Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap shot bowen finally acknowleged by the league.

When the league actually admits it, it's pretty sure it's true. Shouldn't be allowed to skate at all but the NBA is pretty weird.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...rancis_injury/
Quote:
League Probing Francis' Injury
11th November, 2006 - 4:11 am
Newark Star-Ledger -
Stu Jackson said he was investigating Bruce Bowen's foot maneuver that led to Steve Francis' injury Monday. He also said there would not be a suspension, meaning Bowen will be available to play against the Knicks tonight in San Antonio.

"In the past he hasn't allowed the shooter to come down," Jackson said. "I'll look at the video evidence and see if it's the technique that he's using so that he can avoid in the future."

Francis' availability is a "game-time" decision, according to Knicks coach Isiah Thomas. [READ]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

He tried it again tonight...this time on Crawford. Crawford wasn't hurt, but it led to a heated exchange between Isiah, Bowen and Poppabitch. After the game, timmy came out and said Bowen isn't dirty and guys just get frustrated by Bowen's defense.

Give me a friggin' break. They may have to put in a rule to prevent this crap just like the NFL did with the horsecollar tackling. 10 game suspension minimum would be fine by me.

Last edited by rakesh.s; 11-12-2006 at 03:28 AM.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Thomas threatens Bowen during Spurs' win

Web Posted: 11/11/2006 10:45 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Bruce Bowen stood in the hallway of Madison Square Garden late Monday, waiting for the rest of his teammates to finish showering and dressing after the Spurs' victory over New York. Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, having just left his own team's locker room, walked over to talk.
Thomas told Bowen how much he admired him. He liked his tenacity and appreciated how hard he had worked to become one of the NBA's best defenders. He thanked him for his charitable endeavors.

With the Knicks visiting the AT&T Center on Saturday night for the teams' rematch, Thomas again chatted up Bowen. This time he didn't wait until after the game. Nor was he quite as complimentary.

Thomas, in fact, had a very succinct message for how he wanted the Knicks to treat Bowen: "Break his (expletive) foot!"

Thomas would have been smarter to have his players cripple Tony Parker. Parker scored a season-high 33 points in the Spurs' 100-92 victory.

The game, however, was overshadowed by Thomas' first-quarter altercation with Bowen, which also led to a sideline confrontation between the Knicks coach and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Aware that New York guard Steve Francis sprained his left ankle after landing on Bowen's foot in the team's first meeting, Thomas became incensed when he thought Bowen stepped under Jamal Crawford while contesting a shot early in Saturday's game.

"Next time he does that," Thomas shouted to his players, "break his (expletive) foot!"

Thomas started jawing at Bowen, who said he also heard the Knicks coach threaten to "break his neck." The referees gave them each a technical.

That brought Popovich off the bench. He shouted at the officials to tell Thomas to "stop talking to my players!" Popovich then told Thomas himself, yelling at him after marching to midcourt.

Thomas initially waved off Popovich before shouting back. Both coaches were restrained by their assistants as the officials tried to calm them.

"I think Pop was just defending his player," Bowen said, "because Pop doesn't talk to players."

Bowen and Thomas glared at each other briefly in the second quarter, and when Bowen walked off the court during the ensuing timeout, Popovich told him, "Don't say a word to (Thomas). Not a word."

After the game, Popovich and Thomas shook hands, smiled and chatted briefly. Each tried to diffuse the situation.

"You know, games are emotional," Popovich said. "We all do things at times because our emotions are high or we're angry about something or we're frustrated. So it's no big deal."

Thomas said he shouted at Bowen, in part, to "stoke a little fire" in his team, which had been trailing by 13 only eight minutes into the game.

"I think Pop and I both understand and respect competition," Thomas said. "He was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing for his players, and I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing for my players.

"I do believe there's still a healthy respect. As you saw, we shook hands and kind of understood what the gamesmanship was all about."

Bowen called the incident "unfortunate," adding, "this is a game that we as professionals are blessed to play," he said. "We enjoy the game and that's what it should be about."

Tim Duncan, who was on the floor when the incident happened, wasn't as conciliatory.

"It's just a bad situation when a coach puts himself in that situation and goes after a player," said Duncan, who had 24 points and 16 rebounds. "It's uncalled for. I don't know what his intentions were with that. We've got bigger plans than to go out and try to hurt somebody.

"I would hope that people would understand and respect that. Obviously, they don't."

Even though Crawford didn't land on Bowen, Thomas said he didn't want to risk losing another player five days after Francis was injured. Francis hasn't played since he came down on Bowen's foot after attempting a shot.

"Contesting, for me, is jumping at the shot," Bowen said. "If I jumped at the shot and somebody else jumped and I'm trying to defend him, block the shot, get as close to him as possible ... how far away do you end up from a player when you contest it?"

Neither Thomas nor Crawford would call Bowen dirty. But Thomas explained to reporters in Houston on Saturday how he would have reacted if someone had stepped under him.

"I'd beat the (expletive) out of somebody," Thomas said. "Really, I would (expletive) murder them ... There's certain things you don't do."

Told before the game what Thomas had said, Popovich replied: "That's kind of a Mike Tyson comment, a little bit over the edge possibly. I'm sure he's just frustrated."

An NBA spokesman said Tuesday Bowen wouldn't be penalized for the Monday incident, in part, because he had his back turned when Francis landed on him. On Saturday, however, a league official said Stu Jackson, the NBA's vice president of basketball operations, was still reviewing the play.

Bowen has been accused by other players, most notably Vince Carter, of stepping under them when they shoot. The Spurs forward and Popovich both said they hadn't heard from the league. But NBA officials figure to take a close look at everyone's role in Saturday's incident.

Bowen has grown accustomed to finding himself in the middle of controversy.

"But isn't it a little early in the season," he said, "to already be talking about this?"
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'd want to see Thomas suspended for conduct unbecoming league personnel, but it's worse punishment for him to have to coach that team.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
He tried it again tonight...this time on Crawford. Crawford wasn't hurt, but it led to a heated exchange between Isiah, Bowen and Poppabitch. After the game, timmy came out and said Bowen isn't dirty and guys just get frustrated by Bowen's defense.

Give me a friggin' break. They may have to put in a rule to prevent this crap just like the NFL did with the horsecollar tackling. 10 game suspension minimum would be fine by me.
We've lost josh for the exact same thing. The player moving under him on a jump shot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I hate Bowen, I wish someone woud break his foot...that would teach him
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad to see Stu Jackson is looking at more film and not just this one incident with Francis. But if there is a pattern of behavior here then a little slap on the wrist and encouragement "to do better" seems pretty much against the more typical tone the NBA front office has taken against the players this season. Bowen should get a warning and if it continues then there should be some action taken against him. Has it even dawned on Jackson that part of Bowen's mystique is that the opposition becomes tentative for reasons just like this? While I think Bowen is a great defensive player, if this really does happen more often than is typical then HE has got to make some adjustments.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Now I finally am beginning to respect Isiah...

Does anyone have video footage?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary
Now I finally am beginning to respect Isiah...

Does anyone have video footage?
Then you're an idiot.

Thomas admitted that he doesn't think Bowen is a dirty player, that he didn't really think Bowen was trying to hurt Crawford, and that he was just trying to fire up his team by pretending to pick a fight.

Thomas is nothing but a punk, who's been barking in the media for weeks about how tough he is, about how many fights he had growing up, and how he hoped to imprint some of his "image" onto the Nix.

Problem is that NBA arenas aren't exactly ghetto conditions and stupid personnel moves like Eddy Curry can collect paychecks year after year without having to fight for survival.

No reason to believe a word Zeke says at this point, or from here on out.

As for Bowen, the Mavericks could use at least 3 players just like him.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 11-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Bowen is dirty. He chooses the right person and the right time to use his "foot defense". Only when the game is close enough and/or if the shooter is a high profile player will he do it. Naturally, he expects to get away with it because he targets stars who won't retaliate because their team relies on them too much. When he jumps to contest a shot he will bring his feet together in-air to make it appear as though it is a normal defensive attempt, however, at about the top of his jump he will then begin to spread his legs back out, only now he moves his lead foot (whichever hand is up that foot will follow) under the opponent's ankle while his head is turned towards the shot (following the ball). This all to make it appear natural, but infact it is dirty and he should be suspended.

I dream of the day he is stupid enough to try something like that on Shaq or Ben Wallace.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-12-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Watch the footage for yourself. I think the guy's a cheater, he lacks superstar talent and he's made up for it with dirty plays...

Players like Bowen should be banned from the league. And you'll see the Bruce Bowen "foot defense" rule soon. The NBA cannot allow scrubs like Bowen taking out the cash cow players of the league. If this were LeBron or Wade, instead of Francis and Crawford, the rule would already be implemented.
VIDEO: BOWEN "FOOT DEFENSE
VIDEO: "VINSANE FOOT DEFENSE"

and for anyone who still thinks the foot move is unintentional, I provide case #3, watch shot #2, & 5.
Video: BOWEN KILLER (Mavs fans will only be able to tolerate 45 seconds of this crap, but you'll see Bowen slide the foot under the Bowen Killer multiple times.)

Video: Expert Stupidity

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 11-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

No wonder thomas went nuts, that's almost a carbon copy of the way he crippled francis.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

Here's another one. Cheap-shot artist. Next time he comes close to sticking his foot under someone he should be suspended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTCZZRyqJBQ
Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

And dont you hate tht ugly smirk that Bowen has on his face after tht..ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...just hate the guy

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Bowen is an effin' retard.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

So let's see...

On the one hand, you've got Bruce Bowen...2-time NBA Champion, 6-time all NBA Defensive Team member (3 first-team, 3 second-team), 2-time runner up for NBA Defensive Player of the year playing pretty much better-than-textbook defense.

On the other hand, you have a lineup of whiny, prima dona jump-shooters with reputations as gutless quitters and heartless losers, who among them have ZERO NBA championships.

Those videos do NOTHING to support any contention that Bowen is a dirty player when he crowds the shooter like that, least of all the ones where Kobe torched him. With the exception of the Kobe clips (from Kobejerk.com) looks like gritty, get-in-their head defense. I'll take that every time. Not his finest moment kicking Ray Allen in the back, but there were extenuating circumstances there, and that's not the kind of play at issue where he crowds a jumpshooter.

I don't like that Bowen has historically had the ability to get in Mavs' players heads--didn't like to see Josh lose his composure like that the other night. But most of the best teams have always had at least one of those kinds of tough-minded, hard-nosed, gritty players--the kind that other players hated to play against, the kind whose own teammates hated to play against--Paul Silas, Maurice Lucas, Kurt Rambis, A.C Greene, Mahorn (okay, dirty), Rodman (okay, dirty), Oakley. Guarantee you that Thomas would sign Bowen in a heartbeat if Bowen were available (and if Zeke hadn't blown all his cap room already).

Bottom line: The championship teams more often than not have 'em. The runners-up more often than not don't.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Would be interesting to get Dirk's take on Bowen as a defender.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Mavkiki..I know you hate zeke...but it's not just a bunch of knicks that have called out bowen...it's many,many players.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Mavkiki..I know you hate zeke...but it's not just a bunch of knicks that have called out bowen...it's many,many players.
Right. Allen, Carter, Finley, and Zeke on behalf of Francis and Crawford.

I believe the phrase was "...prima dona jump-shooters with reputations as gutless quitters and heartless losers, who among them have ZERO NBA championships."

With the exception of Finley, who I don't think was gutless, heartless or a quitter, I'll stand by that assessment.

Honestly, it sounds like blind resentment of the Spurs' success that keeps people from appreciating what Bowen does. Jump-shooters hate to be crowded, hate to be defended, and hate contact. Bowen crowds them, defends them, and irritates them with contact. It's an art, and Bowen's a Picasso.

No way he should be suspended for anything he's done with Crawford or Francis, and in fact if anything comes of it, people should be seriously disturbed that Thomas and the NYKs can get the ear of Stern and Stooge when no one else has been able to over the years.

In fact, I've heard speculation that Zeke may face league action for threatening to have his players break Bowen's foot, or for personally threatening to break Bowen's neck. Doubt anything will come of that either, but as for this NYKs flare-up with Bowen, this is all Zeke's theater.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 11-12-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, Michael Finley, Josh Howard, Stevie Francis (and not just as a knick), Jerry Stackhouse, AK47, Jamal Crawford, Peja Stojakovic, Richard Jefferson, Wally szxzxxerbiak and Jason Kidd have all complained about the "defense" of Bowen (I musta missed a few?). Some of them are jumpshooting primadonnas but i have a hard time believing a team worth of allstars all have some little whiney chip on their shoulder.'

As for Isiah, the dude truly is a primadonna that is trying to throw up a smoke screen because he's totally incompetent, but it may be like T-Mac's little cry for attention when he called the Finals rigged-- they may have their own issues, but DAMNIT they are right.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2006 at 10:21 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
So let's see...

On the one hand, you've got Bruce Bowen...2-time NBA Champion, 6-time all NBA Defensive Team member (3 first-team, 3 second-team), 2-time runner up for NBA Defensive Player of the year playing pretty much better-than-textbook defense.

On the other hand, you have a lineup of whiny, prima dona jump-shooters with reputations as gutless quitters and heartless losers, who among them have ZERO NBA championships.

Those videos do NOTHING to support any contention that Bowen is a dirty player...
I agree, calls should be made on reputation alone, and not what actually happens on the court. Who cares if Bowen sticks his foot out for no other apparent reason, or if Wade elbows Dirk in the chest with 26 seconds left in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Everyone needs to shut up and give these players the respect they deserve.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #22
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, Michael Finley, Josh Howard, Stevie Francis (and not just as a knick), Jerry Stackhouse, AK47, Jamal Crawford, Peja Stojakovic, Richard Jefferson, Wally szxzxxerbiak and Jason Kidd have all complained about the "defense" of Bowen (I musta missed a few?). Some of them are jumpshooting primadonnas but i have a hard time believing a team worth of allstars all have some little whiney chip on their shoulder.'
I wouldn't ask for links except for Dirk--just out of curiosity. As for the rest of those, I'd wager the majority of complaints came after losses.

Oh, and....Kobe? One of the straight-up dirtiest players in the league. Great talent, but total cheap shotter (and also probably a rapist).

FWIW, he's also a 3-time NBA Champion, the only one of those mentioned to have more rings than Bowen (or any for that matter). Do the math.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 11-12-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Bowen is an effin' retard.
Retarded players for a retarded Team.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #24
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
As for the rest of those, I'd wager the majority of complaints came after losses.
Under what other occasion would you expect a player to talk about an opposing team's player? Players are generally focused on the season at hand and not some annoyance from one particular team.... so it is very rare to hear of players complaining about another player's STYLE of play unless ofcourse it is after a loss and your pissed off about some cheap shots.

Furthermore, let's take your argument at face value and say it was just sour grapes after a loss to the Spurs. Then why not complain about Duncan's defense and say he is dirty? Duncan is a great defender and I am sure he is responsible for frustrating many more opponent's than Bruce freekin Bowen; so frankly, I fail to see where you're going with that.

You can try to ignore Bowen's dirty tactics all you want, but it is as plain as day that his "foot work" is intentional. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck, then it's a duck. Now, I have nothing wrong with pesky defenders who crowd their opponent and get in their head, but when it comes to knowingly and intentionally trying to disrupt an opponent's game by means of threatening SERIOUS injury, then that is where I draw the line.

To do anything otherwise would be completely unethical and a disgrace to this beautiful game.

*edit spelling

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-12-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #25
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a pattern (and it seems like there is), then the NBA has to step in and reprimand Bowen. Call it good tight defense, dirty play, whatever ... the fact is that if opposing players are frequently rolling an ankle when he defends then there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Stu Jackson can try "helping" him adjust his play, if that doesn't work then the refs should start calling a flagrant foul when it happens, if that doesn't stop it then they should suspend him for a game, etc.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #26
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Right. Allen, Carter, Finley, and Zeke on behalf of Francis and Crawford.

I believe the phrase was "...prima dona jump-shooters with reputations as gutless quitters and heartless losers, who among them have ZERO NBA championships."

With the exception of Finley, who I don't think was gutless, heartless or a quitter, I'll stand by that assessment.

Honestly, it sounds like blind resentment of the Spurs' success that keeps people from appreciating what Bowen does. Jump-shooters hate to be crowded, hate to be defended, and hate contact. Bowen crowds them, defends them, and irritates them with contact. It's an art, and Bowen's a Picasso.

No way he should be suspended for anything he's done with Crawford or Francis, and in fact if anything comes of it, people should be seriously disturbed that Thomas and the NYKs can get the ear of Stern and Stooge when no one else has been able to over the years.

In fact, I've heard speculation that Zeke may face league action for threatening to have his players break Bowen's foot, or for personally threatening to break Bowen's neck. Doubt anything will come of that either, but as for this NYKs flare-up with Bowen, this is all Zeke's theater.
Chauncey Billips had the same thing happen to him in one of the nba finals games...Bowen stuck his foot underneath him and then later went over and acted like it was an accident.

by the way, chauncey IS a champion.

Ray Allen is a quitter? Did your drug dealer get fresh stock? Get that crap out of here. You might want to take it to the realgm spurs board..you might find one or two people that agree with you.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

How do the videos not show a cheap shot by Bowen? There's no way your foot naturally ends up that far in front if you are just straight up contesting a shot by jumping as high as you can. As a person who has suffered several ankle injuries playing basketball, I hate seeing a person go specifically for the ankles like that. That's pretty worthless.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Chauncey Billips had the same thing happen to him in one of the nba finals games...Bowen stuck his foot underneath him and then later went over and acted like it was an accident.

by the way, chauncey IS a champion.

Ray Allen is a quitter? Did your drug dealer get fresh stock? Get that crap out of here. You might want to take it to the realgm spurs board..you might find one or two people that agree with you.
Chauncey then is the exception. However, he later DID lose to Bowen's Spurs.

Yeah, Ray Allen is a loser, a quitter...take your pick....beautiful stroke, but he hasn't been close to winning shi*t, and isn't likely to anytime soon.

I rarely write anything for the sake of being agreed with. And you're about 7, 249 posts short of being able to send me anywhere, but who's counting.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
How do the videos not show a cheap shot by Bowen? There's no way your foot naturally ends up that far in front if you are just straight up contesting a shot by jumping as high as you can. As a person who has suffered several ankle injuries playing basketball, I hate seeing a person go specifically for the ankles like that. That's pretty worthless.
Then you'd have hated playing against me, because that's exactly what I'd have done.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #30
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and about the dirty defense is necessary to be a great defender argument, I don't really hear too many complaints about Ben Wallace's defense. There may be a few complaints that I haven't heard, but it's nowhere near the extraordinary list of enemies that Bowen has built up.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #31
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Then you'd have hated playing against me, because that's exactly what I'd have done.
Then that is pretty darn sorry of you.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah and about the dirty defense is necessary to be a great defender argument, I don't really hear too many complaints about Ben Wallace's defense. There may be a few complaints that I haven't heard, but it's nowhere near the extraordinary list of enemies that Bowen has built up.
Wallace is a beast--one of the toughest, most physical players in the league today. In case you've forgotten, it was an exchange between Wallace and Artest that started the brawl at the Palace. My vDollars would've been on Wallace.

Wallace has gotten less lip service in this regard than defenders like Mutombo (elbows), Rodman (head butts) and Artest (forearms/clothes lines...and yeah, Artest is just plain dirty), but ...the better defenders almost without exception annoy the hell out of the offensive players that they take out of their game. Close parallel to Bowen in terms of lesser skill-level combined with tenaciousness would be Michael Cooper. Cooper was about 180 lbs, but routinely took on bigger players and took them out of their game with physical, annoying, intimidating play. And he wouldn't back down either. Like Bowen, he worked to make himself something of a threat as a 3-point shooter, but wouldn't have come close to the natural ability of most of his teammates. Interesting to note that he was a Riley find; wasn't Bowen as well?

One exception to the great defender/ "dirty" defender rule---Bobby Jones of the Sixers. But he was the exception.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #33
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Then that is pretty darn sorry of you.
I'd have beaten you too.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #34
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Yes, and if I had taken out a gun and shot you 10 times, I would have beat you too. But it wouldn't be a very moral or satisfying win.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #35
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, and if I had taken out a gun and shot you 10 times, I would have beat you too. But it wouldn't be a very moral or satisfying win.
I'd have shot you first too.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #36
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:
Chauncey then is the exception. However, he later DID lose to Bowen's Spurs.

Yeah, Ray Allen is a loser, a quitter...take your pick....beautiful stroke, but he hasn't been close to winning shi*t, and isn't likely to anytime soon.

I rarely write anything for the sake of being agreed with. And you're about 7, 249 posts short of being able to send me anywhere, but who's counting.
oh brother..get the post counts involved. So you sit behind a computer and waste your life away -- big effin deal.

You'd be hard pressed to find five sane nba fans that would agree with your assessment of bowen.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #37
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wallace is a beast--one of the toughest, most physical players in the league today. In case you've forgotten, it was an exchange between Wallace and Artest that started the brawl at the Palace. My vDollars would've been on Wallace.

Wallace has gotten less lip service in this regard than defenders like Mutombo (elbows), Rodman (head butts) and Artest (forearms/clothes lines...and yeah, Artest is just plain dirty), but ...the better defenders almost without exception annoy the hell out of the offensive players that they take out of their game. Close parallel to Bowen in terms of lesser skill-level combined with tenaciousness would be Michael Cooper. Cooper was about 180 lbs, but routinely took on bigger players and took them out of their game with physical, annoying, intimidating play. And he wouldn't back down either. Like Bowen, he worked to make himself something of a threat as a 3-point shooter, but wouldn't have come close to the natural ability of most of his teammates. Interesting to note that he was a Riley find; wasn't Bowen as well?

One exception to the great defender/ "dirty" defender rule---Bobby Jones of the Sixers. But he was the exception.
I don't mind a little physical play from a player, but trying to injure the ankles is another thing. Bruises hurt, but they heal. Ankle injuries can take a long while to heal, and NBA players are very susceptible to ankle injuries to begin with. And make no mistake, that is EXACTLY what Bowen was going for on that Francis play.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-13-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You just admitted Bowen's act was intentional, which contradicts your previous argument that he's not a dirty player.

Unless you think breaking ankles isn't dirty, in which case I'd like to know what you think playing dirty is.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #39
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
oh brother..get the post counts involved. So you sit behind a computer and waste your life away -- big effin deal.

You'd be hard pressed to find five sane nba fans that would agree with your assessment of bowen.
Guess I'd just have to go with the people from the league who voted him to all those all-defensive teams.

As for post count---I've been HERE longer than you have, and have probably watched both the Mavericks and the NBA longer than you've been alive. So no offense if I don't take some Johnny-come-lately, bandwagonerring homer's suggestion to go post on a Spurs' board.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 11-13-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #40
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
And make no mistake, that is EXACTLY what Bowen was going for on that Francis play.
I disagree. At least based on what you can see from those videos. Looked like good tight defense to me.