Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #41
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The Magical Game 5 Gamethread - Dal v. Sac

Queens jump out on the Mavs by 25 in the 1st quarter. Nellie gets his fat @$$ tossed with 2 technicals. Mavs finally play a center and make a dramatic comeback to win by 1.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:14 AM   #42
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Queens jump out on the Mavs by 25 in the 1st quarter. Nellie gets his fat @$$ tossed with 2 technicals. Mavs finally play a center and make a dramatic comeback to win by 1.
Now wouldn't THAT be something to see.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #43
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

it's not over until I say it is:
Posted on Thu, Apr. 29, 2004

This may still be a seven-game series

Jim Reeves - In My Opinion

Somehow, I feel like the last man at the Alamo. Everybody else has gone home and left me holding the fort and I'm really not up to the assignment.

For the past 24 hours, all I've heard about is what's going to happen when the Mavs lose this first-round series to Sacramento.

Ramifications, Brother Galloway called them in his Wednesday missive. Sounds grim.

Ditto for beat man Art Garcia, who gave us a preview of what's likely to happen once the Kings finish off the Mavs, probably tonight in Game 5 at Arco Arena.

Even head coach Don Nelson said Tuesday, the day after the Mavs' 94-92 loss in Game 4 at AAC put them down 3-1 in the best-of-seven series, felt like "a day of mourning."

Et tu, Nellie? Giving up so easily?

I must be the only fool in Fort Worth-Dallas who thinks the Mavs can still win this thing. Seven games, I told you the other day. I'm sticking with that prediction until the bitter end.

Why?

• Because as bad as the Mavs have been at times in this playoff series, the Kings have done almost nothing to impress me. They are not nearly as good a team as they've been in previous playoff matchups with the Mavs.

• Because if the Mavs hit just three more of their 13 missed free throws Monday night, the series is squared at two games apiece.

• Because two plays, each with eight seconds left, separate the Mavs from being the team that's up 3-1 in this series.

• Because I just happen to think the Mavs, with all their problems, are the better team in this series.

• Because I want to see the Mavs wipe the smirk off Doug Christie's face.

• Because I want to see Eduardo Najera show that insufferable Chris Webber one more time that the Mavs can and will play physical basketball.

• Because I think Steve Nash and Michael Finley are better than this.

• Mostly, because I want to see Nellie get the last play of the game right for once.

Put the ball in the best player's hands and let's see what he can do. Give it to Dirk Nowitzki, for crying out loud.

How hard is that to figure out?

Nellie tried Finley on an isolation play, and that failed miserably. He tried getting Nash and Dirk to run the screen-and-roll, even though he admitted afterward he knew there wouldn't be enough time for the play to set up and work.

That forced Nash to try and shoot over 6-foot-10 Peja Stojakovic while Mike "Mini-Me" Bibby took Nowitzki out of the play. Are you kidding me?

"We ran our strong two-man game and didn't really have time to post on the [Nowitzki-Bibby] mismatch," Nellie said after the game.

Excuse me? The Mavs had the mismatch they wanted, but Nash couldn't get the ball to Dirk. Why call a play that you know beforehand won't have time to develop?

Twice the Mavs had a last chance to tie a critical playoff game and twice the ball never touched Nowitzki's hands. What's wrong with this picture?

Get the ball to Dirk, clear out and let him work. He'll get the shot or, if the Kings double-team, he can find the open man.

Right here, right now, in the playoffs, is when Nelson needs to forget about a Big Three and go with a Big One.

Put this thing on Dirk's back and ride him as far as he can take them. Sure, he had a lousy game Monday night. His legs lacked life and he couldn't finish his shots, even though he was going hard to the basket.

But that's what the Mavs must do. It's time to make Nowitzki the focus of everything the Mavs do offensively. He'll need help, of course, or it won't work anyway. But they're not getting there riding Finley, or Nash, or Antoine Walker or the rookies or anyone else.

It's Dirk, or it's nothing.

Here's what the Mavs must do to win tonight. They must take the game to Sacramento. They must come out breathing fire. They must play as they did in Game 3 on Saturday night in Dallas.

Pedal to the metal, baby, or else all these doomsayers will be absolutely right.

Put some pressure on the Kings and see how they react. Win tonight, and bring it back to AAC for Game 6. Win that one, and let the Kings start sweating about blowing a 3-1 lead.

And believe me, no one sweats like Vlade Divac sweats.

That's the formula. Now the Mavs simply have to make it work.

They can still do this, but obviously it's not going to be easy.

Certainly the odds are stacked the other way, which is why most of the rats abandoned this listing, if not sinking, ship long ago. But I'm a stubborn rat. If the ship's going down, I'll ride it to the bottom.

The Mavs have been a lousy road team all season, but they did win in their first visit to Arco. They've won there when they've had to win, too.

We all know the Mavs are a better shooting team than they've shown. They're due to get hot and stay hot for a spell. But the key, of course, is Nowitzki.

He has to believe in himself. He has to believe that he can psychologically lift his team, just as Shaq and Kobe lift the Lakers, just as Kevin Garnett carries the Timberwolves. The Kings, even with Peja, have no one who can match Nowitzki when he's at the top of his game.

They need him tonight, like they've never needed him before.

Chances are the Mavs have already blown this thing. Winning three in a row is an almost impossible task. The Kings, smelling blood in the water, will be doing everything they can to end it tonight.

This could be the final scene. If it is, if you're about to bombard me with an e-mail barrage, or an idiot alert, let me warn you with the same words Billy Bob Thornton's Davy Crockett spit in the faces of the Mexican troops at the Alamo as they came at him with fixed bayonets.

Watch out, I'm a screamer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #44
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

A win is possible, just like in the last 4 games.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #45
sbjensen

sbjensen will become famous soon enough

all evidence points to a Sac victory, going away:
1) we've been terrible on the road all year;
2) Sac has all the momentum and confidence after Game 4;
3) Tuesday found the Mavs whimpering in "mourning" like whipped puppies, rather than howling like cornered wolves;
4) we haven't shot well since the third quarter of Game 1; and
5) Fin and Nash have yet to show up in the series.

So, of course, I think the outcome will be:

Mavs 108, Sac 101.

Dirk goes for 40 tonight.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #46
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The Magical Game 5 Gamethread - Dal v. Sac

I hope they show something tonight. I am not holding my breath.

Mavs 105-98
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #47
Chelette

Chelette is on a distinguished road

It going to be a very tuff game for both teams, no doubt about it.......one with the mind set up to close the series, the other one to survive........who will win,,,,,,,I really hope the Mavs win, for their own good, and to elevate their confidence.........then game 6 at home....and then game 7 at Sacramento..................hope to see a very intensive games......
And at the end, the winners will be Us.. the fans.........

Game 7 at Sacramento........I will like to start that game treath, if you people dont mind.............

For now let Us pray...............

Our Father, who art in NBA,
allowed Us win this game If Kings will come.
so we not be done on game 5 and 6 and win game 7,.
Give us today a good shot percentage,
and forgive us our missed shots, TO and fouls
as we try to blowout those who play against Us,
and lead us not into elimination, but deliver us from Webber..
AMEN.

Chelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #48
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Amen !!!

Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #49
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chelette
For now let Us pray...............

Our Father, who art in NBA,
allowed Us win this game If Kings will come.
so we not be done on game 5 and 6 and win game 7,.
Give us today a good shot percentage,
and forgive us our missed shots, TO and fouls
as we try to blowout those who play against Us,
and lead us not into elimination, but deliver us from Webber..
AMEN.
I was at first a bit offended.... but then I kept reading and laughed my ace off. It's gone. No more ace. I now can't sit down.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #50
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

I'm not going to make a prediction other than Nellie gets fined for wearing his favorite muumuu to the game.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #51
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Go Mavs!!!

My opinion wont be said, but I just hope that I'm wrong. Dirk will fight til the end, but will he be the only one???
Old 04-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #52
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs show some heart and come out with both guns blazing. Kings are content to try again another day.

Mavs 124
Kings 103
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #53
Chelette

Chelette is on a distinguished road

Well the time is now......Migthy Mavs...show Us fans, We can be proud of you....even if you loose..(I Pray The Lord not to) let Us feel that you gave the best of you............

No score, but a very close game........
Chelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #54
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Momentum means nothing. We beat my by 25 then we lay an egg and miss 13 free throws and lose.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #55
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
"We ran our strong two-man game and didn't really have time to post on the [Nowitzki-Bibby] mismatch," Nellie said after the game.

Excuse me? The Mavs had the mismatch they wanted, but Nash couldn't get the ball to Dirk. Why call a play that you know beforehand won't have time to develop?
Another in an almost infinite amount of excellent reasons why Nellie should be in Maui next year.

Mavs are going to work as hard as they did in game four, but the shot will fall tonight. Fin shows up and the rooks will impress, but Dirk steals the show.

GO MAVS!!

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #56
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road

and so here we meet again elimination...

...you and me. i mean you don't really want to do this, do you? i'm coming home from school on may 1st and there better be a game 6 to go to where i can get rowdy, loud, and proud for the mavs. i've even got my mavs song ready for the free ticket contest. so don't even show up. i don't want to see your face at arco... nuh uh. not tonight. we are gonna play through this hole we've gotten ourselves in. we're better than that, and you know it. no celebration or praises for the kings tonight. YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!! BOO YA! I LOVE THE MAVS!

and even if you happen to show yourself at the game tonight... don't think i'll even pay attention because as sports fans like to say... "there's always next year." forever a dallas fan...

mavs sneak up on the kings... 111-106

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #57
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching the Bucks and Mike Redd and just wondering what could have been.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #58
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Et tu, Nellie? Giving up so easily?
How appropriate! I'm teaching Julius Caesar right now.

Anyway, back to the Mavs...I hope they win. I don't feel they will in my gut, but my gut also told me they would lose game 3 and win game 4. So who knows, maybe they will surprise a few people! GO MAVS!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #59
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

n

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 02-15-2007 at 12:58 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #60
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Absolutely horrible mistake. Who gets' that one? Cubes, nellie, both, all three?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #61
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:

Absolutely horrible mistake. Who gets' that one? Cubes, nellie, both, all three?
This one is on Cuban. He screwed this one up bigtime. Nellie has alluded to this fact delicately through the media.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #62
Bookit
Diamond Member

The Mavs just might get blown out in this game. But then again the Mavs might win big. It doesn't look like it will be a close game. Nellie is really changing things for this game. Nellie won't be calling set plays and he won't have Nash and Dirk on the same side of the floor. Sounds good to me! What's not to like.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #63
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

If the mavs win this game, the series will most likely go into game 7. 93-90 Mavs
Old 04-29-2004, 09:33 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:

I can remember people disagreeing with me on the Redd issue. Why? I supposed it was because alot of people simply didn't know much about who he was and what he could do. At the age of 24, he's already putting up 22 a game. He's a career 46% shooter from the field, 40.5% from the floor, and 83.8% from the line.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #65
Bookit
Diamond Member

Finley off to a good start.[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

fin...why in the hell did you try and take a shot from that far underneath the bucket? What happened? You get the shot blocked and it leads to the break which leads to the foul on dirk. make smart decisions.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #67
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Finley...0-2 off the start.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #68
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

I love it every thing near the bucket.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #69
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
Quote:

This one is on Cuban. He screwed this one up bigtime. Nellie has alluded to this fact delicately through the media.

One of the reasons the jury is still out on nellie for me, cubes is a pretty strong personality and I have to wonder how much of the recent trades were cubes..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #70
dude1394
Guru

Quit whining every mavs has taken it right to the rack.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #71
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Nice layup by Walker
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #72
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
Quote:

One of the reasons the jury is still out on nellie for me, cubes is a pretty strong personality and I have to wonder how much of the recent trades were cubes..
Nellie's coaching philosophies are enough for me to be totally out on him returning as the coach.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #73
PubaNWO

Great "D" from Walker!

Wow he makes the most difficult shots and misses the easiest!

Nice board!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #74
dude1394
Guru

Boy mike, come on and continue to be aggressive. Good walk, something that's NOT a 3.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #75
Murphy3
Guru

Great start for Walker
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #76
dude1394
Guru

Woo HOO!!!! 12-2.....
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #77
PubaNWO

HELL YEAH!

NASH BABY!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #78
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Boy mike, come on and continue to be aggressive. Good walk, something that's NOT a 3.
Aggressiveness is one thing but throwing up an unintelligent shot is another...
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #79
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I all of a sudden have a good feeling about this game... 12-2 mavs
Old 04-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #80
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Aggressiveness is one thing but throwing up an unintelligent shot is another...
Give him some credit... at least he made it.