Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #281
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the case, we don't need the Rangers nor the Mavericks. GO BOYS!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #282
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Rangers just non-tendered Aki.....

I hope to God this means he's still hurt and won't pitch this season.

Either way....goodbye last remnants of the horrible, horrible Chris Young trade (assuming they don't resign him after the non-tender, which would be odd)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #283
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Rangers finalise deal with Bradley

PA SportsTicker
Published: Friday, December 14, 2007

Milton Bradley Milton Bradley Getty Images
Share This Story
The Texas Rangers have finalised a one-year contract with Milton Bradley after the free agent outfielder completed a medical.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"We are very excited to add a player of Milton's calibre," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "He is an impact player on both sides of the ball and we look forward to seeing him in a Rangers uniform."

Bradley, 29, split last season with the Oakland Athletics and San Diego Padres, batting a combined .306 with 13 home runs and 37 RBI in 61 games.

After beginning the season with Oakland, Bradley was acquired by San Diego on June 29.

He hit .313 with 11 home runs and 30 RBI in just 42 games for a San Diego club that narrowly missed the post-season.

Bradley will be a major improvement in the outfield for the Rangers, who reportedly had showed interest in signing a free agent centre fielder to a long-term deal in the off-season.

Unable to land Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones, who both went elsewhere, the Rangers settled for a short-term solution in Bradley, who has struggled to stay on the field for various reasons over the last three years.

The switch-hitting had also considered re-signing with the Padres.

After sparking the Padres' limited offence, Bradley ended his 2007 season in bizarre fashion while engaging in a confrontation with umpire Mike Winters on September 23.

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker....9141197532735A
Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #284
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

yawn
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #285
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So the Rangers made a pretty significant trade last night.

Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton.

Hamilton's infamous personal history is troubling but supposedly behind him. Hamilton's injury history is even more troubling and we can only hope mostly behind him.

If he can stay healthy, you're talking about an above average defensive centerfielder with middle of the lineup offensive potential.

I hate to see Volquez go, I think he could turn into a solid pitcher, especially in the national league, but I'm shocked the Reds couldn't get more than this package for Hamilton.

Plus now Hank has someone to compare tats with....

Very exciting trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-22-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #286
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I just hope Hamilton somehow brings the coach that has been taking care of him. If you've seen any pieces on him, you'd know what I mean. He doesn't give himself any chances to relapse, because he knows its so easy. Hopefully the rangers set up a great support system for this guy. Especially now, with a change in scenary, and probably more pressure to succeed
Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #287
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i am in love with the josh hamilton trade. if his injuries and personal problems are behind him we are talking ken griffey jr before he started getting hurt every year. I dont think everyone especially here realizes how good he is. His 922 ops would have been 21st in all of baseball last year if he had qualified and number 1 among cfs let alone plus defensive cfs. I am a little worried about trading volquez because if he puts it together he could be scary but i we have a ton of young arms(and ill be absolutely shocked if blake beaven isnt the ace of this staff within 3 1/2 years and yes i know how fast that is)

Speaking of beaven, he is a ton better than kershaw was in high school.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #288
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Other than injuries, the only thing that scares me with Hamilton is the small sample size his last season was.

However, you're talking about someone who was rightfully pegged as a sure thing along the lines of Griffey and Arod when he was the #1 pick. The small sample size doesn't bother me as much when you realize how little he actually played before last season. Really remarkable performance under those conditions.

Inujuries are the biggest thing.

I too hate giving up Volquez. He has a lot of potential, and even if he realizes only a part of it, pitching in the NL will inflate his worth in the eyes of Ranger fans judging the trade in the future.

But seriously, if Hamilton maintains his production from last season, we just aquired our best hitter and overall player for Edinson Volquez, and he's 27 years old and under team control for like 5 seasons.

Huge risk, but my goodness could it be a huge trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-22-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #289
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Other than injuries, the only thing that scares me with Hamilton is the small sample size his last season was.

However, you're talking about someone who was rightfully pegged as a sure thing along the lines of Griffey and Arod when he was the #1 pick. The small sample size doesn't bother me as much when you realize how little he actually played before last season. Really remarkable performance under those conditions.

Inujuries are the biggest thing.

I too hate giving up Volquez. He has a lot of potential, and even if he realizes only a part of it, pitching in the NL will inflate his worth in the eyes of Ranger fans judging the trade in the future.

But seriously, if Hamilton maintains his production from last season, we just aquired our best hitter and overall player for Edinson Volquez, and he's 27 years old and under team control for like 5 seasons.

Huge risk, but my goodness could it be a huge trade.
I think this trade helps the rangers now because i think a starting centerfielder who could be a superstar is more helpful than a number 5 starter with upside BUT the more important thing is i think it helps long term. In even the most rose colored of glasses the rangers long term outfield outlook wasnt great. The pitching was. This trade could end up exploding on daniels but in my opinion no matter what happens from here out its a good trade at the time.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #290
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I think this trade helps the rangers now because i think a starting centerfielder who could be a superstar is more helpful than a number 5 starter with upside BUT the more important thing is i think it helps long term. In even the most rose colored of glasses the rangers long term outfield outlook wasnt great. The pitching was. This trade could end up exploding on daniels but in my opinion no matter what happens from here out its a good trade at the time.
Very true. Most people that only follow the major league team will lament the Rangers giving up pitching for hitting. The reality is that right now the Rangers have FAR, FAR more high level pitching prospects than outfield prospects.

In fact, the outfiefld prospect list is practically completely bare, aside from this past draft.

So as crazy as it is to say, the Rangers traded a strength to fill in a weakness.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #291
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Very true. Most people that only follow the major league team will lament the Rangers giving up pitching for hitting. The reality is that right now the Rangers have FAR, FAR more high level pitching prospects than outfield prospects.

In fact, the outfiefld prospect list is practically completely bare, aside from this past draft.

So as crazy as it is to say, the Rangers traded a strength to fill in a weakness.
yep. I still think mayberry will figure it out(he reminds me alot of rios) and i definitely like engle beltre but aside from that all the rangers had in the minors were guys like boggs that we were talking ourselves into liking. And honestly mayberry fits into the talking yourself into liking too.

For those of you that dont know hamilton he is unquestionably the rangers best player right now if he doesnt get hurt/have the other issues.

also one other funny tidbit, i doubt seriously volquez could throw harder than hamilton. His outfield arm is amazing.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 12-22-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #292
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

What I see in Josh Hamilton is Jim Edmonds (I read that comp on Newberg's forum and like it). You can't help but root for him, and it excites me what he has the potential to do here (and the existence of the DH will probably help when it comes to injuries). Hamilton is instantly our best offensive player, and suddenly the lineup doesn't look that bad at all.

DH Catalanotto
SS Young
CF Hamilton
3B Blalock
RF Bradley
2B Kinsler
C Salty
1B Broussard/Shelton
LF Murphy/Byrd

I like what that lineup may be able to do (assuming Bradley will be able to play the field to start the year... if not, I can handle Cat playing left to start things).

And with an outfield of Murphy/Byrd (both good defenders in left), Hamilton in center, and Bradley in right, the pitchers will be helped out a ton.

I wish Eddy the best, but a trade like this has to be made. Hamilton has otherworldly talent, and if the Rangers make the commitment to get him the support system he needs (I expect CJ Wilson to have a lot to do with that), we could have a very special player here.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #293
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
I just hope Hamilton somehow brings the coach that has been taking care of him. If you've seen any pieces on him, you'd know what I mean. He doesn't give himself any chances to relapse, because he knows its so easy. Hopefully the rangers set up a great support system for this guy. Especially now, with a change in scenary, and probably more pressure to succeed
That coach was Johnny Narron, brother of former Ranger manager Jerry Narron, and he's been hired by the Rangers to do exactly what he did in Cincy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #294
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

good to hear. And good to know that he accepts the fact that having this man to watch over him, is best for him. Showing weakness is tough for any man, but embrassing the situation shows this kid at least is trying to stay on the right track.