Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

I'm truly at a loss. I understand that Rick fails to understand the value of tanking, but you would think someone would force his hand eventually. Dirk or no Dirk, we have a prime opportunity to get a perrenial all star with a top 3 pick (injury risk aside).

Bagley is a better version of Chris Bosh and Ayton is the best 5 prospect (no injury concern) I have seen in a very long time.

While I'm sure I can find some value in the 5+ range picks, the reality is last year's draft was much deeper in tier 1 talent. It went 9 deep. My number 3 on the wish list was DSJ and we got him at 9. That is not the case this year. Can we get a good player at 5-10? Sure. But nothing close to DSJ or potential that we need to move our team in the right direction.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
I'm truly at a loss. I understand that Rick fails to understand the value of tanking, but you would think someone would force his hand eventually. Dirk or no Dirk, we have a prime opportunity to get a perrenial all star with a top 3 pick (injury risk aside).

Bagley is a better version of Chris Bosh and Ayton is the best 5 prospect (no injury concern) I have seen in a very long time.

While I'm sure I can find some value in the 5+ range picks, the reality is last year's draft was much deeper in tier 1 talent. It went 9 deep. My number 3 on the wish list was DSJ and we got him at 9. That is not the case this year. Can we get a good player at 5-10? Sure. But nothing close to DSJ or potential that we need to move our team in the right direction.
I agree I just don't think it's isolated to Rick. I think it's systemic from Cuban to Donnie and on down. They just don't want to fold the tent up and full on rebuild. It's this half measure plan of develop the talent of DSJ while trying to "keep the winning culture". If by some miracle it works out then cool but unless we draft a Kawhi like talent outside of the top 9 this isn't going to work IMO.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

Big time calls in that last paragraph with so little college basketball having been played to date. The pre-draft boards are going to change drastically in the months to go before the draft.

You're dead-on about the likes of Bagley and Ayton, but who's to say, at this point in time, that the draft can't be top-10 heavy? Players aren't allowed to develop anymore?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Big time calls in that last paragraph with so little college basketball having been played to date. The pre-draft boards are going to change drastically in the months to go before the draft.

You're dead-on about the likes of Bagley and Ayton, but who's to say, at this point in time, that the draft can't be top-10 heavy? Players aren't allowed to develop anymore?
If players stuck around for any amount of time I might put some stock into the idea of development. I tend to watch the prospects starting their senior year and summer ball... you know the franchise altering talent when you see it. Last year you had the best freshman class in a decade. This year you have 3-4 players who have star potential that warrants going "all in". Is it guaranteed that they fulfill their potential? No, but I would argue it's much more favorable than hoping you land a superstar FA or Leonard/Mitchell prospect. Can you do it? Sure, but it would be much less risky to just commit to getting a top 5 pick.

With DSJ and Alton, you have a very good chance to compete in 3 years.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
If players stuck around for any amount of time I might put some stock into the idea of development. I tend to watch the prospects starting their senior year and summer ball... you know the franchise altering talent when you see it. Last year you had the best freshman class in a decade. This year you have 3-4 players who have star potential that warrants going "all in". Is it guaranteed that they fulfill their potential? No, but I would argue it's much more favorable than hoping you land a superstar FA or Leonard/Mitchell prospect. Can you do it? Sure, but it would be much less risky to just commit to getting a top 5 pick.

With DSJ and Alton, you have a very good chance to compete in 3 years.
Agreed. But I guess I'm not as on board with the side that thinks we got lucky with DSJ at 9. And I think you semi-agree since you said that draft was 9 deep. I am saying I think this draft has the same potential, and that we are getting carried away by the top end talent. However, that top end talent is definitely better than last year, so I get what you're saying.

I just think it will be very hard to get into the top 4-5 given just how much worse off other teams are, and it appears it is going to get even more crowded given injuries around the league. I'm just not sold this FO and roster is going to get there. Sucks, but that's the state of where we stand among the absolutely terrible teams out there. I think we end up around 6-8 and grab a really good piece to develop along with Barnes and DSJ.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well there was that article(I can't rem if it was posted here or not) where an un-named scout said he would put the top 5 in this coming draft ahead of everyone drafted last year. So that is why I'm so disappointed, as good as last years draft was there was a few real game changers from a prospect perspective this year. We will be a 6-10 seed for quite a while at this rate.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well there was that article(I can't rem if it was posted here or not) where an un-named scout said he would put the top 5 in this coming draft ahead of everyone drafted last year. So that is why I'm so disappointed, as good as last years draft was there was a few real game changers from a prospect perspective this year. We will be a 6-10 seed for quite a while at this rate.
I understand the point here. I just want to add that I don't think all 5 would be above Fultz and Tatum. Ball was a joke to go 2 overall. Jackson and Fox would be behind the top 5 here, I'd think. But then again, in a redraft, DSJ and Mitchell would get some serious consideration to go 2 and 3.