Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Deron Williams to Mavs viable?

From DIMEMag.com:
Quote:
NBA / Aug 31, 2010 / 2:30 pm
Why Deron Williams Will Leave Utah For Dallas

By Andrew Macaluso

There has been speculation from Jazz fans concerning whether or not Deron Williams wants to stay in Utah anymore. After losing teammates Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer, Wes Matthews and Kyle Korver, is there any reason not to believe that Deron would want out? D-Will had an interview with David Locke (the new radio voice for the Jazz) a couple weeks ago, and he stated that he no longer lives in Salt Lake City during the summer months. Is this a sign?

I was in contact with Locke via Twitter about whether or not Deron’s heart is still with the Jazz after losing half of his team this offseason, and he stated that “Jazz fans are concerned about losing Deron, but what have the Jazz done that would make his heart be out of it? If it is, there’s nothing they can do about it.” I think losing four of the best players on his team would cause his heart to be out of it a little bit. Deron’s already stated that he’s frustrated with the way things are going in Utah, and this appears to only exacerbate his case.

In July of 2008, Williams signed a three-year extension (with a fourth-year option) for $70 million to stay with the Jazz and help bring them a title. Well, it’s been two years and there’s still no title. All the Jazz have to show for it is first round playoff exits and going over the luxury tax to bring back the same team back from ‘09, with half of them leaving during free agency this summer. It’s not that Williams couldn’t take the Jazz to a championship; it’s just his supporting cast seems to fall apart at all the wrong times.

If D-Will chooses to opt-out of his contract in 2012, where would he end up? How about following his roots in Dallas to play with the Mavericks. Deron starred at The Colony High School near Dallas, and last year at the NBA All-Star Game in Dallas, that was the happiest Williams has looked in two years. Another thing to consider is that the Mavericks will have substantial cap room in 2012, right when Deron can choose to become a free agent. If Deron ends up in Dallas, he would have a much better supporting cast than with the Jazz.

The Mavericks have one of the best shooting big men in the history of the NBA in Dirk Nowitzki. Don’t get it twisted though – he’s not a choke artist like fans believe. This is a guy who is 7-0 and has averaged 23.0 points and 8.5 rebounds for his career, all on jump shots. But let’s face it; Dirk’s never had a great point guard in his prime during his time in Dallas other than Steve Nash – and he still couldn’t lead the Mavericks to a title. Devin Harris never got the chance to prove, Jason Terry is a shooting guard and Jason Kidd is over the hill. If Dallas ends up with a Dirk and Deron combo, and that’s over 50 wins every season with just those two alone. Then you consider after the Mavs signed Deron they’d have at least $9 million to spend on another free agent in 2012 – Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Antawn Jamison will all be available.

The best part of all is that Deron has the chance to play for the arguably the best owner in basketball, Mark Cuban. Cuban is the kind of guy that will gladly go into luxury tax in pursuit of a title, which he’s done numerous of times. Deron just wants to win, and at this point, he can’t win in Utah. Maybe Chris Bosh was right, it’s time players stop mixing loyalty when it comes to free agency.

LINK

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Oh how I wish this would come true
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So Deron Williams is going to play in Dallas because he's from Dallas?

Didn't people say the same thing about Bosh?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh, we could also have KG, TD, RAy Allen or Antawn Jamison? totally awesome. This team won't be old. At least we would only need Dirk and Deron to get 50 wins.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

o man!!! If Deron want play for Dallas.I am excited.This is chance for us.This guy will help us in win championship.If this news is true.We are the best team in the west conf.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

well, it is true and he needs a ride. If anyone can pick him up and bring him down here (41mvp) here is his address and his phone number. 41mvp give him a shout.

(214) 526-0620

5025 Bowser Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209-6503

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

- but Deron was also happy about playing in some otherwise meaningless game that was held in Dallas. And I can't think of any reason other than being in Dallas for being happy about playing in that particular game.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
- but Deron was also happy about playing in some otherwise meaningless game that was held in Dallas. And I can't think of any reason other than being in Dallas for being happy about playing in that particular game.
What, just being an All-Star isn't good enough? It's not like he'll get to play 41 games in Cowboys Stadium...

Did he really say he was happy to be in Dallas? I didn't catch that if he did (but then again, I didn't watch All-Star game!)

Last edited by Underdog; 09-01-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I also seriously doubt how likely that is to happen, but if I had to pick one of today's best young guards to start building around in a few years as the Dirk Era winds down... how could we do any better than this guy?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
well, it is true and he needs a ride. If anyone can pick him up and bring him down here (41mvp) here is his address and his phone number. 41mvp give him a shout.

(214) 526-0620

5025 Bowser Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209-6503
no problem.But I have some trouble.I don't speak well in english language.Give me your phone number.I call to you and with you I will take Deron.And we go back to Dallas.What you think?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did he really say he was happy to be in Dallas? I didn't catch that if he did (but then again, I didn't watch All-Star game!)
he who? Deron? Why worry about what he thinks? The article says that being in Dallas for that game was the happiest Deron's been in years. ipso facto, Deron wants to marry Dallas and have it's babies.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
41mvp
Golden Member

Deron will be happy in Dallas.He want play for MAVS.Mavs fans will love him.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
he who? Deron? Why worry about what he thinks? The article says that being in Dallas for that game was the happiest Deron's been in years. ipso facto, Deron wants to marry Dallas and have it's babies.
Them's gonna be some ugly-ass babies...

Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
no problem.But I have some trouble.I don't speak well in english language.Give me your phone number.I call to you and with you I will take Deron.And we go back to Dallas.What you think?
Hell yea. I mast tell to you tho. If he gets anywhere near me and a court, I will dunk on his ass! I don't give a care who is he! Call to me.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

I might begin to wonder why DW would be unhappy enough to want out of Utah just because Boozer and some other players are no longer there. I realize he and Boozer had good chemistry between the two of them. But if he is that good he should be able to play with and bring the other players up to the same level. Dirk was very unhappy when Nash left but his efforts brought the team to even higher level after Nash was gone. Just have a weird feeling about DW in this respect.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deron starred at The Colony High School near Dallas, and last year at the NBA All-Star Game in Dallas, that was the happiest Williams has looked in two years.
Who wrote this, a delusional 5th grader? That has to be one of the most awkward "that" clauses I've ever seen.

Its not going to happen. Deron Williams is amazing, but its just flat out not going to happen.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Jazz wont trade him to a west contender, maybe dont trade him at all.

Probably we dont have cap in 2012 and we gonna be old like shit, specially Dirk and Haywood.

Wont happen.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
41mvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Hell yea. I mast tell to you tho. If he gets anywhere near me and a court, I will dunk on his ass! I don't give a care who is he! Call to me.
give my your phone number.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
give my your phone number.
(214) 526-0620

Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
41mvp
Golden Member

Quote:
(214) 526-0620
THX when I can call to you?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Underdog

This thread is getting HOT!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

haha anytime.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
41mvp
Golden Member

ok.If this tread will be complete.I call to you.ok?

Maybe you have skype.This will be easy conversation.
If you have skype give my your number.

Last edited by 41mvp; 09-02-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
SMC0007
Guru

This thread has been complete! Also, this is showing up on the radar as one of the gayest things I have ever been involved with... this week. Call to that number man, your answers await.

Also, Deron Williams is coming over this evening to play some Fifa 11, yes it's not out yet but he has it because he is a big time superstar and pulled some strings.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Quote:

Well ... I think the three main factors are

1) Dirk and Bosh play the same position for the most part
2) Bosh doesn't want to play center
3) Bosh is Lebron's "lapdog"

--------------------------------

Aside from that, the timing seems perfect except that Dirk will be two years older. Kidd and Terry will be coming off the books. Even if everything else stayed the same (we resign Chandler, Butler, etc.), I think our roster would be significantly better than it is today. Hopefully, DoJo will develop into a strong starting two guard for the Mavs. If we got Deron Williams through free agency (without giving anything up) ... we could have Roddy play the same role JET plays now. We'd also probably have first round draft picks and a few assets stocked up.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
41mvp
Golden Member

I can't call.This conversation will be very expensive.
If you have SKYPE give me your number.I want talk with you.
Show me in Dallas Mavericks roster name Deron Wiliams.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is this gonna happen, or what?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #28
SMC0007
Guru

Nope. We're done with getting difference makers. The only studs/stars we will have are the ones we draft that work hard and become one in the same fashion Dirk did.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #29
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Is this gonna happen, or what?
Are you talking about the basketball match between SMC0007 & 41mvp, or getting Deron Williams?

Last edited by Underdog; 09-02-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you talking about the basketball match between SMC0007 & 41mvp, or getting Deron Williams?
Either both or neither...not sure which.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Either both or neither...not sure which.
Great stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #32
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

From RealGM:
Quote:
Deron Next To Ask For Trade?
Sep 02, 2010 5:16 PM EST

Following free agency, this summer has been dominated by trade rumors involving Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

While discussing Anthony on Thursday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote a quick paragraph on Jazz point guard Deron Williams.

"I have a feeling he's next for all these trade stories," a Western Conference official said of Williams.

Utah has seen the departure of Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer and Wesley Matthews since February. Al Jefferson was quickly acquired with little given up in return and the team spent its lottery pick on Gordon Hayward.

LINK

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 09-02-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #33
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

From mavsmoneyball.com:
Quote:
Speculation into the Future - Deron Williams

by Bryan Gutierrez on Sep 8, 2010 1:28 PM CDT

Any time a disgruntled NBA player vents to the media, fans go crazy and start playing amateur-GM and start working out trade deals that are "can't miss" and they get the star and the championship is in the bag. More often than not, that situation hardly ever happens according to "the plan" but those proposals do make for interesting debate. One thing to remember now, these sets of circumstances are likely to happen much more now in the post "Decision" age. There is a situation right now in the NBA that is really under the radar that could emerge in the next few years and it could have a very serious impact on the Dallas Mavericks.

There was an article on Dime Magazine a little over a week discussing the idea of Deron Williams and his potential discontent with the future of the Jazz potentially leading him to make his way back "home" to the Dallas Mavericks.
If D-Will chooses to opt-out of his contract in 2012, where would he end up? How about following his roots in Dallas to play with the Mavericks. Deron starred at The Colony High School near Dallas, and last year at the NBA All-Star Game in Dallas, that was the happiest Williams has looked in two years. Another thing to consider is that the Mavericks will have substantial cap room in 2012, right when Deron can choose to become a free agent. If Deron ends up in Dallas, he would have a much better supporting cast than with the Jazz.
Dime Magazine.com
Now this article is nothing more than speculation, so everything in there has to be taken with a major grain of salt. It is what it is, but then you add Marc Stein into the mix and there is a little more fuel to the fire.
Following free agency, this summer has been dominated by trade rumors involving Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.
While discussing Anthony on Thursday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote a quick paragraph on Jazz point guard Deron Williams.
"I have a feeling he's next for all these trade stories," a Western Conference official said of Williams.
Utah has seen the departure of Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer and Wesley Matthews since February. Al Jefferson was quickly acquired with little given up in return and the team spent its lottery pick on Gordon Hayward.

There is definite reasoning for the Mavericks to be interested in Williams, even if this is speculation down the road. Openly, they showed their interest in Chris Paul and were willing to throw everything outside of Dirk at New Orleans in order to get him. If they were willing to do that for Paul, it has to be obvious that they would do the same for Deron Williams. He's a hometown kid and I would put him above Chris Paul in terms of being a better point guard, I would rank Deron Williams as the best point guard in the entire NBA.

The situation in Utah definitely has the potential to turn volatile. They did add Al Jefferson and Gordon Haywood (through trade and the draft, respectively) but those additions don't overpower the subtractions. Utah is a talented team and they can make the playoffs but they've clearly shown they aren't contenders to represent the West in the NBA Finals. They run into the Lakers in the playoffs and they always end up being outmatched.

Deron has given the Jazz five years and a contract extension to try to bring a title to Utah and it hasn't worked out. He could reach the point where enough is enough and he wants to try somewhere else. You can review Williams' contract situation here. By looking at that, his contract is completely done after the 2012/13 season. Now there is always the option Deron could go the Carmelo route and start pushing the issue as early as next summer. He has a player option for the 12/13 season so 2011/12 is the last guaranteed year out of the deal.

The Mavericks have really changed their mindset over the past 5-10 years with payroll. Whether you like it or not, they've put themselves in a place of financial flexibility to where they remain a viable threat in the playoffs and are prepared to pounce on an opportunistic deal if it presents itself. Around that time where this could present itself, Jason Kidd will be at the twilight of his contract and the "passing of the torch" could be made to Williams. They already have an established relationship, Kidd was a mentor to Williams and Chris Paul during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Dirk Nowitzki will be 34-35 years old but it's highly misguided to believe that his game will truly be deteriorating at a rapid rate at that time. Dirk's game isn't dependent on athleticism and if his shooting drops a little, he will still be a well-above average shooter. He should still be able to average 23-25 points and 6-8 rebounds a game at age 34 and 35.

Williams would be 28 years old and that's definitely not old by any stretch of the imagination for the point guard. He already established himself as an elite player and has shown himself to be a player who doesn't have a terrible history with injuries, that alone can set him apart from Chris Paul. You could try to shoot down hometown theory by using Chris Bosh but it's a different set of circumstances. Bosh viewed himself and Dirk as redundant and really wasn't interested in playing the center position.

Dallas could set up contracts that help keep them competitive, bank on the development of Roddy Beaubois and hope Dominique Jones develops into a solid rotational player and line it all up to try to make this happen via a trade. They could also hope that this strategic payroll planning could allow the Mavericks to reach rarefied air where they could actually be under the salary cap and sign Williams outright. Dallas would have the hometown vibe to it, no state taxes and still offer a premiere play in Dirk Nowitzki. The change in the CBA could tweak this idea somewhat but I highly doubt it's enough to really take Dallas out of the equation.

Deron Williams in the future for the Mavericks - Foolish or the Perfect Storm?

LINK

"Talk to the claw."

Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #34
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
From mavsmoneyball.com:
That's BGMaverick9 from this site - I'm sure he'll appreciate the bump!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nope. We're done with getting difference makers. The only studs/stars we will have are the ones we draft that work hard and become one in the same fashion Dirk did.
I am inclined to agree with you. I actually hope this is true. History has shown that trading and signing difference makers (at least for the mavs) hasn't worked out. You can do that if the rest of your team is solid. But when they are not it usually results in the weaking of the team in multi other area's. There is also team chemistry to consider. It is always somewhat of a gamble. You can't always just go by a players stats because they are geared to another team and might not translate to the mavs.

Just look at what Oklahoma has done in just a few years. They have a solid team that will be solid for many years to come. Now they have the resources to work out trades or sign difference makers with out gutting their roster or selling out their futures. This was the result of long term planning and not a year by year rolling of the dice.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
I am inclined to agree with you. I actually hope this is true. History has shown that trading and signing difference makers (at least for the mavs) hasn't worked out. You can do that if the rest of your team is solid. But when they are not it usually results in the weaking of the team in multi other area's. There is also team chemistry to consider. It is always somewhat of a gamble. You can't always just go by a players stats because they are geared to another team and might not translate to the mavs.

Just look at what Oklahoma has done in just a few years. They have a solid team that will be solid for many years to come. Now they have the resources to work out trades or sign difference makers with out gutting their roster or selling out their futures. This was the result of long term planning and not a year by year rolling of the dice.
Well, considering that any recent draft pick will likely be 2-3 years away from being very good to outstanding I do not hope that we only develop difference makers. We MUST make a mid season trade with our expiring contracts or we won't be winning anything with Dirk. After reading your post again, I don't think you are necessarily against a trade with our expiring contracts for a true difference maker but, if you are, yeah - I don't agree at all.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I don't care what "history shows" because getting Deron at almost any cost would be great for the immediate future as well as for the long term
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #38
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

We will have cap space for the first time in the Cuban regime next off season. I'm excited about the summer of 2011.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC View Post
We will have cap space for the first time in the Cuban regime next off season. I'm excited about the summer of 2011.
I feel like I read some version of this statement every off season.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #40
DULLAH

DULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the rough

This would be an almost guaranteed championship.
And he's from Dallas DALLAS DDDDDDAAALLLLLAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS
Quote: