Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #41
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all
Default RE: trading Tariq (his contract) for a 2nd rounder???

Fraudulently? Who are they defrauding?

They arent defrauding TAW, cause contrary to what you say they havent contracted to allow him to compete for a position. They arent defrauding the NBA, whose rules allow a team to put a player on the so-called injured list without an injury existing.

The Mavs have done what is allowable per the NBA rules and the contract. Those rules are negotiated on, by a union that TAW belongs to. So the Mavs are fully within their rights, if that is what they feel is in their best interest, in putting him on the injured list for as long as they deem necessary.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Putting someone on the injured list for 3 years when they are not injured is putting him on there "fradulently". Fraudent: adj. Engaging in fraud; deceitful...

This would be what they are doing if wahad has been healthy for 3 years and they have forced him on the injured reserve list. I don't know if you are legally correct or not, however I would imagine that there are some rules about having someone on the list when they are not injured for years and years. I don't know that, but I have a hard time believeing that it can be done. As others have said medical doctors and insurance companies have also agreed that he must be injured (as they are still paying insurance) therefore this discussion is probably moot.

It would be the same thing is the mavs decided tommorrow to put finley on the injured reserve list for the next 4 (or however many) years of his contract so that his contract would be paid by insurance, I dont' think that would work.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you doubt that an insurance company is going to shell out millions just because a team says a guy is injured? I do. There's gotta be something to the injury claim.

I don't think either party is getting cheated here. The Mavs knew what they were getting when they acquired Wahad. Wahad knew what he was doing when he signed his contract. From all accounts, he hasn't given them any less than they asked of him. Wahad is getting paid nicely, so no one is going to shed any tears for him. It looks like a win-win proposition. The Mavs may even parlay his contract (and injury situation) into something of value. Hey, everyone wins! It's a wonderful life.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:trading Tariq (his contract) for a 2nd rounder???

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Don't you doubt that an insurance company is going to shell out millions just because a team says a guy is injured? I do. There's gotta be something to the injury claim.

I don't think either party is getting cheated here. The Mavs knew what they were getting when they acquired Wahad. Wahad knew what he was doing when he signed his contract. From all accounts, he hasn't given them any less than they asked of him. Wahad is getting paid nicely, so no one is going to shed any tears for him. It looks like a win-win proposition. The Mavs may even parlay his contract (and injury situation) into something of value. Hey, everyone wins! It's a wonderful life.
bang.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #45
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:trading Tariq (his contract) for a 2nd rounder???

Quote:
You can buy insurance for anything you want--it's just a matter of money. I don't know anything about the way the NBA's insurance on injured players works, but it's very likely that no real injury is required (in the sense of an injury that would absolutely prevent a player from playing--almost all NBA players have injuries of some sort after a few years).

But the insurance company wouldn't issue the policies if they didn't make money at it.

So, yes, it is a wonderful world.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote