Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs ready to pass on trades

Mavs ready to pass on trades
Donnie Nelson: 'This is the group we'll go to battle with'

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SALT LAKE CITY – The Mavericks kept working as the clock ticked toward today's NBA trading deadline, but any chance of a deal probably passed last week.

The Mavericks had a mild interest in at least two power forwards, including Golden State's Clifford Robinson, who was traded to New Jersey on Feb. 14.

Another target was Toronto's Donyell Marshall, one of the hottest names in trade speculation the last two weeks. The Mavericks did not get close on either front. And with Robinson already dealt and the Mavericks apparently out of the running for Marshall, it appears the 2 p.m. deadline will pass without them making any moves.

"Barring a miracle," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, "this is the group we'll go to battle with."

The Mavericks elected not to pursue another center in the wake of Erick Dampier's foot injury.

"I like the team," Don Nelson said. "I don't love the team because there's no perfect team. But they are good lads and they work hard."

Daniels looking forward:

When he got back in action Wednesday night, it marked Marquis Daniels' 30th game played out of 52. Somehow, it seems like less than that – even to him.

"I missed a lot of basketball," the 6-6 swingman said. "My goal is to keep playing through June."

That would require a trip to the NBA Finals, something that is not as far-fetched as it seemed a couple months ago. Daniels said his body is as good as it has been all season. His sore left ankle has improved measurably with nearly three weeks of extra time to heal after he had an appendectomy Feb. 4.

"Every time I say I'm back, I get hurt or something happens," he said. "I don't want any setbacks this time. I still have a little soreness from the appendectomy, but other than that, it's OK."

Daniels understands that some players go through much worse than he has endured this season. He also said that the Mavericks could be extremely dangerous once they get a healthy roster.

"That'll be scary for a lot of opposing teams," said Daniels, who wore a pad to protect his abdomen.

Eventful break:

Center Alan Henderson probably had the most exciting All-Star break of any Maverick – he got married.

Henderson and his bride, Maxine, were wed in Hawaii on Saturday in a ceremony attended by about 25 family members.

"Everything went smooth and the weather was great," said Henderson, who remained mum about any bachelor party that may or may not have taken place.

Break needed:

Even though the Mavericks swept a four-game trip before the All-Star break, the long rest could not have come at a better time, Don Nelson said.

"We sucked everything out of that team," he said. "I don't think we could have won another game. The only thing that would have helped it was four days off. We couldn't have won another game. And beside that, we got lucky. We could have lost all four of them."
Old 02-24-2005, 02:13 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs ready to pass on trades

6 straight wins on the road. That is the best part.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Booth for Marshall would be nice. Raptors get a true center which is a weak spot for them and we get a power forward who can rebound and spread the field with his 3s on the offense.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

And so like a crack addict trying to refuse free crack Cuban and the Nelsons just can't say no to a trade at the deadline. It's time for Van Horn to saddle up and get ready to play.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:Mavs ready to pass on trades

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
And so like a crack addict trying to refuse free crack Cuban and the Nelsons just can't say no to a trade at the deadline. It's time for Van Horn to saddle up and get ready to play.
LOL! I was just about to post something like this in this thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Did I miss the 5 o' clock free crack give away?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #7
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I WISH we had passed on trades but alas we did not do so.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Did I miss the 5 o' clock free crack give away?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You shouldn't be allowed to make me laugh this much at this time of the night. Then again, I guess it is my fault for not having read this earlier.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

And although we joke using "crack addicted" metaphors... Cuban and this organization truly need an intervention. Barring a miracle this will be the end of my post...

nope.
Quote:
Check the other threads - this is my first, and will be my only, post about Keith Van Horn.

I voted against the trade, but started to drink the kool-aid when I saw 70% in favor of the move. I especially liked the move after we got henderson back. HOWEVER, this is the first time I've seen KVH live and I can now officially judge him...

Keith Van Horn = Antoine Walker.
The guy is exactly the wrong guy for this team at this time. Period. He defensive shortcomings combind the disinterest of Dirk, awkwardness of Bradley, and the sense of Walker. By the time the rest of the team realizes how to play with, and what to expect from VH, it will be too late. It's truly amazing how much the guy sucks.

This was the wrong move for team chemistry. Dirk and Mike know that players come and players go - but Cuban/Donn/Nellie convinced everybody that they were staying put. Then they trade 2 hard working vets for former 2nd tier player and tell everybody it was a "no-brainer." HORSESHIT. How the fuck can anybody be on the same page? I guarantee you the lockerroom is in complete disaray at this very moment.

And to think, those assholes still pulled the trigger on a deal that sent away a physical forward and a real center - in exchange for a forward whose entire game runs counter to the "new" maverick philosophy - when they already knew Dampier would miss most of the month of March. Don't spend the first 4 months of the season talking about a defensive mindset - then trade away 2 defensive players for 1 offensive player. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! Cuban should know better than to let Nellie have the excuse.

Don't tell me about injuries. I don't care that this is only the 4th game VH's played with us. I don't want to here how everything will go back to normal when Damp gets back.

CHECK THIS - The moment Nellie leaves the Mavericks become contenders - until then any success we have is purely circumstantial.

Avery will define specific roles and stress the importance of team play. Avery will motivate this team with positivity and precision. Avery will not stand for uninspired play or underachievement. Avery will win consistently because the team will maintain consistency. Everyone will know what to expect and no-one will get mixed messages.

Next year folks, next year.