CRAP
Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So let's see....let's see

Cowboys suck, clearly.

Mavs start 0-2 (to my everlasting shame)

Rangers....well....funny.

And here are the little Stars sitting 11-2, off to the best start in franchise history.

And yet still, the hatred for hockey is so great that in the face of mediocrity and down right hopelesness (cowboys) people still won't watch a hockey game and take notice of a fantastic fantastic start.

figures.

Vancouver tomorrow, 9:00pm on KDFI 27.

Go Stars.!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #38
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It's not that people hate hockey. Football, baseball, and basketball are just better sports

Hats off to the Stars though, they've played well.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #39
ames7
Diamond Member

Is all the losing in this city contagious? When even the Stars lose, you know things aren't going our way.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Anaheim is really starting to PISS ME OFF!