Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #41
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
His downside is mike vick. I mean he is a better runner and he is already a better passer so at worst he is vick if he doesnt get hurt. I think vick sucks so that isnt saying alot but he will start in the nfl for a long time whether he goes pro this year or next. I think hes gone though.
I completely disagree on him being a better runner. The bread and butter of his running game is breaking tackles with his size and running over Backs and Linebackers. Well that simply will not happen in the NFL, and he doesn't have the raw quickness that Vick has.

To succeed, he will have to become a primarily pocket passer with some running, like McNabb, and I don't think he's capable of that in the NFL.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it'll happen in the NFL...just not to the same extent.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that while he isnt quite as quick as vick he surprises people with his quickness because he is effing huge. I have met the guy once and i am a relatively big guy, (6 2 245) and he freakin dwarfed me. He weighs 250 if he weighs a pound. Guys see that and then he makes the moves he makes which are damn close to vick both in pure speed (Vick is not a 4.2 nor the fastest guy in the nfl) and in terms of moves, the moves shock defenders because vince defies the laws of physics.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #44
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts on VY as an NFL QB.

First of all it will happen. Hopefully not next year. I do think he should stay in school and I still think he will. He wants that Heisman.

1. Is he smart enough to be an NFL QB? No doubt about it. He is an amazingly intelligent young man.

2. Does he make good on-field decisions? Absolutely. Sure he has made mistakes but he is rock solid above average.

3. Is he fast enough? This one gets me thinking. I don't think he will out quick NFL linebackers and defensive backs like he does college equivalents. He's fast, but he is NFL average.

4. Is he strong enough? He will break tackles like a hot knife through butter in the collegiate ranks, but like 5-0 said.....it ain't gonna happen in the Big show. He will break many NFL tackles before his career is over, but that will not be his defining trait IF he is successful in the NFL.

5. Can he throw the long ball? I think this debatable. He has a nice arm but I don't know.

6. Can he throw over NFL defensive lines? This one concerns me. If you watch him play, you will quickly realize that he throws a very flat intermediate and short pass. Some of these are ropes to be sure, but NFL guys get into lanes that college guys don't. He is certain to be an interception machine if he can't adjust. There was a lot of talk about his flat passes earlier this year in our athletic department. We thought we might have been able to pick a few but he is so dang fast that he ran around the lane coverage.

7. Intangibles. This kid is rock solid. He has a good head, a great demeanor and you will not read about him in the police blotter. He is a studious athlete and very intelligent. He will not make the stupid mistakes (outside of normal rookie errors) and he will not let the team down off the field.

I still think Vince is one of the most amazing athletes that I have seen come through the college ranks ever. I love to watch him play. I am not sold on his prognosis to be an above average NFL QB, although I do wish him well. I think at this point I would give himn a 75% of becoming Danny Wuerffel, a 15% chance of becoming a spectacular QB and a 10% chance of becoming Daunte Culpepper.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-06-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with some of your assertions doc but until this year the 15% and the 10% were the same thing. Culpepper was overshadowed by manning but his year last year is one of the top 10 years by any qb in the history of the nfl and before everyone says it was moss, moss was hurt most of last year.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #46
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I used Culpepper. He's a big strong successful QB. This year was an aberration. To me though, Culpepper is an average plus NFL QB. I love the guy too....I have his home jersey. Culpepper has disappointed me a bit with the Love Boat thing, but I still like the guy. He plays with a lot of heart.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-06-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #47
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I should have posted this here.... sorry. But read this.