Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default GSW Second Best Team Remaining?

John Hollinger seems to think so.

"Just in case I haven't hammered this point home yet: Golden State with a healthy Baron Davis and a healthy Jason Richardson is a scary, scary team. The Warriors score, they pressure the ball and force turnovers, they can spread the floor with shooters and run you ragged, and (shhhh!) they even have a real center, if they feel like playing one, in the rapidly improving Andris Biedrins.

That said, I would quibble with the Warriors' outranking the Suns for one reason: It assumes perfect health. In Golden State's case, this may be a cavalier assumption. Davis has a bad hammy that could limit him in the Utah series, while Matt Barnes also is wounded. And even if Davis can overcome the hamstring problem, there's no guarantee he won't hurt something else three days from now.

But fully healthy? I'd take these Warriors over just about anybody. Even without home court they're a solid favorite against Utah in Round 2, and are good enough that they could knock off Phoenix and shock the world if they got to the conference finals. Well, if they played Phoenix, that is. Which would be the greatest series ever, but probably won't happen, because there's one little problem in the way ..."

From his new article. Anyone with Insider mind posting the whole thing?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

and I agree. nobody is giving the warriors any credit but they are a very good team. Like i've said countless times before, if they had this roster from the beginning of the year and healthy, they would be one of the top teams in the NBA. I hope people realize this if they beat the other teams. It wasn't necessarily that the mavs sucked (they didn't play too well anyways...) but the warriors are a good team. maybe if people see that they can beat another team, then they won't be so hard on the mavs...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

You'd think that, but a lot of the players on that team are remarkably inconsistent. You don't know how surprised I was to learn that Baron shot a mere 30% from 3 in the regular season.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

That's beyond ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Turns out Hollinger was right all along about the Mavs. I'm thinking he might be right here as well.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

They aren't even second best remaining in the West. They are clearly behind the Suns and Spurs imo.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

spurs
suns
pistons
warriors
jazz
cavs/nets/bulls
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

I will consider GS a contender when I see consistent play from them against a team not named the Mavs. I guess we'll find out tonight.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

^ i second that
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

No way GS beats SA or Phx. I am not sure what their regular season record is against these teams. Barnes has surprized me with his good and scrappy play. The Lakers and GS would have been a good series and i think Denver beats GS and i pick a physical Utah team to beat GS. They hung this first game and was within 4 points. No doubt Nelson has done a great job and has them believing. I thought Murphy was a good player but as it turns out getting what they did made GS alot better. I was never impressed with Dunleavy.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is that they DONT spread the floor with shooters. They just happened to be hot against dallas. Baron davis is ANYTHING but a shooter. They have exactly one player with above a 35% career 3pt shooting percentage and he roles in at an amazing 35.1.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

Golden State is just built to beat a team like ours. Utah will put them out in 5 or 6.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
the problem is that they DONT spread the floor with shooters. They just happened to be hot against dallas. Baron davis is ANYTHING but a shooter. They have exactly one player with above a 35% career 3pt shooting percentage and he roles in at an amazing 35.1.
Plus if you look at their overall shooting averages, they weren't even that hot against Dallas.

I still contend Dallas just played like crap, period.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Plus if you look at their overall shooting averages, they weren't even that hot against Dallas.

I still contend Dallas just played like crap, period.
dallas did play like crap but they shot well, barnes shot 40 percent on threes, davis shot 46%, and stephen jackson shot 48% since those last 2 took a bunch thats a huge deal.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
dallas did play like crap but they shot well, barnes shot 40 percent on threes, davis shot 46%, and stephen jackson shot 48% since those last 2 took a bunch thats a huge deal.
Individual players shot well, but if you look at their team percentages they were very much in line with their regular season.

Don't forget, Harrington was a complete no show.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
spurs
suns
pistons
warriors
jazz
cavs/nets/bulls
I think I am putting the Pistons at number 1 on any list. They are currently dominating a very good Chicago team.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
I think I am putting the Pistons at number 1 on any list. They are currently dominating a very good Chicago team.
I think last season taught the Pistons to pace themselves. They have looked amazing in the playoffs so far. I don't think it's out of the question that they could beat the Spurs or Suns in the Finals.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:

Don't forget, Harrington was a complete no show.
yeah...'cause he was a key to the series.... (insert obvious sarcasm icon here:______)

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
yeah...'cause he was a key to the series.... (insert obvious sarcasm icon here:______)
I'm confused, is this real sarcams or fake sarcasm?

Harrington's arguably their second best player. I bet if you had told Golden State fans that Harrington would be gawd awful for the entire series, they wouldn't have felt real confident.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly.

I continue to take the position that GSW is a very ordinary team that matched up well and played over their heads against a Mavs team that stunk to the high heavens. They play with gimmicks and sometimes it pays off when everything is clicking. They might push the Jazz some but in the end Utah is the better team. I predict next year the Warriors will be in the middle of the pack.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I'm confused, is this real sarcams or fake sarcasm?

Harrington's arguably their second best player. I bet if you had told Golden State fans that Harrington would be gawd awful for the entire series, they wouldn't have felt real confident.
and hes a career 34% three point shooter.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:05 AM   #22
Gaddabout

Gaddabout is on a distinguished road

Matchups, matchups, matchups. The Warriors don't match up as well against the Spurs or the Suns as they do the Mavs. The Mavs matched up well with the Spurs and looked strong against the Suns.

Some people think it's irony. It's just basketball. Small things become big, gigantic, black holes that are impossible to cover up because there's so much time in between games and it's just that much more time to focus on a single team.
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #23
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
Turns out Hollinger was right all along about the Mavs. I'm thinking he might be right here as well.
Eat shit, primate. You just happen to like what he said, it's not some intellectual breakthrough.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #24
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

Give me a break. Baron will not continue to shoot 50% from the 3 point line. They played out of their minds against us. GS is not even close to the 2nd best team. They are not as good as the Spurs, Pistons or Suns and probably at least 2 other teams mentioned above.