Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #41
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Mark Cuban coming up on The Ticket momentarily....supposedly.

6 months...the NBA off-season kills me.

The NHL starts a full month earlier than the NBA, and only starts their playoffs a week earlier. I don't know why, but that extra month from October to November just pisses me off. We need NBA in early October, dammit. Training camp in September.
Agreed. I wish the off-season was shorter. But, aren't the NBA playoffs long enough? And you definitely can't extend the regular season to more games and/or add more time between the games. That's why the Rangers have to keep winning =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #42
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Every time I hear him speak (especially with the multiple praises of Donnie and Cuban's ability to overhaul roster in just this presser) I get the distinct feeling that Carlisle is expecting some kind of "big move" this off season to improve the roster.

How could that happen without moving Josh?
I get the same feeling, Sike.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban just called "the brawl" team a bunch of "knuckleheads"...I wonder if he would be against grabbing Artest?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #45
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Q: What do you say to the people who say you said you just hired Avery 2.0

A: They don't know him then...I didn't hear him (Rick) use the word "Me" the entire time....

woah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #46
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004
I loved the story he told about his rookie year in Boston.

Carlisle is a great communicator.
Anyone would sound great after listening to Avery for 3 years.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The best part was when Rhynes shot back "Well what does that mean?"

long pause....

Cuban:<urgently> "Nothing"
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #48
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

hahahahahhaa
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

"Josh Howard, I think, is going to be back at the top of his game with something to prove"
Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Anyone would sound great after listening to Avery for 3 years.
they are just on differently levels of hoop talk...AJ spoke in such generalities...Carlisle has some serious depth as a basketball man.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #51
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The best part was when Rhynes shot back "Well what does that mean?"

long pause....

Cuban:<urgently> "Nothing"
I love Cuban...that was professionally uncouth....but a pretty dang honest revelation on his personal opinion about Avery....

A bus just ran over backed up and re-ran over Avery.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #52
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

A: They don't know him then...I didn't hear him (Rick) use the word "Me" the entire time....

everyone needs to read this over and over and realize how revealing this is on Mark's opinion of Avery...this speaks volumes.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #53
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

I know this a little off-topic, but with the recent coach changes, do you think Nash would come to Dallas after finishing his last season in Phoenix next year? By then Kidd should be done. Dirk-Nash reunited anyone?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #54
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

wow! and the fighting words are flying left and right.

Can you guys picture Dallas playing against Avery next season and Avery/Cuban arguing on the court disputing a call? I can seriously see it happening.

Contact Me
Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #55
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
wow! and the fighting words are flying left and right.

Can you guys picture Dallas playing against Avery next season and Avery/Cuban arguing on the court disputing a call? I can seriously see it happening.
Cuban wouldn't leave his sideline or his team's bench to argue with an opposing coach....you crazy, alby.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #56
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:
I know this a little off-topic, but with the recent coach changes, do you think Nash would come to Dallas after finishing his last season in Phoenix next year? By then Kidd should be done. Dirk-Nash reunited anyone?
lets get younger...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #57
alby
Guru

things I've learned in this thread:

-Avery believes Dallas will miss the playoffs next season and the only reason they made it this year is because of him.
-Cuban believes Avery is self absorbed, arrogant, and an idiot of a coach.

you learn something new everyday haha..

Contact Me
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #58
alby
Guru

Quote:
Cuban wouldn't leave his sideline or his team's bench to argue with an opposing coach....you crazy, alby.
we both know it's going to happen, followed by a 500k-1million dollar fine from Stern. To be honest with you, I CAN'T WAIT!

Contact Me
Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #59
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
lets get younger...
No! I want Nashy!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #60
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
you learn something new everyday haha..
or in this case....two things.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Mikael Pietrus has to be their top free agent target. I've been through the list and it's kinda lackluster in free agency this year. He fits exactly what Carlisle wants though, athletic, defensive, and can shoot the three. Plus he oozes with potential, especially in a different system IMO.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-14-2008 at 04:49 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #62
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Mikael Pietrus has to be their top free agent target. I've been through the list and it's kinda lackluster in free agency this year. He fits exactly what Carlisle wants though, athletic, defensive, and can shoot the three. Plus he oozes with potential, especially in a different system IMO.
What makes you think he won't go to the Hornets? They will be looking for a 2/3 this offseason too.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #63
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
MP has been a name of interest for a couple off seasons now...and Nellie has proven that he will not make him a focal point. So are we unwise automatically assume that Nellie is wrong in his assessment of MP and that he is really a much better player than the playing time he gets in GS?

MP would probably not be a big enough splash...not the kind of move I think Carlisle is expecting.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #64
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
MP has been a name of interest for a couple off seasons now...and Nellie has proven that he will not make him a focal point. So are we unwise automatically assume that Nellie is wrong in his assessment of MP and that he is really a much better player than the playing time he gets in GS?

MP would probably not be a big enough splash...not the kind of move I think Carlisle is expecting.
Why do you think he is expecting a splash? He's said nothing, but tweaks. Unless you've mutated abilities to read minds or forsee the future, what are you talking about?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #65
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Why do you think he is expecting a splash? He's said nothing, but tweaks. Unless you've mutated abilities to read minds or forsee the future, what are you talking about?
I listen well and understand subtly. No joking.

But I don't think you need to be a genius or soothsayer to hear that Carlisle is expecting some roster overhaul. He has said several times this roster will be shuffled this off season. But in saying that, he has also been (understandably so) supportive of Josh Howard.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #66
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to be 'inspired' by anything until we get to the Finals again.

It's much too often that these 'inspirations' and 'hopes' for a great season lead to another letdown.

Last edited by Windmill360; 05-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #67
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wish this guy would stop mentioning Larry Bird....Dirk is not Larry Bird
Dirk is better.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #68
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly convinced that Josh will be back, at this point. Not saying I am fully on board with that, but it seems like it'll happen. I don't agree that Carlisle is expecting any major overhauls--just filling the 8th-15th slots.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #69
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd love to get Pietrus here as a sixth man, just to make is quicker and more potent offensively. But yeah, I agree, that can't be our biggest offseason acquisition.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #70
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I'm fairly convinced that Josh will be back, at this point. Not saying I am fully on board with that, but it seems like it'll happen. I don't agree that Carlisle is expecting any major overhauls--just filling the 8th-15th slots.
Its a bet (albeit a weak one with nothing on the line)...I say something will happen to bring in a player who could be considered an "impact player"...and you do not. (8-15 is not impact in this bet)

do we have said bet?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #71
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its a bet (albeit a weak one with nothing on the line)...I say something will happen to bring in a player who could be considered an "impact player"...and you do not. (8-15 is not impact in this bet)

do we have said bet?
I will be downright shocked if there isn't a move made for an "impact player" this offseason.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #72
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I will be downright shocked if there isn't a move made for an "impact player" this offseason.
that is because you and I are almost always on the same track, spiral.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #73
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Between the Q&A with Mavs.com, the interview with Galloway and the press conference today, I don't think there's any way Carlisle expects this top 7 to remain the same.

Whether he expects a major trade is up for debate. But the numerous times he talked about the possiblilities of roster turnover, the ability of Cuban and Donnie to remake the roster on the fly, etc etc, I think it's clear he expects impactful players to be aquired this offseason.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #74
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Someone explain the story about him being a rookie in Boston.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #75
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

do we have said bet?
No, we don't have a bet, because we could potentially get an impact player without trading Josh.

My only assertion is that Josh will be here. If you want to bet on THAT, I'll accept.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #76
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
that is because you and I are almost always on the same track, spiral.
Word!

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sike again.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Someone explain the story about him being a rookie in Boston.
I would imagine it's in here.

Link

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #78
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
My only assertion is that Josh will be here. If you want to bet on THAT, I'll accept.
*How quickly we forget*...

uh...that was clearly not your only assertion: "I don't agree that Carlisle is expecting any major overhauls--just filling the 8th-15th slots."

suck it, sucker.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #79
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
I listen well and understand subtly. No joking.

But I don't think you need to be a genius or soothsayer to hear that Carlisle is expecting some roster overhaul. He has said several times this roster will be shuffled this off season. But in saying that, he has also been (understandably so) supportive of Josh Howard.
JHO had a tough season, any props he can get from the higher ups, will drive up his value. Cuban isn't going to come out and say this guy sucks and we're going to trade him, he won't say anything until the player/coach is gone from his duties for his team. It's a wait and see on how things go. Terry's making 9 million, Stack 7 million, combined that's 16 million salary, so there's a way to make a splash without moving Howard, but aside from Dirk, I think the entire team is tradeable for the right pieces.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #80
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Word!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thespiralgoeson again.

dang it...we're too in love for our own good!