Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #321
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
dude1394;1072362
Roddy shoots the ball better, FG and 3pt% and he looks to have less turnovers too (per game), so while JJb has more experience and has been around longer he isn't showing it in games.
Roddy 1.1 in 10 min vs Barea 1.3 in 20 min. Plus Barea gets 3 assists for that 1.3 while Roddy gets 1.

Still Barea is failing this team and Carlisle miserably. He's starting to hesitiate on his shots, and his passes are telegraphed. I'm all for trying Jet at the backup point again.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #322
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
how in the world did the Wizards suck so bad?
Bad coaching. Bad management. Bad chemistry.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #323
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I remember a game a couple of seasons ago in the Staples center, there was a small intermission while the refs were reviewing a shot clock issue or something. So out of boredom, Dirk took the ball over to one of the baskets and started shooting jumpers. Then Pau casually walked up, Dirk fed him a bounce pass, and the two of them started a little shoot around for a couple of minutes. Quite a difference from the American jerk culture where you don't help an opposing player off the floor.
Yeah, players nowadays just take it too far. There's nothing wrong with competitive nature but I think the sportsmanship in our league is very poor. Guys who act like thugs are praised, and the good guys like Dirk and Gasol will be called soft. There's nothing soft about either of them, Pau and Dirk are similar in that they're not the most athletically gifted or strongest players. But both work so hard on their games, and have improved over the years. Obviously, Dirk is the better player but I'll never have an issue with Gasol because he's a shining example of hard work and sportsmanship. And so is Dirk.

Last edited by LSMF; 02-25-2010 at 03:24 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #324
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanObvious View Post
Didn't catch the game 'cause of work. But DAMN this team is on a ROLL!!!

I love DeShawn Stevenson. My bro said he absolutely gave Kobe fits.
Lebron Stopper??? He just might be!

Any news on CB? Would he play in the next game?
DeShawn played excellent defense on Kobe. made him work for everything. grabbed 3 boards too in 24 minutes. Dirk really stepped it up on the defensive glass. the entire team did. can't wait to see this team with a healthy Damp
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #325
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Plus for every block, there are dozens of deflections and changed shots. It also means our perimeter guys can play more aggressively knowing they have a solid help-side defender. My post wasn't really aimed at your post about the incredible turn-around in defense, but it really addresses a major reason why.
Oh and SO very little double-teaming required....greatness. Wait till we get ahold of d'em spurs...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #326
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I was extremely impressed with Haywood's double team knowledge and instincts. He's a heck of a defender.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #327
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
dude1394;1072362

I get that there are some folks that rail RC and I do not agree with it, he's a good coach. The ones who actually know what they are talking about aren't the ones who hammer Carlisle. On the same token, no one is perfect and that includes Rick. There is really only one complaint from me. Roddy had some turnovers last night but JJB missed a few easy or close buckets and it lead to a fast break once if I recall correctly. Missing those shots can be the same as a turnover in some cases while you at least had a chance at a bucket, unlike a turnover, you didn't finish the high % chance and that hurts.
Good post...Only bit I would quibble with is equating a missed shot with a turnover. If that were true then there would be about 40+ per game. JJB got good shots for himself and others, shots that he has been making all year and missed 'em. So he was doing everything they wanted except missing shots. I expect RC will continue running both of them out there like he did. Try roddy and if he throws it all over the place trot out jjb.

The problem as I see it is that there will be a much more likely chance of roddy tossing the ball all over the place in a playoff game than jjb...so imo if Roddy is the backup he's going to cost us some games via poor mistakes, jjb might because of missed shots (or not).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #328
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
One of those games that was amazing to watch, yet it scares me. JET shot amazingly well. But we know how inconsistent he is. It just seems we live and die by the JET. Then again I might just be overly doom-and-gloom about it, as Caron wasn't playing, but it still scares me.
Just FYI, but Jet was 10-20. Fifty percent is obviously a nice little shooting percentage, but it's hardly "amazingly well." t's not like the guy played out of his mind making half of his shots.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #329
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a relative thing, him now compared to him, well, the rest of the season pretty much. Last night every shot he took looked good, was in rhythm, not forced, and he mixed it up nicely. Very rare this season to see him play as well as he did last night.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #330
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Just FYI, but Jet was 10-20. Fifty percent is obviously a nice little shooting percentage, but it's hardly "amazingly well." t's not like the guy played out of his mind making half of his shots.
+rep

Without Terry playing out of his mind, we lose this game by quite a bit, obviously. So to those shortsighted people calling for Jet's head, he just helped hand us a statement game against the Lakers. This is why we keep this guy around. Does he sometime take poor shots, and every once in awhile shoot us out of games? Yes. But he also tends to show up in big time games, during crunch time. This, if nothing else, is something that is VERY hard to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #331
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think MOST of the people who have issues with Jet are shortsighted. I like Jet on the whole, but I realize he's not the player he once was. What really vexes me is whenever a guy has ONE good game and they point their finger and say "See, what now!?"

Listen, almost every player in the NBA can/will put up big games from time to time, that doesn't change their season/career long flaws/attributes.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #332
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He played roddy last night. 3 tos in 5 minutes. What's the dude supposed to do?
Did you not read my whole post? I said if he's not comfortable with Roddy, he needs to play Jet at the 1 w/ DeShawn/Butler at the 2.

And as bad as Roddy was last night (not really bad so much as nervous
I think...and yes, that is partly on RC. He won't play Roddy vs. scrubs for days but suddenly throws him into the fire vs. LA). He still wasn't nearly as bad as JJB. JJB really killed our momentum for a bit in the 2nd quarter on both sides of the ball. It's not a "slump", it is what it is.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #333
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Did you not read my whole post? I said if he's not comfortable with Roddy, he needs to play Jet at the 1 w/ DeShawn/Butler at the 2.

And as bad as Roddy was last night (not really bad so much as nervous
I think...and yes, that is partly on RC. He won't play Roddy vs. scrubs for days but suddenly throws him into the fire vs. LA). He still wasn't nearly as bad as JJB. JJB really killed our momentum for a bit in the 2nd quarter on both sides of the ball. It's not a "slump", it is what it is.
I agree Roddy looked more nervous than anything. ESPN featured game against the championship defending Lakers after a ground breaking trade and sky high expectations ... you can't blame him. RC should definitely keep feeding the kid some minutes.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #334
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
RC should definitely keep feeding the kid some minutes.
He will.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #335
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
It was a relative thing, him now compared to him, well, the rest of the season pretty much. Last night every shot he took looked good, was in rhythm, not forced, and he mixed it up nicely. Very rare this season to see him play as well as he did last night.
It was definitely one of his 2 or 3 best games of the year, but again, it was hardly an otherworldly performance. He made half of his shots. He just happened to take a lot more than he usually does.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #336
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Kidd's Fountain Of Youth

DALLAS -- Jason Kidd has apparently found the fountain of youth in 12-ounce plastic bottles.

The Dallas Mavericks' iron-man point guard is racking up big minutes this season, in particular during the team's eye-opening 5-1 run since the All-Star break. That's when owner Mark Cuban pulled the trigger on a seven-player trade, shipping the discontented Josh Howard to Washington and delivering three playoff-starved souls in Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The newcomers have clearly added a spark to a previously lethargic team that limped into the break having lost five of seven while playing no defense. Suddenly, though the Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz and Thunder are the rage of the Western Conference, the re-energized Kidd and the Mavs are lurking beneath the surface.

More proof came Wednesday night when the Mavericks outgunned Kobe Bryant and the visiting Lakers in the fourth quarter for a 101-96 victory, tying Dallas' longest win streak of the season at five and pushing it to a season-best 16 games over .500. While Dirk Nowitzki scored 19 of his 31 points in the second half and Jason Terry poured in 18 of his 30 in the first half -- on a night when Caron Butler was a late scratch due to a bad reaction to medication -- it was the consistent, end-to-end play for 40 solid minutes by old man Kidd that stamped this victory.

Kidd finished with 14 points, 13 assists and seven rebounds. All four of his field goals were 3-pointers. His bomb to beat the third-quarter buzzer put the Mavs back up by two and set up a quick burst to start a fourth quarter in which they never trailed.

Kidd will turn 37 on March 23. When he does, his age will finally be greater than the minutes he's currently averaging this season (36.1). In the past six games, he's made age seem irrelevant. He's averaged 37.7 minutes while posting 40 or more minutes in four of the six games. Only a 28-minute outing in a blowout of Indiana on Monday dipped his average.

He's averaged 14.2 points during the stretch, pouring in double figures in each game, while knocking down 45 percent of his 3-pointers (18-of-40), not bad for a guy who hasn't averaged double-digit points since the 2007-08 season. During the six-game stretch, Kidd has also dished out 9.0 assists, grabbed 6.3 rebounds and made 16 steals, mostly by anticipating the passer's intention and picking it off.

"I feel as if I'm 20-something years old. I mean, I don't have any aches or pains when I wake up, nothing's really sore," Kidd said. "I've just been doing my same routine I've been doing for the last some-odd years."

For a player who has missed just eight games in the last six-plus seasons, there's nothing terribly scientific or cutting edge about Kidd's maintenance program.

"After games I sit in the ice tub for 15 minutes," Kidd said, "shower, go home, have something to eat."

Then he paused and thought about one thing he has changed in his routine since coming to Dallas, a change inspired by team trainer Casey Smith, who Kidd has come to know closely not only with the Mavs but also with Team USA during the Summer Games in Beijing. Smith served as an athletic trainer for the gold-medal winners.

"The biggest thing Casey has helped me with is to drink water," Kidd said matter-of-factly. "He started with baby steps, getting me to three bottles a day and now I drink a lot more than that and it's made me feel a lot better.

"It's funny how you take things for granted, but water has helped me."

Nowitzki has certainly been impressed with Kidd's post-All-Star stretch, easily Kidd's most productive run since February 2008 when he returned to the team that drafted him 17 years ago.

"I think he just knows that after the [All-Star] break you have to step your game up. He's been around for so long and he's just taking it a little further, taking his game to the next level after the break," Nowitzki said. "He's been phenomenal. He looks energized, he's pushing the ball. He's battling big guys in the paint, so he's been great."

Water, Nowitzki was informed, is Kidd's anti-aging secret.

"Water?" Nowitzki said, chuckling. "All right, sweet. Whatever it takes."
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...224/daily-dime
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #337
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

They really need to get Beaubois some shots to get his confidence up. He gets frustrated after many possessions of just ignoring him on offense. He has proven he can hit open jumpers already.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #338
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
They really need to get Beaubois some shots to get his confidence up. He gets frustrated after many possessions of just ignoring him on offense. He has proven he can hit open jumpers already.
Priorities of the Fourth-Place West Team, Making Its Post-ASG Playoff Push

1a. Mesh new acquisitions in with core roster and gel before mid-April
1b. Win as many games as possible
2. Keep top seven or eight rotation guys in a good rhythm and healthy

192. Get the rookie some more shots so he won't get frustrated

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #339
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Getting Kidd below 40pg would be good too, right?

I still think Roddy could be a weapon come playoff time. If he is able to come off the bench in just one game a be a spark (like 10 quick points or something) that basically changes the whole series.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #340
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
You got owned:

yo kobe, tell me how his ass taste!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #341
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Mavs Have the Firepower to Compete With Lakers

It's just not cool to say that a single regular-season game has much meaning, not in an 82-game schedule with the playoffs looming.

But this one did.

Much like the Magic beating the Cleveland Cavaliers earlier in the week, the Mavericks whipping the Los Angeles Lakers decisively Wednesday night was more than a little significant, proving that it's far too early to plan for that much-anticipated NBA Finals of LeBron vs. Kobe.

Don't even bet on it now.

Just when you thought everything had fallen into place, that the Lakers would walk into the Finals to defend their title, the Mavs reminded everyone why they made that trade at the All-Star break.

This is their time. Without saying too much, they believe the Lakers are beatable now in a best-of-seven series.

"It's going to be a very interesting series (with the Lakers),'' newly acquired center Brendan Haywood told FanHouse last week. "I can't wait.''

Haywood, Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson were added in a brilliant trade from Washington, giving them just the right pieces to counter the supposedly-unbeatable Lakers.

Butler didn't even play Wednesday, but Stevenson did, and he pestered Kobe Bryant enough to throw him off his game, which throws off the Lakers world. Stevenson isn't about to call himself a Kobe stopper, but he has just enough irreverence that he enjoys pushing his bushy beard into Kobe's face.

And Bryant doesn't like it. You could see it Wednesday night. Unlike a lot of guys who try to guard Bryant, Stevenson isn't intimidated.

Somewhere in the new schemes of under-rated coach Rick Carlisle, the Mavs have found the key to slowing Kobe. In his four games against them this season -- a 2-2 split -- Bryant has averaged only 16.3 points, while shooting 40 percent. He may have torched them in the past, but not now, not recently.

If that's not proof the Mavs can win against the Lakers, then the rest of the roster is.

Haywood gives then the veteran center -- more mobile than Erick Dampier -- who can negate LA's Andrew Bynum. In Dirk Nowitzki, they already have a power forward much better than LA's Pau Gasol. And in the battle of the old-time point guards, Jason Kidd can beat Derek Fisher every time. The matchup at small forward -- Ron Artest against Shawn Marion -- is a wash.

Yes, the Lakers have Lamar Kardashian in reserve, but the Mavs have a more explosive sixth man in veteran Jason Terry, who ran rings around the Lakers Wednesday night. The addition of Butler and Stevenson actually has helped him focus.

The Mavs (37-21) are playing their best basketball of the season at just the right time, riding a five-game winning streak going into Atlanta Friday night. Another win there will just further the belief that they have become the chosen team.

They are loaded with scorers, but their defense has been even better. The Lakers were the sixth consecutive team that failed to reach 100 points against the Mavs, joining good offensive teams like the Suns, Magic and Thunder.

Before they can see the Lakers at the Western Conference final, the Mavs must first get past the Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz and all the other contenders out West.

Yet none of them are daunting to the Mavs, anymore.

There is a maturity and confidence now about the Mavs -- which might have been helped by the departure of the unpredictable Josh Howard -- that is unmistakable.

Nowitzki remains haunted -- and focused -- by the failure of 2006, when they led the Miami Heat, 2-0, in the NBA Finals, only to lose the next four games.

It's something that clearly has stuck with him, pestered him ever since. In an interview earlier this season with FanHouse, Nowitzki admitted that his great career will be marked by that failure -- unless he can bring the first NBA title to Dallas in the future.

For him, that future could be this season.

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 02-25-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #342
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Much like the Magic beating the Cleveland Cavaliers earlier in the week, the Mavericks whipping the Los Angeles Lakers decisively Wednesday night was more than a little significant, proving that it's far too early to plan for that much-anticipated NBA Finals of LeBron vs. Kobe.
I was thrilled with the win last night, but I hardly think a 5-point victory that was decided in the final minute qualifies as the Mavs "whipping the Lakers decisively."
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #343
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I was thrilled with the win last night, but I hardly think a 5-point victory that was decided in the final minute qualifies as the Mavs "whipping the Lakers decisively."
Yeah I did a double take when I saw that.

BEAT LA
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #344
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Kind of silly to include that when you talk trades. The Mavs could have drafted Dirk without the trade. All the trade really netted them was Pat Garrity. Which was certainly used to get Nash. But I'm not counting a trade that basically netted them Garrity as that great a trade.
Why is it silly? It was still a trade. It's kinda silly for you to call it silly.

Why don't you give us a list of trades that shouldn't count as trades. At that point, it should be ok for us to make a list that you find more appropriate.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #345
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Getting Beaubois confident equals Kidd not having to play as much as well as keeping Barea out of the game. I'd say it is pretty big.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #346
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Getting Beaubois confident equals Kidd not having to play as much as well as keeping Barea out of the game. I'd say it is pretty big.
I promise you, RC and Kidd will both manage Kidd's minutes much better than you could ever hope to. Carlisle is pushing for the 2-3 seed. Resting Kidd and playing Roddy will cost us at least a few games. If we draw the Lakers before the finals Kidd's fresh legs may all be for not. You don't realize the importance of getting the 2-3 seed, its huge.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #347
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69CDQm4_j4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbvv48wmHH8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUwYIs1ha5o

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #348
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

today's "the basketball Jones":

Ep. 521: Challengers

Quote:
On today’s show, Skeets and Tas dissect the new-look Mavericks. What defensive combo seemed to frustrate Kobe? How will the Wizard additions help down the stretch? Does Dirk own a Roc-A-Fella Records chain? All that, plus a struggling Lakers’ offense, Morey bargains and the arena wave — cool or not?
edit: nvm, not really worth listening. There's not half as much Mavs-talk in it, as what I expected from the description.

Last edited by mavErika; 02-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #349
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

great quality, thanks for sharing!

Btw, the third one is the Roddy block on Farmar (I was just the second viewer), first two are Dirk's and Jet's buckets.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #350
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforlife09 View Post
I promise you, RC and Kidd will both manage Kidd's minutes much better than you could ever hope to. Carlisle is pushing for the 2-3 seed. Resting Kidd and playing Roddy will cost us at least a few games. If we draw the Lakers before the finals Kidd's fresh legs may all be for not. You don't realize the importance of getting the 2-3 seed, its huge.
I'd rather play the Lakers than the Nuggets. Billups owns us every time we play. Their whole style play is really tough for us to handle. Kinda like Golden State a few years back. So Carlisle is making a big mistake by playing Kidd such heavy minutes in the regular season.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #351
ReDirkulous Tyme

Quote:
I'd rather play the Lakers than the Nuggets. Billups owns us every time we play. Their whole style play is really tough for us to handle. Kinda like Golden State a few years back. So Carlisle is making a big mistake by playing Kidd such heavy minutes in the regular season.
Yet another area that would be so easy to criticize in your logic, but I'll mostly leave it alone.

1. The Lakers are superior in every aspect to the Nuggets, you would be incredibly stupid to want to play the Nuggets as opposed to the Lakers. Although we won last night, I promise you the playoff version of the Lakers far superior to the Nuggets.

2. While we may not have been able to match up with the Nuggets early in the season, at this point, they're going to have a hard time matching up with us. The Nuggets no longer concern me as far as match ups. Yes, Billups is a Mavs killer, but he kills virtually everyone. Would you rather face Billups/Melo, or Kobe/Bynum/Gasol/Odom? Right now, barring injury to any of our rotation players, the Lakers are by far the scariest team for the Mavs to face in the playoffs.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #352
LonghornDub

Quote:
There are ways to limit Kidd's minutes that don't involve "getting Roddy more shots so he is more confident." Those will be the ways in which Kidd's minutes are limited.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #353
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yet another area that would be so easy to criticize in your logic, but I'll mostly leave it alone.

1. The Lakers are superior in every aspect to the Nuggets, you would be incredibly stupid to want to play the Nuggets as opposed to the Lakers. Although we won last night, I promise you the playoff version of the Lakers far superior to the Nuggets.

2. While we may not have been able to match up with the Nuggets early in the season, at this point, they're going to have a hard time matching up with us. The Nuggets no longer concern me as far as match ups. Yes, Billups is a Mavs killer, but he kills virtually everyone. Would you rather face Billups/Melo, or Kobe/Bynum/Gasol/Odom? Right now, barring injury to any of our rotation players, the Lakers are by far the scariest team for the Mavs to face in the playoffs.
Like I said. The Nuggets style of play hurts us more. Lakers aren't a running team. Yes they got a lot of fire power but so did the Spurs of 2006. The Lakers play that same style. So Lakers are similar to Spurs while the Nuggets are more similar to the Warriors. Mavericks have always had more trouble with running teams. Kidd only having to guard Fisher and not Billups is quite an important thing imo. And the Nuggets just cause chaos with all their athleticism. See the blowout before the all-star break.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #354
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are ways to limit Kidd's minutes that don't involve "getting Roddy more shots so he is more confident." Those will be the ways in which Kidd's minutes are limited.
I saw many times in Roddy's last few games where he was wide open and the Mavs players didn't even look at him. I know from experience that is very frustrating to get ignored on the offensive end. I'm not saying for him to take shots off the dribble. Just be allowed to shoot if the opening is there.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #355
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Full game download in HD - ~3,5 GB in total.

Quote:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHKH8MYN
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4LYUXU6V
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W3QVSLD4
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PESKUFOU
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWAO5JCM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MZY4J32S
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y3FMPGFW
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=76MU2ZYE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E8GY2FS0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1791O8GF
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HMRBB7U8
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=66NCTMJR
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VMVEFUID
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1SM1HB63
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32RZT4TG
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5SOZ95J1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T137TR0W
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=14ZSJZUG
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2M74BDGU
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X650CL2I
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0S8H54QI
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AIYHVRZ7
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NJDTGQ0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ES885S0D
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AEWJJ1D7
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TUDJLFS2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YTVUVDYK
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EUCCTXM9
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LVJ47UES
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M247YSFH
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=15H4DAXT
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MWJEGJB3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4N28OJRS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZAGN4BQ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LGGKWZ4B
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7FZNS1JY
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1LO0IWM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RSDSFVPN
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I241D4MG
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KAQ4YMR8
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EUCCTXM9

Last edited by GermanDunk; 02-26-2010 at 01:34 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #356
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

lol
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #357
ReDirkulous Tyme

Quote:
I saw many times in Roddy's last few games where he was wide open and the Mavs players didn't even look at him. I know from experience that is very frustrating to get ignored on the offensive end. I'm not saying for him to take shots off the dribble. Just be allowed to shoot if the opening is there.
Well you confirmed my suspicions that you never played the game at any high level. Combine this, and your absolute obsession with Roddy, and they = large amounts of garbage spewing from your mouth. I'm all for Roddy getting more burn....but that may not be this year. Sure, throw him in the game when we have a nice lead, or are playing a team so bad it doesn't matter, but at this point in the season we absolutely CAN NOT risk losing games just to get the rook some shots.

Don't get me wrong, i'm thrilled with the potential and talent I see in Roddy, but I can all but guarantee you that you won't get to consistently see it until next season. So please, learn to deal with it.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #358
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well you confirmed my suspicions that you never played the game at any high level. Combine this, and your absolute obsession with Roddy, and they = large amounts of garbage spewing from your mouth. I'm all for Roddy getting more burn....but that may not be this year. Sure, throw him in the game when we have a nice lead, or are playing a team so bad it doesn't matter, but at this point in the season we absolutely CAN NOT risk losing games just to get the rook some shots.

Don't get me wrong, i'm thrilled with the potential and talent I see in Roddy, but I can all but guarantee you that you won't get to consistently see it until next season. So please, learn to deal with it.
Who do you think you are talking to me like that? You don't know me. Roddy already proved what a weapon he can be offensively if you've been watching the games. His last few shots were forced as he was not getting any help from his teammates. That had to do with having poor bench players playing around him as well though. The Mavs are not going to lose games because of Roddy. If anything, they might win games as they get another scoring threat that teams will have to respect. This team can't continue relying on Kidd always being on the court if they seriously want to win the whole thing. Depth is important. If Stevenson can get shots, Beaubois can get shots.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #359
jamyoa

jamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these parts

Ref's always try to bail out the Lakers in the final minutes, especially in a close game. They did it against Warriors, Thunder, Memphis and they tried to bail them out against the Mavs! That's my only concern if the Mavs! face the Lakers at the WCF! The ref's will be the Mavs! biggest enemies!
jamyoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #360
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyoa View Post
Ref's always try to bail out the Lakers in the final minutes, especially in a close game. They did it against Warriors, Thunder, Memphis and they tried to bail them out against the Mavs! That's my only concern if the Mavs! face the Lakers at the WCF! The ref's will be the Mavs! biggest enemies!
the refs were ok for the most part but late in the game that offensive foul they called on Terry after he got MUGGED curling around the double screen was atrocious
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!